• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Don't want to risk it too much with 563,000 souls on me.
You can fight one at a time. Head up the stairs after they drop and wait for the one patrolling to separate from the others. They're easy to backstab. You can stun them easily with a fast weapon.

Ferr986

Don't want to risk it too much with 563,000 souls on me.

Use Rapport on them and..

giphy.gif

Makes me wish the head piece was available for the firekeeper armor.

It's actually on the game, but for some reason it's not implemented. Same as some unusued weapons.

Sarcasm

Use Rapport on them and..

giphy.gif

It's actually on the game, but for some reason it's not implemented. Same as some unusued weapons.

Picture ain't loading and plus I suck at parry/ripostes.

Don't need covenant items and this save I am throwing away. I did the archives thing. Got the dark sigils removed.

Ferr986

Picture ain't loading and plus I suck at parry/ripostes.

Don't need covenant items and this save I am throwing away. I did the archives thing. Got the dark sigils removed.

It's not about parrying. Rapport is a pyro spell that makes an enemy you ally. So when the knights drops, you rapport one of them and they fight each other. After that, you go after the 3rd (usually he won't aggro you when they pop), rapport him and he'll stand still while you kill him (enemies under the rapport spell don't aggro to you even if you attack them).

It's probably the fastest method for soul farming.

OK guys I've got 3 Titanite Slabs. What are the best weapons to max level? Doesn't matter if they are strength or skill as I've leveled both.

I already have Dark Sword at Max

Sarcasm

It's not about parrying. Rapport is a pyro spell that makes an enemy you ally. So when the knights drops, you rapport one of them and they fight each other. After that, you go after the 3rd (usually he won't aggro you when they pop), rapport him and he'll stand still while you kill him (enemies under the rapport spell don't aggro to you even if you attack them).

It's probably the fastest method for soul farming.

I can't use anything magic related with my character lol. No pyro, sorc and miracles =(

But guess what!
endingsk2bai.png

Now to farm stuff then start NG+.

Tarkus

OK guys I've got 3 Titanite Slabs. What are the best weapons to max level? Doesn't matter if they are strength or skill as I've leveled both.

I already have Dark Sword at Max
That's like asking a psychedelic artist their favorite color. Since you like the Dork Sword, try another class. Try the Claymore.

Tarkus

Ah I just didn't know if their were certain weapons that were considered "top-tier"
They're all but a few viable. I guess you mean the so-called "meta weapons." Try the Claymore, Washing Pole, Gotthard Twinblades, Gundyr's Halberd, Black Knight Halberd, Farron Greatsword, FUGS and the like.

Arjen

Bee trying out the MLS. I had no idea it was such a fun weapon this time, battle art into charged R2 does some great damage.

LOL, I was in a fight club and after a couple of matches I accidentally killed the fight club host with a Soul Speak + Crystal Mass combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUtA2cwTLI

The look of disbelief by everyone else at the end is what got me.

Lol. That's my favorite combo, but only when I'm getting invaded. I'll cast Soul Mass, run away, and while they're chasing me I'll smack them in the face with Crystal Soul Spear. Guaranteed kill unless they put their shield up.

Tarkus

That must be the only viable way to be a mage in PvP, because it seems they all turn their backs and do that combo. I've never seen a successful mage do anything else. Tip: that combo is easily spell parried with one L2.

Ferr986

That must be the only viable way to be a mage in PvP, because it seems they all turn their backs and do that combo. I've never seen a successful mage do anything else. Tip: that combo is easily spell parried with one L2.

The only viable way to be a mage in PvP is to buff your weapon and pretend you're a melee build.

1hr following your suggestion
9 Concords received.

The thrill when that item pops up!
So the falcon shield definitely is a help here.

Going to see if I can get to 20 at least tonight.

That's even faster than what I got. I'm assuming you have Symbol of Avarice and the rapier so you'd have about double my Item Discovery.

So it's not just me the Golden Falcon Shield actually helps with rare drops, woo!

LOL, I was in a fight club and after a couple of matches I accidentally killed the fight club host with a Soul Spear + Crystal Mass combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUtA2cwTLI

The look of disbelief by everyone else at the end is what got me.

THANKS LOCK-ON! I like how the other red just stood in front of you after and just was like "da fuq you do m8?"

SDR-UK

I feel the need to test this Falcon Shield nonsense. I need to see if it's right, even though part of me does not want it to be.

Tarkus

I feel the need to test this Falcon Shield nonsense. I need to see if it's right, even though part of me does not want it to be.
I wouldn't be surprised if FROM tucked hidden item discovery into a shield that is otherwise is out-classed by every other small shield.

Alo0oy

Banned
The only viable way to be a mage in PvP is to buff your weapon and pretend you're a melee build.

I did that for a while, but then it felt like I was just doing a standard melee build, so I ditched all my melee weapons and ran with the staff and scholar's candlestick only.

I wouldn't be surprised if FROM tucked hidden item discovery into a shield that is otherwise is out-classed by every other small shield.

Probably. They didn't show that Symbol of Avarice and Golden Serpent Ring stacked in DaS 1, even when they did. So it could be that this doesn't show an increase in Item Discovery even though it does increase it.

Do it. The more people that test it, the more we can determine whether it's absolutely conclusive, or dumb luck. With 157-207 Item Discovery I was getting it every 10-15 min, I think Mulac had 407 item discovery and it took an average of about 6 minutes and 20 seconds. If it does prove to help, this is an amazing discovery :p. Makes up for my failed theory regarding password invasions lol.

I have a pyro and a FTH build :/

I still have to do a Sorcery build but I would be surprised if it was better.

Inb4 git gut.

I tried a FTH build, but wasn't really a fan. I liked all of the healing/defensive miracles, but didn't like that I needed to be at point blank range for an offensive miracles full power.

Both regular pyro and dark pyro were fun though.

I ended up liking Sorceries the best though, which is surprising since I never used it in previous Souls games.

Ferr986

I tried a FTH build, but wasn't really a fan. I liked all of the healing/defensive miracles, but didn't like that I needed to be at point blank range for an offensive miracles full power.

Both regular pyro and dark pyro were fun though.

I ended up liking Sorceries the best though, which is surprising since I never used it in previous Souls games.

Yeah I want to do a mage build. It's actually my next planned build, but I don't feel like restarting the game nowadays (have 4 chars, one in NG+). I'll probably do it down the line.

Pyro is fun, and can be really good in invasions if there's some caos going on with multiple players in both sides. I'm mainly talking about 1vs1 tho.

FTH sucks. I hated it. It has some QoL spells for PvE (that you won't need anyways) but it's totally useless offensive wise other than in coop when you can do a point blank hit freely without getting killed.

Alo0oy

Banned
I have a pyro and a FTH build :/

I still have to do a Sorcery build but I would be surprised if it was better.

Inb4 git gut.

In terms of raw damage, sorcery easily outclasses all other magic builds, mostly because it has crown of dusk + Scholar's Candlestick to boost it, while other mage classes do not, the base damage in all magic builds suck and you need all 3 rings + all magic boosting equipment.

zma1013

In terms of raw damage, sorcery easily outclasses all other magic builds, mostly because it has crown of dusk + Scholar's Candlestick to boost it, while other mage classes do not, the base damage in all magic builds suck and you need all 3 rings + all magic boosting equipment.

Do the 2 dragon rings that boost magic attack stack with each other or does only one work?

SDR-UK

Either this is placebo effect or the Golden Falcon Shield actually does do something. I just got three Proof's in 12 minutes.

I hate this game.

Edit: I should mention that I had item discovery of 207. Nothing notable there.

Tarkus

Probably. They didn't show that Symbol of Avarice and Golden Serpent Ring stacked in DaS 1, even when they did. So it could be that this doesn't show an increase in Item Discovery even though it does increase it.

Do it. The more people that test it, the more we can determine whether it's absolutely conclusive, or dumb luck. With 157-207 Item Discovery I was getting it every 10-15 min, I think Mulac had 407 item discovery and it took an average of about 6 minutes and 20 seconds. If it does prove to help, this is an amazing discovery :p. Makes up for my failed theory regarding password invasions lol.
I'll be home in 15 minutes. I'll try it with baseline item discovery of the Assassin class. Anor Londo and the 2 Silver Knights on the stairs right?

Either this is placebo effect or the Golden Falcon Shield actually does do something. I just got three Proof's in 12 minutes.

I hate this game.
Shit, this may be huge!! Very promising

Alo0oy

Banned
Do the 2 dragon rings that boost magic attack stack with each other or does only one work?

The two rings + magic clutch + crown of dusk + Scholar's candlestick all stack, that's why sorcery is so far ahead of other magic builds in terms of raw damage. Faith & Pyro get 3 rings and nothing else, while dark only gets one ring.

Besides the fact that Sunlight Spear costs an absurd amount of FP even after the patch. Which makes it the only magic build where you cannot run as a pure caster.

I hate this game.

Edit: I should mention that I had item discovery of 207. Nothing notable there.

O damn, that was my Item Discovery(well, when I remembered to use Rusted Coin :p). But nice, it seems that it helps a lot.

I'll be home in 15 minutes. I'll try it with baseline item discovery of the Assassin class. Anor Londo and the 2 Silver Knights on the stairs right?

Shit, this may be huge!! Very promising

Yup, that's where I did it.

The two rings + magic clutch + crown of dusk + Scholar's candlestick all stack, that's why sorcery is so far ahead of other magic builds in terms of raw damage. Faith & Pyro get 3 rings and nothing else, while dark only gets one ring.

Besides the fact that Sunlight Spear costs an absurd amount of FP even after the patch. Which makes it the only magic build where you cannot run as a pure caster.

Dark Sorceries work with both Dragon rings as well as the candlestick. It does not work with the Crown though.

Dark Pyromancies also use both Pyromancy rings.

Tested it on my original Dark build.

I am the Parry King, confirmed.

For real though, I have a love/hate relationship with caestus parrying. It feels really inconsistent - sometimes I can parry the 3rd hit in a row from a straight sword, sometimes my character just stands there like and idiot and gets hit over and over. I land most of my parries with the round leather shield and being more predictive than reactive.

Alo0oy

Banned
Dark Sorceries work with both Dragon rings as well as the candlestick. It does not work with the Crown though.

Dark Pyromancies also use both Pyromancy rings.

Tested it on my original Dark build.

Dark Pyros do work, but I found no change in Dark Sorceries.

The setup still sucks even if they do, dark builds would want to use all dark spells, they're already handicapped by having to juggle between three catalysts as is, having to choose between one type of dark magic makes it very unbalanced.

Dark builds need their own rings and catalysts,

Deku Tree

I was doing all three Knights for what it's worth.

Two knights is a lot faster than three. I started doing the below the other day and then got all my concords a lot quicker:

Ok I just got five concords in like 45 minutes of farming. Feel slightly better about it now.
This is the fastest method I have come up with for my character.
I am 40/40 STR/DEX
Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

equipment:

Holllowslayer Greatsword +5
Crystal Sage's Raiper+5 (off hand)
Symbol of Avarice

Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring (Knights never hear you)
Covetous Silver Serpent Ring (more Souls)
Hornet Ring (more critical damage for backstabs)
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring (boosts item drops)

method (only kill two knights):

Walk to the second or third step from the bonfire
Crush a Rusted Coin to get item discovery up to 407
Cast Hidden body to go invisible
One shot backstab first knight
One shot backstab second knight
Run down stairs and grab two item drops
Run back to bonfire
Repeat

It can be slightly annoying when backstab doesn't proc even though it should have...

Tarkus

I am the Parry King, confirmed.

For real though, I have a love/hate relationship with caestus parrying. It feels really inconsistent - sometimes I can parry the 3rd hit in a row from a straight sword, sometimes my character just stands there like and idiot and gets hit over and over. I land most of my parries with the round leather shield and being more predictive than reactive.
I know the feeling. It seems like the Caestus has a fast startup like the medium shields and has the same short parry window. I'm much off with a small shield like the Crimson Parma, and that's with reactive, predictive, and set-up parries.

It can be slightly annoying when backstab doesn't proc even though it should have...

You mean when you do the back-stab poke, but he moved away so you just stand there like an idiot? So many times man, especially against dickwraiths.

What I did was two-hand my sword and run up until the first knight aggros, then run down a bit, wait for him to do his lunging attack. Then smack him three times and he was dead. Then did the same for the second one. I didn't wear silver ring because I already had like 2mill souls and didn't need more since I wasn't gonna level up, and I pretty much bought the max of every consumable I could.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Much as I enjoy invading in the catacombs, having fun with the bridge, etc.... holy shit does the framerate just die in that cooridor near the boss door. :(

And seriously, why are there lag spikes every single time another player starts to join (from summoning or another invader)? Like everyone starts skating about and teleporting and shit (I probably do too on their screen). It wasn't like that in the past Souls games. C'mon From!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can't wrap my mind around how somebody can post something like that and look themselves in the mirror the next day.

Yeah that was exactly what I thought when I saw that. How can anyone hit send on a comment like that and sleep at night.

It's absolutely disgusting. I'm glad ENB followed it up with a positive story.

Top Bottom