• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will sword and board on my first run, probably focusing on STR. Because of that I am leaning toward starting as a Warrior. I heard their starting shield isn't 100% physical resistance though. Anyone know how far into the game you can find a better shield ?

Drewfonse

AAAAAAAAND....my mom arrives for 9 days on Tuesday. Sometimes she asks me what I'm currently playing.

Oh, what am I playing, bitch? Do you mean what the fuck WOULD I be playing if your old Arab ass hadn't descended on my house for a week? Is that what you're fucking asking me, because it sure fucking sounded like it.

#Ilovemymom

Robiin

Viable? definetly, but it will also depend if you use a shield or not, no shield is harder, because enemies are really nasty this time around. I particularly embraced the challenge, it gets easier the further you go into the game.

There's a
Katana (Uchi)
in the very tutorial area, but it could be....harder, let's say, to get it lol

Classes? I think Assassin, Mercenary and Thief have higher DEX than other classes.
I loved the
uchi
in DS1, so hopefully I'll find it! I always played Dark Souls 1 and 2 with shields except for my magic/faith+dex builds, so I'll probably do it here too. Bloodborne I was fine with no shield, but that's because it was expected.

Neoweee

Who's #TeamDeprived with me?

Depriveds are actually in a good place in this, because their stat distribution is good and pretty high (one short of 100% Resist Shields and more than high enough to use a bunch of pretty good weapons), and...
the starting vendor actually sells spells.
. Maybe the tutorial boss, sure, but after that super.

Kaname

min maxing is overrated, two or three level savings aren't going to make a big difference in a level 150 pvp fight. Choosing another class however deprives (heh) you of the true Dark Souls first playthrough experience.

The game also has a Soul Vessel from what I understand, so it's the best class if you want to try multiple builds on one character.

Basically true Souls masochism. I like it lol

Neoweee

I will sword and board on my first run, probably focusing on STR. Because of that I am leaning toward starting as a Warrior. I heard their starting shield isn't 100% physical resistance though. Anyone know how far into the game you can find a better shield ?

I went warrior on the JP version. Actually a very, very good starting class, because it gels with the first priority of
getting your Vigor (Max HP stat) up to 25

Depends which starting class you pick. For example the knight starts with a 100% physical resistance shield.
You do find a 100% physical resistance shield in the High walls of Lothric in a chest.

anybody got a crash course in 'things i wish i knew on my first playthru'? such as, i hear the HP stat is insanely valuable up to the mid 20's, the scaling is ridic compared to everything else. what are some (idgaf about spoilers) 'don't do this or you'll never be able to meet this npc/get this item/etc' tips?

anybody? like in DS1 knowing about shit like the rusted iron ring first playthrough sucked

Depriveds are actually in a good place in this, because their stat distribution is good and pretty high (one short of 100% Resist Shields and more than high enough to use a bunch of pretty good weapons), and...
the starting vendor actually sells spells.
. Maybe the tutorial boss, sure, but after that super.

my first char i will use deprived and bump up stats to no end. no point in limiting my first char to a certain level i'll do that with my later ones

Nice thread. Sword and board for me, so I'm rolling a warrior. Anyone got any stat tips from the import thread?

First, if you're planning sword and board, I was highly recommend Knight. He's got a 100% physical resistance shield, hes got enough Vitality you can wear good stuff whole game, and he's got a well-balanced sword you can pretty much use the entire game.

Put everything into Vigor early on. Strength scaling with your D weapons aint gonna do much early on, especially if your health is so ass you die all the time. Once you improve the scaling the strength will help

Unless you plan on equipping heavy shit, wouldn't really bother with Vitality. Knight starts with enough Vitality to comfortably wear enough shit for most of the game. As long as your equip load is below 70%, your roll speed/distance is good.

Endurance(Stamina) is pretty important too. It determines everything you do: blocking, attacking, dodging, running, etc. You wanna upgrade that shit along with Vigor and Strength for the duration of the game.

Anung

Un Rama
Oh lawd I'm loving the Nexus-style feel of the hub in this game. Music is just too good as well.

I can't wait to get a greatsword for my Guts build.

Are you more of the "serious" character while creating one or more about "hilariously funny"?

i always make at least one saveslot in my souls games for a green ogre that hurls the large/giant club with just a waistcloth on for invading/trolling

prepare 2 get shrekt

bbd23

theres still no in game option to avoid the multiplayer stuff right?

still going to have to disable my internet for a second?

Neoweee

anybody got a crash course in 'things i wish i knew on my first playthru'? such as, i hear the HP stat is insanely valuable up to the mid 20's, the scaling is ridic compared to everything else. what are some (idgaf about spoilers) 'don't do this or you'll never be able to meet this npc/get this item/etc' tips?

One of the game's biggest strengths, IMO, is that it is relatively straightforward, linear, and is much better with NPCs and NPCs giving you meaningful assistance. Don't worry about specific quests and covenants, you'll miss a ton and that's how the game is designed.

If you've played previous Souls games, you'll be good. The basics will get you through the game.

FYI, on Rolling and Weight

ONE GIANT THING:
Heavy Armor blows due to the soft caps on damage reduction %, which the game now shows you.

RELATED THING, REGARDING ROLLING:
Weight matters wildly less than before. The cutoffs are 70% and 30% it looks like, each is only like a 15-20% boost to roll distance. No idea on i-frames yet.

Another stat note:
Endurance eventually hits increasing marginal return, so going nuts on it works fine.

aravuus

Are you more about the "serious" character while creating one or more about "hilariously funny"?

I don't really care about my character's appearance one way or the other, so I just roll with whatever the default look is, at least on the first playthrough. Later playthroughs I might mix things up a bit.

So... Mostly serious, I guess?

aravuus

Respect

Thanks for the OT Yoshi, nice work...less than 2 days...much excitement!

2356.gif

But I don't like getting invaded. :(

But that's the best part...i actually prefer being invaded to invading.

Sanctuary

AAAAAAAAND....my mom arrives for 9 days on Tuesday. Sometimes she asks me what I'm currently playing.

Oh, what am I playing, bitch? Do you mean what the fuck WOULD I be playing if your old Arab ass hadn't descended on my house for a week? Is that what you're fucking asking me, because it sure fucking sounded like it.

#Ilovemymom

The sacrifices we make for family.

because I dont care about it

I'm mostly "I don't care" all that much too, especially PvP (although it can be fun at times). I also typically just rely on NPC summons if I ever need a summons at all simply because of how reliable they typically are, and they aren't going to risk lagging or disconnecting entirely. Other than that though, I like reading player notes.

aravuus

I wonder how miracles are in this game. Either I'll do that build, or do a pyromancy build

Miracles are not good. Pyromancy is better, but maybe still not perfectly viable? Not sure, I've seen lots of conflicting reports on that.

Either way, if you're gonna pick between those two, go pyro.

Vire

Thanks for the OT Yoshi, nice work...less than 2 days...much excitement!

2356.gif

But that's the best part...i actually prefer being invaded to invading.

I love being invaded. The rush of adrenaline and fear of being killed is addicting to me. Lol

Oh what's that, you spent the last 45 minutes getting 100,000 souls. Not anymore lolz.

Probably is going to be worse this time around with ganking too since a good number of people are already high level.

GulAtiCa

Miracles are not good. Pyromancy is better, but maybe still not perfectly viable? Not sure, I've seen lots of conflicting reports on that.

Cool! I remember miracles being King and pyromancy being harder in DkS2 due to many enemies being more resistance to it in general. Be interesting to have it kinda reversed.

Thanks for the tip. Pyromancy it is!

Yogg

Nice OT, thanks Yoshichan, but I can't read the starting classes names (yellow on white, and can't highlight).

2 days to go!

Sanctuary

Anyone else need this game inside them asap?

No. I love playing video games, but I don't want to make love to them.

There are people who don't use dark theme?!

I didn't even realize it was an option for maybe the first 2-3 weeks being on this forum. OMFG after that.

Offensive miracles are weak but heal and regeneration kept me alive and stocked with Estus so much in my first playthrough

I see that a lot actually, across all Souls games as a good reason to put points into FTH. I have to question how valuable that really is though (especially in the previous game) over simply putting those same points into damage stats, or stats that allow better gear to be used, upping your survivability similarly. It's one thing to use healing spells if you were already going to be dumping points for buffs, but otherwise?

Offensive miracles are weak but heal and regeneration kept me alive and stocked with Estus so much in my first playthrough

Finalow

enjoy the game, it's great.
y'all are 3 weeks late ayy

most boring thread title right here? Literally shaking my head irl. should have been ''definitely better than the prequel'' to follow the the Dark Souls OT title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom