• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
4hs impressions: Got to second boss without Estus and took half his life before I died and then went to sleep. Trying to explore everywhere I can (or see).

Game looks fantastic and I'm having a good time BUT. I'm starting to think that this might be a case of "the first game in a series you play is the best", my first real experience with Souls was Bloodborne (played Demon's like 6hs) and I'm missing several things here:

1: Killed the first boss at first try, it was extremely easy. Either way, I'm not complaining much because I think of it like a tutorial, but it felt weird. In fact the boss is so easy that I was still doing shit with controls and he hit me with almost every attack and still didn't kill me...

2: Not feeling the awe I felt from the start of Bloodborne until Vicar Amelia, probably because it feels like home and not like something new to me.

3: Playing DEX character is not pretty, almost feels like the game is intended to play with a shield. I miss the side step of Bloodborne and the inmediate counter attack with R1. I'm managing just fine but I feel like I'm playing Bloodborne with lesser combat, makes me think that I should change my mindset and play with a shield but I don't want that. At least the Ichi-something sword is quite fun to use and it has some movements that give me new approaches on combat.

Again, game is great so far (Bloodborne's art direction might be more my thing but I think graphics are better here), I still have a lot ahead and I have to learn a lot of things, I have to discover some new tricks for fighting so I don't miss Bloodborne.

GorillaJu

It seems killing strong enemies will sometimes give you an additional flask but I'm not 100% sure what rule actually governs that. My hunch is that it only happens the first time you kill that particular spawn but that's just speculation.

Some enemy types (player controlled spirits) seem to guarantee flask +2 refills but I've heard if another player lights the bonfire you last rested at, it will refill your flask as well.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
How are the loading times on the PS4?

Haha I feel like such a scrub losing to the first boss a few times. ^^; what are you guys classes? As a pyromancer, it felt like any of his attacks at least took off half my health.

Anyway, now I'm exploring undead settlement. Already found the boss there, but I heard there was a secret you cant get after him. Also, does the pyromancer you find give you better stuff as the game progresses?

Got invaded 6 times in a row last night by
Wolves in the forest.
Hate you guys. WTF. Just like the idiot Cat people in 2. Well I took all of them down before shutting it off last night.

But that invade rate is way to high.

What's the best way to handle my Claymore? I'm going for a pure STR build. Should I infuse it with fire? Or leave it pure? Or Raw? And should I use elemental buffs? I'm puzzled to be honest.

Jobbs

Banned
What's the best way to handle my Claymore? I'm going for a pure STR build. Should I infuse it with fire? Or leave it pure? Or Raw? And should I use elemental buffs? I'm puzzled to be honest.

wait until you can infuse it with the thing that increases its strength scaling. I forget the name. you get it a few levels into the game.

if you are raising strength high, then don't infuse it with raw or fire, those remove the ability for the sword to scale its damage with your strength, making your extra strength meaningless

vaderise

Dive in. I'm playing on both PC and PS4 with PlayStation my main game...no problems yet (Although smoothly silk movement doesn't compare to 60fps).

Honestly I don't care about 60 FPS at all as long as there are no major dips.Thanks for the info,I'll get this ASAP!

Luigiv

Some enemy types (player controlled spirits) seem to guarantee flask +2 refills but I've heard if another player lights the bonfire you last rested at, it will refill your flask as well.

Oh really. Maybe it's the bonfire thing that's been filling my flasks and the fact it's been correlating with enemy kills was just a coincidence.

Nazo

Find a Heavy Gem. They increase a weapon's strength scaling and remove all other types of scaling.

aravuus

I want to try the dark sword, but need to reinforce it a couple of times to bring it's damaging power above the broadsword. So, best place to farm large titanite shards? I'm currently in the
Irithyll Dungeons

Ok this has been bugging me for a while now. Why does my Estus Flask keep refilling without returning to the bonfire? I don't remember getting refills in the field with the other games.

edgefusion

Quick Q, planning on playing tonight when I get in from work and am wondering how viable a hand to hand build will be? They've typically been niche but effective in previous DS games, is it the same here?

