• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
I can't even get past the second boss! That mother fucker just piles on through me and my summons! I'm running outta embers, man, I can't be spending that shit on you!

What's some good strats for
his second form, where he starts going apeshit?
Roll into and hug him. When he starts to fire the ice blast that is a free couple of hits. But stay behind him

saturnine

Finished my first blind session with the game. Grabbed my first plot thingy. My thoughts so far :

the first boss was not a pleasant surprise.
the high wall was ok, but man those knights...
the undead settlement was nice, if a bit too much Bloodborny. the tree boss was pretty fun.
faux-siegmeyer? come on now. same thing with andre. :/

so far so good. but then...

The forest and the swamp. Good lord. I had a miserable time.
The forest, with the mobs of tree carrying hippies and the slowmo water. Ugh. Even got my first invader. Didn't expect him to be able to heal. When the fucker realised he was still losing he decided to go hide behind the sole black knight of the map. That was nice.

The swamp... honestly, this might be the worse version of 5-2 in any souls game. The place is a mess to navigate, the giant enemies are a pain in the ass. I hate leaving an area before completely exploring it and collecting all the items, but fuck this map.
And then of course they decided to put the kind of bosses I hate at the end.
Watchers of the Abyss was it? My thought process went something like this :
"Uh, a one-on-one battle with a dude my size? What's the twist?"
"Oh come on, not the Four Kings again?"
"Mmh, this one as red eyes and attacks the others. So it's some kind of brawl? I can dig it."
"Alright done. That was messy but... wait, what's going on with this cuts-No. I know where this is going. Fuck you FROM."
*gets murdered*
"yeah okay whatever, I'm summoning."

Terrible second phase. You can't see shit with all the smoke. You can't play with a shield because this asshole breaks your guard in two hits, and of course he can combo your ass like nothing. FROM, please keep your Devil May Souls fantasies to Bloodborne, PLEASE.

Really hoping this area and its boss are outliers.

Explored a bit of
the catacombs
after that and
had a good laugh at the giant skeleton ball rollercoaster that nearly killed me.

Get'sMad

Question (8 hrs in Firelink Shrine spoilers):
so, I gave a glance around Firelink just now and one of my people is dead, the humpback sorceror dude in the right side back corner, and the one that's been telling me what to do is MIA entirely
. What happened?

Also, I missed the part where
Patches screwed me over, but he's in Firelink apologizing

did you do any leveling with him? another NPC should appear in his place

Hypron

Finished my first blind session with the game. Grabbed my first plot thingy. My thoughts so far :

the first boss was not a pleasant surprise.
the high wall was ok, but man those knights...
the undead settlement was nice, if a bit too much Bloodborny. the tree boss was pretty fun.
faux-siegmeyer? come on now. same thing with andre. :/

so far so good. but then...

The forest and the swamp. Good lord. I had a miserable time.
The forest, with the mobs of tree carrying hippies and the slowmo water. Ugh. Even got my first invader. Didn't expect him to be able to heal. When the fucker realised he was still losing he decided to go hide behind the sole black knight of the map. That was nice.

The swamp... honestly, this might be the worse version of 5-2 in any souls game. The place is a mess to navigate, the giant enemies are a pain in the ass. I hate leaving an area before completely exploring it and collecting all the items, but fuck this map.
And then of course they decided to put the kind of bosses I hate at the end.
Watchers of the Abyss was it? My thought process went something like this :
"Uh, a one-on-one battle with a dude my size? What's the twist?"
"Oh come on, not the Four Kings again?"
"Mmh, this one as red eyes and attacks the others. So it's some kind of brawl? I can dig it."
"Alright done. That was messy but... wait, what's going on with this cuts-No. I know where this is going. Fuck you FROM."
*gets murdered*
"yeah okay whatever, I'm summoning."

Terrible second phase. You can't see shit with all the smoke. You can't play with a shield because this asshole breaks your guard in two hits, and of course he can combo your ass like nothing. FROM, please keep your Devil May Souls fantasies to Bloodborne, PLEASE.

Really hoping this area and its boss are outliers.

Explored a bit of
the catacombs
after that and
had a good laugh at the giant skeleton ball rollercoaster that nearly killed me.

For real? The
Abyss Watchers
fight is amazing IMO.

psychotron

Finally started tonight. Took out the
ice lizard, the first boss and the katana
asshole. No deaths yet! I'm loving this game!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
It's just the first boss man, that's like 2% of the full game haha, just suffer through it with the club, it's plenty enough for that guy :p
Sorry, I wasn't speaking about the principle of the matter. I suck at using the club. A lot. I couldn't beat him after an embarrassing number of tries, but I remade the character in a different class and was able to beat him using a sword without much trouble. That was my point.

Manu

Uh... So I burned an Undead Bone Fragment at the Firelink Shrine bonfire and now it says "bonfire level 2". What does that mean?

A
byss
W
atchers
was probably the first challenging boss...not that I'm good, I just mean I've played a ton of DkS1 & BB, so the previous ones were kinda par for the course. If I ended the first phase where it spawns, I got wasted cheaply, and the AOE on attacks were a little cheap feeling, but it got my heart pumping like a BB boss fight, so that's good.

Fisty

Doing a Depraved start and about to level up for the first time, is pyro good in this one? How important is a shield?

hawk2025

What the hell is this, 6 deaths already on the second boss o_O

Is it the Assassin class? Is it me? Have I lost the near-deade of Souls skills? :(

Ryde3

Alot of posts I'm sorry if it's been mention, but every time me and my friend play with each other I don't see his animations and the enemies are all glitched out - does anyone know a fix for this? Has it been acknowledged?

I'm playing on PC if it's platform specific.

Get'sMad

Okay for all my bros who have played through the Japanese version
sequence break stuff....I murked the lady that gives you in the banner and the dancer fight isnt triggering like it did before? what gives? I did this in one of my playthroughs on the Japanese version and it worked then but now....

edit never mind
i just didnt approach the statue

For real? The
Abyss Watchers
fight is amazing IMO.

That's where I had to stop and overall I'd say it's pretty cool fight.
I struggle to read attacks with trail effects though. Plus there's the dust effect from the slam attacks. Readability could be better. Feels like Maria without regain to balance out stray hits

If anyone just plays these games for exploration, awesome loot and amazing atmosphere. There is a trainer out.

I just do infinite stamina, magic points and weapon durability (the only annoyances I ever have).

I play in offline mode btw. So I don't go in and cheat against others.

Timeaisis

You can access it later by doing an NPC quest later in the game. You lose that 2nd opportunity if you join
Rosaria's Finders
though.

Cool, thanks. Is it a worthwhile covenant?

What the hell is this, 6 deaths already on the second boss o_O

Is it the Assassin class? Is it me? Have I lost the near-deade of Souls skills? :(

This is super anecdotal, but it seems people who rolled Assassin (like me) are having a more difficult time early game. Are you still using Estoc? If so, my strategy on
Vordt
was roll into him as he attacks you, and follow up with many attacks while "inside" or right under him. It works surprisingly well if you continue dodging forward instead of back/sideways, and Estoc can get a good number of hits before you have to dodge again.

I can't tell if parrying has changed, but I'm struggling to parry even easily telegraphed attacks. Never had this problem in the other games.

Yeah, same here. Not sure what it is but I've all but given up on using my shield at this point.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Uh... So I burned an Undead Bone Fragment at the Firelink Shrine bonfire and now it says "bonfire level 2". What does that mean?

It means your Estus heals for more.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What are my STR bros rolling with? I've been using a Lucerne +2 for most of the game. I'm in the chapel area now and feel like switching it up. I have a bunch of titanite saved up.

Unai

I've just hoped on
some guy's back cage
and he took me to
a... swamp
or something. I didn't fully explored the previous area :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What are my STR bros rolling with? I've been using a Lucerne +2 for most of the game. I'm in the chapel area now and feel like switching it up. I have a bunch of titanite saved up.

I'm still using the Battle Axe +3 but I'd love to try something else, the Butcher's Blade looks great but lacks hybrid scaling so it's a downgrade. Hopefully there's a good strength 1H coming up at some point.

Yo so is there an important day 1 patch or anything for PS4?

Just bought it but don't have internet until next Tuesday. Can take my PS4 to my parents to download if needed.

Also I heard magic isn't great in this, but how's pyromancy in particular? I've always gone with a full strength build so I want to mix it up. Thinking dex + pyro.

105.Will

I've been using the Greatsword. its pretty good but its heavy as hell and the scaling isn't to good

Kyolux

Got invaded during my first actual attempt at going in undead settlement.

The guy was floating around weirdly for a while. While he was doing that, I got a blue sentinel in to help out and eventually got another person to help.

But when he started attacking us, he was constantly invisible and hitting us in melee. (We were sometime able to get some random hits in)

Was that some weird lag/exploit or is there really something that gives you invisibility for 5+ minutes? This was on PS4.

Does anyone else get the glitch where summoned friends don't animate correctly? And the bosses don't animate correctly when playing Co OP with password matching?

Ogawa-san

Just got to STR softcap, going with a Butcher's Knife +6 for now. I wanted to try something else but the A scaling is too good.

Soulflarz

Banned
got through to the first I
rithyll
bonfire without dying

:>

*not counting the fight leading into the area

Back to making good pace~

Roussow

Greatsword gaf. What are you guys using? I just got the Greatsword and am not sure how i feel about it.

I have really warmed up to it, there was another Greatsword with a thrust R2 instead of a wide swing, which might have had its benefits, but the damage is worse overall, so I've stuck with the standard Greatsword, it's making things pretty easy, I've heard tales of the
Fume Ultra Greastsword
being ridiculous, although I'm yet to obtain it, so at this point, I'd back the standard Greatsword, especially if you just got it.

hawk2025

^ Thanks for the tip on rolling above. I'll give it a shot!

Are the bosses Parry-able in general like Bloodborne? I tried a couple of times with no luck so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom