• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

laxu

I can't believe Wolnir is giving me a hard time on this playthrough. Killed him on first try in my previous game, now I've died to his stupid cloud several times. Just a badly designed boss in every way.

Tarkus

If there are Vagrants in this game, somebody saw mine at High Wall. I got beat and surfed the menus after placing the red sign when spawned. Looking for another weapon, I noticed the "getting summoned" banner and thought nothing of it. Went into the world, got rekt trying to use a new weapon.....lost 620K souls because I'm an idiot and didnt pick up my souls that were right beside me:-/ Fuck me.

mulac

Need some ideas for pvp builds - been watching fightinkowboy's videos and he's got a few nice ones on there.

Do people just "make it up" as they go or is there somewhere that acts as a database of strong/faith/sorcery etc?

Deku Tree

That was a deeply touching tribute that ENB wrote to that guy in the video description. Feel sorry for someone to die so young like that.

Tarkus

Need some ideas for pvp builds - been watching fightinkowboy's videos and he's got a few nice ones on there.

Do people just "make it up" as they go or is there somewhere that acts as a database of strong/faith/sorcery etc?
I just kinda make it up. I always start Souls PvP as a quality build.

Really digging my Darkmoon Gotthard's build for pvp. Lots of burst damage potential, great pokes, but it's susceptible to parries if you don't vary your attacks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Following databases is for cookie cutter scrubs. Make your own :p

Here's what I typically do in every Souls game:

For every character:
- Level up VIG (or VIT in past games, I mean the HP) and END to comfortable levels of survivability. A few points in VIT (DS2-3) if I feel too limited by my preferred gear weight.

First character:
- DEX build. Raise strength high enough to meet minimum requirements of the weapon(s) I want and stop there, then seek out dex-scaling weapons, preferably katanas. Also upgrade a long bow because hey, it's useful as hell in PvE after all.
- If I can spare the points, level up ATT for a bit more FP/support magic (like spook, a basic magic weapon buff, things like that), but that's not a priority.

Next characters:
- Pick a specialty. Making a mage? Then instead of DEX and END, pump INT and ATT. Miracles? Pump faith and ATT. Etc.

Basically, when you find a weapon you really like, level up the minimum requirements to wield it, then pump the stats into whatever makes it stronger (e.g. if it scales best with dex, pump dex), then raise your HP and stamina to comfortable levels. If you want to use spells, raise ATT to levels you are comfortable with (enough FP and/or attunement slots) and pump your preferred magic stat (faith or int or both) relevant for the spells you want.

tl;dr: I honestly don't know why people need tips on builds at this point, unless maybe this is your first Souls game.

Only 1 more Concord, omg it's happening...it's finally happening! PERSEVERANCE TRIUMPHS!

Edit: done, finally! FINALLY! It only took longer than the evolution of man, but it was #worth

squidyj

it's mostly weapon dependant, I have one where I use a refined lucerne to get the most damage out of it. the r1 l2 r2 is just exceptional.

Right now I want to try a gotthard and lothric spear combo on a new character. Noone I know is available to help me transfer weapons to a new alt though.

Make a Havel cosplay, is bad but is fun.
...And today I learned Havel's set was in DS3. I guess it was obvious since you get his weapon and shield but I hadn't come across where it was before looking it up just now.

I also missed a slab in the Archives on my first couple of playthroughs, only saw it because I was watching an LP - I totally missed the lever that reveals it. Now I'm wondering what else I missed!

...And today I learned Havel's set was in DS3. I guess it was obvious since you get his weapon and shield but I hadn't come across where it was before looking it up just now.

I also missed a slab in the Archives on my first couple of playthroughs, only saw it because I was watching an LP - I totally missed the lever that reveals it. Now I'm wondering what else I missed!

I come across players in Havel armor regularly. Now that I'm over SL100 anyway.

dralla

I'm about 20 hours into this. In certain areas I see treasures I can't get to. Are there certain items I need or certain world events that give access to them? For example, I see two items up on a ledge in the Farron Swamp. I've already completed the area and can't figure out to get them. I don't wanna keep searching the area for a way up if I can't get to them yet and need a specific item or world event to happen. I guess what I'm asking his, are all items in an area obtainable first time through with no specific gear or anything special? Some of these are driving my crazy. Cathedral of the Deep, grrrr

Robot Pants

I hope we see something DLC related at E3. I need more Souls and I want them to go completely ridiculous, even more so than Bloodborne. I really want a massive challenge.

Yes! I want a Shadows of Yharnam-type boss with the Soul of Cinder characters.
Yes please! I've got Doom and Uc4 just sitting there because I can't get enough of souls. Let's see dat Londor.

I'm about 20 hours into this. In certain areas I see treasures I can't get to. Are there certain items I need or certain world events that give access to them? For example, I see two items up on a ledge in the Farron Swamp. I've already completed the area and can't figure out to get them. I don't wanna keep searching the area for a way up if I can't get to them yet and need a specific item or world event to happen. I guess what I'm asking his, are all items in an area obtainable first time through with no specific gear or anything special? Some of these are driving my crazy. Cathedral of the Deep, grrrr
If you've already beated the Abyss Watchers you've passed the way to get to those treasures. From the Perimeter bonfire there's a drop off before the big crystal lizard. That bonfire is at the top of the hill where the two Darkwraiths comes from who fight with the Gru enemies.

Deku Tree

Usually you just have to find the way up... Or find the place to drop down from... Or attack an illusory wall. Very very rarely there is access from a different area.

After I invaded and killed a host, rhey sent me a message saying it took them about an hour to clear out as much of the area as they had. The area he had cleaned out was tiny. Should I feel bad?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
After I invaded and killed a host, rhey sent me a message saying it took them about an hour to clear out as much of the area as they had. The area he had cleaned out was tiny. Should I feel bad?

Reply:
THE LEGEND NEVER DIES.

Everyone telling this person to do otherwise is mistaken.

Answer with:

"The legend never dies"

Serious answer:

Is part of the game, there's phantoms, way of the blue, white branches, giant tree seeds and a lot of other things the host could have done to defend against you, but he still did lose and you won. Is not different to dying to an enemy.

Most areas had plenty of shortcuts to minimize the damage and even so, if you already went your way to discover things, that means that the next time you can focus in just reaching the next bonfire, making it way more faster, is not like you have to get all these items again.

So, basically, this is how the game works, if he dosn't like it he can choose to not play embered or online.

Edit:^^Damn you!

Blu10

Hell no.

Don't want to get invaded? Don't ember.

You don't really have a choice when you beat a boss. It's the whole reason I played offline. Too much of a pain in the ass I don't want to deal with. Didn't turn online until after I beat the game to help a friend with the twins, lord of cinder, and nameless king... At which point I realized that playing with someone else is basically cheating. There's no way you can die when the other person can take the aggro.

So I guess I shouldn't feel bad. I didn't reply though

Let's just say I'd happily trade you with the messages I got.

This is actually the first message I've gotten from someone I fought in this game even though I've done hundreds of invasions. Judging by your reply, I guess you got some nasty ones?

I did get a message from someone who invaded my chalice dungeon (I was alone) in Bloodborne (they lost). It was a pretty salty message saying I was bad at the game. I did point out the irony of them sending such a message after they lost to me

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I haven't sent a single random PvP-related message* since Demon's Souls (I think I might have sent something like "don't play online if you don't want to be invaded" to someone who pulled the plug on me), because it's never, ever worth it. Hell I don't even bother replying to butthurt hatemail messages, though I did a few times in the past just to troll them or to laugh at them, but yeah, waste of time.

* Outside of positive messages like "GG" or "lol, good fight" after a double-KO or the likes, of course.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you only choose to show your character name then no one knows how to send you a message right?
You can usually extrapolate from "Players met" under that menu with Friends/Notifications/etc.

Of course if the host summoned a bunch of phantoms while you were there, then that can confuse things.

I tried to contact the player I fought who cosplayed as Drizzt the other day, to say GG and hopefully have some future fights, but they never replied. :(

If you only choose to show your character name then no one knows how to send you a message right?

Well, there's recent players. Like on Steam if you go to view players then recent games it shows everyone you came into contact with whether they were the host, another phantom, or an invader.

Edit: Lol 4 replies to the same comment

MilkBeard

We finally know why ENB occasionally misses plainly obvious things. He missed that summon sign there and I was like 'dude it's right in front of you!'

He takes off his glasses sometimes, lol.

MilkBeard

I hope we see something DLC related at E3. I need more Souls and I want them to go completely ridiculous, even more so than Bloodborne. I really want a massive challenge.

Yeah, I kind of hope they go all out and make more bosses that are as challenging as Ludwig and Orphan of Kos. I feel they purposefully tuned down some of the bosses in DS3, so since we will be in DLC, there should be no reason for that.

Sarcasm

I am in
Archdragon Peak
and I killed everything and got that item way up in a dead end.
I see the level to ring bell
but there is a gate below where I got an ember. I can't figure out how to open that. Or you don't?

Risible

So I guess I shouldn't feel bad. I didn't reply though

Of course you should feel bad, it's another human being. Don't listen to the "git gud" crowd. Replying with shit like that is toxic as fuck.

I'm not saying don't ever invade, but always be aware of what you're doing and the costs associated with it.

Top Bottom