• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peeking through slits in the fingers to avoid spoilers and post this and say how psyched I am this is hitting PC day and date. I'm even taking a day off of work for a game for the first time in years for this release.

I've purchased a PS3 for Demon's Souls which also brought me Dark Souls for the first time. I got a PS4 for and with Bloodborne. Never looked back and have always been grateful for the fantastic worlds built and enjoyed; even with a lower frame rate than I would like... I revisited what I could on the PC (Durante be praised) but the PC has always been a little later to the party, even though it eventually always ran it more consistently and better.

Getting this day one (ignoring the shenanigans mostly, heh) on my PC with 60FPS and the options to keep it that way? Praising Intensifies.

"Let strength be granted so the world might be mended..."

Let's Do This!

Brohan

I usually go with a STR+FTH build in Souls game, playing as a Paladin with a claymore but it seems dexterity might mess up my plans this time as it has an effect on the casting speed.

This has me pretty bummed.. Usually i don't raise dex higher than the requirements of the two handed str weapon i want to play with.

jaaz

Thinking of going against the grain and rolling full magic with a sorcerer. I know there are currently problems with magic, but I understand that it affects hybrid magic builds more, like an Academy Assassin build, not full magic builds where I will be putting a ton of points into Int. Those that played it, is this accurate?

joanot

Sorry if this quedtion have been asked already ( not lurking the ot untill I finish the game ) Does the game have mandatory install ?

Brohan

Thinking of going against the grain and rolling full magic with a sorcerer. I know there are currently problems with magic, but I understand that it affects hybrid magic builds more, like an Academy Assassin build, not full magic builds where I will be putting a ton of points into Int. Those that played it, is this accurate?

Sry i have mostly kept myself in the dark but what problems with magic? Besides casting speed being tied to dex.

aravuus

I don't think so. Pretty sure sorceries aren't viable before your level is so high, you might as well have finished the game.

Sry i have mostly kept myself in the dark but what problems with magic? Besides casting speed being tied to dex.

Basically, they're weak as fuck. Use up FP too fast, too slow to cast against the new, more aggressive and faster enemies and they simply don't deal enough damage.

Pyromancies are a bit better off than sorceries and miracles, but still kinda weak.

Seems like from what I read that a knight might be a good balanced class. I'd love to try assassin but let's be honest I always end up sucking at a dex based class. Would rather make a speedy/dodging strength based knight.

You are going to struggle through the first half of the game. It affects hybrid builds because they don't have enough stats (50+) into intelligence. The thing is, you aren't going to actually get enough stats to make intelligence good until at least 50% of the way into the game.

If you are intent on doing a magic build, put your early points into stuff that helps you survive (vigor), and level up your strength and dexterity to the point that you can equip a halfway decent weapon. Then either make it raw or use one of the infusions that don't scale on it, and you'll want to use that weapon (and not sorcery) through the first half of the game. Later on, when you can stick 50 points into intelligence, respec that way. You are still going to struggle though. Cast times are so long that most of the end game bosses will wreck you.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Midnight release at my GameStop tomorrow boiz 😰

I'm finally finishing the Bloodborne DLC right before DS3.

Fuck the giant shark guys so hard. Christ.

Throughout all of the Soulsborne universe, I can't think of a more difficult/annoying non-boss enemy.

There was a point where I lost it and just started running past them

Fuck me, I think I just got robbed of my day off this Tuesday. One of my co-workers just took a sick-leave, chickenpox, he says, that motherfucker has got to be laughing his way to the release day and has the entire week to play it.

Not really, but I still got fucked, 95% sure, may the planets align for my sake.

Brohan

Basically, they're weak as fuck. Use up FP too fast, too slow to cast against the new, more aggressive and faster enemies and they simply don't deal enough damage.

Pyromancies are a bit better off than sorceries and miracles, but still kinda weak.

Damn... That's really a shame. How about FTH scaling on weapons?

The way i usually play is STR+FTH focused build with a Holy claymore and that's where most of my dmg would come from as id use the spell slots mostly for healing miracles instead of damage dealing ones.

Hypron

Seems like from what I read that a knight might be a good balanced class. I'd love to try assassin but let's be honest I always end up sucking at a dex based class. Would rather make a speedy/dodging strength based knight.

I'd say playing an assassin (ie playing with a dagger) is actually more viable than in other game in the series. Mainly due to (not really a spoiler but you never know)
bosses that do not tend to have huge resistances
, which makes weapon with low single-hit damage more useful. You also get that sweet as quickstep.

d00d3n

So excited for this, starting with a quality build as always.

Quality builds are gimped compared with STR builds. Although, DEX points will give you a speedup for the worthless spells and decreased falling damage, so there is always that.

epmode

Throughout all of the Soulsborne universe, I can't think of a more difficult/annoying non-boss enemy.

There was a point where I lost it and just started running past them

I'm in the well. Gotta kill one for a weapon. I want to die IRL.

edit: GOT EM. KSHRIFUF8ERIRUECIK3KW0DP

I'd say playing an assassin (ie playing with a dagger) is actually more viable than in other game in the series. Mainly due to (not really a spoiler but you never know)
bosses that do not tend to have huge resistances
, which makes weapon with low single-hit damage more useful. You also get that sweet as quickstep.

oof man. damn you. I hear that a good combo might be rapiers/counter weapons and daggers. Might have to try it now god dammit lol

McBryBry

I'm in the well. Gotta kill one for a weapon. I want to die IRL.
I cheesed them. Arrows from a ledge. Got sick of it.

Including the ones above ground, their tracking was what screwed me. I couldn't get out of an attack's range to save my life lol

Not sure, but I think I might trade my Vita today or tomorrow to pick this up. Can get at least $80 for it and I only paid $40 for it.

Don't trade it. I was able to sell mine for $200.

aravuus

Damn... That's really a shame. How about FTH scaling on weapons?

The way i usually play is STR+FTH focused build with a Holy claymore and that's where most of my dmg would come from as id use the spell slots mostly for healing miracles instead of damage dealing ones.

Honestly, I have no idea. I've never gone for FTH scaling myself in the earlier games or in Dark Souls 3, so I couldn't say. There are gems that add FTH scaling, along with some other possible effects, so I don't see why FTH scaled weapons would be particularly worse than they've been before.

Hypron

Quality builds are gimped compared with STR builds. Although, DEX points will give you a speedup for the worthless spells and decreased falling damage, so there is always that.

If you want the optimal pvp build at a fixed level then yeah, but quality buils are always super useful in PVE because they greatly increase the range of viable weapons. They also make bows and
kukris
do good damage.

It's disappointing that Strength builds are almost always ridiculously imbalanced. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything different this time around.

Brohan

Honestly, I have no idea. I've never gone for FTH scaling myself in the earlier games or in Dark Souls 3, so I couldn't say. There are gems that add FTH scaling, along with some other possible effects, so I don't see why FTH scaled weapons would be particularly worse than they've been before.

Ok thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

I think I'm just going to make a Paladin like i planned and hope things get patched quickly enough.

Arjen

Mmm. Not planning on using any magic. I like going 40/40 to try out as much as weapons as possible.

It's disappointing that Strength builds are almost always ridiculously imbalanced. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything different this time around.

unless you mean str is underpowered, i dont get what you mean? Greatswords pretty much suck for PVE, game is too fast for them to be viable

epmode

Oh god.

I finished the DLC without even getting my Rakuyo lol. I almost feel like going back and getting (attempting...) revenge to pass time until DS3

Finally did it. I guess I'll write how it happened!

Use 2 visceral attacks on the anchor one (bait a dive/slide, it's easy to parry. He will only dive every *other* attack at most). After the second attack, he'll get up and walk away as the second shark falls from the ceiling. You can get a few attacks in, then dodge the second shark since he'll be charging. Walk around the pillar and try to get the anchor shark since he'll be very low on life.

Once the second shark is alone, it's far easier. Learn his attacks and dodge away.

E92 M3

I am loving a DEX build fast and furious. Dark Souls isn't about min/maxing (to succeed). Everything can be successful in the right hands. The most important thing is you like the moveset of the weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom