• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
1/Fire gem completely removes scaling and slits the damage between physical and fire damage. It's good if you keep low offensive stats, but better move to scaling upgrades when you start leveling up.

2/Upgrade materials are scarce in the beginning so better use them for a weapon you know you'll keep.
You can find a Claymore right in the beginning in the same situation area as in Dark Souls 1.
Where the dragon is breathing fire.

3/The Cathedral is a few hours into the game (more than 10 I would say in the first run).

There are many of them in this game :D

It doesnt get 0 scaling

Isnt there a stat that modifies fire damage dealt? Does that even matter ehrn using fire weapons

They might have dropped that feature from DS2

Fire weapons also get bonus damage to enemies weak to fire

Dr. Buni

I am in that area with the
undeads holding those huge wood lance things.
Am I close to the
tree boss
?
I keep finding messages with many appraisals that say "illusory wall ahead", are they trolling me or do I need an item to activate it? I'm still on the high wall of Lothric but these wall messages are annoying me.
Trolling. It was the same in DS2.

Alright got my dex to 16 for the Uchigatana. Am I going to hold onto this for a while or is there something better early on? Maybe via a boss soul?

Don't want to waste my items upgrading it just to ditch it in a couple hours >_>

Mupod

man looking back I really had a lot of great memorable moments last night. Can't wait to play more.

Fought the second 'real' boss
tree
, first time in co-op to get a feel for it and we won by the skin of our teeth. One phantom died fast and I got knocked down to a sliver with no estus. Host managed to finish it off while I did my best to safely distract it.

Fought it by myself then got wombo combo'd from full ember mode HP (18 vigor) and decided maybe I should
stay the fuck away from its hand
. Won my second try only needing one flask. I then did some co-op on the boss for a while and got a nice chunk of souls - my intent was to explore the area with my summon sign down but I had to stop doing that because I'd get summoned too fast.

One of the times I got summoned a red phantom ran up and stabbed me as I was loading in, then he got jumped by the host and the other phantom. He ran away and after a minute or two of chasing we were like...wait, why are we following this idiot? Turned around then challenged the boss and he got sent home.

After I started exploring I found the
cathedral
and pretty much marked out at that whole sequence of events. I won't go into details but it ended with a
huge anticlimax as I tried to jump down back to the area in front of the tree boss. It looked like I would survive but it was just a falling death zone. And then I rolled off the wrong side of the elevator and lost all the souls I'd gotten from the tree, co-op, and the fire demon. Fug.

Question for the woods....
What do I do about these giant enemy crabs? they take so much damage.

I finally managed to kill one yesterday, and all I got for it was a Great Swamp Ring, which I already had (you start with one when you choose the Pyromancer class). I plan on just avoiding them in future, as they're such a massive pain in the ass. They have a huge amount of health, hit quite hard, and if you don't kill them fast enough, they burrow underground and reappear with full health.

Soulhouf

It doesnt get 0 scaling

Isnt there a stat that modifies fire damage dealt? Does that even matter ehrn using fire weapons

They might have dropped that feature from DS2

Fire weapons also get bonus damage to enemies weak to fire

You need chaos gems for fire scaling that use faith and int to increase damage.
Fire gems remove the scaling completely.

Arjen

jaeKQV8.jpg

Never been so happy to see a short cut. 4 HP left.

Am I an idiot for still using the long sword and upgrading it to +4? I've just defeated the third boss using it, and am building a strength build.

Here's a dumb question: what does 'quality build' mean?

I see this term used all the time but have no idea what it refers to, despite having been obsessed with each and every game From has released since Demon's Souls

Luigiv

So just ran into my good friend
Patches
in the C
athedral
of the
Deep
. Well played From.
I thought "Seigward" sounded different when I talked to him, but I foolishly pressed on instead of cluing into the trap. Joke was on Patches though, I had already killed both giants beforehand.

I see this term used all the time but have no idea what it refers to, despite having been obsessed with each and every game From has released since Demon's Souls

Balanced stats focused on buffs to push damage to higher levels

Amiright?

Zeliard

I keep finding messages with many appraisals that say "illusory wall ahead", are they trolling me or do I need an item to activate it? I'm still on the high wall of Lothric but these wall messages are annoying me.

A lot of them are trolls but there are still illusory walls in the game. You just activate them by hitting them.

A build that uses equal parts strength and dexterity. Named so after the 'quality' upgrade route in Demon's Souls which evened out scaling between str and dex on weapons.

takriel

Quality means a focus on weapons that make use of Strength and Dexterity as scaling. So Quality Builds aim to have high levels of both of these traits.

I helped a few people do the first boss after the tutorial last night and then finally ran him solo myself. I feel like he's way easier alone, since he does his charge attack far less often. Mabye I just got lucky with my fight. I also saw him bug out for one person where here just kept backing up into a corner.

Levelling both str and dex.
I think it was because 'quality' weapons in Demon's scaled with both and the term has stuck.

Raw64life

Stayed up until 3 AM playing this last night. Summoned people for the first time and had a blast going through the Undead Settlement. But by the time I got up to an obvious looking boss area I was all out of flasks. I didn't want to abandon the dudes helping me out so I YOLOd it, died and lost 10K souls. Feels bad man. Won't stop me from staying up all night again playing it again though.

This seems like an incredibly safe sequel so far, but with gameplay this good I don't mind it at all.

GorillaJu

I have four of the best straight sword in the game available if anyone wants one. Requires 16 STR 15 DEX.

Won't make the game easy mode but you can use it and upgrade it and it'll be great forever.

Salz01

I thought I was pretty good at bloodborne. Finished the game. There were some tough spots and bosses for sure. But it was all manageable.

Played this game last night, repeatedly got my ass handed to me by first boss that I had to look up the strategy online. And it was the starting area. Holy crap what am I in for?

I have found myself not really using the weapon art on the Uchi. Is there something I'm missing in terms of how to use them?
I find the L2+R1 dashing strike useful for enemies who are rushing toward me because it covers a small distance and comes out very quickly, good for interrupting their attacks. The L2+R2 is a parry and it seems to have a fairly generous window. Not sure if it's better than using a shield to parry as I haven't tried that, but I've had good success with it.

Zeliard

I have found myself not really using the weapon art on the Uchi. Is there something I'm missing in terms of how to use them?

I use it a lot, especially in PvP. You have to be in two-handed mode and hold the L2 button. R1 does a dash and swipe, and R2 does a parry. It's a superb way to play defensively and wait for the enemy to make the first move or create an opening, then punish accordingly.

Somewhat less so in PvE because it uses up FP and I'd rather not carry around an Ashen Flask.

Ferr986

Just found the
Flynn
ring, but seems like is not as useful as before. Can't get any damage bonus, I guess it works different this time?

I do with bosses. The weapon art with with R1 does quite a bit more damage than a regular R1 swing. The R2 is a parry but I suck at parries so...

Sarcasm

I use it all the time, especially in PvP. You have to be in two-handed mode and hold the L2 button. R1 does a dash and swipe, and R2 does a parry. It's a superb way to play defensively and wait for the enemy to make the first move or create an opening, then punish accordingly.

You have to stay 2H after activating right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom