• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulAtiCa

Oh what's that, you spent the last 45 minutes getting 100,000 souls. Not anymore lolz.

Probably is going to be worse this time around with ganking too since a good number of people are already high level.
Isn't PvP based on levels now? Unless your high level yourself, you won't be invaded by gank high level parties. Low level good gear by invaders perhaps though.

For me, all part of the experience. I'm not even that good, so I die a good bit too (though I do do better in invasions then duels)

aravuus

Offensive miracles are weak but heal and regeneration kept me alive and stocked with Estus so much in my first playthrough

Sure, but even then your main (possibly only) way of dealing damage is going to be melee weapons. It would be a stretch to call that a miracle build, imo.

Miracles are not good. Pyromancy is better, but maybe still not perfectly viable? Not sure, I've seen lots of conflicting reports on that.

Either way, if you're gonna pick between those two, go pyro.

Any clue how sorcery stacks up against those two?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If invasions were somewhat balanced, they'd be fun. They aren't, so they're not. Dominated by wiki-turds whose self-fulfillment stems from skirting actual challenge in favor of lolz-e-ganking.

This is an unfortunate trend in gaming recently to eschew balance to cater to the no-life griefers. Soooo fun. At least Souls doesn't allow gank squads, so that's something at least.

Neoweee

Any clue how sorcery stacks up against those two?

Also awful, until you've already beaten the game and have an absurd number of points to put into things and know exactly what to do in fights.

There are a bunch of change to the magic system and to a lesser extent the weight/stamina/armor system, and some enemies can be super fast, all of which leaves pure casters in pain.

If you are going Sorcery, you actually want a lot of early Dex, which increases your cast speed. Cast Speed isn't shown on the stat screen anymore, so good luck figuring out when it is worth it and when it isn't.

Respect

Oh what's that, you spent the last 45 minutes getting 100,000 souls. Not anymore lolz.

Probably is going to be worse this time around with ganking too since a good number of people are already high level.

I know, it's the best! Can't wait! Well, maybe not the smurf invasions, but I'll take it in stride.

Clockwork5

Gonna have to block so many people in this thread for the next two weeks. There is just too much info being flung around. Dark Souls 3 virgins only.

Vire

If invasions were somewhat balanced, they'd be fun. They aren't, so they're not. Dominated by wiki-turds whose self-fulfillment stems from skirting actual challenge in favor of lolz-i-ganking.

This is an unfortunate trend in gaming recently to eschew balance to cater to the no-life griefers. Soooo fun. At least Souls doesn't allow gank squads, so that's something at least.

samu.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
In all the souls games i've played, maybe a dozen invasions were balanced, fun fights.

And they were really, really fun.

But as rare as they were fun.

The Lamp

There are people who don't use dark theme?!

Dark theme is gross. It's dark and depressing, like forum browsing is supposed to feel like some sort of cavelike despair.

Anyway, I was going to play this tomorrow but my grandma had a medical emergency so I'm out of the country for a week now. When I get back next weekend it'll be nice to play, but then ill be behind both the importers and the rest of GAF.

Tarkus

If invasions were somewhat balanced, they'd be fun. They aren't, so they're not. Dominated by wiki-turds whose self-fulfillment stems from skirting actual challenge in favor of lolz-e-ganking.

Your bloods will be the sweetest dripping from my Estoc.

Also awful, until you've already beaten the game and have an absurd number of points to put into things and know exactly what to do in fights.

There are a bunch of change to the magic system and to a lesser extent the weight/stamina/armor system, and some enemies can be super fast, all of which leaves pure casters in pain.

If you are going Sorcery, you actually want a lot of early Dex, which increases your cast speed. Cast Speed isn't shown on the stat screen anymore, so good luck figuring out when it is worth it and when it isn't.

That's disappointing. After bloodborne I was looking forward to kicking back and slinging blue stuff. Strength it is

Sanctuary

Well then.

That slight bit going up to 20 Dex is a hell of a lot more damage output to Sorceries than you'd get from Int that early, though!

=(

Does it differ from spell to spell, at least?

No sure, but it did in the previous two games. You could reach a point where you couldn't get any more speed gains on something like Great Soul Arrow, but Soul Spear would still benefit in Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls was kind of wonky with spell speed though. It was almost to the point of being binary. You took DEX to 40 and it noticeably improved the speed, but it was capped there. If you didn't take it that high, it practically made no difference.

sanhora

Does the 364.72 game ready driver have any 100% necessary fixes for this, or does the game run fine with older drivers?
I haven't bothered updating in months because I've had no problems and all the newer ones seem to have a bunch of random issues?

jrcbandit

I liked Bloodborne version of invasion, there were only a few select areas you could be openly invaded unless you recruited others to help you. Is DS3 like that?

Would it be a good idea to start knight no matter what class you eventually want to play just to have 100% physical shield + a decent amount of strength/vitality to equip shield and medium armor? It sounds like putting your initial souls into vigor and endurance is the way to go at the start to 20-25 range and then proceed from there. Not sure if I will focus on a strength or dexterity build, unless magic happens to be insanely overpowered.

Does your max health still drop each time you die until you become human again like in previous games, or did they finally ditch that mechanic?

Neoweee

Does your max health still drop each time you die until you become human again like in previous games, or did they finally ditch that mechanic?

It is the Demon's Souls Health mechanic, assuming the Ring of Whatever that was in both DeS and DS2. You have a form that goes away when you die that gives +30% Max HP. Everybody used the Ring, so they just built it into the core mechanic, finally.

Yes. Only 5 times per char, though, and it's a bit hidden.

Oh. Well I shouldn't be doing it that often and I guess I could always make multiple characters as usual too.

Not sure whether to roll as knight or warrior for my first go. I do love me some big swords.

It is the Demon's Souls Health, assuming the Ring of Whatever that was in both DeS and DS2. You have a form that goes away when you die that gives +30% Max HP. Everybody used the Ring, so they just built it into the core mechanic, finally.

Nice. That shit was getting irritating.

Does this game still have the Offline mode / Online mode option at the main menu?

Sanctuary

Does the 364.72 game ready driver have any 100% necessary fixes for this, or does the game run fine with older drivers?
I haven't bothered updating in months because I've had no problems and all the newer ones seem to have a bunch of random issues?

It's not worth the trade-off. The last two Nvidia driver releases have been a buggy mess. Would you rather deal with a potential framerate loss (~5fps) or would you rather have to deal with the driver crashing, causing a black screen (or tan in regards to 364.72) and a hard system freeze? That literally happened to me up to ten times with each driver across a few days time span. I simply reverted to an earlier driver and haven't had any problems since.

It is the Demon's Souls Health, assuming the Ring of Whatever that was in both DeS and DS2. You have a form that goes away when you die that gives +30% Max HP. Everybody used the Ring, so they just built it into the core mechanic, finally.

You aren't talking about the Cling Ring are you? The only rings that I knew that seemed to be "mandatory" for general use that granted health were the FAP like rings.

sanhora

It's not worth the trade-off. The last two Nvidia driver releases have been a buggy mess. Would you rather deal with a potential framerate loss (~5fps) or would you rather have to deal with the driver crashing, causing a black screen (or tan in regards to 364.72) and a hard system freeze? That literally happened to me up to ten times with each driver across a few days time span. I simply reverted to an earlier driver and haven't had any problems since.

That's what I figured. Will see how it runs and possibly update to 362, which I've heard is the last stable one with no problems.

Can't wait, for ppl who have played this already, how are the katanas in the game? I also don't see the stat that would give you invincibility frames like is DS2, does it mean I'll have to use a shield? I really enjoyed playing DS2 like Bloodborne as in without shields

jrcbandit

I really hate Nvidia now. Due to their incompetent drivers, I had to completely reinstall Windows 10. Don't go past 362, it's not worth the potential headache with freezes, under clocking, crashes, or in my case the inability to install/uninstall drivers. I had to use the driver cleaner program from guru3d in safe mode just to uninstall 364 drivers, and it still wouldn't let me install any Nvidia drivers period until I reinstalled Windows 10. This weird problem didn't happen until I installed 364.54.

aravuus

Can't wait, for ppl who have played this already, how are the katanas in the game? I also don't see the stat that would give you invincibility frames like is DS2, does it mean I'll have to use a shield? I really enjoyed playing DS2 like Bloodborne as in without shields

There are iframes, they're just not tied to any stat - like it has been in every other Soulsborne game but 2.

I really hate Nvidia now. Due to their incompetent drivers, I had to completely reinstall Windows 10. Don't go past 362, it's not worth the potential headache with freezes, under clocking, crashes, or in my case the inability to install/uninstall drivers. I had to use the driver cleaner program from guru3d in safe mode just to uninstall 364 drivers, and it still wouldn't let me install any Nvidia drivers period until I reinstalled Windows 10. This weird problem didn't happen until I installed 364.54.

Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous. I'm still on 35x cause I'm too scared to update.

Neoweee

Katanas are good.

As for the second, some discussion on mechanics, which is a bit too specific to leave unspoilered in this new thread.

But trying to play it like Bloodborne isn't as feasible, because switching to light weight, shieldless builds doesn't change that much. DS2 gave further extra roll distance continuously for being lighter, and at a greater exchange rate, and rewarded you with better stamina regeneration. The jump from just below the fat roll to 0% is only about 15% extra distance, and no benefit to stamina (as far as people can tell at the moment).

Armor reduction is also kind of fucked, so medium/light armor only gives like an extra 10~15% damage reduction over heavy armor builds.

Shieldless builds feel mostly the same as slightly-heavier shield builds, but are worse.

There are iframes, they're just not tied to any stat - like it has been in every other Soulsborne game but 2.

It's entirely possible i-frame still differ slightly with weight or roll type, but hasn't been mapped out and tested yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom