• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Dahbomb

Got trolled by a Mad Phantom.

Turns out he was in league with the host and then I got put against a 3 man gank squad with no help from the purple.

Dahbomb

You guys who were using the fingers and needed invasion, try doing it on top of that place where the Demon is. That's usually where the host usually is when I invade them.

Tarkus

Why don't we all have a massive fight club at Wolf of Farron Bonfire? GAF is password. Everybody invited.
Take me drunk I'm home, you'll all beat me so I'll host. I'll challenge the winner in summoning lulls.

jonjonaug

What was your SL and where?! What level upgrade was your weapon, what armour were you wearing, what did you eat? TELL ME EVERYTHING! EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

SL125, +10 Heavy Large club, Winged Armor set, "where" was all throughout the game, and I think I ate a salad and some whole grain chips and some chicken and some pizza at my computer while playing Dark Souls over the past couple days. I just left the covenant thing equipped while going through NG+2. Where I was only seemed to be somewhat correlated to where I was summoned. Usually I would be summoned around where I was, but sometimes I ended up in other areas too. Once I got summoned into the Kiln of the First Flame while wandering around Farron Keep.

SL125, +10 Heavy Large club, Winged Armor set, "where" was all throughout the game, and I think I ate a salad and some whole grain chips and some chicken and some pizza at my computer while playing Dark Souls over the past couple days. I just left the covenant thing equipped while going through NG+2. Where I was only seemed to be somewhat correlated to where I was summoned. Usually I would be summoned around where I was, but sometimes I ended up in other areas too. Once I got summoned into the Kiln of the First Flame while wandering around Farron Keep.

Hmmmmmm. I'm SL 125 too, and have a +5 boss weapon(which is the same as having a regular +10 weapon.) I think I know what I was doing wrong, I've been eating meat and neglecting fruits, vegetables, grains and dairy. Maybe From is trying to get me to eat food from all the food groups...yeah when you have it equipped it prioritizes the area you're in. However, if after an undetermined amount of time passed and haven't summoned in the area you're in, it searches for other areas to summon you to.

Good news is my SL and weapon upgrade aren't the problem, so it's just Fromsoft being dumb.

Sarcasm

Will grind to 125. The way it works is it tries you current location then as time goes on it suppose to widen the area of selection.

Thats better then watching them traverse the fog and you can't. You can get hit by the boss through it though. I have also gotten this while another summon was able to go through. It is a fight where you can have more then one summon lol.

I've lost count of how many times I had to stand there and watch in horror as my host slowly got decimated by the boss.

While all I could do is spam "Help me!" & "I'm sorry".

What the fuck. I was just dealing with 2 red phantom invaders, when a blue phantom was summoned. Ok cool, 2 v 2 now with my Bluebro. Except the blue phantom killed me. Can a red or purple phantom somehow disguise themself as a blue phantom? I'm so confused. I didn't think a 1 v 3 was possible when I'm the host.

Persona7

Banned
Has anyone looked through the files for unfinished areas/cut yet?

wow, Eygon disappeared on my new file after one of those stupid enemies followed me and attacked me when I was talking to him

I decided to upgrade Moonlight Greatsword and slap on some magic increasing gear like Dusk Crown. The 2handed R2 has some super armor on it (or at least poise might actually be working on this move), but I've been blowing through invaders attacks with it. It also does some pretty beefy damage, especially if you intend to trade a charged R2 with them, it also can catch them backrolling.

Will grind to 125. The way it works is it tries you current location then as time goes on it suppose to widen the area of selection.

I'm pretty sure it works the other way around. When a Way of blue gets invaded it looks for a suitable Blue Sentinel in the same area and if none is found looks in the next area.
I was getting summoned from the Farron Keep into the Undead Settlement, so I just moved there and after that I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes.

Mad phantoms tend to invade when the host has a white phantom, so if the mad isn't patient it can be over very fast, sometimes I got the reward without even finding the other players.

Maybe I should test what's it like at SL 125. I doubt the equipment has anything to do with it.

I've never tried as a blade since I was already over 30 when I got it.

MilkBeard

What the fuck. I was just dealing with 2 red phantom invaders, when a blue phantom was summoned. Ok cool, 2 v 2 now with my Bluebro. Except the blue phantom killed me. Can a red or purple phantom somehow disguise themself as a blue phantom? I'm so confused. I didn't think a 1 v 3 was possible when I'm the host.

Not possible for a Blue summon to kill you. Be aware that there are blue-purple tinted phantoms, which are the area-invade covenants. Their goal is to fuck your shit up.

2AdEPT

What are the benefits to leaving it/healing it? Does the sigil number carry over to NG+?

I followed the questline fully on my current character so I have 8 sigils I think, but I still don't really know what this mechanic does.
It is one of the main reasons Anri's hits so hard with my hyper mode build, the luck stat gets a huge boost when hollow.
maaaaan people just don't want to enter a boss fight with just one summon it seems.

Got summoned for AW, dude keep waiting for another summon for some reason. Even after showing him that I can deal +500 damage to a Darkwraith with a Chaos orb he still kept waiting. Funny how he ended up crystaling me back just because I was rolling around him. Wthatever, his lose, considering it takes 4 Chaos orb to defeat each phase of the boss.
even worse when they are hollow and dont realize they can only hire one phantom regardless.
I'm not talking about toggle escapes (though I do wish that was in this game as well tbh), it's just that sometimes I swear my actions don't queue when I expect them to and it throws off my rhythm.
There is something wrong with the button cuing and, yes it sucks...had a full bar of stamina one time and couldn't swing my weapon...a rage moment for sure when you feel the game is handcuffing you for no legitimate reason.
OMG im being summoned as a Darkmoon!

Annnd the host was dead when I showed up...
or you get a gank squad where the host purposely has his buddy phantom around ...they must get a concord themselves right?....I guess at least one of my concords was got 2 seconds in after the host killed the phantom...but most don't even register..........like others I got three in the fist hour or so...we;ll see if the trend of none in the next four hours keeps pace.

Kalentan

So I just reached the
Archdragon Peak
and... well. Kind of weird thought but
It honestly seems like the "happiest" place in the Souls game, just due to the blue sky. Like as soon as I got there, I was so surprised by the clear blue sky. o.o Maybe it's just me... XD

It's possible to invade someone who isn't getting help from summons, right? People have invaded me when I'm alone, but I'm just making sure because everyone I've invaded has had helped and I've done at least 30.

jonjonaug

27 Concords and 10 human dregs away from the platinum and it sucks so bad that I just want to not do it.

Dregs aren't too bad. You can equip the covenant symbol while killing the fireball guys near Sully's bonfire and you'll be done pretty quickly.

For the Concords I would just recommend keeping your level around 110-125 and setting yourself to Darkmoon Blade while running through NG+whatever. I found that I got summoned easier at the High Wall, the Road of Sacrifices to Farron Keep area, and in the Aldrich covenant area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Are you sure it was a blue bro and not an Aldrich faithful, which are also blue tinged? They are hostile invaders.

27 Concords and 10 human dregs away from the platinum and it sucks so bad that I just want to not do it.

Then don't.

Kalentan

I assume that, since I'm nearing the very end of DS3... That I should grind and just buyout most of the armors and such from the stores, right?

Vena

Alright. I have no idea what Frost does.

In this play through, I am using the Irythil SS and trying to figure out frost. And it seems that, at some point, it works similar to bleed where huge chunks of health seem to fall off of enemies/bosses?

I know it's supposed to hamper stamina regeneration and movement (which is largely useless in PvE as enemies are largely cheaters with infinite stamina, ie. FROMs half-assed way of making basic enemies challenging... hello Drakeblood Knights). But is it supposed to also deal damage after it "triggers"? Can it trigger multiple times after a build up?

It's possible to invade someone who isn't getting help from summons, right? People have invaded me when I'm alone, but I'm just making sure because everyone I've invaded has had helped and I've done at least 30.

As long as they're embered, yes. Also, if a person uses
dried fingers, they can get up to three summons, but it opens up a second invasion slot.

Don't do it.
Wiser words have never been spoken.

Persona7

Banned
helping people fight pontiff on my second file that is lower level at this point compared to my first file...everyone dies within seconds

2AdEPT

Wow! I got summoned as a Darkmoon and for whatever reason the host was gone from the front area of the Sully church...this is a great area to get summoned to if you want to get concords....I guess the host must have used fingers or something, or more likely there wa a major glitch because I killed 6 red phantoms in a row! One thought since I was blue that I was his ally and turned his back to me, two couldnt find the host so I hid around the corner and surprised them, and I actually won 3 fair fights in a row, two of which the red tried to heal but even without hyper mode my luck character hits hard with Anri's and the Lloyd's ring. LOL I never saw the host once to thank him/her. 6 concords in 5 minutes and rank gained on my first day trying...that ring is awesome as well! 2 slots! Im fairly certain this will never happen again, both becuase it may have been a rare glitch and I am not and never have been that great at PVP. Wish I would have had the presence of mind to record it.

Wow! I got summoned as a Darkmoon and for whatever reason the host was gone from the front area of the Sully church...this is a great area to get summoned to if you want to get concords....I guess the host must have used fingers or something, or more likely there wa a major glitch because I killed 6 red phantoms in a row! One thought since I was blue that I was his ally and turned his back to me, two couldnt find the host so I hid around the corner and surprised them, and I actually won 3 fair fights in a row, two of which the red tried to heal but even without hyper mode my luck character hits hard with Anri's and the Lloyd's ring. 6 concords in 5 minutes and rank gained on my first day trying...that ring is awesome as well! 2 slots! Im fairly certain this will never happen again, both becuase it may been a rare glitch and I am not and never have been that great at PVP. Wish I would have had the presence of mind to record it.

Never have I hated someone as much as you. My sword has gone through so many Sliver Knights armour that it has become as sharp as a bowling ball, and I got like 2 concords. I HATE YOU!

I kid, congrats :p. Now you just need to do that 5 more times

2AdEPT

Never have I hated someone as much as you. My sword has gone through so many Sliver Knights armour that it has become as sharp as a bowling ball, and I got like 2 concords. I HATE YOU!

I kid, congrats :p. Now you just need to do that 5 more times

It will never happen again...that's why Im such a fool for not realizing it ...even halfway through to record it. I was actually working on the Aldrich fight, but was not embered myself...Does having the boss alive in your area help maybe?...I got whisked away to the archives twice and died most times there...one time got a double kill of two reds with a gank squad but my character has no armour as a dragon and gets one shot pretty easily if there are too many mobs around.

I was level 80 BTW

It will never happen again...that's why Im such a fool for not realizing it ...even halfway through to record it. I was actually working on the Aldrich fight, but was not embered myself...Does having the boss alive in your area help maybe?...I got whisked away to the archives twice and died most times there...one time got a double kill of two reds with a gank squad but my character has no armour as a dragon and gets one shot pretty easily if there are too many mobs around.

I was level 80 BTW

If you're on PC and have NVIDA you can use shadow play and at the press of a button it can save anywhere from the last 5 minutes, to the last 20 minutes of gameplay. I think AMD has something similar but it uses Raptr to do it. Consoles also have something similar, right?

I don't think your area boss needs to be alive. I rather have my area boss be dead because I'm usually embered, and I'd hate having to fight off invaders while waiting the 30min+ it takes for me to get auto-summoned. You'll get whisked away to places other than where you are if you don't get auto-summoned in the area you are currently in after an unknown amount of time. Which is a really great feature, not sure if it was like that in DaS 1 & 2, or BB for that matter. I'm 125 and having trouble, but others have been 125 and got summoned, so I guess it's just my connection or that family share trick I have to do.

I picked up my randomized character challenge, and beat the rotten tree! I had to learn how to cheese the fight a bit (the intended cheese strategy towards the end) for this character in order to safely do it.

Saving my souls, I went through Road of Sacrifices and cheesed the enemy that gives you the Irthyll Straight Sword with spells. I decided to wait until later to try to get the Anri's Sword because I wasn't sure my character was strong enough to get it yet.

Finally back at the Firelink Shrine to level up.. and the dice roller gave me Faith! One step closer to equipping some weapons and I can now use a Talisman, so I equipped that and a Heal spell so I'll last longer in levels.

I went and bought the Cell key and rescued Irina, and now I'm going to farm souls to buyout the spell shops.

2AdEPT

I picked up my randomized character challenge, and beat the rotten tree! I had to learn how to cheese the fight a bit (the intended cheese strategy towards the end) for this character in order to safely do it.

Saving my souls, I went through Road of Sacrifices and cheesed the enemy that gives you the Irthyll Straight Sword with spells. I decided to wait until later to try to get the Anri's Sword because I wasn't sure my character was strong enough to get it yet.

Finally back at the Firelink Shrine to level up.. and the dice roller gave me Faith! One step closer to equipping some weapons and I can now use a Talisman, so I equipped that and a Heal spell so I'll last longer in levels.

I went and bought the Cell key and rescued Irina, and now I'm going to farm souls to buyout the spell shops.

That sound cool KM, but you are limiting leveling? I guess Anris does get bonus off a wide range of stats....You can alwasy get the sword ..just kite anri away into the sacrifices, then kill her henchman....then re-load - he's not that tough even at low level if you are just patient and wait for backstabs etc. Once you kil him Anri gets depressed and rolls over in two hits...doesnt matter what your stats are I dont think...2 hits and thats it if whats his name is dead.
------------------------------

Some guy who visited my you tube channel said I sound liek kermit de frog on my videos....got a new avatar now.

That sound cool KM, but you are limiting leveling?
Sort of. I'm only allowed to level up if I either unlock a shortcut that leads back to a bonfire or burn a new bonfire (though I don't use every bonfire I unlock). Here are the rules I've laid out so far:

Code:
Dark Souls 3 random level up challenge

The rules:
- Starting class is chosen at random (I personally excluded Knight, Warrior, Mercenary, and Deprived)
- Starting gift is chosen at random
- Respecs aren't allowed (obviously)

- Leveling up are only allowed after lighting a new bonfire or unlocking a shortcut that leads
  back to a previous bonfire
- When leveling up, roll a 1d9 (or a d10 and use the 10 as a reroll)
  that number corresponds to the stat screen in descending order (1 = Vig, 2 = Attn, etc...)
  Put all of the points possible in that stat

- Once the Fire Keeper is spoken to, leveling up must be done immediately
- Once trips to supply at the Firelink are finished, a death is committed to reset the souls to 0
- Grinding may be done to buy items but not for leveling

- Once a weapon is infused, it cannot be given a new infusion
- Any infusion that sacrifices stat scaling for base damage is banned
- Hollowing is banned (Hollow infusion to give weapons luck scaling are not)

- NEW: Bad luck clause, if the Dice Roller is being a troll (ie. locking into a single stat), then rerolls
  are allowed, but the reroll must be accepted even if it's the same result

You can alwasy get the sword ..just kite anri away into the sacrifices, then kill her henchman....then re-load - he's not that tough even at low level if you are just patient and wait for backstabs etc. Once you kil him Anri gets depressed and rolls over in two hits...doesnt matter what your stats are I dont think...2 hits and thats it if whats his name is dead.
Ah, okay. I'll keep that in mind. I only know about the Spook strat. I probably shouldn't even use Anri's anywya, now that I think of it, its requirements are silly low.

Kalentan

No, the game will ask you if you want to go to NG+ or not after beating the final boss.

I see... Well I already grinded enough to buy most equipment and pyro spells that are obviously only one a piece...

I feel compelled to grind out to try and max out all my Titantite Scale stuff since they sell them unlimited now... BUT that being said-- It will probably be easier to grind that stuff on NG+ and I'm unsure if I will even use that stuff!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Greetings all. I recently imposed upon myself a challenge. NG+ 7 Bosses, no Estus, SL 120 Quality Build, and here are the results. And before anyone asks, yes I use Keyboard and Mouse

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HF69T-kCw&index=1&list=PLNDiF9HvFPsuiOx4eq7qQwvxRvITqhFNM

Iudex Gundyr

Vordt of the Boreal Valley

Curse-Rotted Greatwood

Crystal Sage

Deacons of the Deep

Abyss Watchers

Old Demon King

High Lord Wolnir

Pontiff Sulyvahn

Aldrich, Devourer of Gods

Yhorm the Giant

Dancer of the Boreal Valley

Oceiros, the Consumed King

Champion Gundyr

Dragonslayer Armour

Lothric and Lorian

Ancient Wyvern

Nameless King

Soul of Cinder
-TBD

Noticeably missing is the final boss. Many of my attempts squashed due to his spear form, or more correctly his 360 spin. Sometimes I can roll out the way, other times it catches me. And when I did get to the second phase something goes wrong. Ill keep on trying tho, but I'm pretty much done with the game until the dlc comes out.

2AdEPT

Really? I had difficulty fighting him solo so I summoned an NPC to help me and I beat him that first try. But I finally managed to beat him solo on my second character after like three or four attempts, here's my pathetic victory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_985MoPeAPA

Not bad at all, especially at low level. I was able to get him on one of my first serious attempts at him, ( I dropped my sign and felt him out in multiplayer and died to him in 3 seconds two or three times, but came back after a bit of upgrading and did this run; I haddnt even seen his second phase yet.....) but it was REALLY lucky. Of course my hyper mode run went a lot smoother! ;)

Greetings all. I recently imposed upon myself a challenge. NG+ 7 Bosses, no Estus, SL 120 Quality Build, and here are the results. And before anyone asks, yes I use Keyboard and Mouse

Noticeably missing is the final boss. Many of my attempts squashed due to his spear form, or more correctly his 360 spin. Sometimes I can roll out the way, other times it catches me. And when I did get to the second phase something goes wrong. Ill keep on trying tho, but I'm pretty much done with the game until the dlc comes out.

NOt bad..I need to get a new capture card, your recordings look very good..what do you use to record your videos?

were you the same level for all the fights or were you leveling as you went?

That is a feat in and of itself lol. But nice job. When you say no Estus, is it no Estus period, or just no Estus during a boss fight?

Not bad at all, especially at low level. I was able to get him on one of my first serious attempts at him, ( I dropped my sign and felt him out in multiplayer and died to him in 3 seconds two or three times, but came back after a bit of upgrading and did this run; I haddnt even seen his second phase yet.....) but it was REALLY lucky. Of course my hyper mode run went a lot smoother! ;)

:p thanks. Is 58 low for that fight? I thought most people fought Pointiff at the low 50's? Holy crap that hypermode. You annihilated him lol. I get too greedy and fail a lot of my rolls, so I can't do hypermode. I was super lucky with fighting him to, I tried drinking Estus and realized I was out and went oooooo crap!

Orin GA

That is a feat in and of itself lol. But nice job. When you say no Estus, is it no Estus period, or just no Estus during a boss fight?

:p thanks. Is 58 low for that fight? I thought most people fought Pointiff at the low 50's? Holy crap that hypermode. You annihilated him lol. I get too greedy and fail a lot of my rolls, so I can't do hypermode. I was super lucky with fighting him to, I tried drinking Estus and realized I was out and went oooooo crap!

Just the boss fights.

Edit: Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HF69T-kCw&index=1&list=PLNDiF9HvFPsuiOx4eq7qQwvxRvITqhFNM

Orin GA

NOt bad..I need to get a new capture card, your recordings look very good..what do you use to record your videos?

were you the same level for all the fights or were you leveling as you went?

I use OBS Studio. Was 120 for all. I had better be for NG+ 7

Ah, okay. Very impressive, I don't think I could do no estus in a boss fight.

guys what do you think of my message? There is some late-game armour, a boss weapon, and a shield you get from a covenant. If you don't care about seeing any of that, carry on.
fKLckBz.jpg

2AdEPT

Ah, okay. Very impressive, I don't think I could do no estus in a boss fight.

guys what do you think of my message? There is some late-game armour, a boss weapon, and a shield you get from a covenant. If you don't care about seeing any of that, carry on.

I care but I cant see anything? Broken gif for me only?

Ok I gotta say I HATE ALDRICH. YOu are the worst excuse for a FROM SOulsborne boss, even worse than bed of chaos and approaching rage worthy of Shrine of Amana!!!

THose of you following the Hyper mode run I am doing were probably thinking, ok now..giggle giggle, jsut wait until he gets to Alrdich..thats where his run will end.....well it almost did...took me at least an hour and about 20 runs...but FINALLY got the perfect RNG and only got hit once on the way to VICTORY!

Top Bottom