• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anyone noticed a discernible difference in difficulty between the Japanese release and the English release? I'm asking for a friend of mine and I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread.

He said he failed miserably about a dozen times on the first boss but then rented the English version (I'm guessing to be able to read things easier) and beat the same boss with ease. First try. Both versions are PS4. I asked if he was using the same class and he said yes. I told him that maybe he just got good but he mentioned that the boss appeared less aggressive and seemed to do less damage to him.

Coincidence?

Onemic

later game mild item spoiler
chas gems give fire damage with int scaling

Just making sure, is putting points into dex or strength even worth it past getting the requirements for a weapon? Im pretty much going to be using katana's the entire way through. Build is a warrior-mage hybrid(pyro/miracles specifically)

Is this supposed to be the hardest souls game, i dont recall having this much trouble with ds2 or bloodborne. Didnt play much of 1 or demons

Soulflarz

Banned
I just fought through all of
Cathedral of the Deep
to a bonfire in
Cleansing Chapel
in a life
No deaths
No flasks

No idea where I am
I missed a ton of things
I just kept fighting and fighting

How am I alive even

WELL
edit: I found the correct entrance

I fought all the way around and to the shortcut back to the
cleansing chapel
-- as in, I fought through the entire dungeon, missing the bonfire in the first place

how

Just making sure, is putting points into dex or strength even worth it past getting the requirements for a weapon? Im pretty much going to be using katana's the entire way through. Build is a warrior-mage hybrid(pyro/miracles specifically)

you are going to want to pump int/faith to see results with that kind of build. Putting too much into dex or str will turn you into a gimped melee build with weak casting. So ya I would limit it to weapon requirements. If you have decent int and faith later you can infuse with chaos or lightning and get nice scaling that way.

Question about a weapon I found in the High Wall area(minor spoiler maybe): I found the
Deep Battle Axe
from the
Mimic.
It seems super awesome, at least early game and does a bunch of extra
Dark Damage.

But it has no scaling on any of my stats. How does that work? Can I upgrade it or use some kind of item to turn on scaling or something like that? I never used magic infused weapons in a Souls game before.

Onemic

you are going to want to pump int/faith to see results with that kind of build. Putting too much into dex or str will turn you into a gimped melee build with weak casting. So ya I would limit it to weapon requirements. If you have decent int and faith later you can infuse with chaos or lightning and get nice scaling that way.

Ah, thanks. So does raising dex not decrease casting time like I've been hearing?

Question about a weapon I found in the High Wall area(minor spoiler maybe): I found the
Deep Battle Axe
from the
Mimic.
Dark Damage.

But it has no scaling on any of my stats. How does that work? Can I upgrade it or use some kind of item to turn on scaling or something like that? I never used magic infused weapons in a Souls game before.

That is a solid choice for anyone who does not choose a fire gem for their gift. You can reinforce it and get more damage out of it but it will always have no scaling as a "Deep" weapon.

Bronion

Deep Battle Axe
from the
Mimic.
Dark Damage.

Some types of infusions sacrifice scaling for extra flat damage - usually elemental. You can still upgrade it, but its scaling is gone.

Dr. Buni

That second boss was soooo good. I loved some of the bosses in DS2, but so far DS3 is on an entirely different level. I hope there are a lot of bosses, but quality > quantity, obviously. Btw, who makes the boss soul weapons in this game? I want the second boss's weapon asap.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Literally just picked it up. It's
on a cliff somewhere in the middle of the swamp.

wait,
swamp
as in
Road of Sacrifices area
? because thats where I am :eek:

or is there another
swamp
area?

vilmer_

It looks like the Japanese version and NA version share trophies, even though there are two instances of the game on my dashboard.

Anyone know how much points you want in luck for decent drop rates? Rolled Knight but thinking of dropping a few points in it. Also regarding an NPC
(donut Knight from ds1)
Does the item he gives you after
fighting the big flame guy
have any special use? I used it without thinking. Also does the quest continue? I followed the area through to
the dropping section on the roof
but didn't have health to follow it through and had to homeward bone my way out.

Truant

For some reason the knight right after the first dragon encounter early on has killed me twice in a row. I just beat the Amygdala in Bloodborne, goddamnit!

cyba89

Damn, just when I complained the first few bosses are a bit on the easy side the game throws the A
byss Watchers
at you.
Got to the second phase with the fire sword guy once but he totally kicked my ass.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I have to say, so far I'm kind of disappointed in the game.

There is WAY too much fast travel use needed, and the lack of a central firelink shrine really sucks. I hate having to go back to that dark, boring shrine. The layout of it is confusing.

And why after 2 games did they just decide to rename/change human effigy? I hate little things like that.

It feels like there is no continuity in this series anymore.

UberLevi

wait,
swamp
as in
Road of Sacrifices area
? because thats where I am :eek:

or is there another
swamp
area?

Yep, that's the place.
Wish I could be more specific, but I know I picked up a Greatsword somewhere amidst the poison gunk on an elevated surface. Like a hill or something that was kind of isolated. So keep an eye out for a ridge with loot resting atop it, you should find it eventually.

Audioboxer

Vordt

yeah it's super quick

Ah okay that's 1st boss really :p But yeah I done it there as well. The boss I'm talking about is next and causing a fair bit of trouble for hosts.

Summons are even quicker than first. Literally a second or two every time.

Ascenion

Just got done starting Ratchet and Clank. So now I'm starting this. Gonna play for a bit before I start writing my term paper. Hot damn this menu music is on a whole nother fucking level.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone explain the upgrade system to me?

I started off with a fire gem because I thought, hey, cool, I can get a fire weapon early on. But I'm reading online that it lessens base damage of the weapon. Is it still worth it then?

Also, should I bother to do an upgrade for my straight sword? Because I am going to be moving on to the first great/ultra great sword I find. Is that super far off, or am I going to be sticking with the Straight and True for a while?

Also, how far off is the Cathedral Knight area in particular?

Venfayth

Could someone reasonably far through the game please tell me what I need to do next?

I just beat the Deacons of the Dead and got the Small Doll, but I have no idea where to take it. I've spent an hour backtracking and running around but no good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just fought through all of
Cathedral of the Deep
to a bonfire in
Cleansing Chapel
in a life
No deaths
No flasks

No idea where I am
I missed a ton of things
I just kept fighting and fighting

How am I alive even

This is Dark Souls III, all the time. You somehow end up somewhere and all you can think is 'man, I missed a lot of stuff, but somehow I made it here'. The areas are so complex and large that you get used to it. I tried to remember paths I didn't take as much as possible.

J-Skee

I think I already know the answer, but to get the Platinum trophy, do I have to do at least three playthroughs of the game or is it like Bloodborne where I could backup a save to achieve it?

Soulflarz

Banned
This is Dark Souls III, all the time. You somehow end up somewhere and all you can think is 'man, I missed a lot of stuff, but somehow I made it here'. The areas are so complex and large that you get used to it. I tried to remember paths I didn't take as much as possible.

Didn't miss anything besides one route

but yes, I'm very methodical, I make sure I check everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom