• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Gbraga

Really? But he...
ate Gwyndolin :(
. I find the fight stupid, mainly due to the large amount of RNG

Anyways just got the Gestures achievements. Now I only need the rings and one of the endings.

Which is only one of the many amazing things he did!

What a brilliant character, his entire arc is so amazing.

That was a pretty easy boss fight. I managed to beat it on the second try. The hardest ones have so far been
The Old Demon King, Abyss Watchers, and Pontiff Sulyvahn.
. In that order.
Old Demon king is some bullshit and a half because "haha half of your health is gone because you stepped in some lingering flames!" I truly had a difficult time with Abyss Watchers though. I think the problem was that I was using a Katana during my first run. A lot of people who says how easy it is all us Greatsword and stagger him.
Which is only one of the many amazing things he did!

What a brilliant character, his entire arc is so amazing.
You sick bastard.

Gbraga

You sick bastard.

Don't get me wrong, he's disgusting, but so fascinating! He was able
to make me feel sorry for Gwyndolin!

Even the way
he influenced the deacons while asleep in his coffin, making those who forced him to link the fire now become his followers.

Aldrich is THE BEST.

Not to mention I was super hyped to see how in the world they would make a goo boss fight,
but the actual boss is even more impressive. Such a bombastic reveal!

laxu

Not to mention I was super hyped to see how in the world they would make a goo boss fight,
but the actual boss is even more impressive. Such a bombastic reveal!

To me it's the opposite. For such an important boss, there is no cutscene reveal and he seems more like
Gwyndolin
with a turd tail as all the moves are telegraphed by
Gwyndolin's
movements.

laxu

I truly had a difficult time with Abyss Watchers though. I think the problem was that I was using a Katana during my first run. A lot of people who says how easy it is all us Greatsword and stagger him.

It was the same for me. Took me many tries to get thru as the Uchigatana has completely shit staggering. On my second playthrough I farmed the Dark Sword first and took the AW out on my first try.

The game has a very wierd balance regarding damage, weapon speed and staggering. Straight swords are pretty great at all three while rapiers have high speed and stagger but katanas only do decent damage and some bleed while larger weapons just have hyperarmor but rarely killer damage or that much better range compared to some of the straight swords.

Gbraga

To me it's the opposite. For such an important boss, there is no cutscene reveal and he seems more like
Gwyndolin
with a turd tail as all the moves are telegraphed by
Gwyndolin's
movements.

The lack of a cutscene works for me because it doesn't give you time to process what you just saw, you're hit right in the face
with Gwyndolin when you were expecting black goo
, and you have to collect your thoughts while you dodge and fight him. I thought it was fantastic, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Ferr986

The lack of a cutscene works for me because it doesn't give you time to process what you just saw, you're hit right in the face
with Gwyndolin when you were expecting black goo
, and you have to collect your thoughts while you dodge and fight him. I thought it was fantastic, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Even though I don't care that much about him, I gotta agree with this. It makes the reveal more shocking IMO.

It's one of these bosses that works better without cutscene for me, like Gwyn in DS1, for example.

Gbraga

Even though I don't care that much about him, I gotta agree with this. It makes the reveal more shocking IMO.

It's one of these bosses that works better without cutscene for me, like Gwyn in DS1, for example.

Exactly! Perfect comparison.

HeeHo

Anybody have an extra symbol of avarice? I have searched high and low and have double checked all my mimic locations but I never got one.

Melchiah

Old Demon king is some bullshit and a half because "haha half of your health is gone because you stepped in some lingering flames!" I truly had a difficult time with Abyss Watchers though. I think the problem was that I was using a Katana during my first run. A lot of people who says how easy it is all us Greatsword and stagger him.

The stomp was what killed me the most, as it often came when I was just healing the damage I took from the flames. AW reminded me of BB's Maria, but I couldn't parry him as easily as her, and dodging quickly depleted the stamina. I had to call NPC to help, and even then it took a few tries. Eventhough ODK might have been harder, I disliked AW more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, I have checked timezones and well we are far away lol.

I used GMT (which is basically UTC) as a neutral point and I thought that the best time is: Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

That's 16:00 EST (4:00 pm) and 14:00 PDT (2:00 pm)

Take care about your summer times and all, here's a cool site to compare timezones and hours:

http://time.is/compare

That dosn't mean we'll start exactly at that hour, but rather a time to put in common so we'll know more or less when to start.

I'll probably will be online before that, so don't take it a set in stone. If you prefer other hours and can get into agreement that's perfect I have free all day tomorrow.

Rules:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

- First buff is free, both players can buff once before attacking each other, any other buff will have to happen midfight.

I think this is a good compromise and IIRC is something we mostly agreed.

I already set the password on the spreadsheet, is obviously DS2SUCKS

Is not obviously that just kidding lol

If you still wanna join here's the spreadsheet link.

Quote to see it

I'll add people tomorrow, and I'll be the first host if that's fine to you guys. We'll talk the little details later, I have to go now lol.

See ya and get some training today lol.
So are we still doing this? In about 1h40?

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Finally done with Vertebre Shackle and Proof of Concord Kept farming. Now all I got is the game++ rings.

(TONIGHT AS TONIGHT HERE ON EUROP LOL)

Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

PS4

(PC guys can set their own matches as well, but I will be hosting and playing on PS4)

(Site says is about 2h from now, for me, but for others I guess is 1h or so? Must be summer time shanenigans, I'll be already in 1h20m anyway so that's not a problem)

http://time.is/compare

Rules:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

- First buff is free, both players can buff once before attacking each other, any other buff will have to happen midfight.

Quote to see it

PASSWORD IS IN THE SPREADSHEET

This is obviously PS4 only right? I see like 3 people on PC on that spreadsheet.

Yes, I set up the opportunity to choose platform in the case there was enough people on PC and we could set a paralel event on PC.

Alo0oy

Banned
I haven't felt guilty invading someone since Dark Souls 1 until today.

I invaded someone in Irithyll, I could tell it was his/her first playthrough because s/he was exploring that useless dark building with all the shadows near the church of Yorshka, with a torch as well.

So I show up out of nowhere, do the curved sword's R1-L2-R2 combo, s/he drops down and then I do a plunging attack. S/he didn't even have time to react, I felt very guilty afterwards, it was a lone person exploring in their first playthrough with a torch and I just ruined that, the no reacting thing is what made me feel guilty, it looks like s/he was walking towards the camera and didn't see me run towards him/her.

I actually put the controller down afterwards.

I invaded someone in Irithyll, I could tell it was his/her first playthrough because s/he was exploring that useless dark building with all the shadows near the church of Yorshka, with a torch as well.

So I show up out of nowhere, do the curved sword's R1-L2-R2 combo, s/he drops down and then I do a plunging attack. S/he didn't even have time to react, I felt very guilty afterwards, it was a lone person exploring in their first playthrough with a torch and I just ruined that, the no reacting thing is what made me feel guilty, it looks like s/he was walking towards the camera and didn't see me run towards him/her.

Their fault for being embered :p. Don't feel bad, you introduced them to the wonderful world of Dark Souls!

Melchiah

Their fault for being embered :p. Don't feel bad, you introduced them to the wonderful world of Dark Souls!

Better play offline, and have no-one interrupt your exploring. I did so with both BB and DS3.

I actually thought I was invaded once, and quitted the game immediately as I didn't want to give the intruder the satisfaction. Later on I learned it was a NPC phantom.

SDR-UK

If no one else is up to I could do it. I have 300/300 so should be good but my english sucks so I wouldn't be speaking or anything :/

That's fine, I'm not expecting any in-depth shout-casting of the fights, I would just merely appreciate being able to see how the fights go.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Don't worry. They'll resume exploring un-embered and then can go at their own pace. Such invasions are part of Souls.

I'll never forget my first invasion in Demon's. That "oh shit!!" moment when I see "____ has invaded your world!" flashing, that was a scary and daunting, yet exciting moment that changed my perception of the game. I lost that fight after holding my own for a while (the invader was fairly new at PvP too I think) but I wasn't mad, just "awwww damn that was close!" and I noticed my heart was pounding, and I hoped that more invaders would show up so I could try again and get better.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Let me set password and all!

I'll be the first host, set your signs at pointiff PvP hotspot.

On my way! I'll bring my dex for now.

Edit: oops, out of habit I cast Tears of Denial right away. I won't weapon-buff until it cracks or I die, sorry.

Since there's no one yet, wanna just duel for now?

Ferr986

Hah it's just regular dex actually. Carthus rouge is effective even without a specific bleed build

Level 96 here for now. Carrying 1 mil souls and not sure where to put my points in... might just buy tons of consumables

I got a little more vit, I was at 27, it probably wont cut it against 120 guys. I'll revert back with cloud saves because I wanted to stay below meta.

Carthus gives like +45 to bleed, IMO is a bit too much, makes luck based builds almost irrelevant.

it totally caught me offguard lol

EDIT: Too greedy tryign to get a Chaos fireball damn!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm that one was laggy compared to the other, teleporting all over the place. How was it on you guys' end?

Edit: haha GG anyway, close fight, wasn't expecting your pyro to bleed me either xD

Top Bottom