• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

General rule of thumb for me in Soulsborne games is strength weapons excel against regular enemies since you can often stunlock them, and dexterity weapons are a bit better for bosses since they have higher DPS and staggering usually isn't usually a factor in those fights.

This doesn't necessarily seem to be the case with 3, though. I played a couple of areas with the claymore, and the vast majority of enemies seemed to recover after the second hit from my sword and managed to squeeze in a counter-attack before my third swing would have landed.

This doesn't necessarily seem to be the case with 3, though. I played a couple of areas with the claymore, and the vast majority of enemies seemed to recover after the second hit from my sword and managed to squeeze in a counter-attack before my third swing would have landed.

Good point, and it might depend on the weapon. I was thinking of weapons from past games like the Zweihander and transformed Kirkhammer that could stunlock basically everything, but at the trade off of DPS. Haven't played DS3 but it would be interesting if they switch it up.

Hmmmm

I wonder why Assassin class has magic. I want to play a parrying, backstabbing guy with some spells/skills to aid me in stealth. I wonder if you can choose the class and go towards more physical damage over magic and not hurt yourself by choosing the class to begin with. Tough choices god damn, still not sure if Assassin or a fast str build.

Hypron

Dex weapons also lose out on stagger power, generally. Can't continually flatten an NPC enemy into the ground with a scimitar.

General rule of thumb for me in Soulsborne games is strength weapons excel against regular enemies since you can often stunlock them, and dexterity weapons are a bit better for bosses since they have higher DPS and staggering usually isn't usually a factor in those fights.

The claymore is a hybrid dex/strength weapon has been my go-to weapon for the past three games. It's quite fast, has a fairly low stamina cost and has very good stun-locking power (you can stunlock
knights
in DaSIII which is great because of how annoying they can be).

The claymore isn't really a strength weapon, it's got almost the same scaling for both dex and strength. The pure strength weapons like the UGSs or greataxes tend to be slower and have bigger stamina costs.

And yeah the stunlock really depends on the enemy. The claymore seems like the best weapon for those
shield wearing knights
imo.

Some enemies don't even stagger with the FUGS which sucks because the swing and stamina cost on that thing is quite high. Most enemies still do stun lock however

Unai

Hmmmm

I wonder why Assassin class has magic. I want to play a parrying, backstabbing guy with some spells/skills to aid me in stealth. I wonder if you can choose the class and go towards more physical damage over magic and not hurt yourself by choosing the class to begin with. Tough choices god damn, still not sure if Assassin or a fast str build.

I have the felling that Assassin is meant exactly to do that. Main damage will be physical but with some auxiliary spells here and there. I think my first run will be with it.

I also want to see how are the katanas in this game. The uchi was my main weapon in DKS1.

Zocano

Yah I dunno what game you guys played, the greatsword (THE UGS ONE) wrecked all kinds of shit in my first playthrough. Staggering bosses fairly often also helped.

I mean the whole play style is you only need to (and should) attack once. There's no spamming that shit. Also the damage is stupid high and I can buff it if need be. Had an easy time all around with any of the UGSs.

I have the felling that's Assassin is meant exactly to that. Main damage will be physical but with some auxlia spells here and there. I think it my first run will be with it.

I also want to see how are the katanas in this game. The uchi was my main weapon in DKS1.

yeah katanas seem to be like a good way to go for dex, with maybe something that's good for parrying which I'd have to find out what has good parrying animation.

Tsosie

So, I am sure this has been asked, but I did not see it anywhere.

I loved Bloodborne. I thought it was fantastic, but that was my first time with a From game. Quickly after I finished Bloodborne I picked up the remaster of DS2, I think I had put like 4 hours in before I put it down. It was not that I did not like it, it was just that it was not Bloodborne (at a time when all I really wanted was a Bloodborne expansion). Do you think DS3 will be a game I may enjoy?

aravuus

The claymore isn't really a strength weapon, it's got almost the same scaling for both dex and strength. The pure strength weapons like the UGSs or greataxes tend to be slower and have bigger stamina costs.

