• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

So if someone else drops their ring and lets me pick it up briefly, only to return it will that count for the trophy? If so hopefully i can find someone to help me do that for the Wolf and Obscuring ring, and i can skip doing the covenant stuff as i'm just really not enjoying it and their a bit tedious to farm and can focus going through NG+ and NG++ to get the +1's and 2's, and the few spells and gestures i'm missing.
Sure I can drop all the rings for you on either PC or ps4. Steam and psn is the same as my gaf name. Just give me ~10 mins

edit: make that 20 mins, think my friend needs help with nameless king.

Sure I can drop all the rings for you on either PC or ps4. Steam and psn is the same as my gaf name. Just give me ~10 mins

Oh thats awesome! I still need to get the +1 and +2 rings though, it'd be a bit much to ask you to drop all those too and i certainly don't mind picking them all up, i actually had a lot of fun hunting down all the normal rings.

I'm very glad to hear that though, i'm going to jump into NG+ and start having fun again.

I just need to find someone to let me kill them for Vertebrae Shackles now too lol!

EDIT: Thanks for being rad iRAWRasaurus!

Bearjewpiter

Neo Member
Very Lttp on this but I beat
nameless king/king of the storm
a few weeks ago but I'm watching a LP of the game and I just wanted to ask about peoples trouble with the boss. My only issue was the fire breath from
king of the storm
. I felt it was so unfairly designed, the only way I ever dodged it was running directly at the tail but that's not good design imo. I love all Dark Souls games and I want them to be punnishing but having a mechanic that takes you from ~99-0% HP was just eye-rollingly lame. I beat
nameless king
in about 3-4 tries, hardly a problem, it was all the stupid fire breath. Maybe I'm lame but I had far more issues/deaths with
Dancer
. Do you think it was my strength build or is that "challenge" of the boss?

Oh thats awesome! I still need to get the +1 and +2 rings though, it'd be a bit much to ask you to drop all those too and i certainly don't mind picking them all up, i actually had a lot of fun hunting down all the normal rings.

I'm very glad to hear that though, i'm going to jump into NG+ and start having fun again.

I just need to find someone to let me kill them for Vertebrae Shackles now too lol!

EDIT: Thanks for being rad iRAWRasaurus!

Just put your summon/invasion sign outside of P
ontiff
. You're sure to get lots of summons to fight and get shackles. Being a purplebro/dick was the funnest covenant for me.

Just put your summon/invasion sign outside of P
ontiff
. You're sure to get lots of summons to fight and get shackles. Being a purplebro/dick was the funnest covenant for me.

Oh i know, i just really dislike PVP. Not just in Dark Souls but any game, I have like a negative competitive spirit. Its more like an aversion to PVP.

Mistel

Banned
I know 5 isn't a large enough sample size. I'm just hoping more people try it, the more people try it the better. Like I said when I originally suggested it, it could be very anecdotal, but I hope it actually has influence.

Hehe I might make a super OP early game build
You could get a +10 via that method with no foreseeable issues at all. I feel like there was a hidden effect by now it would have made it further afield than it has done based on prior examples.
Sweet, cheers Morrigan - looks like picking the Mercenary to begin with was the right call: https://youtu.be/YRu1XXMVX9g
Supplimentary to that the Sellsword Twinblades are a decent DEX weapon once upgraded and there are several DEX orientated weapons within the Straight Sword, Greatsword, Ultra, and Greatbow classes if you decide you want some variation from the typical norms.

Tarkus

Sweet, cheers Morrigan - looks like picking the Mercenary to begin with was the right call: https://youtu.be/YRu1XXMVX9g
If you're really trying to understand the story, I believe you've done yourselves a disservice by not playing DS1 first. There will be a lot of references that you just won't understand. If you're just in it for the gameplay though, you'll be fine.

I like to try and locate British accents. Yours is quite neutral though, so I'll have to guess it's London RP.

So I missed the Moundmakers covenant apparently, and can't get it until NG+. But I'd like to get the 30 shackles before moving onto NG+. I've been farming for hours and I have a grand total of 6. I think even the Proofs of Concord were easier.

Is there an easier way to get them, short of moving onto NG+, getting Moundmakers, and then finding someone to let me invade them over and over?

So I missed the Moundmakers covenant apparently, and can't get it until NG+. But I'd like to get the 30 shackles before moving onto NG+. I've been farming for hours and I have a grand total of 6. I think even the Proofs of Concord were easier.

Is there an easier way to get them, short of moving onto NG+, getting Moundmakers, and then finding someone to let me invade them over and over?

My understanding is you can farm them with a friend, does just defeating a Mound-Maker give you a shackle? If so i'll be happy to do it with you (i do have the Mound-Maker covenant) as i need to do it too, if you're on PS4. PSN: jacob_armitage

My understanding is you can farm them with a friend, does just defeating a Mound-Maker give you a shackle? If so i'll be happy to do it with you (i do have the Mound-Maker covenant) as i need to do it too, if you're on PS4. PSN: jacob_armitage

PC, sorry, should have specified. :(
Appreciate the offer though!!

According to the wiki, the conditions seem confusing. If I had the covenant, I could invade a friend and kill them to get one. I think killing an invading Mound Maker would work too, BUT apparently they have to invade without being summoned via an invasion sign? So I'm not sure how that'd work...

PC, sorry, should have specified. :(
Appreciate the offer though!!

According to the wiki, the conditions seem confusing. If I had the covenant, I could invade a friend and kill them to get one. I think killing an invading Mound Maker would work too, BUT apparently they have to invade without being summoned via an invasion sign? So I'm not sure how that'd work...

Might just be best to get it on your second game. Much better than farming for 'em.

Tarkus

Are they? It feels like the damn Fallen Knight set has the best stats, weight-wise. Which is probably why everyone wears it...
It may be my VIT or something, but I've gone through everything and they can't be topped. Faraam Gauntlets are pretty good too.

I wanted so bad to try and wear something different. I've had these things equipped for so long. I have to wear the Tarkus helmet just because. The next thing I experiment with has to be the chest armor. I want a cape, so Drang has it right now.

Alo0oy

Banned
Just saw those on twitter, what do you guys think?

CgPeoGkWEAAANdi.jpg

CgPg5kHXIAAEofD.jpg

I think it's exaggerating DS1's structure for a bit though.

Mistel

Banned
It may be my VIT or something, but I've gone through everything and they can't be topped. Faraam Gauntlets are pretty good too.

I wanted so bad to try and wear something different. I've had these things equipped for so long. I have to wear the Tarkus helmet just because. The next thing I experiment with has to be the chest armor. I want a cape, so Drang has it right now.
The Lothric Knight armor set is pretty good as well and a cape too one of the nicer looking sets.

Gbraga

Just finished my first playthrough :D

Grand Archives
is such a complex and fun level, loved it!

I think Lothric is my favorite boss, but of course these things always change on consecutive playthroughs, so who knows. Right now my top 3 would be Lothric, N.K. and Aldrich.

Next time I play I'll just finish some shit before I move on to NG+ to try to get a few different quests and work torwards a different ending. The one I got on my first playthrough was
The Usurpation of Fire
. It was decent, but I kind of expected more from it. We'll see, maybe after I think about it some more.
Was kind of hoping Kaathe would be more directly referenced in the ending. Though it does make it seem like a new beginning rather than just an end to the story, so maybe one of the DLCs will take place in Londor? Who knows.

Just finished my first playthrough :D

Grand Archives
is such a complex and fun level, loved it!

I think Lothric is my favorite boss, but of course these things always change on consecutive playthroughs, so who knows. Right now my top 3 would be Lothric, N.K. and Aldrich.

Next time I play I'll just finish some shit before I move on to NG+ to try to get a few different quests and work torwards a different ending. The one I got on my first playthrough was
The Usurpation of Fire
. It was decent, but I kind of expected more from it. We'll see, maybe after I think about it some more.
Was kind of hoping Kaathe would be more directly referenced in the ending. Though it does make it seem like a new beginning rather than just an end to the story, so maybe one of the DLCs will take place in Londor? Who knows.

What? WHAT? HOW? It's RNG the boss...

As I said, first playthrough, so that might change, but it didn't feel that way.

He's also easily my favorite character in the entire series, so that also had an impact.

Really? But he...
ate Gwyndolin :(
. I find the fight stupid, mainly due to the large amount of RNG

Anyways just got the Gestures achievements. Now I only need the rings and one of the endings.

Melchiah

I was having more trouble with the game than I did with BB, as I played until S
mouldering Lake
and I
rithyll Dungeon
thinking that I need to use the shield all the time. It was a revelation of sorts when I started using the two-handed mode, and switched to Dark Sword, which I've now upgraded to +8. Now I can actually do some pretty good damage.

The hardest part I've come across so far have been
the mob of Jailers, and the two Sulyvahn's Beasts.
The latter took me more times to beat than any of the bosses so far. As for the bosses, the O
ld Demon King
was by far the hardest, even with a NPC partner.

The H
and Ogre
might be the most grotesque enemy I've seen in both DS3 and BB.

Does upgrading the pyro flame increase the flame buff damage?

Similarly would upgrading the sorcerer's staff increase the magic weapon buff?

Melchiah

You probably shouldn't google Star-Nosed Mole then.

Heh. I can see the resemblance.

On a side note, I'm really looking forward to exploring the areas, that come after the third Lord of Cinder.

I've been enjoying some of the NPC quests, particularly those of
Yoel/Yuria and Siegward
. The conclusion to the latter was bittersweet. Unfortunately, I screwed up the
Sirris
quest.

Melchiah

I don't know, I find Aldrich pretty straight forward. I've coop the boss a ton of times and I have his move set memorized .

That was a pretty easy boss fight. I managed to beat it on the second try. The hardest ones have so far been
The Old Demon King, Abyss Watchers, and Pontiff Sulyvahn.
. In that order.

Very Lttp on this but I beat
nameless king/king of the storm
a few weeks ago but I'm watching a LP of the game and I just wanted to ask about peoples trouble with the boss. My only issue was the fire breath from
king of the storm
. I felt it was so unfairly designed, the only way I ever dodged it was running directly at the tail but that's not good design imo. I love all Dark Souls games and I want them to be punnishing but having a mechanic that takes you from ~99-0% HP was just eye-rollingly lame. I beat
nameless king
in about 3-4 tries, hardly a problem, it was all the stupid fire breath. Maybe I'm lame but I had far more issues/deaths with
Dancer
. Do you think it was my strength build or is that "challenge" of the boss?
Quoting a post of mine from a page or two back re: the flame breath:

As long as you don't stand under the dragon it will never do the fire AoE. It's like a 'get the fuck off me' tactic. Stay in front or to the side of it's face.

laxu

Just dropping by to say that we're excited to start our offline, blind (as much as possible) playthrough, and we're also making it into a Let's Play series in case anyone's interested in watching it. I'll be posting our thoughts every now and then, but otherwise I'll be skipping around the thread since I know a lot of you will have finished the game many times over at this point!

I also wanted to ask - how good/strong is a Dex build in this game? It looks like it plays similar to Bloodborne, and I want fast staggering strikes rather than wait and hit counter-strikes.

I remember watching some of your Bloodborne videos but didn't find them particularly interesting because they lacked any sort of commentary while also not being played any better than I could. While there is a place for let's play videos like that and certainly beats having over-excited constant blather and screaming like some YouTubers do, I do enjoy hearing how the player experiences the game.

The game favours fast weapons in PvE most of the time and there are a few weapons in particular that hit way too hard considering how fast they are. If you read this thread R1 spam for a few weapons in particular is a real thing. I didn't really know how to parry or use a shield during my first playthrough coming from Bloodborne and did quite well when I got my dodging game on point.

I don't know if NPC invasions happen if you are offline but I would definitely suggest playing it online as random invasions can be quite interesting.

Szadek

Never had a problem dodging the flame breath attack.
Just spamming roll while moving away from the boss worked for me almost every time.

RiggyRob

Supplimentary to that the Sellsword Twinblades are a decent DEX weapon once upgraded and there are several DEX orientated weapons within the Straight Sword, Greatsword, Ultra, and Greatbow classes if you decide you want some variation from the typical norms.

Cool - I specifically wanted to try something different to before, which was Strength/Arcane and Sorcerer, so I figured Mercenary/Dex was the way to go.

If you're really trying to understand the story, I believe you've done yourselves a disservice by not playing DS1 first. There will be a lot of references that you just won't understand. If you're just in it for the gameplay though, you'll be fine.

I like to try and locate British accents. Yours is quite neutral though, so I'll have to guess it's London RP.

I would have done, had Dark Souls been released on PS4, but that rumoured remaster never came to be.

Also London Received Pronunciation is not even close to our accent xD that's more like the BBC news presenters, but even they don't always have RP accents any more.

Disktrasa

Banned
I havent played this in a looong time, maybe killed 3 bosses, but Will play it on My vaccation in summer, do you think its still easy to get help via coop then? Is it many online still playing?

I havent played this in a looong time, maybe killed 3 bosses, but Will play it on My vaccation in summer, do you think its still easy to get help via coop then? Is it many online still playing?

I've been replaying through the franchise and even Demon's and Dark Souls are still pretty easy to find people to summon, though this may be refreshed interest from the new release. You'll be fine to play it come the summer, plus with the password system if you ever have trouble finding someone to play with, you can just ask one of us for help.

gaugebozo

So, I tried it the way that everyone does by equipping several items that increase your luck and going to Anor Londo and killing silver knights, I did that for like 2 hours and I think I received two Concords for that. I also had the item on that makes you eligible to be summoned and for whatever reason I was hardly ever summoned at Anor Londo.

So what I did was went to Grand Archives and ArchDragon Peak and I was getting summoned constantly. My soul level was around 110 I think, I don't recall my weapon levels, don't think that mattered at all.

This is so weird. I was getting Darkmoon summoned all the time in Anor Londo. I had the covenant equipped from the start of NG+, and only had like 4 summons unti then. It was almost constant after the Pontiff.

Disktrasa

Banned
I've been replaying through the franchise and even Demon's and Dark Souls are still pretty easy to find people to summon, though this may be refreshed interest from the new release. You'll be fine to play it come the summer, plus with the password system if you ever have trouble finding someone to play with, you can just ask one of us for help.

ilovegaf.gif

For every additional phantom a host summons the soul reward for phantom and host kills should increase. For all the leg work I put in to kill these hosts that just run away I should be getting paid extra.

I always likened Dark Souls 3 to something like old DOOM, where DOOM was technically linear in progression in that you go from level to level (and you occasionally find a secret level) but the levels themselves tend to have decent exploration within themselves.

laxu

Is there much point in getting any weapons that are upgraded with Twinkling Titanite, apart from cool looks and possibly movesets? Because so far it seems that the regular Titanite/Large/Chunk upgraded weapons in the end nearly always end up better often with possibility to buff them too. Upgrade cost ends up roughly the same too as regular Titanite and Large Titanite are in abundance later in the game.

Also any point leveling DEX beyond what is needed to use a weapon you want? Mine is about 30 now whereas I've gone above 40 on STR because of weapons that need higher stats to wield.

PS. Might have to start coming around to the "Golden Falcon Shield does something" club because I was able to get a lot more Pale Tongue drops from the Dark Wraiths near Abyss Watchers. Wolf swordgrass, which I was actually trying to farm, dropped just as badly as before when I was using Crystal Sage Rapier to boost item discovery.

It's generally easier to have a decent supply of scales and twinkling compared to large titanite and titanite chunks, so during a playthrough it's easier to try out a unique weapon as a secondary option. That and Anri's Sword (Twinkling Upgrade) is really good.

Dex is mostly for damage.

Top Bottom