• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Did anyone else have more trouble with the
Lord of Cinder
than
Namless King
or
Champion Gundyr
? I don't know why but I keep getting the timing wrong and I've restarted this fight more times than the other two combined jeez

2AdEPT

FINALLY beat Champion GUndyr with no damage in Hyper mode..it took hours to learn the attacks well enough to get a 10 second run together///lol I included some behind the scenes swearing along the way!

I don't think Matt, or GradeA did that though. Matt had been out of a job for a few months so taking a risk of investing and hoping he gets enough views back wouldn't be the best idea. GradeA got lucky because he started talking about the whole "YouTube drama" thing when it started so channels talking about it were far and few between.

That's the thing though. The viewer pledges to the creator. For example, Vaati has a Patreon and he gets nearly $6,000 a month from his pledgers. Vaati tends to get anywhere from 400k views to 1.5million views. From what I heard it's $1/1000 views so he'd get $400-$1,500. While patron is a steady $6000 per month. Cool thing about patron is the CC also can put tiers so you can pay a certain amount and get benefits like first look at videos, exclusive videos, etc.

Vaati is someone special though...dat voice he has is pretty much as good as it gets out there, and although patreon works for him (I heard of lower figures than yours, more like $4000/month including you tube) but maybe you are right. He should do fine even if Souls does quit though as his voice is as good as any DJ out there.

Vaati is someone special though...dat voice he has is pretty much as good as it gets out there, and although patreon works for him (I heard of lower figures than yours, more like $4000/month including you tube) but maybe you are right. He should do fine even if Souls does quit though as his voice is as good as any DJ out there.

That's true, Vaati is an exceptional speaker, and has very interesting lore videos. Lore is very vital to the Souls' series which helps it get big numbers.

Depending on where you are, $4000 is really good. For example, minimum wage here is about $11/hr which at 40hrs a week would give $440, and therefore about $1760 a month. $4000 a month would be about 25/hr assuming all this is before taxes.

It would honestly be amazing to make a living off YouTube just I don't know what I can bring to the table that isn't already overly-saturated :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So official top 5 music rankings until the dlc invariably screws it up

Abyss Watchers
2. Main Menu
3. Iudex Gundyr
The Twin Princes
Ancient Wyvern

I had pretty much decided on the first 4 just from playing the game. However, I didnt think
Wyvern
would make it on until I listened to it on its own. Great theme for a lame boss (though still not as lame as Ancient Dragon).

Yhorm
is number 6 right now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yes, I'm going to waste a rare slab to upgrade this shitty ass weapon that sucks so much just because it looks so cool.

I have a problem... a fashionable problem.

Git gud. Weapon rocks on a luck build. Still not as good as DS1 Great Scythe or the Scythe of Want though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's up with the hosts at Pontiffs that summon a bunch of people then fight the first guy and die?
Haha I hate that. If there's like one player left and the host wants to duel, they should go ahead and duel without summoning others. If they win the duel then they can keep summoning folks for their fight club or whatever but yeah. I imagine they expected to win, but if they summon before their duel and they do die, it's annoying and waste people's time.

Amazing! Well played.
Thats awesome thanks for sharing that.
Well done, but it still shows the reason why I don't invade anymore. I'm not a good enough player to pull of these 3v1s
Very well played.
Hah, thanks guys. To be honest I didn't see me as playing all that well. I was just scrambling desperately the whole time. But, whether it was skill or luck didn't matter much, because it was just fun and satisfying regardless, which is what I was saying about why people still love PvP. Basically yeah the game is unbalanced, not really that skill-based, etc. but damn if it's not so much fun sometimes. :)

Other fun/amusing little invasions I recorded last night (all vids are pretty short):

Silvercat Ring OP, plz nerf
Last Man Standing! (when you are at 0 estus and low health, you don't expect to win a chaotic battle royale :D)
Forgive This Host, For He Knows Not What He Does

Things like that are what makes the game so enjoyable. That's why I don't really bother with fight clubs anymore. I used to do fight club-style PvP all the time in Demon's Souls and I really enjoyed it, so don't get me wrong, I do see the appeal. But I did miss the feeling of just invading and getting caught in unpredictable situations and having to make the best of it.
Sometimes I just slaughter some poor host who's by himself and has no idea how to PvP and who had no chance (I'd feel bad, but this character is a ruthless assassin cosplay so I gotta stay in character xD).
Sometimes I find competent players who kick my ass and I lose, or barely survive.
Sometimes I find incompetent ganksquads (or just normal questing groups, I make a distinction*) and slaughter them all easily. Sometimes they're the ones who slaughter me anyway because, well, 3v1 are hard to win regardless of skill.
Sometimes I scrape by the skin of my teeth, sometimes I win without breaking a sweat, sometimes I lose in seconds.
Sometimes I have to search all over the level for the host and I might try to sneak up on them (which, sometimes, makes for funny lucky wins), sometimes I spawn right next to them and create a panic.
Sometimes I find a host who'll stand their ground and fight, sometimes I'll find cowards who roll and run around like a headless chicken and waste all their Estus as I chip away at them until they die (this happens way too often to my liking though, come on guys, what are you so afraid of!).
Sometimes I'll get unplayable lag and that's OK, I just laugh and move on (I just recorded this one to serve as a funny example).
Sometimes I find random cosplay alignment that are just too cool.

There's this sort of variety of encounter from regular invasions that I just enjoy, I guess. ^^

* By ganksquad I mean people who purposefully camp around a bonfire/boss gate/etc. with no intention of progressing in the level and just wait for invaders to gank them 3v1 and troll them. Not players who summon phantoms for coop and are trying to beat the level (I call those "questers") and who'll rush the invader because it's the smart thing to do. I find the former to be dicks, not the latter.

So official top 5 music rankings until the dlc invariably screws it up

Abyss Watchers
2. Main Menu
3. Iudex Gundyr
The Twin Princes
Ancient Wyvern

I had pretty much decided on the first 4 just from playing the game. However, I didnt think
Wyvern
would make it on until I listened to it on its own. Great theme for a lame boss (though still not as lame as Ancient Dragon).

Yhorm
is number 6 right now.

But what about dat 2nd phase music for S
oul
of C
inder
? SO good.

poodpick

I love losing to a gank squad and then invading again and tearing them apart one by one. I invaded this guy at SL38 in
Central Irithyll
and thought he was having a fight club or something because he was summoning people one at a time and letting me fight them. Then he goes and resummons two of the guys I killed and pops a seed. Needless to say the npcs fucked me up. Invaded again and destroyed one of the parry fishing summons with a backstab and then slaughtered the host with another red spirit.

Meccs

Haha I hate that. If there's like one player left and the host wants to duel, they should go ahead and duel without summoning others. If they win the duel then they can keep summoning folks for their fight club or whatever but yeah. I imagine they expected to win, but if they summon before their duel and they do die, it's annoying and waste people's time.

Funny thing was that I invaded that fight club so I got my reward without doing anything. So it worked out :)

I love losing to a gank squad and then invading again and tearing them apart one by one. I invaded this guy at SL38 in
Central Irithyll
and thought he was having a fight club or something because he was summoning people one at a time and letting me fight them. Then he goes and resummons two of the guys I killed and pops a seed. Needless to say the npcs fucked me up. Invaded again and destroyed one of the parry fishing summons with a backstab and then slaughtered the host with another red spirit.
Same just happened after Pontiff area. Two guys jumped and killed me. Next time I invaded one stayed back and thought he can watch his buddy kill me. Didn't work out. Killed both. Second time I invaded them they tried to jump me both again but they got cocky and I could parry one. The second did run away but couldn't get far. This stuff feels so good. I'm not a good player and probably almost twice the age of all those guys but I can hold my own for most of the time.

Ferr986

Git gud. Weapon rocks on a luck build. Still not as good as DS1 Great Scythe or the Scythe of Want though.

Mine a pyro build. It has A/A scaling on Chaos but still... damage is not very good. Carthus Curved Sword offers practically the same damage and bleed output, while being faster . Scythes overall really needs a buff.

I basically use it when I'm in full caster mode for the looks lol

nowai

Ep 10 is up, that soothing voice. :p

This was an especially painfully slow episode. I had to just put it on in the background while working. An hour to progress past the first group of mobs and then picking off Thralls with arrows.

I understand taking it slow the first time through, but after you know where the enemies are...

poodpick

Funny thing was that I invaded that fight club so I got my reward without doing anything. So it worked out :)

Same just happened after Pontiff area. Two guys jumped and killed me. Next time I invaded one stayed back and thought he can watch his buddy kill me. Didn't work out. Killed both. Second time I invaded them they tried to jump me both again but they got cocky and I could parry one. The second did run away but couldn't get far. This stuff feels so good. I'm not a good player and probably almost twice the age of all those guys but I can hold my own for most of the time.

Even if I lose to gank squads, as long as the fight is thrilling I'm satisfied. At SL30 I invaded in
Crucifixion woods
and was met with a host with 2 summons cosplaying as Ornstein and Smough, a purple summon using double avelyns called "LOTHRIC POLICE", and a darkmoon. Fight lasted like 15 minutes and I managed to kill the purple and almost killed the darkmoon but I ran out of estus. Love fights like this.

MilkBeard

Mine a pyro build. It has A/A scaling on Chaos but still... damage is not very good. Carthus Curved Sword offers practically the same damage and bleed output, while being faster . Scythes overall really needs a buff.

I basically use it when I'm in full caster mode for the looks lol

It depends on how you use the weapon. The scythes can outrange most weapons if you plan your hits. So when nearing heavy weapons, you can actually plan your attacks in a way that will leave them whiffing and you hitting. And the wide side-sweep of the scythe has great uses.

I can see people being disappointed in the damage output, as it's not amazing, but it's more about the use of range that will make a scythe worthwhile.

Tarkus

It depends on how you use the weapon. The scythes can outrange most weapons if you plan your hits. So when nearing heavy weapons, you can actually plan your attacks in a way that will leave them whiffing and you hitting. And the wide side-sweep of the scythe has great uses.

I can see people being disappointed in the damage output, as it's not amazing, but it's more about the use of range that will make a scythe worthwhile.
You must be talking about every reaper besides the Great Scythe, because it has garbage range and damage.

Hah, thanks guys. To be honest I didn't see me as playing all that well. I was just scrambling desperately the whole time. But, whether it was skill or luck didn't matter much, because it was just fun and satisfying regardless, which is what I was saying about why people still love PvP. Basically yeah the game is unbalanced, not really that skill-based, etc. but damn if it's not so much fun sometimes. :)

Other fun/amusing little invasions I recorded last night (all vids are pretty short):

Silvercat Ring OP, plz nerf
Last Man Standing! (when you are at 0 estus and low health, you don't expect to win a chaotic battle royale :D)
Forgive This Host, For He Knows Not What He Does

Things like that are what makes the game so enjoyable. That's why I don't really bother with fight clubs anymore. I used to do fight club-style PvP all the time in Demon's Souls and I really enjoyed it, so don't get me wrong, I do see the appeal. But I did miss the feeling of just invading and getting caught in unpredictable situations and having to make the best of it.
Sometimes I just slaughter some poor host who's by himself and has no idea how to PvP and who had no chance (I'd feel bad, but this character is a ruthless assassin cosplay so I gotta stay in character xD).
Sometimes I find competent players who kick my ass and I lose, or barely survive.
Sometimes I find incompetent ganksquads (or just normal questing groups, I make a distinction*) and slaughter them all easily. Sometimes they're the ones who slaughter me anyway because, well, 3v1 are hard to win regardless of skill.
Sometimes I scrape by the skin of my teeth, sometimes I win without breaking a sweat, sometimes I lose in seconds.
Sometimes I have to search all over the level for the host and I might try to sneak up on them (which, sometimes, makes for funny lucky wins), sometimes I spawn right next to them and create a panic.
Sometimes I find a host who'll stand their ground and fight, sometimes I'll find cowards who roll and run around like a headless chicken and waste all their Estus as I chip away at them until they die (this happens way too often to my liking though, come on guys, what are you so afraid of!).
Sometimes I'll get unplayable lag and that's OK, I just laugh and move on (I just recorded this one to serve as a funny example).
Sometimes I find random cosplay alignment that are just too cool.

There's this sort of variety of encounter from regular invasions that I just enjoy, I guess. ^^

* By ganksquad I mean people who purposefully camp around a bonfire/boss gate/etc. with no intention of progressing in the level and just wait for invaders to gank them 3v1 and troll them. Not players who summon phantoms for coop and are trying to beat the level (I call those "questers") and who'll rush the invader because it's the smart thing to do. I find the former to be dicks, not the latter.

Excellent post, it highlights exactly why the PvP is fun in these games. You just need to not take it too seriously, have fun and try to not get salty ;)

Speaking of PvP, I just had a 15 minute slough of a battle against a host and their five (!!!) additional summons. It's always funny to see how aggressive the host gets the second their summons show up, only to become turtles after I defeat their yellow and white friends. I had ran out of Lloyd's Talismans earlier so it took a lot longer than expected to down the host but I'm glad I was able to in the end.

Also, this L2 is VERY satisfying to land. Thankfully it has heaps of hyper armour so moments like this are possible.
https://fat.gfycat.com/AnguishedHelplessArcticduck.webm

Looking back at the clip I see that if I'd been calm I could have just done a 180 and got the crit on the other phantom. That would have been an incredible power move!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Even if I lose to gank squads, as long as the fight is thrilling I'm satisfied. At SL30 I invaded in and was met with a host with 2 summons cosplaying as Ornstein and Smough, a purple summon using double avelyns called "LOTHRIC POLICE", and a darkmoon. Fight lasted like 15 minutes and I managed to kill the purple and almost killed the darkmoon but I ran out of estus. Love fights like this.
Haha yeah that's awesome. I had plenty of invasions where I take down a bunch of phantoms and/or darkmoons even if I end up losing in the end, it's still fun 'cause I got to kill a bunch of players and resist as long as I can. :) A good fight is a good fight.

Excellent post, it highlights exactly why the PvP is fun in these games. You just need to not take it too seriously, have fun and try to not get salty ;)

Speaking of PvP, I just had a 15 minute slough of a battle against a host and their five (!!!) additional summons. It's always funny to see how aggressive the host gets the second their summons show up, only to become turtles after I defeat their yellow and white friends. I had ran out of Lloyd's Talismans earlier so it took a lot longer than expected to down the host but I'm glad I was able to in the end.

Also, this L2 is VERY satisfying to land. Thankfully it has heaps of hyper armour so moments like this are possible.
https://fat.gfycat.com/AnguishedHelplessArcticduck.webm

Looking back at the clip I see that if I'd been calm I could have just done a 180 and got the crit on the other phantom. That would have been an incredible power move!
Thanks and yep, nice one! Seeing the multiple numbers flying on the pack of phantoms attacking you is always satisfying. ^^

Trakan

Scythes have been crap since after DS1. Granted they were absurdly overpowered in 1, but damn it I still miss them.

Dahbomb

We should get a GAF gank squad going cosplaying as the 3 hardest single dude bosses in the game: SoC, NK and Champion Gundyr.

Dahbomb

Never been in a gank squad myself, wanted to see what it felt like.

Feels like a huge waste of time to be honest considering you don't get covenant items from beating invaders (except I guess purple invaders).

Deku Tree

Never been in a gank squad myself, wanted to see what it felt like.

Feels like a huge waste of time to be honest considering you don't get covenant items from beating invaders (except I guess purple invaders).

You get souls. It's fun if you like that kind of thing.

Tarkus

I guess it's an easy way to get ~1000 souls per pop in a 3v1. Probably takes less than 30 seconds to gang up on someone and R1 spam them to death.

Dahbomb

Can someone explain hyper armor?
It's a fighting game term that also applies to Souls games (though people just say high poise sometimes).

Some moves have hyper armor property where once they have started up they can't be interrupted by an attack. They can still be damaged through the attack but the attack will not stop.

This usually applies to certain heavy weapon attacks or bosses in general.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You get souls. It's fun if you like that kind of thing.

They really nerfed the amount of souls you get from pvp in this game and the way bloodstains work make it risky to even have a lot of souls if you plan to use them for anything.

onionfrog

I'm thinking about starting a faith character.

Are any of the faith based infusions good(blessed or lightning)? Or am I better off with a raw weapon + weapon buffing miracle?

Late Flag

Doing my NG+ run and trying to complete Sirris's questline. I talked to Sirris earlier when I met Anri. I got the ashes from Farron Keep and turned them into the handmaiden, but Sirris is not appearing. I have not equipped Rosaria's covenant or even entered that room in this playthrough. I did kill Orbeck though. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Edit: I can always just do the Proper Bow gesture thing if Sirris's questline is broken, but goddamn I hate these easily-breakable NPC quests, considering the platinum depends on getting them right at least once.

Sarcasm

Man, PvP is trash even when it doesn't lag. Whats up with the hitboxes? Just killed a man with a darksword which has less range then the LS and I even saw it not connecting.

Tarkus

Man, PvP is trash even when it doesn't lag. Whats up with the hitboxes? Just killed a man with a darksword which has less range then the LS and I even saw it not connecting.
Send an email to FROM. Tell them I said fuck the Washing Pole and FUGS.....and your Dark Sword.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Are you playing on PS4? What are you using to record and edit videos BTW?
Every time I want to record a video it's cut because I like to take screenshots and that seems to somehow reset the recording.
PS4. Just the regular sharing feature to save video clips (with the Square button). I trim the videos using the PS4's trim feature (I save the last 15 min, so I need to trim them down), it's very easy. I then copy the videos to my USB key and then upload them to Youtube.
The captions, if there are any, I add via Youtube's "annotations" feature.

I don't know why your recording would get reset if you saved the clip, whether you take screenshots or not. I do know that sometimes it just saves a few seconds for some reason, I think it's if you hold square instead of just pushing it? I wanted to record a cool (perfect) boss fight performance the other day, but it didn't save properly for some reason, and I might have held the button down accidentally or something.

I'm thinking about starting a faith character.

Are any of the faith based infusions good(blessed or lightning)? Or am I better off with a raw weapon + weapon buffing miracle?
Blessed infusion is kinda shit. Keep it for shields or offhand weapons to passively regen HP. Raw + buff might be better (or sharp/heavy if you go hybrid) but the earliest buffing miracle is kind of late. Lightning infusion is very decent, but it's also quite late in the game (Irithyll dungeon to get the coal).
Faith sucks for a long time, sadly. :\

Manu

Man, I just can't play anything else after DS3.

I was planning on going back to Demon's Souls and do a Plat run, but checked out a trophy guide and was like "nope."

I don't know what to do, no other game makes me feel the way Souls does.

Tarkus

Man, I just can't play anything else after DS3.

I was planning on going back to Demon's Souls and do a Plat run, but checked out a trophy guide and was like "nope."

I don't know what to do, no other game makes me feel the way Souls does.
DS3 PvP has that same something special that DS1 had but more so. It still doesn't live up to DS2 PvP, but I can't stop playing DS3.

Bahahaha I saw this on the Steam community page and had to share it
9D96628CC7653AAE4E3D545F993B9328F0AD246C

Raiden

Banned
Oh man what a game. I sucked so hard early through the game but i reached
Anor Londo
which i think is about halfway through and finally feel like im getting this. Still a shield player though, i need that even just for the feeling of safety and to parry them fuckers.

Top Bottom