Good point. I switched to the butcher's knife from claymore and never looked back.

It never staggered nobody, but still a great weapon.

Yah I dunno what game you guys played, the greatsword (THE UGS ONE) wrecked all kinds of shit in my first playthrough. Staggering bosses fairly often also helped.

I mean the whole play style is you only need to (and should) attack once. There's no spamming that shit. Also the damage is stupid high and I can buff it if need be. Had an easy time all around with any of the UGSs.

It does make for a powerful playstyle, especially when you combine the roll stab. Just dodge,stab and get out again. Makes it surprisingly nimble.

DSIII enemies just hit super hard late game and can punish you heavily for miscalculated timing

I loved Bloodborne. I thought it was fantastic, but that was my first time with a From game. Quickly after I finished Bloodborne I picked up the remaster of DS2, I think I had put like 4 hours in before I put it down. It was not that I did not like it, it was just that it was not Bloodborne (at a time when all I really wanted was a Bloodborne expansion). Do you think DS3 will be a game I may enjoy?

Depends what exactly you didn't like. If you like the speed and aggressive combat style of BB I'd say you might not like this. DS games are more about timing and are usually slower for most playstyles. All about patience where as BB rewards you for going back in after getting hit.

The DS games have far more depth though I think in regards to gear and builds

Zocano

DSIII enemies just hit super hard late game and can punish you heavily for miscalculated timing

gittin' gud is my motto, so, it wasn't much of a problem. I kept my VIG/END/VIT stats low the whole playthrough (kept them all at 20, no higher) and dumped everything else into STR.

Moonkid

Got class until midafternoon tomorrow but I'd rather play the game when I'm on top of school work. Just one day more...

purg3

slept with Malkin

Did you ever go back and play DS1, game is very similar in feel. It's a bit faster than DS2, but if you didn't care for that game, I'm not sure how much you will love this one. It's certainly the best in the series though.

I'm the guy who just upgrades the default long sword the whole game

Long swords in DS3 are crazy good. Crazy good. I dropped my GS midway through the game and finished using this long sword class of weapons.

Hypron

That's why I prefer smaller weapons. I don't have to commit to a slow move that'll take up a huge chunk of my stamina. And I'll still do like 75% of the single-hit damage, while being able to sometimes land 2 hits when you would only be able to land 1 with an UGS.

gittin' gud is my motto, so, it wasn't much of a problem. I kept my VIG/END/VIT stats low the whole playthrough (kept them all at 20, no higher) and dumped everything else into STR.

That's where we part ways then it seems haha. I'm still not quite at the "dodge everything" method. Though I am at the final boss now but getting rekt

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I didn't enjoy 2 and BB is a different enough game that to me, it feels like this is the first time I'm returning to the DS world in something like 3 years.

Cannot. Wait.

Any weapon is good, i'm simply talking about high levels of play such as a no damage run the UGS are worse for bosses.

Tsosie

Did you ever go back and play DS1, game is very similar in feel. It's a bit faster than DS2, but if you didn't care for that game, I'm not sure how much you will love this one. It's certainly the best in the series though.

No I did not, I do not have any of my old systems. My worry is all I want is more Bloodborne, but the videos I have seen look interesting.

aravuus

The small/medium high stability 100 phys reduction shields made many smaller enemies a LOT easier, at least during the first half.

Going to do a somewhat shield-less 2H katana/DEX run at first.

I'm a bit scared tbh.

Hypron

The small/medium high stability 100 phys reduction shields made many smaller enemies a LOT easier, at least during the first half.

I'm a bit scared tbh.

If you've already played through the game before you'll be fine I'm sure :)

A lot of weapons wrecks shit, not only UGS and not only STR weapons.

The only thing I'd say are really OP on PvE is Shields, medium shields. They give a lot of stability and 100% damage reduction, with negible stat investment, no need for STR.

masterkajo

Question for someone who already played the game or knows about this. Is there something like a Dark Hand from DS1 in DS3? A simple Yes or No suffices. Please spoiler tag or PM in case someone doesn't want to know.

Just asking because I really loved my DS1 Pyro build with a pyromancy flame in the right hand and a dark hand in the left. Looked awesome.

E92 M3

I'm the guy who just upgrades the default long sword the whole game

In Dark Souls, anything can be good :)

I'm a bit scared tbh.

Nothing to be scared about. It was my first run - and a lot of fun too!

Anung

Un Rama
Man, I'm just throwing myself at this one boss again and again and I just can't seem to make any headway. I've tried looking for an alternate path so I can do some other bosses but can't find any.

Zocano

A lot of weapons wrecks shit, not only UGS and not only STR weapons.

The only thing I'd say are really OP on PvE is Shields, medium shields. They give a lot of stability and 100% damage reduction, with negible stat investment, no need for STR.

I mean I'm not trying to say UGS weapons are OP, more that I think calling them inferior to dex-focused weapons is hilarious in a PvE environment.

The Long sword is just a really versatile weapon. Good range, good speed, good stamina usage, can be played 1h with shield or 2H for dodging-and-max damage. Can go either Str or Dex. Never a bad time to be using it.

Then you get a shield with 100% physical defense early on, and the Elite Knight armor can be acquired early, and you dont have to worry about wasting materials on upgrading armor so I can just focus on Vit/End/Str and upgrading that sword/shield the whole game. Thats all I need, b. Im not somebody who plays these games multiple times, doing magic builds and PvP and exploring the lore and shit. Just give me what works.

E92 M3

What weapon(s) did you use? The Uchigatana?

Yes, first thing I did was kill
the crazy warrior next to Firelink (didn't know he dropped a Katana, but that was a pleasant surprise)
I'm sure there's people who can prove me wrong but trying out claws in the first two DS games was struggle city for yours truly.

Yeah, it's just something you need to work into your playstyle. People beat these games using only shields, fists, knives - you name it lol.

That's why I love this franchise.

I'm sure there's people who can prove me wrong but trying out claws in the first two DS games was struggle city for yours truly.

I'd be willing to give the DS3 Caetus a shot. Seems they auto duel-wield when two-handed, so hopefully they're balanced around that and pretty strong.

I also want to try the whip. And that great machete. And the scythe...actually, damn near every weapon looks pretty good to me. Definitely haven't felt that way about a previous Souls game.

Jedi2016

I'm probably going to go longsword for most of it (or any decent straight sword with good speed).

With equal scaling for both STR and DEX, that means regardless of where I put a point, damage goes up the same, right? I'm thinking of going with a Mostly-Strength build, probably one point in Dex for every two or three points in Strength, or something like that.

I'm probably going to stay away from UGS for the most part, just because of how damn slow they are. The biggest I might go is something like the claymore, which is still reasonably fast as a one-hander, and I can switch off between that and the longsword depending on the situation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Long sword is just a really versatile weapon. Good range, good speed, good stamina usage, can be played 1h with shield or 2H for dodging-and-max damage. Can go either Str or Dex. Never a bad time to be using it.

Then you get a shield with 100% physical defense early on, and the Elite Knight armor can be acquired early, and you dont have to worry about wasting materials on upgrading armor so I can just focus on Vit/End/Str and upgrading that sword/shield the whole game. Thats all I need, b. Im not somebody who plays these games multiple times, doing magic builds and PvP and exploring the lore and shit. Just give me what works.

I was surprised at how many ridiculous shields there are. 100% physical defense for like 5 weight.

FUGS was the easy mode. I did have fun wrecking people in Pvp before it was widespread the FUGS was op :p

Is it possible to wield a scythe in one hand, and a whip in another? I'm sure it would be no where near optimal, but it would be pretty damn cool.

TheFlow

Banned

Pretty much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom