• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did you publicly rate the bosses in DS3 yet, btw? I may have missed that post, but would be interested to hear.
Sure, I could do a summary. Sorry, no in-depth rating since it's 1:20am and I need to head to college this morning! Watch out for spoilers!

Iudex Gundyr: 5/10
The standard humanoid boss fight, nothing too special. Not bad though.

Vordt of the Boreal Valley: 7/10
Fantastic boss fight, which peaks during phase 2 where the music goes bat shit crazy. It's so fucking good and the way he charges at you truly makes it feel like you're fighting this crazy beast. Reminds me of one of the "smaller" SotC-bosses.

Curse-Rotted Greatwood: 3/10
Terrible boss. It's a cool idea that the map changes during phase 2, but it really doesn't work out in the end. Also, this boss is completely imbalanced for casters. They can't target the eggs and have to do it manually, which is horrible balance.

Crystal Sage: 4/10
Decent, the music is amazing though (especially during phase 2). RNG determines phase 2 though, but I like the idea of "hunting" the purple.

Abyss Watchers: 8/10
Absolutely insane. My jaw was on the floor as I was fighting these Watchers. On top of this being an absolutely beautiful fight in phase 2, it's very creative as well. Simply put one of the top three bosses in the game.

Deacons of the Deep: 5/10
Whilst having amazing music and whilst the idea behind the boss is really good (look for the red soul that travels from one priest to another). The minions are too easy, despite NG or NG++ and in the end it feels like it's missing out on a third phase. I wish the last phase would involve one dude absorbing everyone up and becoming this big bad super priest.

High Lord Wolnir: 3/10
The build up for this boss is crazy and he sure looks scary. It's a trash fight, with next to zero depth.

Old Demon King: 2/10
Even worse, standard DkS2 type of boss. Extremely unmemorable and just plain boring.

Pontiff Sulyvahn: 7/10
We're back in the game! This boss starts of by reminding you of King Allant from Demon's Souls. It's really good, how he charges you at the start of the fight. Overall the fight is insanely good and it becomes even crazier with phase 2. I just wish some of his moves were a bit more "easy" to calculate; some show up a bit too fast and requires you to basically hold your shield up at all times. I tend to dislike that.

Yhorm the Giant: ?/10
Gimmick fight. Nothing spectacular. When I fought this dude the first time, I did it without the gimmick and it became an interesting endurance fight. On NG+ (and on my other characters), I did what I was supposed to do and... well, boring.

Aldrich, Devourer of Gods: 4/10
Nostalgia is good; but you really expect to fight Ornstein and Smough after spending an hour or so in Anor Londo. What you get is a boring fight that reminds you of Gwyndolin. Her moves are kind of interesting during phase 2 but the framerate (PS4) really goes down the shitter during it. Mostly because she becomes all fire'd up.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley: 6/10
Whilst this is a really beautiful fight, from both an artistic and graphical point of view, it really fails on delivering what I want from DkS3. The difference between phase 1 and 2 isn't significant enough for my liking. The music is intense as fuck though.

Dragonslayer Armour: 7/10
Hell yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Arthas called, he wants to be in a Souls-game. Would this boss have his health increase by half or double, this fight would've been TOP TIER. Overall, phase 2 doesn't change the main fight that much but the fact that the environment is dangerous makes this fight amazing. I love that he can destroy the "walls" and then push you out of the map.

Oceiros, the Consumed King: 3/10
Terrible. Big boss that doesn't have "structure", especially during phase 2 where you just kinda want to trigger his aggressive dashes in order to roll dodge and counter.

Champion Gundyr: 7/10
This should've been the first boss! Good stuff; pretty tough and completely parryable, which I like. The atmosphere is insane (complete darkness) and phase 2, him becoming completely bat-shit insane, is intense and imo should've been phase 1.

Lothric, Younger Prince: 10/10
The best (or second to best?) boss in the game, and in the entire Souls-franchise. I don't know where to start. The music, the lore, phase 2's dynamic, the fact that you could see which move the prince is going to perform JUST A SECOND BEFORE he teleports behind you is an insanely good detail that needs to become a "thing". It's a fully choreographed, perfect boss fight. I just WISH they were harder, I wish they had more health, and I just wish the hits would deal more damage. NG+ was a breeze, unfortunately - but that doesn't stop the amazingness that is the Younger Prince(s).

Ancient Wyvern: ?/10
Gimmick fight, pretty cool how you walk through the entire map to then finally jump attack this dragon. If you decide to kill him without the "gimmick", it's a pretty basic boss fight that reminds me of something from DkS1. 3/10 without the gimmick.

Nameless King: 10/10
Second best boss (or the best boss, depending on how you see it). It has more flaws than the Prince(s) BUT the fact that this boss is by far the hardest boss in the game WHILE BEING COMPLETELY FAIR, makes the Nameless King yet another boss that's superior than anything in other Souls-game. The negative mostly being how the cloud you walk on doesn't give you a clear indication where you are on the map, resulting in you sometimes reaching a wall without knowing. While phase 1 is a really cool fight, it doesn't really start until phase 2 where you actually get to fight the Nameless King. It's an absolutely amazing fight where you need to have full control over your positioning, as well as knowing which moves of his are delayed and which ones are sped up. This boss is art and has reached the top bosses in the entire franchise.

Soul of Cinder: 9/10
This is the first time I've actually enjoyed a final boss in the series, believe it or not. And holy shit is it AMAZING. Not only do you have pre-knowledge by playing previous Souls game (what I mean by this is that you know all of the Cinders moves because it mimics the ones from the "main character" in DkS1), but the music and environment... oh my god, the environment reminds me of something that would also fit in an epic God of War fight. It's crazy good. And the fucking music, man... Gwyns piano theme from DkS1 slowly transitioning in the song, adding to the complete RIDICULOUSNESS that is this fight.

Oh and here's some perspective:

Amazing bosses from DeS: Flamelurker, King Allant. Flamelurker getting a 9, King Allant getting a 10.
Amazing bosses from DkS: Taurus Demon, Ornstein & Smough, both rating 9.
Amazing bosses from DkS2: Glass Knight, Old Dragonslayer, both rating 8
Amazing bosses from BB: Blood-starved Beast and Father Gascoigne, both rating 9.

Question for someone who already played the game or knows about this. Is there something like a Dark Hand from DS1 in DS3? A simple Yes or No suffices. Please spoiler tag or PM in case someone doesn't want to know.

Just asking because I really loved my DS1 Pyro build with a pyromancy flame in the right hand and a dark hand in the left. Looked awesome.

There is a darkwraith who uses one, so I'm assuming it's in.

Unai

Is it possible to disable PvP without disabling the messages and bloodstain like you could in DKS2 by burning a human effigy? I want my first playthough to go mostly PvE, but I don't want to play really offline.

I'd be willing to give the DS3 Caetus a shot. Seems they auto duel-wield when two-handed, so hopefully they're balanced around that and pretty strong.

I also want to try the whip. And that great machete. And the scythe...actually, damn near every weapon looks pretty good to me. Definitely haven't felt that way about a previous Souls game.
I picked up some Mainken Claws and was surprised to see it mention that they auto dual wield now, they've almost suckered me in for a third time that may be the charm.
That and the great lords were testing me when I came across the Great Scythe in this entry way earlier than I expected.
That'll have to be the second run weapon though, I have a souls tradition of starting off my first file as AXE MAN with a presumably safe as fuck strength focus.

Won't be able to play this in the foreseeable future, but I am happy for all souls fans. Enjoy it guys. Maybe someday I'll get to mend the world one last time.

Ogawa-san

Is it possible to disable PvP without disabling the messages and bloodstain like you could in DKS2 by burning a human effigy? I want my first playthough to go mostly PvE, but I don't want to play really offline.
Afaik it works like Bloodborne, you can't be invaded until you use an item that's required for co-op.

Just bumrushed through NG+ on a character to get him to 120 to be ready for PVP fun times when the servers come on tomorrow. Also got all of the
Titanite Slabs, minus the ones from Siegward's questline. So I now have 9 weapons fully upgraded. (I'm withholding one slab just in case I learn of a new weapon later that's fun in PVP)

Shredded most bosses with
Sunlight Straight Sword, 40str 40dex, flame weapon, plus weapon art buff... So good.

Also, a fun build/cosplay I discovered:
Namess King Crown + Loin Cloth + Hand Axe + Carthus Shield + Bow = Native American Warrior Chief build! Also adding in Kukris as my "throwing tomahawks"... gonna be fun to invade people with that :)

The Long sword is just a really versatile weapon. Good range, good speed, good stamina usage, can be played 1h with shield or 2H for dodging-and-max damage. Can go either Str or Dex. Never a bad time to be using it.

Then you get a shield with 100% physical defense early on, and the Elite Knight armor can be acquired early, and you dont have to worry about wasting materials on upgrading armor so I can just focus on Vit/End/Str and upgrading that sword/shield the whole game. Thats all I need, b. Im not somebody who plays these games multiple times, doing magic builds and PvP and exploring the lore and shit. Just give me what works.

Saving this for later.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can I play Magic like Demon's/Dark and it be super overpowered or is it like Dark Souls 2 where I picked melee b/c someone told me magic was nerfed and they were wrong and it sucked when I got to the Ruin Ass Sentinels

Sure, I could do a summary. Sorry, no in-depth rating since it's 1:20am and I need to head to college this morning! Watch out for spoilers!

Oh and here's some perspective:

Amazing bosses from DeS: Flamelurker, King Allant. Flamelurker getting a 9, King Allant getting a 10.
Amazing bosses from DkS: Taurus Demon, Ornstein & Smough, both rating 9.
Amazing bosses from DkS2: Glass Knight, Old Dragonslayer, both rating 8
Amazing bosses from BB: Blood-starved Beast and Father Gascoigne, both rating 9.

I really want to look at those spoilers, but I can't. How many do you list as 9+?

Can I play Magic like Demon's/Dark and it be super overpowered or is it like Dark Souls 2 where I picked melee b/c someone told me magic was nerfed and they were wrong and it sucked when I got to the Ruin Ass Sentinels

From what I heard people say, it is not strong in this game either. More of a supplementary thing. But I could be wrong, haven't tested it myself yet of course.

When you beat a boss one of those co-op/pvp items gets used automatically, so to truly avoid invasions you'll have to run off a cliff or something after each boss. Just like in Demon's Souls!

If you are talking about the ember item that's wrong. You get restored to ember status for free, it doesn't use an item in your stock

E92 M3

Magic isn't super strong unless you dedicate yourself fully to it.

RPGam3r

When you beat a boss one of those co-op/pvp items gets used automatically, so to truly avoid invasions you'll have to run off a cliff or something after each boss. Just like in Demon's Souls!

I'm well trained in the art of suicide runs off cliffs close to bonfires.

I'm usually in a dilemma when it comes between choose PS4 vs. 980 ti PC, but the 60fps is going to make this pretty easy. I wonder if it'll be playable over the Steam Link. I would prefer to play it with the PS4 controller, but the Steam Controller or 360 should be fine.

This OT's OP is kind of weird. I thought I accidentally clicked on the Import OT because some of the sections and FAQ talk about the import too much. Also, not a fan of dark theme-only layout and info embedded about the OP's stream and personal questions/answers. I hope this doesn't come off harsh, just some criticisms!

Disclaimer:
I don't care if you think dark or light theme is better.

I'm usually in a dilemma when it comes between choose PS4 vs. 980 ti PC, but the 60fps is going to make this pretty easy. I wonder if it'll be playable over the Steam Link. I would prefer to play it with the PS4 controller, but the Steam Controller or 360 should be fine.

This OT's OP is kind of weird. I thought I accidentally clicked on the Import OT because some of the sections and FAQ talk about the import too much. Also, not a fan of dark theme-only layout and info embedded about the OP's stream and personal questions/answers. I hope this doesn't come off harsh, just some criticisms!

You can play it with a DS4 controller. Look up DS4Windows.
It also plays really well if not better with a steam controller :p

Tarkus

Magic doesn't appear for those who believe The Last Guardian is never coming :-/

Unai

It seems that that item also gives a boost in HP. That's kind of a bummer but I can live with that.

If you are talking about the ember item that's wrong. You get restored to ember status for free, it doesn't use an item in your stock

Oh, yes! That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Wait, there's no online / offline option on the main menu?

Looks like you can choose to launch it in offline mode.

ravn8tu.png

You can play it with a DS4 controller. Look up DS4Windows.
It also plays really well if not better with a steam controller :p
Yeah, but don't you have to unpair it with the PS4 when you do that? It's a hassle since my PS4 is my main device for streaming media. I have many hours in with my Steam Controller and know i'm crazy for not being a huge fan of it, but I still try to love it to this day. :>

Jedi2016

Can you be invaded even if you haven't opened yourself up for co-op? That was my favourite aspect of DaS II
As I understand it, using an Ember or beating or boss is the equivalent of being Human in DS1/2, allowing for co-op and summons, and opening yourself up to invasions. But, the matching is done on the servers, and from what I've seen from PvPers on YT/Twitch, it leans heavily towards linking invaders to people who have already summoned, meaning more than likely the invader will be up against multiple opponents. Plus the Way of Blue covenant, which will
summon an NPC to fight for you when you're invaded

It generally sounds like, if you don't want to be invaded, it's not that difficult to avoid even when playing online. Plus the servers also factor level and weapon level into account when matchmaking, so even if you do get invaded, the invader, in theory, should be a pretty even match.

Question... if you kill an invader, do you get anything? Ember?

Yeah, but don't you have to unpair it with the PS4 when you do that? It's a hassle since my PS4 is my main device for streaming media. I have many hours in with my Steam Controller and know i'm crazy for not being a huge fan of it, but I still try to love it to this day. :>

No you don't.

If the controller is connected to the pc and ds4windows is running then it won't interact with the ps4 at all.

Does anyone know if DS3 uses level scaling when password matching? It was useful to co-op Bloodborne with my friend from start to finish on his host using my endgame character.

Ah, yeah, you would have to unpair it.

I used to think Nameless King was a cool boss fight. However the camera in that fight is terrible & has severly dropped my opinion on that boss. Nothing like getting one shot in NG++ off screen because the camera wont adjust.

Does anyone know if DS3 uses level scaling when password matching? It was useful to co-op Bloodborne with my friend from start to finish on his host using my endgame character.

From what I've read it works exactly like Bloodborne. You'll be able to use a password to match with a specific person regardless of character level.

oroboros

anyone know if there is a global death counter like in Dark Souls 2 on that little plaque in Majula? always thought that was really neat.

taoofjord

So I LOVE the two Future Press game guides for Bloodborne. I don't use them when I'm playing, I just love them as collectors items because they're beautifully designed, and have some great title features (the lore section is fantastic)'and I enjoy the interviews.

I'm really disappointed that Future Press isn't making the guide for DS3. Has anyone seen Prima's guide? Is it close to the same quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom