• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

I have one and plenty of Crystal Sage's souls so yeah, when you see me online, send me a message and I will drop it to you.
Thanks so much!

I'm going to run through Bloodborne again in the next few weeks. After that, I'm going to need a new game. Preferably an RPG. Does anyone have any recs for an RPG on ps4? I've only played From Soft games on my ps4, so any suggestion would be great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks so much!

I'm going to run through Bloodborne again in the next few weeks. After that, I'm going to need a new game. Preferably an RPG. Does anyone have any recs for an RPG on ps4? I've only played From Soft games on my ps4, so any suggestion would be great.
Salt and Sanctuary!!

I just wish I knew what it does. Everything I've seen on it has been debunked.
Not being a pvp'er it's not something I pay much attention to myself, but they've said it's working as intended so I accept that. I assumed it's just a type of hyper armour stat that works somewhat similar to how it did in Demon's?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not being a pvp'er it's not something I pay much attention to myself, but they've said it's working as intended so I accept that. I assumed it's just a type of hyper armour stat that works somewhat similar to how it did in Demon's?
Hyper armour in DS3 has nothing to do with poise, it simply depends on the weapons/attacks.

Prevaling theory now is it is hyper armor that lets you complete attacks once hit.
Er, no. That was poise in DS1...

Soulhouf

Thanks so much!

It depends of your style of RPGs but I liked Exist Archive, Natural Doctrine and Trails of Cold Steel a lot.
Valkyria Chronicles and Odin Sphere aren't new games but they are great.

Hyper armour in DS3 has nothing to do with poise, it simply depends on the weapons/attacks.

Doesn't poise reduce the damage you take when you're performing a hyper armor attack or something like that?
Also I believe you can't perform some of hyper armor attacks unless you have enough poise.

Hollycat

I actually didn't know this...I had a spare slot for rings and put it down thinking I'd do more counter-damage...damn you Fromsoooooooooooooooooooooooooft!

What? You found NG++ easier than NG what in the flipping turdsicles?

SEE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE, STARK!

yeah, i kinda just blew through ng+@++ dancers twinblades, manakete claws, and the farron greatsword. died a handful of times maximum.
ng i died all over the place, especially in lothric and londo..

I keep switching my claws between poison and raw. poison damage is negligible, but i love watching opponents freak out as they see bleed and poison bars filling super quickly. theyll often make a lot of mistakes in response.

Man, my 60 Faith build is absolutely crazy in PvE. I use Dragonslayer's Axe + Lightning Weapon for melee and Sunlight Spear for nukes. I dropped NG++ Iudex Gundyr so quick he barely had time to transform into his 2nd phase. I one-shot Lothric Knights. I can nearly one-shot red phantoms with Sunlight Spear, if they're dumb/unlucky enough to get hit by it at point-blank range. This does not happen often. I was using ember + Dried Finger + Way of Blue at High Wall to help the bluebros get some concords, and man they were shitty tonight. The red phantoms won every time except once. And I kept getting my ass handed to me by this dude with the Tryhard Winswords + Crystal Magic Weapon on them. Holy shit he did so much damage with his stupid stagger combo. I'm SL120 with 39 Vigor, Life Ring +2 and ember, and he was taking me down to like 10% HP before I could roll away.

*Edit: And free-aiming Sunlight Spear is literally the hardest thing. Literally. Pyromancy is EZ-mode by comparison.

embrace the power of the dancersntwinswords and tear your enemies to pieces.
also ricards rapier is your friend

lol

ajb1888

Banned
Thanks so much!

Diablo III can be quite the time sink. Different than Souls, but great fun too

EDIT: Other games are showing issues too. Will remove this post and take it to general PC help thread.

What kind of trouble are you experiencing?

yeah, i kinda just blew through ng+@++ dancers twinblades, manakete claws, and the farron greatsword. died a handful of times maximum.
ng i died all over the place, especially in lothric and londo..

I keep switching my claws between poison and raw. poison damage is negligible, but i love watching opponents freak out as they see bleed and poison bars filling super quickly. theyll often make a lot of mistakes in response.

in NG I died a few times to common mobs and bosses but NG++ I feel like I'm dying to bosses more. Dragonslayer went down on my 2nd attempt in NG but took like three or four tries in NG++. Still haven't beaten The Champ or The Nameless.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm playing offline, so I'm not bothered about my soul level getting too high, but the Anri sword is ridiculously good.

I'm not sure how much the strength/dex scaling is adding to it, but at +5 with 45 luck its at around 485 - a one hit kill on the unlit wax head scholars in NG++. God knows how monsterous it could get if I keep putting into it.

Lightning weapons now scaling with Faith is pretty fucking cool!

Got a Lightning Black Blade +7 right now, the move set is great. R2 dash slash is extremely useful and the 2H R2 charge is brutal.

Also using Pontiff's Right Eye ring and I really dig that sound effect signaling the boost.

Edit: Added spoiler tags to the images. Don't read the comic if you haven't finished Siegward's questline.

A fan comic (source):

tumblr_o9e9sfpPSz1qc2gymo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o9e9sfpPSz1qc2gymo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_o9e9sfpPSz1qc2gymo3_1280.jpg

be wary of sadness
in short tears ahead

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
be wary of sadness
in short tears ahead
It's well drawn and all, but I can't say I was very moved by this particular subplot. We have no reason to care about it. :p

But maybe I'm just annoyed at the massive clicking required to go through those quotes/spoiler tags. Anyone who wants to check out that comic, do yourself a favour and just go to the source, LOL

Ferr986

Problem with Yorhm is that there's basically nothing lore-wise for him. He's just there....

Wonder if DLC, cut content, or they just didn't care.

Tarkus

Problem with Yorhm is that there's basically nothing lore-wise for him. He's just there....

I don't see anything about him in the lore of the known unused content. His armor is there but there's no description with it.

Hm? Yhorm has one of the more endearing backstories, I thought.

Same here. He seems to be the only really "good" Lord of Cinder. Abyss Watchers could be argued for, but it sounds like they were pretty fanatical. Hawkwood said they destroyed entire kingdoms at the first sign of abyss exposure, presumably killing a shitload of people in the process.

It's well drawn and all, but I can't say I was very moved by this particular subplot. We have no reason to care about it. :p

But maybe I'm just annoyed at the massive clicking required to go through those quotes/spoiler tags. Anyone who wants to check out that comic, do yourself a favour and just go to the source, LOL

Whaaat. Even with zero lore knowledge, it's still a story of
a guy keeping a promise to kill his dear friend

And yeah that's true. I originally posted it without tags but I've already had someone in this thread freak out when I posted a "spoiler" so I played it safe.

There's definitely some lore to him. It's Dark Souls though so you gotta dig. Fortunately we have people on YouTube who do that for us!

Dark Souls 3 ► Lore of the Main Bosses (Yhorm @ 16:23)

Mistel

Banned
I don't see anything about him in the lore of the known unused content. His armor is there but there's no description with it.
It does have a description associated with it:
Wikidot said:
Crown/Armor/Gauntlets/Leggings embedded with the soul of the old giant, Lord of Cinder. Reinforced with the protection of a giant, this item will repel all manner of attacks, holding fast against the wearer's enemies.
Not much but its better than nothing.

Deku Tree

How big do people expect the DLCs to be? Will both of them be each as big as the Bloodborne DLC? Were the DS2 DLCs each as big or bigger than the Bloodborne DLC? Trying to figure out what to expect. Thanks!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How do you punish the glaive's spin2win bullshit? I mean, other than just avoiding it and trying to get a hit in afterwards (hoping that they're out of stamina)? It seems uninterruptable and the tracking is ridiculous.

Tarkus

The thing about High Wall and Pontiff duel areas is that they're right next to bonfires. The area in your screenshot is a bit of a run.
But people don't spawn next to the bonfire in most cases. It takes 15 seconds to run from Cliffside bonfire to here. Jump down the roof and go down the stairs

But people don't spawn next to the bonfire in most cases. It takes 15 seconds to run from Cliffside bonfire to here. Jump down the roof and go down the stairs

Ah. Well then, it looks like a good place for a fight club.

I assume you're on PS4? Is anyone putting together a PC fight club these days? Last time I only found 1 other person.

Tarkus

How do you punish the glaive's spin2win bullshit? I mean, other than just avoiding it and trying to get a hit in afterwards (hoping that they're out of stamina)? It seems uninterruptable and the tracking is ridiculous.
Are you talking about the R2 double spin or the weapon skill? Either way, it's hard to deal with. Try unlocking when against it to give you more mobility. It's just the first hit of the skill that's unparryable if you want to chance a parry. I honestly haven't seen the regular Glaive in a long time, which is weird because it's a really nice weapon. Black Knight Glaive is pretty uncommon nowadays too. It's usually Gundyr's or the red hilted Halberd that I see.

Ah. Well then, it looks like a good place for a fight club.

I assume you're on PS4? Is anyone putting together a PC fight club these days? Last time I only found 1 other person.
DarkHeartedKill was up for it not too long ago.

So I really love the look of the Lucerne and don't really care for the BK glaive and Gundyr's because of how overused they are. I know I asked this earlier in this thread but is the Lucerne just overmatched by the other two halberds later on even with the Leo ring equipped? Is it just objectively worse with the same moveset because that would be dumb.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Are you talking about the R2 double spin or the weapon skill? Either way, it's hard to deal with. Try unlocking when against it to give you more mobility. It's just the first hit of the skill that's unparryable if you want to chance a parry. I honestly haven't seen the regular Glaive in a long time, which is weird because it's a really nice weapon. Black Knight Glaive is pretty uncommon nowadays too. It's usually Gundyr's or the red hilted Halberd that I see.

Not sure which it is, since I haven't used a halberd myself (yet). One is definitely a weapon art I think, from the sound and animation, it's a running lunge followed by a sweeping attack and it has absurd tracking, if I'm anywhere close during startup, mashing roll won't help. The other is a spin2win kind of attack with a jab at the end IIRC, all of which stunlock, track really well and do devastating damage.

Doing PvP in High Wall for the past hour and it was so fun. I got invaded like 8 times in a row by the same person - a Dark Sword R1 spammer - and killed him every time. If I landed my Sunlight Spear at point-blank range it killed him in 1 hit. On another invader I managed to parry a running Washing Pole attack, which I was very proud of. Out of maybe 20 invasions I only died twice, and one of those was to the stupid Pus of Man on top of the roof. Not bad!

2AdEPT

DarkHeartedKill was up for it not too long ago.

Ill do it also if Im on at the right time.

Tarkus

Not sure which it is, since I haven't used a halberd myself (yet). One is definitely a weapon art I think, from the sound and animation, it's a running lunge followed by a sweeping attack and it has absurd tracking, if I'm anywhere close during startup, mashing roll won't help. The other is a spin2win kind of attack with a jab at the end IIRC, all of which stunlock, track really well and do devastating damage.
Ahhhh, you're seeing two different weapons that look almost identical except for the weapon art: Gundyr's Halberd with the charge attack, and the regular Glaive with the spin sweep art. With Gundyr's, you can parry the charge very easily and the window to parry is huge. Even if you get hit once or twice, the parry will still go through.

For the Glaive, you can only parry the extra attacks of the art, so I wouldn't recommend it. You can roll to the side or behind the opponent and wait for the attack to finish so you can run in and get a backstab. You can almost guarantee that people are going to keep mashing R2 for the extra hits as well making it predictable.

KingKong

Has anyone been keeping up with ENBs 'lets plat Dark Souls 3'? I'm not sure what his plan is but I'm pretty sure if he keeps releasing 30 minute videos a few times a week it will take him a year to finish the series

Massa

Has anyone been keeping up with ENBs 'lets plat Dark Souls 3'? I'm not sure what his plan is but I'm pretty sure if he keeps releasing 30 minute videos a few times a week it will take him a year to finish the series

I think he's trying to catch all the lore and secrets he missed the first time, he'll probably play NG+ and NG++ much faster than that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

He's busy playing Hearthstone.

Top Bottom