Ok this has been bugging me for a while now. Why does my Estus Flask keep refilling without returning to the bonfire? I don't remember getting refills in the field with the other games.

Somebody says that if somebody lights a bonfire in your area or someone rates up your message then you will get one. I don't really know if true or not.

taoofjord

One thing I'm missing in this game is a sense of place and memorable areas. Dark Souls 1 did a great job with this, Bloodborne too even though it didn't have a lot of variety in its world assets. Don't get me wrong, the actual level design in DS3 is amazing, but five areas in and I'm hoping for something to switch it up and make me say "wow!" while also having some major importance in the lore. Anyone further in know if the second half of the game is more visually impressive?

purg3

slept with Malkin

Previous souls games did that, Didn't you get a flask if someone beat the boss in the area you're in or something?

KorrZ

The major flaw with games releasing on Tuesdays is that when you end up with a great game like this the weekend is so far away.....

I can't stop thinking about this game and the 1.5-2 hours of time I get at night to play this is just not satisfying me.

Onemic

Man Undead Settlement is so open it's crazy. The amount of choice I have in this area is sorta paralyzing me from actually committing to a path all the way.

Neoweee

Somebody says that if somebody lights a bonfire in your area or someone rates up your message then you will get one. I don't really know if true or not.

Sometimes, "hard" enemies will give you refills. As far as I can tell it is meant to be a continuation of the on-the-go replenishment you got from Blood Vial drops in Bloodborne. DS2 Estus mechanics with a little something from Bloodborne's influence.

GulAtiCa

I assume it's the bonfire one. As there were times it went up with no enemies around. And really no time after beating a hard enemy.

welp. I accidentally attacked a friendly NPC at Firelink Shrine, the guy who was just outside of the shrine, looking at a grave or whatever. After killing me once and nearly killing me a second time, he seems to have disappeared. Since I've basically just got here, should I just reload?

Neoweee

Fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!!!
Dancer
is such a horribly designed boss! I have wasted 20 ember on this piece of shit! Guys..please do I need to defeat this shit to progress the game? Also how do I get the doll?

Hahahaha...

This is what happens when you read partial spoilers without getting the big picture.

welp. I accidentally attacked a friendly NPC at Firelink Shrine, the guy who was just outside of the shrine, looking at a grave or whatever. After killing me once and nearly killing me a second time, he seems to have disappeared. Since I've basically just got here, should I just reload?

you can reload saves in dark souls?

i dont think you can

Iorv3th

You would have to start over, you can't reload.

Just started playing. I am using my friends recommendation, and building a strong sorcerer. Also found a sword and shield early in the game that gives me a big advantage.

Soulhouf

Oh really. Maybe it's the bonfire thing that's been filling my flasks and the fact it's been correlating with enemy kills was just a coincidence.

I made some tests and I can confirm that killing enemies fills a hidden gauge. The amount depends on enemies.
Invaders and phantoms will fill the gauge completely at least once.
It still needs some testing but I put that basic information on the wiki.

Get a pardon?!

wait until you can infuse it with the thing that increases its strength scaling. I forget the name. you get it a few levels into the game.

if you are raising strength high, then don't infuse it with raw or fire, those remove the ability for the sword to scale its damage with your strength, making your extra strength meaningless

Find a Heavy Gem. They increase a weapon's strength scaling and remove all other types of scaling.

Thanks guys.

Also, where to go now? I'm still in the area after the 2nd boss:
I've just fought a fire monster with Onion man, and after that I'm basically wandering around. I went on some rooftops, but I can't seem to find a place to continue. I found a tower on which I jumped from the rooftop, but it seemed like a dead end.

later game spoiler question

in the irithyll dungeon. what the fuck is that thing on the wall with the human head? It didn't attack me and I cant target it.

GorillaJu

I think that it maybe doesn't trigger until you kill an enemy so you can't just AFK to cheese your way out of a hard situation.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
started lastnight with a Pyromancer, got rekt hard. started a new character as a knight and crawled my way to the second bonfire at the wall of lothric

i don't think i've bombed this much out of the gate in a Souls game before. should've brushed up on my skills leading up to this.... game does not dick around. not that i really expected otherwise though

I'm with you on this. Having played the Demon's Souls import for months and countless hours on DS1, I did fine in DSII and Bloodbourne in the early going.

Not so here. I picked a Herald. The spear does shit damage so even fights against the heavier base undead (axe and halbeard guys) can wreck my shit.
I was able to get a halbeard and was happy to find that its moveset it much closer to what it was in Demons than Dark. It was my go to weapon in Demons but to heavy and cumbersome in DS 1 and 2. This one is better and the R2 attack hits hard. I'll try upgrading a couple of times and see how it does.

I'm really having a problem with
knights and those alien symbiote undead and not making a ton of progress. As such I'm not feeling that exited to starting playing it again today, more like, I'll get around to it at some point. Any tips for High Wall of Lothric that I don't know? Other than gittin gud?

Thanks guys.

Also, where to go now? I'm still in the area after the 2nd boss:
I've just fought a fire monster with Onion man, and after that I'm basically wandering around. I went on some rooftops, but I can't seem to find a place to continue. I found a tower on which I jumped from the rooftop, but it seemed like a dead end.

I'm where you are now. There Is a boss in the area you can find by going Back to the bonfire with the bridge and following the path forward a bit.

You can also skip and go to the next area by
going down on the elevator you used to meet the "onion" guy

Brohan

So which area first? (Also keeping in mind questlines and such.)
Cathedral of the deep or through the swamp to Farons keep?

taoofjord

So which area first? (Also keeping in mind questlines and such.)
Cathedral of the deep or through the swamp to Farons keep?

Why not both? I get as far as I can with one path then do the same in another, just like all the souls games. There's no reason you have to stick with one till the end.

Neoweee

I think that it maybe doesn't trigger until you kill an enemy so you can't just AFK to cheese your way out of a hard situation.

I think that's a huge stretch.

What evidence do you have to suggest that it is at all linked with other players? It looks like random drop from hard enemies, so it probably is a random drop from hard enemies.

Auctopus

knights and those alien symbiote undead and not making a ton of progress. As such I'm not feeling that exited to starting playing it again today, more like, I'll get around to it at some point. Any tips for High Wall of Lothric that I don't know? Other than gittin gud?

High Wall is one of the trickiest areas, especially at the start. Collect enough souls to level up a bit, root around for weapons (I completed the game as Herald, great class, shit weapon). Clear out a few of the rooms but run past any groups of knights and symbiotes until you reach the first boss. He's a bit of a pushover and the area after him is more open and slightly easier imo.

later game spoiler question

in the irithyll dungeon. what the fuck is that thing on the wall with the human head? It didn't attack me and I cant target it.

Keep going a bit and you'll find out. It's easily the most disturbing enemy. Straight up (DeS reference)
man centipede
vibes.

GorillaJu

I'm with you on this. Having played the Demon's Souls import for months and countless hours on DS1, I did fine in DSII and Bloodbourne in the early going.

Not so here. I picked a Herald. The spear does shit damage so even fights against the heavier base undead (axe and halbeard guys) can wreck my shit.
I was able to get a halbeard and was happy to find that its moveset it much closer to what it was in Demons than Dark. It was my go to weapon in Demons but to heavy and cumbersome in DS 1 and 2. This one is better and the R2 attack hits hard. I'll try upgrading a couple of times and see how it does.

Maybe you're respecting enemies too much. Sometimes it's easier to just walk around their sides than it is to try and dodge everything from head on

Onemic

I gotta say, even after preparing with DS2, DS3 just feels harder. The regular enemies are harder(and smarter) than in DS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom