• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Ferr986

Me either till I heard from someone else here that actually skipped it, who then got a nice surprise later on. lol.

In NG+, I killed it with 3 powerful fireballs before it even took 1 step. lol

Talking about fireballs, It can take a while but I'm sitll being summoned for AW with my SL50 with +6 glove pyro witch. It's hilarious how much they get rekt by Chaos Fireball.

Jingo

Some doubts for my fellow gaffera please:

Is it normal being in the undead settlement and i still use my knight sword? I tryed others like utchigana but it lacks the speed i need and i cant seem to let my first sword go!

How do infuse works? Everytime i try simulate the stats just come down instead of up, am i missing something besides upgrading the bonus stat?

Should i spare the titanium shards for later or should i keep upgrading my knight sword?

What are those locked doors at high lothric? Does they open later in the game or i didnt searched well?

Thank you all

Ferr986

Is it normal being in the undead settlement and i still use my knight sword? I tryed others like utchigana but it lacks the speed i need and i cant seem to let my first sword go!

How do infuse works? Everytime i try simulate the stats just come down instead of up, am i missing something besides upgrading the bonus stat?

Should i spare the titanium shards for later or should i keep upgrading my knight sword?

What are those locked doors at high lothric? Does they open later in the game or i didnt searched well?

Thank you all

The starter knight sword is viable till endgame, and you can buy shards later on, so feel free to upgrade it if you want to. People use Uchigatana because they may like the moveset more.

When infusing, take into account the base damage drops, but the scaling damage may go up (the + parameter next to the base damage).

So, if you're leveling DEX, and infuse the weapon with a Sharp stone, even though they base damage drops, the DEX scaling for the weapon goes up, compensating the loss of base damage and resulting in an overall greater damage at the end.

There's also stones that add, for example, fire damage, that will also drop base damage but add a secondary fire damage.

Can't remember any locked door that you can't acces there at the start...

Deku Tree

Thank you all

There is a locked gate right at the first bonfire on the high wall... it opens up a shortcut.

Jingo

The starter knight sword is viable till endgame, and you can buy shards later on, so feel free to upgrade it if you want to. People use Uchigatana because they may like the moveset more.

When infusing, take into account the base damage drops, but the scaling damage may go up (the + parameter next to the base damage).

So, if you're leveling DEX, and infuse the weapon with a Sharp stone, even though they base damage drops, the DEX scaling for the weapon goes up, compensating the loss of base damage and resulting in an overall greater damage at the end.

There's also stones that add, for example, fire damage, that will also drop base damage but add a secondary fire damage.

Can't remember any locked door that you can't acces there at the start...

I didnt know you could buy shards later so i think ill keep upgrading at will:)

I think i understand now the infuse, i had a feeling about it but now understand better the scaling of the weapon.

About the gates, yeah there are some locked , like 3 i cant open, i opened up one that leads to the dragon, another for a shortcut to the boss and a cell with an npc in it, but there are still 3 locked i think, did i failed searching?

Thank you for the help:)

17 Proofs down, and I'm getting summoned at a reasonable clip now.

Should have everything ready for my NG+ Darkmoon gotthard twin blades build by the end of the week, or sooner with a bit of luck.

Tarkus

SL91 And I've been having the best luck at the Grand Archives and Archdragon Peak.

I've been summoned to other areas,so I'm not sure if where you are matters.
Not entire sure on this, but being in the area seems to give you priority. Hell, I just want some blue action for a change.

So I just solo'd A
ldrich. He was about to teleport and I was like screw you, and smacked his tail and killed him. Almsot got me killed because his purple orbs came round and took off 50% of my health.
What SL did you guys face him?

I don't get it. I am trying to do a heavy str char. I just am. But game is not built to accomodate it.
Abyss Watchers
when I use my actual equipment - just not happening.
Abyss watchers
when I have taken off all heavy armor in favor of random light stuff and two handed a random butcher's knife - first try

I don't get it. I am trying to do a heavy str char. I just am. But game is not built to accomodate it.
Abyss Watchers
when I use my actual equipment - just not happening.
Abyss watchers
when I have taken off all heavy armor in favor of random light stuff and two handed a random butcher's knife - first try

Yeah, problem with heavy weapons is that they're super slow and that fight the enemy moves around quick. Also there's the whole deal with zero poise.

I bet there are just as many as real chests. The chain unfortunately shows you which is which. I hope bonfire mimics make it to the DLC.

Calm down there Satan...I don't need to have zero estus, a sliver of HP, and then die to a bonfire mimic. My heart just can't take it...

Ferr986

late game spoilers
noticed the eclipse is inconsistent when you beat the Dancer early. Lothric and the Settlement don't show the eclipse yet but it is up in Farron Keep.

So what's the consensus on what's worse, Pure Bladestone or Proofs of Concord?

I'm up to 15 out of 30 and it's tiring. The worst part is not being able to drop them for others or duplicate them.

LiK

So what's the consensus on what's worse, Pure Bladestone or Proofs of Concord?

I'm up to 15 out of 30 and it's tiring. The worst part is not being able to drop them for others or duplicate them.

Considering I never got the Pure Bladestone after hours and hours of farming, that's way worse.

Deku Tree

I am at I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley.
This guide says that I am
about to reach a point where I will get two different endings if I do two different things.

http://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

It says:

Anri Progress: This is the major dividing point in Anri's story. From here on out, if you want to follow her quest line to its conclusion, follow Anri A. If you want the Usurpation of Fire ending, follow Anri B

Anri A Progress: (Slayer of Aldrich Ending) You'll eventually come across the Church of Yorshka bonfire and Anri will be in the same room. Exhaust her dialogue to receive the Quiet Resolve Gesture and then look towards the side of the room that has some stone statues. One of these is actually a pilgrim sent by Yuria using the Chameleon spell. Slash away at the statues until you find him and make sure he's dead. He'll drop the Chameleon spell for you as well

Anri B Progress: (Lord of Hollows Ending) Exhaust Anri's dialogue to receive the Quiet Resolve Gesture and do nothing in regards to the pilgrim

Which one is better?

If I save my save to USB at this point... then how long
will it take me to rush to the end to get the other ending on this USB save
?

The damage balancing in this game is really bad. It's like starting with the Silver Knights onwards, they gave up on making the game consistent and just, "fuck it, everything kills you in 2 hits now. Everything." The design and encounters don't get worse. They just significantly ramp up the damage. It's really stupid and is bringing this game down quite a bit. And yeah, I'm wearing armor in every slot. The poise (or lack of it) and absurd enemy damage is screwing up what could maybe be the best of the 3.

I am at I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley.
This guide says that I am
about to reach a point where I will get two different endings if I do two different things.

http://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

It says:

Anri Progress: This is the major dividing point in Anri's story. From here on out, if you want to follow her quest line to its conclusion, follow Anri A. If you want the Usurpation of Fire ending, follow Anri B

Anri A Progress: (Slayer of Aldrich Ending) You'll eventually come across the Church of Yorshka bonfire and Anri will be in the same room. Exhaust her dialogue to receive the Quiet Resolve Gesture and then look towards the side of the room that has some stone statues. One of these is actually a pilgrim sent by Yuria using the Chameleon spell. Slash away at the statues until you find him and make sure he's dead. He'll drop the Chameleon spell for you as well

Anri B Progress: (Lord of Hollows Ending) Exhaust Anri's dialogue to receive the Quiet Resolve Gesture and do nothing in regards to the pilgrim

Which one is better?

If I save my save to USB at this point... then how long
will it take me to rush to the end to get the other ending on this USB save
?

The only big difference is that in B, you get
Yuria's stuff from the handmaiden after the final boss.

You get everything else, just with different events.

The damage balancing in this game is really bad. It's like starting with the Silver Knights onwards, they gave up on making the game consistent and just, "fuck it, everything kills you in 2 hits now. Everything." The design and encounters don't get worse. They just significantly ramp up the damage. It's really stupid and is bringing this game down quite a bit.

A friend that has played Bloodborne told me that DS3 is similar to Bloodborne in the damage and aggresivity of the enemies, and unlike Bloodborne, your character won't heal from attacks. Kinda the reason shields are not as "good" as previous games.

I beat DS1 with no much HP investment, but you won't catch me playing this without at least 27 VIG.

Arjen

The damage balancing in this game is really bad. It's like starting with the Silver Knights onwards, they gave up on making the game consistent and just, "fuck it, everything kills you in 2 hits now. Everything." The design and encounters don't get worse. They just significantly ramp up the damage. It's really stupid and is bringing this game down quite a bit. And yeah, I'm wearing armor in every slot. The poise (or lack of it) and absurd enemy damage is screwing up what could maybe be the best of the 3.

Funny enough the only thing that gives me problems with the poise system is those damn rats and dogs.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fuck I really wish you could use spells mid combo. Like two hits into combustion would be wild

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How the hell does invasion matchmaking work? Doesn't it take weapon upgrade and level into account? I have a low level character with weak weapons invading the High Wall and keep invading people in NG+ with end-game gear. WTF?

Tarkus

How the hell does invasion matchmaking work? Doesn't it take weapon upgrade and level into account? I have a low level character with weak weapons invading the High Wall and keep invading people in NG+ with end-game gear. WTF?
People gave friends dropping them end game gear.

It's supposed to. Levels vary from covenant to covenant, and with weapons it's supposed to be a difference of +/- 2, while at +7 you get matched up to +10. With weapons that only go to +5 each level counts as 2.

This shows everything you need to know: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

Edit: looks like at +5 the number goes from +2 to +3...weird

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's supposed to. Levels vary from covenant to covenant, and with weapons it's supposed to be a difference of +/- 2, while at +7 you get matched up to +10. With weapons that only go to +5 each level counts as 2.

This shows everything you need to know: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator
...Yes. I know.

I'm wondering if this is accurate because I am level 21 with a +1 weapon and invading people with clearly stronger equipment.

Low level friend can set up a password with someone who drops for them. Are you on PS4? I'll drop you some equalizers.

....I give up

...Yes. I know.

I'm wondering if this is accurate because I am level 21 with a +1 weapon and invading people with clearly stronger equipment.

....I give up

Lol I know what you're getting at. I was just linking it because apparently that's how it works. My only guess is that they have weapons that are upgraded within your range, but have like sharp and have high dex, or have heavy and high str, etc. Other than that maybe the game is borked

Newboi

It's weird seeing ENB enter
Old Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith
from the bonfire near the
Old Demon King
boss door. I thought the
giant worm and giant arbalist
would naturally lead you to run to the breakable flooring, which drops you into the
Old Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith
. Coming from the opposite direction will make the area seem to end with no real sense of direction.

I'm at least happy there's a chance he'll get to the
Untended Graves
after he goes to the
Consumed Kings Gardens

SDR-UK

Could be but...
I saw a black knight greatsword. 1-handed. There is no way someone is in my level range with those stats. :S

There are rings that increase stats independently of levels. I'm not sure of the actual requirements, but assuming he's not leveling anything outside of dexterity and strength and then using the rings (Knight and Hunter), it's entirely plausible.

Could be but...
I saw a black knight greatsword. 1-handed. There is no way someone is in my level range with those stats. :S

Knight ring increases STR by 5 which means he only needs 25 more STR. There's also a Ring that increases DEX by 5. Warrior starts with 16 STR and 9 DEX and is only lvl 7 which means he only needs to level up his STR 9 times and his DEX 4 times making him level 20. He'd be super squishy unless he invested some into VIG, but it's possible.

Newboi

Nah the end point is the arbalest which then has a path back down to the lake.

Well ENB came from
The Old Demon King
entrance, which puts you very close to the path that leads to the
arbalist
. He took that path already. He then finds
The Old King's AnteChamber
bonfire, which leads him to believe there's more ahead, but in reality, he's approaching the area in reverse.

KHlover

Banned
Knight ring increases STR by 5 which means he only needs 25 more STR. There's also a Ring that increases DEX by 5. Warrior starts with 16 STR and 9 DEX and is only lvl 7 which means he only needs to level up his STR 9 times and his DEX 4 times making him level 20. He'd be super squishy unless he invested some into VIG, but it's possible.
Don't forget the Carthus ring that makes you invisible while rolling. That one gives another 3 DEX.

Don't forget the Carthus ring that makes you invisible while rolling. That one gives another 3 DEX.

That gives DEX? I thought it was purely aesthetic. So there's three more levels he probably pumped into VIT/VIG.

Why is DS2 rated teen and DS3 rated mature? Seems like the same level of blood and violence.

I find DaS 3 to have a lot more blood. Smack someone with a sword and it's like Niagara Falls of blood.

Edit: DaS 1 was also rated M. I blame Miyazaki he was the lead director for 1 & 3 and they both got M ratings.

Top Bottom