• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Meccs

Player skill seems to have dropped off significantly over the last few days. To the point I'm getting kinda bored it's so easy to invade now. I guess most people have moved on to other games or doing duels and the rest is still crawling through the game. Anyone else noticed that?

Edit: I have the weirdest invasions today. One is stranger than the other. Is the game free to try out on Steam or what?! /s

Player skill seems to have dropped off significantly over the last few days. To the point I'm getting kinda bored it's so easy to invade now. I guess most people have moved on to other games or doing duels and the rest is still crawling through the game. Anyone else noticed that?

Edit: I have the weirdest invasions today. One is stranger than the other. Is the game free to try out on Steam or what?! /s

PvP is just super hit-or-miss. Sometimes I feel like a god and completely run through people. Other times, like last night, I get summoned RIGHT next to a gank squad and am almost immediately killed. Sometimes I get pitted against someone of equal skill and we have a great fight. Other times I make one mistake and get destroyed by a combo or parry + riposte and look like an idiot.

onionfrog

At 20 faith, why does lightning spear do less damage than just swinging my weapon? (a +2 mace)

Miracles being shit is a DS2 callback I did not want to see return in this game! (Post patch DS2, they were actually really great right when vanilla DS2 came out)
:p

This faith build is very underwhelming so far...

What are y'all's favourite places to invade?

(Not fight club but actual invasions)

C
onsumed
K
ing's
G
arden
is fantastic, since it seems people don't expect to be invaded there. You almost always catch them fighting the Knight or the Goop monster, so you can take them out fairly easily.

I
rithyll
Dungeon is good too. People already hate going through there, why not make it worse? :D

And obviously A
nor
L
ondo
( only the area after Pontiff) you usually find the host with Phantoms, but will more than likely have a Faithful backing you up.

Meccs

PvP is just super hit-or-miss. Sometimes I feel like a god and completely run through people. Other times, like last night, I get summoned RIGHT next to a gank squad and am almost immediately killed. Sometimes I get pitted against someone of equal skill and we have a great fight. Other times I make one mistake and get destroyed by a combo or parry + riposte and look like an idiot.

Yes, absolutely but I swear I'm playing now for over an hour and everyone just melts or does stupid shit, falling down somewhere etc. It's like I joined a comedy show. I also just had someone that did slide around in a sitting position. The weirdest stuff is happening.
Also as someone using the Hornet Ring constantly and getting a lot of kills with it: they should nerf that thing. Maybe like a "does damage equal to %x of current health" or something. I'll probably take it off now since it's just too easy especially since a lot of people still hold their shield up all the time.

Ferr986

How many spell slots you mage guys settle with?

I currently have 4 with my pyro char, although it's only 3 because Chaos Fireball uses 2.

I feel like I need atleast 1 slot more but I'm so anal on leveling up more (91 now, I would need only 4 levels to get another one).

I really hate how I always feel pressured to try to stay at the lowest level possible on Souls games lol

I currently have 4 with my pyro char, although it's only 3 because Chaos Fireball uses 2.

I feel like I need atleast 1 slot more but I'm so anal on leveling up more (91 now, I would need only 4 levels to get another one).

I really hate how I always feel pressured to try to stay at the lowest level possible on Souls games lol

4 on my mage.

Crystal Soulmass
Farron Flashsword
Soul Greatsword
Crystal Soulspear

Works out nicely.

SL100 btw.

I
rithyll
Dungeon is good too. People already hate going through there, why not make it worse? :D

I got invaded there last night. This is potentially the worst place in the game to get invaded, because of the jailers reducing your HP.

On my current pyro I have 4 slots. I have Great Chaos Fire Orb, Fire Whip, and Black Fire Orb in my slots. Honestly though, I pretty much only use GCFO. I have 29 attunement and I kinda regret leveling it so high. The main benefit is that at 29 attunement you have 224 FP, which allows you to cast exactly 7 GCFOs. The drawback is you need to use the Ashen Estus Ring to fully refill your FP with the flask.

Meccs

Short question: When I invade as a Mound Maker, do people get a notification that I was successful when I kill my number of summons or do I just vanish?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, absolutely but I swear I'm playing now for over an hour and everyone just melts or does stupid shit, falling down somewhere etc. It's like I joined a comedy show. I also just had someone that did slide around in a sitting position. The weirdest stuff is happening.
Also as someone using the Hornet Ring constantly and getting a lot of kills with it: they should nerf that thing. Maybe like a "does damage equal to %x of current health" or something. I'll probably take it off now since it's just too easy especially since a lot of people still hold their shield up all the time.
Nah, keep your hornet. Unlike in DS1, where backstabs were broken as hell, overly easy to execute, and overpowered even without hornet, in this one you actually need to pull off a parry or a guard-break-riposte to make it worthwhile (backstabs being so rare in an actual fight), so hornet isn't really broken. I never used it in DS1 outside of PvE (like against Gwyn xD) because backstabs were so borked, but I have no qualms in using it this time around.

If people turtle like cowards behind their shields all the time, that's on them. -)

Short question: When I invade as a Mound Maker, do people get a notification that I was successful when I kill my number of summons or do I just vanish?
IIRC it says something like "Mad spirit <name> has found something and returned home" or something kinda funny like that.

Deku Tree

So From released

DeS (Feb 2009)

DaS (Sept 2011)

DaS2 (March 2014)

BB (March 2015)

DaS3 (March 2016)

Are they gonna have another game for March 2017?

2AdEPT

I know you're lurking Kay, hurry up! :p
I feel empty after completing it.

That would be kind of disingenuous of her to lurk here while she is still supposedly BLIND and into her 4th episode of undead settlement, (she just found the first bonfire). I dont doubt its true though that she lurks..she killed the walking cage guy just the episode before and randomly mentioned the talking cage guy the next episode out of friggin nowhere.....(why didn't she think of it at the time?) She was just about to kill cage guy again, instead of just avoiding him and moving on...very skeptical that she just happened to trigger the "examine" thing before swinging at him by accident...very skeptical....I almost had a conniption and thought I caught her on "yholm the giant" last episode, but of course she had the opportunity to remember it from the opening cinematic, so she is off the hook.....for now!!!! ;p.

I cant believe more people dont suspect ENB of purposely "taking his glasses off" so he didn't see the sign that he stepped on and triggered the prompt of....How convenient, he will now get the endings in the order of most simple to complex. Its unfathomably difficult to be 100% blind and any time I do a blind let's play I purposely state what I was spoiled on and what I wasnt...makes it much more genuine that jsut taking advantage of the fact that the masses jsut assume every let's player on the web is 100% blind just becuase it says so in the title of their video.

Would you prefer we get the WOW version where twinks can just beat up on noobs and tough luck on them? I think this system is not without bugs, but pretty damn important to have, no?!?!?

So From released

DeS (Feb 2009)

DaS (Sept 2011)

DaS2 (March 2014)

BB (March 2015)

DaS3 (March 2016)

Are they gonna have another game for March 2017?
Who knows? Whatever FROM announces, I will be extreme interested in. My wallet is open already :p

But the Ds3 DLC is releasing this fall and spring(?).

Who knows? Whatever FROM announces, I will be extreme interested in. My wallet is open already :p

But the Ds3 DLC is releasing this fall and spring(?).

Fall and possible end of winter/start of spring? They said the second DLC drops early part of 2017.

Speaking of mad phantoms, this is quite possibly my favourite review of DaS 3 yet:

Snazzy Hazzy
7,637 of 7,955 people (96%) found this review helpful
3,780 people found this review funny

Recommended
0.0 hrs last two weeks / 131.3 hrs on record
Posted: 16 Apr @ 1:00pm
Updated: 16 Apr @ 1:01pm

I summoned a mad phantom with the intention of dueling him, but instead he sat down and offered to toast with me. We continued on throughout Undead Settlement together despite my wariness of him and he helped me take out all the mobs in the surrounding area. After a while, I became accustomed to fighting alongside my newfound friend and started turning my back to him knowing full well that he would protect me to his last, dying breath.

We were a team. The best of friends, and nothing could stand in our way. He may not have been a Warrior of Sunlight, but Solaire's legacy thrived on within him. Jolly co-operation resumed until we neared the Curse-Rotted Greatwood... And it was then that I decided to take yet another chance and summon a second Mound-Maker to see if we could rally him to our side.

The plan seemed successful at first. But it wasn't long before I noticed some suspicious patterns in the phantom's movement, and his interest in my backside became a significant concern. My anxiety was proven justified when the phantom took a swing at me with his greatsword and missed.

My loyal protector raised both his hand and his middle finger at the attacker, before charging forward with fury the likes of which none in Lothric had seen. He made it his personal duty to end the traitorous life of the one who would dare attempt to strike at me, and before long the violent fool was fleeing from our jolly wrath. He rushed up a ladder and leaped across rooftops before finally dropping a harmful distance to the ground, giving us an opening to attack. My companion launched himself from the rafters and his flowing cape waved majestically in the air as he readied his sword and plunged towards the infidel who would dare spit on the tenets of co-operation and sunlight.

The valiant protector lunged his sword deep through the attacker's back before he could escape, the weapon grinding through bone and flesh and rendering him a lifeless husk. I dropped down following this, and we waved and spun our capes at one another in excitement and victorious glee.

But this was the end of our time together. We gave each other one final wave before my friend's body started to fade away as he was whisked back to his own dimension.

It hit me I'd never see him again.

That and the one about door does not open from this side.

Blinck

Is it just me or after the recent patch there is a lot more texture and geometry pop-in on PS4?
I'm always freaking out when this happens in games since I think my PS4 is dying :(

Other than that, still having a blast with the game. Really think this might be the best Souls game overall. The lack of sharp gems annoys me though. These games should be all about character building and the gems in this game can make that awesome, but when you have so few around it's hard to commit to a weapon :(

That would be kind of disingenuous of her to lurk here while she is still supposedly BLIND and into her 4th episode of undead settlement, (she just found the first bonfire). I dont doubt its true though that she lurks..she killed the walking cage guy just the episode before and randomly mentioned the talking cage guy the next episode out of friggin nowhere.....(why didn't she think of it at the time?) She was just about to kill cage guy again, instead of just avoiding him and moving on...very skeptical that she just happened to trigger the "examine" thing before swinging at him by accident...very skeptical....I almost had a conniption and thought I caught her on "yholm the giant" last episode, but of course she had the opportunity to remember it from the opening cinematic, so she is off the hook.....for now!!!! ;p.

I cant believe more people dont suspect ENB of purposely "taking his glasses off" so he didn't see the sign that he stepped on and triggered the prompt of....How convenient, he will now get the endings in the order of most simple to complex. Its unfathomably difficult to be 100% blind and any time I do a blind let's play I purposely state what I was spoiled on and what I wasnt...makes it much more genuine that jsut taking advantage of the fact that the masses jsut assume every let's player on the web is 100% blind just becuase it says so in the title of their video.

I recently learned she has an account here so I hope she picks up our desire for more content. :p
Enb is 70% fake as fuck if I would have to bet. Not that it should matter, it's just silly entertainment.

Mist

Banned
I can't co op again. It worked fine right after the recent hot fixes, but now it fails to summon every time again. So frustrating.

Same here. I'm at the Nameless King and I'm getting my ass kicked, but I get the Unable to summon phantom message every time.

Would you prefer we get the WOW version where twinks can just beat up on noobs and tough luck on them? I think this system is not without bugs, but pretty damn important to have, no?!?!?

I was as blind as could be. Only things I knew about were some covenants, armour sets, ring existence(not where they were). Messages helped me find U
ntended Graves
and A
rchdragon peak
. And I found out about Sm
oldering lake
when trying to look up info of something unrelated. Still figured out how to get there on my own for the most part. But nothing super game breaking.

Ferr986

It's not my intention to twink anyone. It's just that I grew up to reach level metas. Thats why I try to finish builds at the minimum level possible.

Also, wasn't my intention to criticize the system. On the contrary, I'm happy FROM has put measures to make twinks harder (I was there went I was a noob surrounded by twinks in Undead Parish). This is just about my mindset when doing builds. Call it some kind of OCD if you want lol

4 on my mage.

Crystal Soulmass
Farron Flashsword
Soul Greatsword
Crystal Soulspear

Works out nicely.

SL100 btw.

On my current pyro I have 4 slots. I have Great Chaos Fire Orb, Fire Whip, and Black Fire Orb in my slots. Honestly though, I pretty much only use GCFO. I have 29 attunement and I kinda regret leveling it so high. The main benefit is that at 29 attunement you have 224 FP, which allows you to cast exactly 7 GCFOs. The drawback is you need to use the Ashen Estus Ring to fully refill your FP with the flask.

Yeah, for one 4 spells seems about the right thing to have, but its true that pyro is basically CFB, even on PvP. I have not much luck when I try to use any other spells.

Even Fire whip, I have more luck when I just throw a Chaos orb onto my feets when someone comes to hit me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it just me or after the recent patch there is a lot more texture and geometry pop-in on PS4?
I'm always freaking out when this happens in games since I think my PS4 is dying :(
It has had consistent texture pop-in since day 1 for me. I don't think your PS4 is dying.

Late Flag

Same here. I'm at the Nameless King and I'm getting my ass kicked, but I get the Unable to summon phantom message every time.

That's normal. Everybody wants to summon there, so when you try to summon a phantom, there's an excellent chance that they've already been summoned to a different player's game by the time you click their sign. That gives you the "unable to summon phantom" message.

laxu

Best soul farming is Grand Archives. Start at bonfire, go up lift, left upstairs, 3 winged Knights. With the proper gear, you get around 90K each run.

The way to do that is to use the Rapport spell. Cast it on the first one that falls from the tower and then wait for it to get killed or kill its buddy, repeat spell for any remaining dudes. Minimal risk.

Tarkus

The way to do that is to use the Rapport spell. Cast it on the first one that falls from the tower and then wait for it to get killed or kill its buddy, repeat spell for any remaining dudes. Minimal risk.
I'm much faster at killing them than they are themselves. Cool trick though.

Is there a reason why Blues dissapear when there is still a Faithful in my world? Everytime time there is a red/purple and a Faithful and we kill the red/purple first the Blue gets sent home.

I've also noticed that Blues don't show up when only a Faithful invades. You'd think that they'd stick around to fight their sworn enemies.

Tarkus

Twin Princes' Greatsword!!!! Finally a greatsword with decent hyper armor. I mean UGS level HA. Hits hard too! I guess that puts the notion that all weapons in a class have the same amount of hyper armor to bed.

Is there a reason why Blues dissapear when there is still a Faithful in my world? Everytime time there is a red/purple and a Faithful and we kill the red/purple first the Blue gets sent home.

I've also noticed that Blues don't show up when only a Faithful invades. You'd think that they'd stick around to fight their sworn enemies.

I think blues only fight against red invaders, not area invaders like Farron & Aldrich.

Mist

Banned
That's normal. Everybody wants to summon there, so when you try to summon a phantom, there's an excellent chance that they've already been summoned to a different player's game by the time you click their sign. That gives you the "unable to summon phantom" message.

I see. Although I keep seeing the same summon signs. So I guess none of those people are actually being summoned to someone else's world either. I'll just try again tomorrow.

Wow I actually got summoned as a blue sentential on my level 30 character when I loaded up my save file to a different steam account. Maybe it was luck but We will see what happens. Going to try it on my level ~85 character.

Edit: Welp I just got summoned as a blue sentinel on my level 84. However I didn't get the reward when the invader died :|

Deku Tree

Twin Princes' Greatsword!!!! Finally a greatsword with decent hyper armor. I mean UGS level HA. Hits hard too! I guess that puts the notion that all weapons in a class have the same amount of hyper armor to bed.

On paper that sword looks pretty bad. Is it just the hyper armor that makes it better?

Tarkus

On paper that sword looks pretty bad. Is it just the hyper armor that makes it better?
I'm getting 542 AR with a 40/40. Its speed and moveset are the same as the Bastard Sword, which is good. I can pull off 7 one-handed R1s, so its stamina consumption is great. Decent length, the aforementioned hyper armor, and one useful skill move puts it up there among my favorites. 9.5 units of weight is not bad either.

Edit: I'd say its hyper armor is just a hair less than the Astora Greatsword, but it's there unlike the Claymore.

Soulhouf

What are y'all's favourite places to invade?

(Not fight club but actual invasions)

Farron's Keep because I'm an asshole
Irithyll Dungeon because I like prisons and spooky places
The Archives because there are a lot to play with in that area
The area after Sulivan boss because of how chaotic that place often is

Top Bottom