• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frillen

Is it random what you get from the bosses' souls or is it a constant? Is there a guide somewhere showing what boss will give you what items when you trade them in? Also, who do you trade/sell boss souls to?

Arjen

Anyone else experiencing failed to get calibrations on the Xbox? Tried restarting the Xbox a bunch of times, doesn't seem to work.

aravuus

Also I should have started using the longbow when I got it way back. It's very good for baiting enemies and actually deals fairly decent damage too.

Also
Greirat
dies if
you send him to Irithyll
, right?

Zeliard

No I definitely have the blue sentinels on :D. I'm soul level 43 and my weapons only +3. Whats the weapon upgrade range limiter?

According to the wiki it's +/-2, so if that's right you should be able to help anyone with a +1 weapon but not +0.

I was around SL 25-30 with a +3 Uchi up till the
Farrah Keep
and getting summoned.

There's nothing quite like going through a Souls game for the first time. Never knowing if you are going the right way, and wondering if the path you saw but didn't go down has some great loot. The area I'm in now is huge, and seems like there are a dozen different ways you can go through it. Very overwhelming. Not sure how anyone can say this game is linear.

The individual areas I've seen so far are definitely complex and sprawling and the world does seem contiguous, but since you have instant access to fast travel, you get less of a sense of overall cohesion. There's also less of a reason on the devs' part to make the world very interconnected and shortcut-heavy like Dark Souls 1, where you're looping back to older areas constantly, since they know most players are just going to fast travel.

Bluenoser

I sometimes want to try a different class but man.....that Knight armor just looks so good. Once I beat the game I will try a different one.

I started as a merc. TBH I struggled early on with the dual wielding, and crap shield he gets. It looks cool though- kind of like Vernon Roche from The Witcher.

They should drop the weapon level requirement

To many variables

Is this ignored for password matching? At least that would make sense

IMO, this is a brilliant alternative to the issue they were trying to correct in DKS2. Although, instead of not letting you invade/be summoned if your weapon is too strong, simply scale it down would be better.

Anyone notice that navigating the inventory kinda hitches/resets environmental audio? it's kind of annoying.. Hope that's one of the first bugs that get fixed..

There is a key down in a cellar after taking out the lone knight. The lone knight is located down the ladder from the rooftops where the transforming blob undead guy is. You'll have to go through three skeletor dogs and tall lanky undead guys who hit pretty hard.

In the kitchen, down some stairs - as mentioned above.
Hope that helps :/
Thanks!

Jobbs

Banned
Oh my god I'm
roast beef
wtf

so.. regarding the weirdo who did this to me...

he died for some reason now a new npc is standing there, and she is my follower now or something. she sells some items and im just not sure what to do. should I get the purging stone and cure my roast beef or do I need to be roast beef?

Mupod

I just found the blue sentinel covenant - I remember being quite hyped for this in dark souls 2 and it literally NEVER worked a SINGLE time. Hoping that's different in 3.

Also I'm seeing sunbros everywhere at and past the
tree boss
which makes me think I missed the covenant. I've gone back through a few areas and I did find a surprising amount of new stuff but no covenants.

edit: level 30-ish with a +2 sword and my summons at the boss mentioned above and getting summoned instantly, which is awesome because that boss is really fun. Like my usual thing in 2 at launch was to drop my sign at a boss then explore the area but I can't even make it 3 steps without being summoned.

Ferr986

General question, are there many missable/optional bosses like in Bloodborne ?

For sure, is a tradition in the Souls series.

I just found the blue sentinel covenant - I remember being quite hyped for this in dark souls 2 and it literally NEVER worked a SINGLE time. Hoping that's different in 3.

Also I'm seeing sunbros everywhere at and past the
tree boss
which makes me think I missed the covenant. I've gone back through a few areas and I did find a surprising amount of new stuff but no covenants.

It's in the area before.
Undead Settlement, after the second bonfire (the one after the big door with the dogs), where there's a lot of enemies, including a fatty woman in a bonfire of sorts, its in a house around there, the one that has a locked door. You need to drop in a hole inside the house to reach that room.

I started as a merc. TBH I struggled early on with the dual wielding, and crap shield he gets. It looks cool though- kind of like Vernon Roche from The Witcher.

That was the other class I was considering. Never made that connection but I can easily see that now that you mention it lol.

Agreed, although now I just got the Fallen Knight set that it looks as cool.

I'm like a medieval Kylo Ren now.

Ohh I have seen pics of people wearing that set. Want

cheezcake

(Spoilers are 6-7 bosses deep)

When you walk out of the Catacombs of Carthus and see Ithyrill of the Boreal Valley for the first time, damn son

Got the
second stage of the Abyss Walker boss
down to ~10% on my first try, proceeded to spend the next 15 or so tries fucking up the first stage. All too typical.

Kazuhira

I did my first 'nope' yesterday when
i saw the npc protecting the cleric girl lol;Then the dude tells me that everything is fine as long as i protect the girl,i check firelink shrine every 10 mins now haha
Undead settlement is an amazing area,it's massive and now i'm lost.
I love it.

Why the hell does it switch to my second usable item every time I rest at the bonfire? It keeps switching to my ashen flask, or whatever I have in the second slot.

Edit: Doh, it's because I'm alt tabbing to post on GAF...

Ferr986

That was the other class I was considering. Never made that connection but I can easily see that now that you mention it lol.

Ohh I have seen pics of people wearing that set. Want

It's not very far ingame! Its in the (just spoiling the number)
fourth
area, including the tutorial area.

zma1013

I asked before but maybe it got missed but how are magic casters in the game? Anyone finish it doing a sorcerer build? Does the Estus system gimp it?

Jarsonot

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but (early game, area 3?) in the
undead village
I put my sign down severa times assisting others and encountered what I think is a bug.

There's a part where you get
invaded by an npc
, don't remember his name. Anyway, I noticed that if I (as the helper) got killed then HE disappeared too. You can tell because after death you can still rotate the camera around and the host just stops fighting, looks confused, heh. =)

This happened multiple times yesterday. Thought I'd mention it. Don't have time to check this (fast-moving) thread all the time, so maybe it's already been said?

Anyway, loving the game. And (PS4) I've been getting summoned within seconds of putting my sign down, really awesome.

aravuus

IMO, this is a brilliant alternative to the issue they were trying to correct in DKS2. Although, instead of not letting you invade/be summoned if your weapon is too strong, simply scale it down would be better.

Should definitely scale it down, yeah, rather than restrict outright. +- 2 weapon levels sounds way too restrictive in my opinion. Summoning is fine obviously right now, but what about in a month or two?

Tiamant

Trick for easy-mode Katana guy:

Draw him to Firelink Shrine, he'll get stuck in the wall where the mist appears. From there you can kill him using long-range attacks or using your forward+R2 move and then rolling back.

Played for about 45 minutes before work and got summoned and beat tree boss like 4 times but still haven't gotten past him myself and now not going to get to play again till like 8 tonight ;(

I'm at what I am almost certain is the final boss of the game. I'm sure there's some optional areas I missed along the way too. I greatly enjoyed the game, I liked it better than Dark Souls 2, my main gripe with that game was always that the general control and combat feedback never felt that good to me and in this game it feels fine.

The game met my expectations but didn't really go above and beyond them in any way, if it had come out before Bloodborne instead of the other way around, or if this was Dark Souls 2 I would probably feel a lot more strongly about it. It's a fine sequel but overall I'm kind of tired of this setting. I don't think they really needed more than one game set in this world, let alone three. I'd still play a theoretical Dark Souls 4 but I'd much prefer to see From continue to create new worlds if they keep using this gameplay structure.

Sanctuary

This is a joke right? Just because theyre tall lanky enemies doesnt mean theyre even close to comparable in moveset.

Are you serious? I'm talking about the enemies with the wooden crosses on their backs. For a non melee character, they are pure hell unless you keep backpeddaling or come up with creative uses of terrain. If you try fleeing from two of them, you're 100% dead, because you will run out of stamina first.

Let's see: flurry of extremely fast melee strikes that usually happens following a ground dash, and a leaping attack that goes up very high and hits like a meteor.

Nope, nothing alike at all. You're right.

pupcoffee

I like what they've done with the Estus/Ashen Estus system. But as a Soul-arts user, I only need one Ashes Estus flask. With how the system presented, it feels like From expects me to carry more, and I'm "cheating" by having 8 estus flasks.

Knuf

Started the game as a knight last night, and played only 2 hours, but I'm appreciating the fact you can already find so many great weapons (and enemies) right in the first area, if you look hard enough.
It's certainly a very difficult task to get back to that defensive style of playing, after so many hours spent in Bloodborne (and its DLC), but combat is still sooo damn good that I'll eventually get used to it.

Bluenoser

Trick for easy-mode Katana guy:

Draw him to Firelink Shrine, he'll get stuck in the wall where the mist appears. From there you can kill him using long-range attacks or using your forward+R2 move and then rolling back.

Or you can run from him, and he randomly falls off a cliff, and you get 2k souls and when reload the game, his gear lol.

I did this completely by accident when I first arrived to that area.

taoofjord

What are my STR bros rolling with? I've been using a Lucerne +2 for most of the game. I'm in the chapel area now and feel like switching it up. I have a bunch of titanite saved up.

The Butcher Blade.
It's a really fun weapon! Gotta pump up STR early on to make it worthwhile though.

Vuze

Not sure why people were/are complaining about the
Dancer
(late game / sequence break boss). The claw move was a bit silly but I managed to survive and the rest of the fight was very managable on the third attempt.

Rizzi

So, new character. A lot easier starting as the knight.
It's also super useful that you can buy firebombs for 50 souls each.
Those giant exploding.. goo people are a real bitch to kill.

Mid-late game spoilers

So, I'm running around in Irithyl or whatever. and then, wait, those buildings look kinda familiar, hmm.

Go through sewer ish area and emerge into a room.. wait... those pictures... those knights.. am I... wait... the bridge on the way in... the guardian.. hmm..maybe it's just fan service.

Continuing.. up onto the next level.. that.. hammer... ring.. From what are you doing? It must just be this room.

I went out onto the top and climbed the last set of stairs and looked up at the building in front of me. Wow. Chills.

I was in Anor Londo and I didn't even know it.

Now to level up and see what's behind that fog gate.

Clap clap From Software. You've really done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom