• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I recall reading somewhere that various weapon buffs are downscaled in PVP too. I think they might have learned their lesson with Bloodgems in Bloodborne and started having separate PVP values for some things.

explodet

Farming Swordgrass was actually pretty tolerable for me - I did it at lvl 25 with a +1 weapon, killing the three Ghru near the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire. The auto-summons worked there for me, and sure, I got smashed by 2-1 fights a bunch, but I won a handful of matches and it broke up the monotony.

Meanwhile farming the silver knights makes me want to jump off a cliff in game just so I have something different to do after half an hour of no drops.

Tarkus

I thought the Estoc needs a nerf but all the weapons needs a balance change. Ultra/Greatswords just sucks in this game being slow, taking tons of stamina and low damage overall.

A Quality Warden Twinblade with Lightning blade was able to out dps and consume less stamina than my +5 Lorian's Greatsword.
If you adjust your playstyle to the UGS speed and range and take advantage of their hyper armor, you can be almost unstoppable. Just gotta be super aggressive and trade hits.

ENB is gettin rekt! Now I don't feel so bad about my skills. Wait, how is it fair to use Tears of Denial twice on NK but unfair to use it and win against Pontiff? ENB pls

Sarcasm

Farming Swordgrass was actually pretty tolerable for me - I did it at lvl 25 with a +1 weapon, killing the three Ghru near the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire. The auto-summons worked there for me, and sure, I got smashed by 2-1 fights a bunch, but I won a handful of matches and it broke up the monotony.

Meanwhile farming the silver knights makes me want to jump off a cliff in game just so I have something different to do after half an hour of no drops.

There is no achievement for getting all weapons / shields right?

Guys... I need to switch my Giant Club +10 ASAP in NG+ as it has ZERO Poise and I am getting staggered as fuck by Deacons... it makes the fights harder than they should be. This was my favourite weapon in DaS2 but then that game had real Poise.

What is another good HEAVY weapon with Poise? I have 2 Titanite Slabs waiting.

FUGS? Profaned Greatsword?

zma1013

This game is fucking hard god damn. Why do I keep buying souls games lol, got all of them and never beat any.

I'm in the first castle and there's some knights with shields and spears as well as some with swords. What's the best strategy against these fuckers. I end up using like 3 estus flasks against just one. I know git gud and all that. Game is fun but I lost 13k souls and almost lost my mind.

Those types of knights are the hardest regular enemy in the game and that first area is the largest hurdle you will face for the majority of the game, at least until you get towards the very end. Directly after that rough start it gets significantly easier. My advice? Either practice parrying the knights and get good at that as it's their only true weakness or just skip past them and try to get to the next area.

Tarkus

Guys... I need to switch my Giant Club +10 ASAP in NG+ as it has ZERO Poise and I am getting staggered as fuck by Deacons... it makes the fights harder than they should be. This was my favourite weapon in DaS2 but then that game had real Poise.

What is another good HEAVY weapon with Poise? I have 2 Titanite Slabs waiting.

FUGS? Profaned Greatsword?
I like the Lothric Greatsword because you can buff and infuse it. Split damage though. Astora is lighter than Claymore(wat!) but less damage than the others. You can buff FUGS as well, but so much weight and stats needed. S scaling in STR tho and long as fuck

Man ENB's Claymores carried him through the fucking game. It does so much damage and breaks a lot of enemies poise. I used Katanas and had more trouble with enemies since I couldn't stagger them at all. I do wish he looked at the statue in the Grand Archives depicting a Primordial Serpent.

I'm not sure I see Ultra Great Swords needing a buff. Why when you can stagger everything? Plus they can stunlock in PvP anyway.

@Wreck

finished the game!

beat the final boss with the fume ultra great sword + bleed

started new game + right away!!

you don't get allot of
item + 1, 2 right?

i did the tree jump and the serpent ring was not +1

oh well

my favorite soulds game

poodpick

Why is the
Cathedral
so god damn fun to invade in? Chased a host from the cleansing chapel bonfire all the way to the boss fog while constantly harassing him with arrows and plunge attacks. Killed 10! phantoms including his friends he summoned twice and 2 blues. Obscuring ring OP.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Why is the
Cathedral
so god damn fun to invade in? Chased a host from the cleansing chapel bonfire all the way to the boss fog while constantly harassing him with arrows and plunge attacks. Killed 10! phantoms including his friends he summoned twice and 2 blues. Obscuring ring OP.

Out of interest, what level are you?

Tarkus

Man ENB's Claymores carried him through the fucking game. It does so much damage and breaks a lot of enemies poise. I used Katanas and had more trouble with enemies since I couldn't stagger them at all. I do wish he looked at the statue in the Grand Archives depicting a Primordial Serpent.

I'm not sure I see UGS needing a buff. Why when you can stagger everything? Plus it's stunlocks in PvP anyway.
I just upgraded my Claymore to use in PvP. I wish I would have given it a chance during the game. It's a very nice weapon. It can answer straight sword R1 spam with R1 spam of its own! I think I can get 6 or 7 swings with my stamina. 4 usually kills.

If you're referring to me about the buff thing, they don't. But if someone buffs, I'm buffing. Often it's usually 3 buffs to my one.

I just upgraded my Claymore to use in PvP. I wish I would have given it a chance during the game. It's a very nice weapon. It can answer straight sword R1 spam with R1 spam of its own! I think I can get 6 or 7 swings with my stamina. 4 usually kills.
It's a quality weapon that really good. My next playthrough will be with the Manikin Claws but I was debating using a Greatsword.

Tarkus

It's a quality weapon that really good. My next playthrough will be with the Manikin Claws but I was debating using a Greatsword.
I believe the Mirrah Greatsword (can't remember it's DS3 name) is really good too. You get it from the tree's soul. Probably a DEX weapon though.

Trakan

So something has to be bullshit to not be garbage? And I think its probably among the top weapons in that game, which is actually saying something because there are so many good weapons in 2.

I'll be honest, I don't know what they could have done to make them balanced after DS1. All I know is they didn't do a good job of it though. They gave them weird, worse movesets and made them so you have to be super precise with the sweet spot damage.

As for being top tier, no, not even close.

Oh man, S
mouldering
L
ake
is a real pain in the ass if you're a pyro. Fire resistance everywhere! However, oddly enough I absolutely dominated K
night
S
layer
T
sorig
with my Great Chaos Fire Orbs. And thankfully I have Black Fire Orb to use on the most fire resistant enemies. Still, what a tough area. My Witch's Locks hit like a wet noodle.

What's everyone's favorite strength weapon? Rocking a Claymore right now but eyeing this butcher knife because of the A Strength scaling

Honestly mine is the regular old Greataxe. That thing hits like a TRUCK. And I think it looks cool.

Why is the
Cathedral

Heh, when I was SL 100 I went through that area with Way of Blue + ember + Dried Finger and it was kinda sad because literally the same 2 invaders kept coming every time. I think I was the only SL 100 player available in the area.

Cat Party

Internet is down at my house and I forgot how much more nerve-wracking this game is without messages when you've reached a new area.

Gotta say, if From makes another Soulsborne game I hope they add a little more variety with the status effects and different elements. Seems like the phase 2 of every other boss is "Now With More Fire!(tm)" I still don't even know what the Frost effect does. Seems like in general Fire resistance is way more useful than Lightning, Dark, Frost, Poison, hell even Magic!

I mean, I guess with the Lords of Cinder fire was going to end up a focus no matter what, but c'mon. I guess that's my big wish for the next game - more variety in elemental damage being important.

laxu

This game is fucking hard god damn. Why do I keep buying souls games lol, got all of them and never beat any.

I'm in the first castle and there's some knights with shields and spears as well as some with swords. What's the best strategy against these fuckers. I end up using like 3 estus flasks against just one. I know git gud and all that. Game is fun but I lost 13k souls and almost lost my mind.

Usually dodging to your left or parrying their attacks yields best results. Your shield is your friend against the sword wielding ones. Basically every knight enemy in this game has pretty serious poise and hard hitting but somewhat slow attacks. Never fight several of them, it's best to use something to draw them out one by one.

Your best bet would be to ignore those enemies at this point and go down the stairs and see what lies there.

laxu

Gotta say, if From makes another Soulsborne game I hope they add a little more variety with the status effects and different elements. Seems like the phase 2 of every other boss is "Now With More Fire!(tm)" I still don't even know what the Frost effect does. Seems like in general Fire resistance is way more useful than Lightning, Dark, Frost, Poison, hell even Magic!

I mean, I guess with the Lords of Cinder fire was going to end up a focus no matter what, but c'mon. I guess that's my big wish for the next game - more variety in elemental damage being important.

I'm surprised how few frost weapons there are. There isn't even a frost infusion! I would not be surprised if the DLCs add more of those.

I'm on my second character now and instead of opting for a fire infused weapon I went without and I got to say that until maybe after Farron Keep, fire is pretty good against most enemies.

Strampas

Neo Member
I'm level 120 now in NG+ and was wondering if that is the meta pvp-lvl?
I've have some souls gathered but don't know if I should spend them on stuff or level up.

Also, anyone know any good pyro spec for pve, and maybe pvp? I've never respecced, and have like 40 dex, 31 faith, 30 str.

Tarkus

I'm level 120 now in NG+ and was wondering if that is the meta pvp-lvl?
I've have some souls gathered but don't know if I should spend them on stuff or level up.

Also, anyone know any good pyro spec for pve, and maybe pvp? I've never respecced, and have like 40 dex, 31 faith, 30 str.
It seems to be 120 at the moment.

Deku Tree

ENB said he's gonna grind a new character so he can try different weapons and use different specs... does he not realize that you can re-spec?

zma1013

ENB said he's gonna grind a new character so he can try different weapons and use different specs... does he not realize that you can re-spec?

I don't think he ever found the covenant lady in the Catherdral of the Deep. He found the ladder to lead over to it, but just completely forgot about the ladder I think.

Meccs

I swear there are people that don't know the difference between yellow Sunbro and invading Subro. Colorblind probably.

Wow, this is now 3 times in a row. The third guy did get it though after I did hit the host. A bunch of people trying PvP today or what lol

Oroboro is quite an ass, but he's good, Peeve is also a very skilled PvP player and he's definetly more nice to hear, he can taunt the other player but you can feel that is more in a joyful matter.

But said that I'm sure Brandon has unedited session, he has for DkS2.

DamnNoHtml is quite cheeky to with lot of min/max always changing weapon for the more favorable ones. I like when you see player trying to get the best they can from a weapon, rather that constantly changing weapon and rings.

Meccs

DamnNoHtml is quite cheeky to with lot of min/max always changing weapon for the more favorable ones. I like when you see player trying to get the best they can from a weapon, rather that constantly changing weapon and rings.
This is true, but his narrations did bring my PvP to another level. There is really good information on how to fight different weapons. Not just what weapon to use but also how to actually play in certain cases. I really like those videos.

Edit: Does everyone play Overwatch now? Invasions are really slow today :/

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I haven't tried dual wield, but the winning combo looked a lot like a weapon skill spin attack.
Nah, just good ol' regular r1-r1-r1 from a straight sword haha.

Of course they have.

They are working as intended.
Heh, in a way, they kinda do... because when I invade, I very very often get a damn Darkmoon to invade me back (they almost never win though, the poor souls). I just never happened to get summoned myself, not once, no matter the level, weapon upgrade, or whatever.

I admit, I do cackle every time I kill the host and I see a "blue spirit summoned through concord!" message right after. I've denied so many proofs of concord, it almost feels pleasantly cruel. :D

This is true, but his narrations did bring my PvP to another level. There is really good information on how to fight different weapons. Not just what weapon to use but also how to actually play in certain cases. I really like those videos.

Edit: Does everyone play Overwatch now? Invasions are really slow today :/

Oh, definetly, he gives very good advice, and helped me a lot but after half an hour of «switch to curved sword for heavy weapons and pressure, switch to BKG meta to keep distance against short weapons» gets really old.

Seeing players stick to a weapon and build and try to overcome bad pairings to certain builds and weapons is more interesting.

Nah, just good ol' regular r1-r1-r1 from a straight sword haha.

Heh, in a way, they kinda do... because when I invade, I very very often get a damn Darkmoon to invade me back (they almost never win though, the poor souls). I just never happened to get summoned myself, not once, no matter the level, weapon upgrade, or whatever.

I admit, I do cackle every time I kill the host and I see a "blue spirit summoned through concord!" message right after. I've denied so many proofs of concord, it almost feels pleasantly cruel. :D

Nothing like being summoned as a blue, and see the host slowly dying while desperantly trying to reach to him :-(

MilkBeard

If you're referring to me about the buff thing, they don't. But if someone buffs, I'm buffing. Often it's usually 3 buffs to my one.

It's funny, because early comments of people playing the game were that the Claymore is weak and great swords and ultra great swords are underpowered.

ENB's playthrough proves that the opposite is true. I think people were having a hard time adjusting to the quick enemy speeds at first. But once you stagger them with a hit, you can pretty much kill anything.

Just for a comparison, many dex weapons don't have the ability to stagger easily, and it makes fighting some of these enemies much harder.

Tarkus

It's funny, because early comments of people playing the game were that the Claymore is weak and great swords and ultra great swords are underpowered.

ENB's playthrough proves that the opposite is true. I think people were having a hard time adjusting to the quick enemy speeds at first. But once you stagger them with a hit, you can pretty much kill anything.

Just for a comparison, many dex weapons don't have the ability to stagger easily, and it makes fighting some of these enemies much harder.
That's true; I was one of those people :p They did get a nice buff though in one of the patches.

I need to explore the dex weapons more. I've not been paying attention to them at all, except for spears.

Meh. To hell with this level 1 run. Not having fun. I could push through Bloodborne at 4 because I loved Saw Cleaver, but I hate all these weapons with low stat requirements.

Top Bottom