• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Uh... what? I was surprised to see my character still looked hollow going from NG+ to ++, but I thought it wasn't big deal and I would just heal my Dark Sigil.

Except the game says I have no Dark Sigil. Don't tell me the game glitched and now I look like shit permanently.

You can use a purging stone to heal your hollowing. IIRC going to NG+ will get rid of the Dark Sigil key item but not your hollowing stat (I guess for characters that want to retain the Luck bonuses).

That's weird. try to heal hollowing with velka statue?

hollowing does carry to NG++ etc so that part isn't really new.

edit: try using purging stone and see what happens.

I know that hollowing carrys to NG+, but I'm not sure about dark sigil.
You can use a purging stone to heal your hollowing. IIRC going to NG+ will get rid of the Dark Sigil key item but not your hollowing stat (I guess for characters that want to retain the Luck bonuses).

Yep it worked. Thanks guys.

Uh... what? I was surprised to see my character still looked hollow going from NG+ to ++, but I thought it wasn't big deal and I would just heal my Dark Sigil.

Except the game says I have no Dark Sigil. Don't tell me the game glitched and now I look like shit permanently.

My best guess to what can fix it is to hollow more if you can, then try to heal the Dark Sigil again.

Someone want to drop me 15 proofs?
They really need to being back the blue eye orb. I hope a patch or dlc adds it

Can't trade em. I've tried with a friend, I can drop em but he doesn't see them.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished Cathedral of the Deep, but I went back to read up on some NPCs and realized that (Anri spoilers)
I finished Catacombs of Carthus before I did the Cathedral. Does that mean I screwed myself out of the Anri questline? Or will I still be able to meet him later?
I'm doing the Yoel/Yuria questline, and she mentioned something about Anri, so I want to make sure I didn't screw it up.

2AdEPT

I just finished Cathedral of the Deep, but I went back to read up on some NPCs and realized that (Anri spoilers)
I finished Catacombs of Carthus before I did the Cathedral. Does that mean I screwed myself out of the Anri questline? Or will I still be able to meet him later?
I'm doing the Yoel/Yuria questline, and she mentioned something about Anri, so I want to make sure I didn't screw it up.

from what you wrote you didnt screw it up...but I think you cant tell Anri about
seeing/killing her thug in smoldering lake
or you will screw up the quest line. You also cant kill
a silly statue in the church of yorshka
. OTW its on to major location spoiler
Anor Londo

So I started a challenge run of the game, where whenever I go to level up, I have a dice roll determine what stat I level up, and the class is chosen at random as well.

Code:
Dark Souls 3 random level up challenge

The rules:
- Starting class is chosen at random (I personally excluded Knight, Warrior, Mercenary, and Deprived)
- Starting gift is chosen at random
- Respecs aren't allowed (obviously)

- Leveling up are only allowed after lighting a new bonfire or unlocking a shortcut that leads
  back to a previous bonfire
- When leveling up, roll a 1d9 (or a d10 and use the 10 as a reroll)
  that number corresponds to the stat screen in descending order (1 = Vig, 2 = Attn, etc...)
  Put all of the points possible in that stat

- Once the Fire Keeper is spoken to, leveling up must be done immediately
- Once trips to supply at the Firelink are finished, a death is committed to reset the souls to 0
- Grinding may be done to buy items but not for leveling

[s]- A weapon must be infused before it can be upgraded[/s]
- Once a weapon is infused, it cannot be given a new infusion
- Any infusion that sacrifices stat scaling for base damage is banned
- Hollowing is banned (Hollow infusion to give weapons luck scaling are not)

The idea behind the challenge is to have a character that must improvise based on getting "weird" level ups.

I decided not to include classes like Knight and similar classes because they are so capable right at base level, and Deprived is too much of a clean slate, I wanted a sense of stat randomization before the game even started. TBH I was hoping to get Herald as an excuse to play as one.

The dice gave me Sorcerer, which is arguably a challenge class on its own.

Right away I start to understand what people mean by this class having a hard time. It needs both types of estuses more than other characters and runs out of regular estus all the time because it needs to heal if it is so much as sneezed on. It doesn't help that during High Wall, nothing dropped any armor except for a Lothric Shield which I didn't have the strength for.

My first level up after Firelink Shrine gave me Endurance, which was actually pretty good because the Sorcerer starts with a knife, so it makes sense. The Sorcerer can also equip the Rapier off the bat once it's found so it ended up being a great first level up. Unfortunately this character stops being lucky right after.

During different level ups, the dice roller RNG decided that I should level up Int, which was very disappointing, as the RNG had decided that as a Sorcerer, I was going to stay within its playstyle for a little while longer (and now I am past 20 Int so Int will be a big part of my character in the long term). I got a couple of Luck points, but that is a dud stat as of right now. And finally, Vitality which is kind of cool, but the most I can do with it is put on Master's gear to fast roll (which I tried but ended up being suicide as the Thralls with the dart shooters rip my poor wizard apart).

---

I might continue to adjust the rules of this challenge, like removing the requirement to infuse a weapon because it's too hard to get infusions without a lot of farming.

I have a question for people that have beaten Da
ncer
. Do you guys
Fight dancer right after you defeated your third Cinder boss, or do you run out of the room/homeward out, level up, then come back and fight her? My first playthrough I was like "talking to her is gonna end in bad things happening...let's do it anyway!" -cut scene of dancer crawling from ceiling- CRAP! *start* *quit game* lol

Persona7

Banned
ncer
. Do you guys
Fight dancer right after you defeated your third Cinder boss, or do you run out of the room/homeward out, level up, then come back and fight her? My first playthrough I was like "talking to her is gonna end in bad things happening...let's do it anyway!" -cut scene of dancer crawling from ceiling- CRAP! *start* *quit game* lol

I think the fight triggers when you walk towards the statue in the back. I had to use a homeward bone when I did it because I had like 270k souls lol.

ncer
. Do you guys

I had like 4 estus left with half health after
Yhorm, got transported, see the door close, thought "oh fuck me", got awed by Dancer's appearance, decided to fight, got her on 1st try.

I was very lucky. I had way more trouble with that boss when helping people than my solo blind run.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
from what you wrote you didnt screw it up...but I think you cant tell Anri about
seeing/killing her thug in smoldering lake
or you will screw up the quest line. You also cant kill
a silly statue in the church of yorshka
. OTW its on to major location spoiler
Anor Londo

Thanks! Went to the Catacombs and managed to move the quest along. Will keep the other things in mind as I go through the game!

Meccs

The +1/+2 rings are not really worth it. The difference is so small. Someone just dropped a RoF +2 for me and it's kinda meh. Probably a good thing so you don't force someone through NG+++.

I had like 4 estus left with half health after
Yhorm, got transported, see the door close, thought "oh fuck me", got awed by Dancer's appearance, decided to fight, got her on 1st try.

I was very lucky. I had way more trouble with that boss when helping people than my solo blind run.

Damn the same happened with a friend of mine. I went to her after and got my ass handed to me. I'm kind of upset at myself, my blind play through I was so eager to just beat the game I summoned for six bosses. However, I made a new character and I've solo'd two of those six so far :p

Yeah I do and constantly get the "your message was rated" thing show up

According to my xbox my NAT is Open. Not sure if the relates to NAT type 3, as for the UPNP I'll try that out thanks!

Hmmm. If messages show up, and not even password summons work, you might be softbanned :/

I think the fight triggers when you walk towards the statue in the back. I had to use a homeward bone when I did it because I had like 270k souls lol.
My first time I had just finished beating A
ldrich
and didn't wanna lose dem souls.

I just noticed that I never got the achievement for beating
The Nameless King
despite beating him a couple of days ago on PC. Fuck this broken ass game.

Ferr986

ncer
. Do you guys

I played a lot of the alpha so I got her first time without warping. I have more problems helping in coop than solo with that fight :/

Banzai

I just noticed that I never got the achievement for beating
The Nameless King
despite beating him a couple of days ago on PC. Fuck this broken ass game.

That happened for me with the
Usurpation of Fire
ending achievment because Steam was in offline mode at the time :(

Ooh, looks like we're finally getting a balance regulation: reddit link with more info

Main Adjustments: 1. Adjusted the efficiency of the Great shield category 2. Adjusted the consuming FP of the Magic Spell Category 3. Adjusted the efficiency of the category below: - Dragon Slayer’s Axe - Crescent Axe - Dark Drift - Washing Pole - Moonlight Great Sword 4. Fixed the shield penetration rate of the partial attack in the scythe category 5. Fixed the stamina attack of the partial weapon category. 6. Improved the matching of the Blade of the Darkmoon and the Blue Sentinels covenants. 7. Improved the password matching rate 8. Improved other game balance 9. Several game flaws fixed

Meccs

Not sure why people consider Black Knight Glaive as OP. It's not more OP than all the Long Swords or Washing Pole, Estoc, Gotthard, Black Knight Axe etc. I also hear everyone uses it in PvP but I'm doing nothing but PvP and probably 1 out of 20 uses a Halberd in PvP at Level 60-90. Halberds are the most fun for me.

Pretty mediocre in gank situations if they rush you though. If you can't keep the space, it's lights out. Haven't found a weapon that counters that yet. Any suggestions, something to try out for good fun?

Can you use the "Reattribute Skills" option to level down? I'm wondering if I could continue to level up past 120 for PvE, and then go back to 120 later.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They are nering my washing pole :(

Yeah. I imagine it'll be an increase in Stamina usage and/or slow down the swing speed.

Currently, WP does (roughly) 20-50 points more damage (on a Quality build), has greater range, similar swing speed, and uses exactly the same amount of stamina as any other katana. Nerfing it might make the others a bit more attractive, though I imagine everyone will move to the O&U if they haven't already. Those things are an absolute monster. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another nerf down the road.

Hopefully, they'll beast up the Darkdrift. Seems a bit useless compared to the others at the moment.

O&U are fantastic in PVE but I find its moveset kind of terrible in PVP, it's a weapon that depends on a high damage output to make up for the moveset.

Meccs

5 out of 10 people are lagging like crazy today for some reason. Those people probably think they are good when they kill me from a mile away ...

They are nering my washing pole :(

How do you know? Did I miss something?
Ah found it!

"6. Improved the matching of the Blade of the Darkmoon and the Blue Sentinels covenants."
Lets hope that works! This completely ignores the "Steam family share" thing though....

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
O&U are fantastic in PVE but I find its moveset kind of terrible in PVP, it's a weapon that depends on a high damage output to make up for the moveset.

I've had pretty good results with them recently with my 40/40 split (+10, no buffs) samurai build in PvP. I love the moveset. L1 tears people to pieces! It's third combo (I think) throws the U out and catches back rolls nicely. Weapon Art is superb for punishing them too.

neoism

Because the items at 30 aren't needed for any trophies/achievements. You can still collect 30 though, and get unique weapons and staffs I believe.

holy shit yes...
yidUzHnBk32Um9aMMw.gif

my ocd will fuck me though ��

Minamu

They are. I don't remember them all but I know you at least need max rank of Mound Makers for Warmth and Darkmoon for Darkmoon Blade. Pretty sure Sunbros gives Great Lighting Spear as well .
Yes you need 30 for those, but not for Aldritch and Rosaria's, which is what he asked :)

Edit: Looks like it's time to stop farming the knights until tomorrow's patch comes out! Although at almost SL 180, I don't think I'll be cooping much anyway :'(

These drops rates for these things are atrocious. 1.68% at max item discovery for Wolf Grass? Are you kidding me?
Wolfgrass has been the highest yield for me, I run through between Keep Perimeter bonfire and Abyss Watchers door and usually get at least 1 every 2 runs, I got 3 on a single run yesterday. Already got enough Pale Tongues.

I know it's probably just my brain seeing patterns that don't exist, but it seems like the spear or bow SIlver Knights drop concords more than the sword ones. Probably bullshit.

Goddamn at this pyro guy, his free aim is scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmvS96B2_xg

Seriously, its like the dude always knows where his rival will go

Playing as a sorcerer for the first time and trying to free aim at stationary targets (which is a lot harder than you would think especially since the way your character faces is such a huge factor in your aim) gave me so much more respect for that player and I already held him in very high regard.

bosseye

I am bad at this game.

I am slow at this game.

I did however beat the Curse Rotted Greatwood on my 10th (11th?) try and felt good. Thus I don't mind that after 9 hours play I've only just reached the Road of Sacrifice, I'm really enjoying myself.

I think my technique for Dark Souls (and Bloodborne) is basically like taking off stickers, pick away at the corners until you find one where progress seems more likely and then very slowly start to make your move.

I will say though, after taking a break to finish Uncharted 4, holy shit DS3 feels janky in comparison. I've adjusted now, but blimey.

Meccs

Since we now know the exact summoning range, fight clubs are pretty ridiculous in my opinion. If the Host ist Level 80 for example he can summon Level 62 to 98. That is a huge difference! You might have a level 65 against a level 90 or even higher. Factor in the lag and that leaves you with what exactly? A lottery at best.

As far as I know, if you use a password, your level gets scaled to the level of the host? Why don't they use the same for normal summons?

Since we now know the exact summoning range, fight clubs are pretty ridiculous in my opinion. If the Host ist Level 80 for example he can summon Level 62 to 98. That is a huge difference! You might have a level 65 against a level 90 or even higher. Factor in the lag and that leaves you with what exactly? A lottery at best.
I suppose that's true, but in any game playing with randoms never quite stacks up to organized play, so I would just consider it a for fun activity if you're not organizing a fight club with a password.

Plus that's about the level range you'd get in Bloodborne anyway.

Top Bottom