• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

Only if you send him before Siegward goes there

Dang it, I wonder if he's there already.. The little fella sells arrows so I don't really want to risk it.

Speaking of, why the hell can you store only 99 arrows? I can understand being able to carry only 99, but why is storage space so small too? Every other consumable has the maximum of 600, and you will never, ever need that many of probably any of them. Then you've got your arrows which you actually WILL use quite a lot if you do use a bow and nOPE, 198 absolute max fuck boi

Trick for easy-mode Katana guy:

Draw him to Firelink Shrine, he'll get stuck in the wall where the mist appears. From there you can kill him using long-range attacks or using your forward+R2 move and then rolling back.

Eh it feels like this enemy was placed there to force you to learn how to parry (like one of the bosses in MGR forces you to learn it) because if you try to hit him he'll just parry and oneshot you.

cheesing him seems pointless since he's so close to the bonfire

Can i just say how much i love all the new systems

Like weapon skills and FP being used for both magic and melee specials

Its fucking brilliant. Nothing is wasted in this game

Ugh, should've went with a knight... now I don't have dex for any cool weapons and I don't feel quite like commiting to purely Giant Club type of thing.

Audioboxer

From Software logic.

We heard you like large fast enemies with greatswords, so we put them up high on narrow roof beams with instant fall death. Also, enjoy some small agile thief like enemies in the mix.

Anno

Are there hard cut offs for equipment load %s? Or is every little bit just incrementally more of a toll of your character than previously?

Wiseblood

Is there a rusted iron ring or equivalent in this game, or do I have to fight
these giants
with a slow walk and a fat roll?

Sanctuary

So, new character. A lot easier starting as the knight.
It's also super useful that you can buy firebombs for 50 souls each.
Those giant exploding.. goo people are a real bitch to kill.

As it turns out, I wasn't wrong when I made the post in the Import OT on the best way of playing a "caster" in this game. It's by picking the Knight. The early game is so pointless as a Sorcerer (Pyromancer stats with better gear and functions better with fireballs, but it's still harder), compared to just sticking with melee until you're a few hours in. By that point, you will have found enough caster specific items and unlocked enough spells to make it worth bothering with. The game is just night and day easier early on as melee.

The irony is that this game highlights how these games have always been even more, despite so many claiming the contrary.

Dang it, I wonder if he's there already.. The little fella sells arrows so I don't really want to risk it.

Speaking of, why the hell can you store only 99 arrows? I can understand being able to carry only 99, but why is storage space so small too? Every other consumable has the maximum of 600, and you will never, ever need that many of probably any of them. Then you've got your arrows which you actually WILL use quite a lot if you do use a bow and nOPE, 198 absolute max fuck boi

Damn.... 99 arrow carry limit?!?

I suppose this is a balance thing since they probably dont want you sniping through the whole game...

Still a bummer. I liked having masses of arrows in DS2

Jamiaro

I am running a Quality-build. Need opinions on the following.

Would Dark Sword benefit better from Heavy or Refined Gem? If not, would Claymore work better?

From Software logic.

We heard you like large fast enemies with greatswords, so we put them up high on narrow roof beams with instant fall death. Also, enjoy some small agile thief like enemies in the mix.

You have to you the myriad of tools and techniques available to you

They mix between skill and strategy for various encounters.

In this instance you may want to try ranged attacks or some other tactic since fighting on the beam makes no sense

ogbg

Are there hard cut offs for equipment load %s? Or is every little bit just incrementally more of a toll of your character than previously?

Below 30% is a kind of fast roll. It's not as drastic as fast roll in DS1 but it's there. 30-70% seems to make hardly any difference. 70% is fat roll.

taoofjord

Just realized that if you hold down on the d-pad you auto select your health estus flask. Is this new to DS? I hope so, with as many hours as I've put into these games. Haha.

aravuus

Damn.... 99 arrow carry limit?!?

I suppose this is a balance thing since they probably dont want you sniping through the whole game...

Still a bummer. I liked having masses of arrows in DS2

Honestly, 99 is still enough to snipe your way through, I think, if you're willing to use melee at least a bit here and there too. Currently I seem to be killing enemies with 3-4 arrows with a +4 longbow, and the 99 limit is per arrow type, so in reality I'm carrying 297 arrows right now.

It's a bummer, but not as bad as it sounds.

GorillaJu

I am running a Quality-build. Need opinions on the following.

Would Dark Sword benefit better from Heavy or Refined Gem? If not, would Claymore work better?

Heavy if you're low level and are putting points into STR. Refined if you're able to distribute points.

From Software logic.

You could just run around on the rafters and those dummies will plummet to their deaths.

Sanctuary

Below 30% is a kind of fast roll. It's not as drastic as fast roll in DS1 but it's there. 30-70% seems to make hardly any difference. 70% is fat roll.

I don't know if it was a display error, or a bug, but I had the non fat roll at 70% for a while. When I tried it again later, with different characters though, it was always fat at exactly 70%.

Beat A
byss
W
atchers
finally. Had to burrow into my head to dodge forward. After that it was cool

It's a pretty fun fight fire sunbro'ing in case anyone needs to stock up

KingKong

Infusing removes scaling, right? So a level 10 dark axe should be comperable to a level 10 scaling axe accounting for resistances?

Also is it just something with my save or is the
catacombs
area especially glitchy? I feel like in that area I've seen so much texture/geometry pop-in and z-fighting. The game has this problem in other places too (I even found a spot with a missing texture in a later area) but that place especially just had all sorts of problems going on.

Audioboxer

You have to you the myriad of tools and techniques available to you

They mix between skill and strategy for various encounters.

In this instance you may want to try ranged attacks or some other tactic since fighting on the beam makes no sense

I know, I enjoy what they do it wasn't a criticism. Just showing how they don't give no fucks to conventional handholding gameplay.

You could just run around on the rafters and those dummies will plummet to their deaths.

Yeah most of them did lol. Not sure there is really anything up here other than a gem?

psychotron

Trick for easy-mode Katana guy:

Draw him to Firelink Shrine, he'll get stuck in the wall where the mist appears. From there you can kill him using long-range attacks or using your forward+R2 move and then rolling back.

I mentioned this earlier. When I saw how
fast he was and the high damage output, I said nope and ran away. When I saw him following me I decided to see what would happen when I got to the shrine entrance. Sure enough, he retreated slowly, allowing me to attack.

pa22word

7.5 hrs in on PCv and am already nearing
Yhorm

I don't see this game having near the replayability legs that previous entries did.

I mentioned this earlier. When I saw how
fast he was and the high damage output, I said nope and ran away. When I saw him following me I decided to see what would happen when I got to the shrine entrance. Sure enough, he retreated slowly, allowing me to attack.

Once I snagged the leather shield i was able to block his initial strikes and survive. After that i just kicked him off the edge lololol

purg3

slept with Malkin

Minor spoilers about him
You find his ashes in the Irrithyl sewer area surrounded by a bunch of those spider witch things. He still dies after that even if he survives Irrithyl. But once you get his ashes, the shop lady in Firelink sells what he had.

Apples_89

Hi Guys, long time lurker, first-time poster (account just approved). Looking forward to actively following and taking part in this discussion as we all experience this magnificent game!

Quick question regarding the 'top slot' in the inventory. I'm currently level 21 and have not seen the opportunity to equip anything to that slot. Is this reserved for the bow which I presumably unlock later in the game? This is my first souls game besides Bloodborne so there is probably a glaringly obvious answer which I am just not seeing.

aravuus

Minor spoilers about him
You find his ashes in the Irrithyl sewer area surrounded by a bunch of those spider witch things. He still dies after that even if he survives Irrithyl. But once you get his ashes, the shop lady in Firelink sells what he had.

Oh, nice, no worries then. Guess I'll risk it!

Hi Guys, long time lurker, first-time poster (account just approved). Looking forward to actively following and taking part in this discussion as we all experience this magnificent game!

Quick question regarding the 'top slot' in the inventory. I'm currently level 21 and have not seen the opportunity to equip anything to that slot. Is this reserved for the bow which I presumably unlock later in the game? This is my first souls game besides Bloodborne so there is probably a glaringly obvious answer which I am just not seeing.

Thats for magic. Attune spells at bonfires once you aquire them and have the appropriate spell casting weapon equipped

Although this game is orders of magnitudes more detailed than DS2, they seem to have removed some nice lighting stuff. I remember the bonfires casting shadows among other things.

Then again, I am playing the game with lighting set to low to keep it from crashing.

Soulhouf

Can someone explain the upgrade system to me?

I started off with a fire gem because I thought, hey, cool, I can get a fire weapon early on. But I'm reading online that it lessens base damage of the weapon. Is it still worth it then?

Also, should I bother to do an upgrade for my straight sword? Because I am going to be moving on to the first great/ultra great sword I find. Is that super far off, or am I going to be sticking with the Straight and True for a while?

Also, how far off is the Cathedral Knight area in particular?

1/Fire gem completely removes scaling and splits the damage between physical and fire. It's good if you keep low offensive stats, but better move to upgrades that have scaling when you start leveling up.

2/Upgrade materials are scarce in the beginning so better use them for a weapon you know you'll keep, at least for the first 10 hours.
You can find a Claymore right in the beginning in the same situation area as in Dark Souls 1.
Where the dragon is breathing fire.

3/The Cathedral is a few hours into the game (more than 10 I would say in the first run).

I hate swamps..

There are many of them in this game :D

Hypron

7.5 hrs in on PCv and am already nearing
Yhorm

I don't see this game having near the replayability legs that previous entries did.

Are you saying this because of the length? Because DaS1 takes like 10 hours on a replay, it's not long either.

Ark

I keep finding messages with many appraisals that say "illusory wall ahead", are they trolling me or do I need an item to activate it? I'm still on the high wall of Lothric but these wall messages are annoying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom