• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long till unlock, it better not really be a whole day 1hr from now.

t1460412000z0.png

Steam release time

How greatly does infusing a weapon to scale with faith and intelligence (either fire or dark) reduce the base damage? If I go with a pyromancy build with a dark infused weapon, will I be using the weapon a good amount of the time? Or will it basically just be a "get off me" attack option, and too weak to use the weapon primarily?

I still can't quite decide to go with a dex build or a pyro build. Ideally, I want a build that will allow me to primarily use dex weapons (mostly the scythe, but the other dex weapons intrigue me too), and use magic no more than I use physical attacks.

Also, how early into the game can you respec? The best option might be to do a part of the game as a pure dex build then respec to a dex build.

unless you mean str is underpowered, i dont get what you mean? Greatswords pretty much suck for PVE, game is too fast for them to be viable

Are you talking about DS3 or Souls I'm general because I have always used Greatswords. You have to adjust your playstyle and know timings, but they work well.

d00d3n

I have to say, it really sucks that they haven't started the online servers for non-JP xbone yet. Are they really still working on setting it up, or DO THEY WANT TO SPITE US? I have been waiting for weeks to gang up in coop and get revenge on P
rince Lothric

Aren't katanas the best PvP weapons by a large margin this time around then?
I have no idea. I don't even know what weapons to expect!

EDIT: So I'm starting to think I may have accidentally stumbled into the import/early release thread instead. Oops. Definitely ducking out for now.

Are you talking about DS3 or Souls I'm general because I have always used Greatswords. You have to adjust your playstyle and know timings, but they work well.

DS3, no matter your timings, you have less safe windows and less damage output on bosses than you would have with a dex weapon.

zXe

Ok I honestly was 100% certain the release was 11th...but in fact I muddled up with my term start for Uni... both dark souls 3 and university are significant dates but I confused them. Fml.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Less than 24h. I'm feeling it.

Persona7

Banned
ready to invade as soon as it unlocks on steam.

After that, more invasions on the PS4 version when I get it tuesday morning.

Angelcurio

Can someone explain how does the coop works (and add it to the OP FAQ)?

So far we have seen the series evolve like this:

- Completely random and level tied like DeS /DS
- Tied to soul memory or something like that (DSII)
- Can setup passwords and levels are adjusted automatically (Bloodborne).

Thanks in advance.

aravuus

Can someone explain how does the coop works (and add it to the OP FAQ)?

So far we have seen the series evolve like this:

- Completely random and level tied like DeS /DS
- Tied to soul memory or something like that (DSII)
- Can setup passwords and levels are adjusted automatically (Bloodborne).

Thanks in advance.

Mix between DkS1 and BB. Has BB's password system with no level ranges, so I assume there's some sort of scaling going on.

No Soul Memory, regular coop/pvp takes two things into account: soul level, like in 1, and weapon's level. We don't know how much weapon's level matters, though.

NG28

Not that it makes all that much of a difference, but is Deprived the best starting class as far as total points? (I don't recall it starting at lvl 1 in previous games)

aravuus

Not that it makes all that much of a difference, but is Deprived the best starting class as far as total points? (I don't recall it starting at lvl 1 in previous games)

If you have a very specific build in mind, possibly? Otherwise, I think it's probably wiser to pick a class that has high points in whatever you're going to be investing in (warrior for STR builds etc etc)

Hypron

By that token.....UGS are the OP, not STR?

Slapping a gem on a weapon dosn't make the stat OP, means the weapon is OP?

(not that UGS are OP, only one was and is nerfed)

Yeah, UGSs are slow and have a huge stamina cost. I for one prefer smaller and faster weapons. You lose out on single-hit damage a bit but going from swinging your sword 3 times and swinging it like 10 times before running out of stamina is a huge difference.

Neoweee

If you have a very specific build in mind, possibly? Otherwise, I think it's probably wiser to pick a class that has high points in whatever you're going to be investing in (warrior for STR builds etc etc)

For the vast majority of builds, points in Faith, Int, and Luck are wasted, and those in Focus are of extremely limited use.

Cathcart

Lucky me, my PS4 broke down just in time for DS3. It's in the mail on the way to Sony now but it will probably be another week or two before I get it back. My Windows machine is actually a late 2013 iMac running bootcamp, 3.5GHz core i7 with a GTX 780M and 24 gigs of memory. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to play on the mac or just wait.

I like the DS games but I'm not a fanatic about it, so if the PS4 version is going to be a better situation than bootcamp I guess I'll wait. Anyone have any idea?

Yeah, UGSs are slow and have a huge stamina cost. I for one prefer smaller and faster weapons. You lose out on single-hit damage a bit but going from swinging your sword 3 times and swinging it like 10 times before running out of stamina is a huge difference.

Dex weapons also lose out on stagger power, generally. Can't continually flatten an NPC enemy into the ground with a scimitar.

General rule of thumb for me in Soulsborne games is strength weapons excel against regular enemies since you can often stunlock them, and dexterity weapons are a bit better for bosses since they have higher DPS and staggering usually isn't usually a factor in those fights.

Santiako

Lucky me, my PS4 broke down just in time for DS3. It's in the mail on the way to Sony now but it will probably be another week or two before I get it back. My Windows machine is actually a late 2013 iMac running bootcamp, 3.5GHz core i7 with a GTX 780M and 24 gigs of memory. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to play on the mac or just wait.

I like the DS games but I'm not a fanatic about it, so if the PS4 version is going to be a better situation than bootcamp I guess I'll wait. Anyone have any idea?

You can buy it on Steam, try it to see how it runs and if it doesn't run well enough you can get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom