• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

Yes.
Look around where the giant bolts were landing earlier. The bone shard there can be burnt at the Firelink bonfire.

what?
burning this improves your estus flask?
I thought this was something like the kindling in DS2

zma1013

What happened to the soothing soul sucking sound when you kill an enemy? I miss it dearly.

Also, is anyone else having issues telling when they are running low on health during a fight. It seems I'm having trouble telling damage done to me in real time because it's leaving a similarly colored "after trail" of health for a moment and when looking quickly at it makes it look like I have more health than I actually do. Same with stamina. It's like the color difference isn't enough for me to differentiate quickly enough.

I do have a slight colorblindness but I've died several times during a fight thinking I had more health than I actually had or run out of stamina when it looked like i had more and I've never had this issue in the other games.

Impulsor

Black Knight UGS or BK great axe. Cathedral Knight UGS if you want something infusable

I think I'm going to go for the
Cathedral Knight UGS

For pure strength, should I infuse it with a Heavy gem?

Other than that, I'm willing to try out the
Standard Great Axe.
. Dropped in the first area from one of the big axe dudes.

So yeah.

I'm currently at 30 STR.

Chao

What happened to the soothing soul sucking sound when you kill an enemy? I miss it dearly.

I honestly thought my game was glitching or something until I realized they may had removed it for some reason.

It doesn't feel good, please FROM release a patch to fix this nonsense

I find the L2+R1 dashing strike useful for enemies who are rushing toward me because it covers a small distance and comes out very quickly, good for interrupting their attacks. The L2+R2 is a parry and it seems to have a fairly generous window. Not sure if it's better than using a shield to parry as I haven't tried that, but I've had good success with it.

I use it a lot, especially in PvP. You have to be in two-handed mode and hold the L2 button. R1 does a dash and swipe, and R2 does a parry. It's a superb way to play defensively and wait for the enemy to make the first move or create an opening, then punish accordingly.

Somewhat less so in PvE because it uses up FP and I'd rather not carry around an Ashen Flask.

Ohhh, it's a parry! I thought that move was supposed to break shield guard, and when it didn't I was just confused. Nice. I'll play around with those more. Thanks!

Arkeband

Banned
Newb speculation: I'm getting Berserk Godhand vibes from the five thrones.

Also, the
Undead Settlement
is straight out of Berserk's Conviction arc.

Managed to get to the third boss last night, really enjoying it, but really hope the ambient audio bug gets fixed ASAP, it's driving me nuts.

Zeliard

Some shields, instead of being able to parry or shield bash, instead let you use your equipped Weapon Art with L2.

The Silver Eagle Kite Shield is an early one like that. Press L2 with it and an Uchi and it'll go into the Uchi's holding stance. Let go and it'll revert back to 1H + shield.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!!! Dancer is such a horribly designed boss! I have wasted 20 ember on this piece of shit! Guys..please do I need to defeat this shit to progress the game? Also how do I get the doll?

GorillaJu

I think I'm going to go for the
Cathedral Knight UGS

For pure strength, should I infuse it with a Heavy gem?

Other than that, I'm willing to try out the
Standard Great Axe.
. Dropped in the first area from one of the big axe dudes.

So yeah.

I'm currently at 30 STR.

Infuse it heavy yes. Late game if you pump dex into it, refined will get more dmg out of it. At +10 with 40 STR and 40 DEX, the CKGS is 275+219 with Heavy, 266+288 Refined, and 297+237 Normal. Essentially, early game heavy, late game refined.

For what it's worth, BKUGS +5 is 322+290 (non-infusable). I use the BKUGS.

mulac

I feel like i'm missing a ton of stuff - still on the High Wall at the start...
found some prison cells underneath with a dude sitting in a cell
- but the door is locked...now to spend hours scouring the level looking for the key!

GorillaJu

Fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!!! Dancer is such a horribly designed boss! I have wasted 20 ember on this piece of shit! Guys..please do I need to defeat this shit to progress the game? Also how do I get the doll?

That's a late game boss. The doll is
in the cathedral of the deep. Go up past the crystal sage boss bonfire and follow the path.

Also it's not a badly designed boss you just gotta roll it well. I actually love that boss myself.

Jobbs

Banned
what do you guys think of the curved big sword that comes off the
aggroing npc in road of sacrifices? just before farron keep? is that worth using?
the moveset looks promising.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
7.5 hrs in on PCv and am already nearing
Yhorm

I don't see this game having near the replayability legs that previous entries did.

14 hours and I dont even know who that is. Either you already played the game, you are rushing / not exploring or you are incredible at souls games and are 1 shotting every boss I guess, and none of those applies to the majority of the player base

anyway,
Deacons
down. Kinda bummed that, as much as I loved the zone, there doesnt seem to be a purpose to it? I mean its a dead end...I guess I got this
doll
which Ill need later?

Audioboxer

Awman,
Patches is in the game
. I didn't know. NPC spoiler.

First time I met
him he trapped me in Firelink Shrine.

Not sure if
his
questline starts earlier than this, but that was my first meeting. Out of the blue! <3 From. My brain is dreading worrying about all these questlines, but I'll do a wiki guide playthrough for stuff I miss/mess up.

zma1013

The blue tearstone ring says it increases damage absorption. Is that just poorly worded? Why would I want to take more damage?

purg3

slept with Malkin
what do you guys think of the curved big sword that comes off the
aggroing npc in road of sacrifices? just before farron keep? is that worth using?
the moveset looks promising.

Exile Greatsword?

I used it for a good portion of the game, but I switched to the Dark Sword for the last portion of the game.

I love the moveset and it's fast for its weapon type, just wasn't cutting it for me on the later bosses.

vaderise

So how is the PS4 version? Do i need to hold myself for some patches or just dive in? I don't mind some minor performance issues as long as they don't hurt gameplay itself (Like AC:Unity).

GorillaJu

Awman,
Patches is in the game
. I didn't know. NPC spoiler.

First time I met
him he trapped me in Firelink Shrine.

Not sure if
his
questline starts earlier than this, but that was my first meeting. Out of the blue! <3 From. My brain is dreading worrying about all these questlines, but I'll do a wiki guide playthrough for stuff I miss/mess up.

His quest line starts earlier but it's hard to activate. It's INCREDIBLE though if you can find it. I <3 the DS3 quests so much.

I couldn't find it my first playthrough signed.

Ferr986

They did change it. You can read about it here.

It seems much better this way. Reading up on how it worked in DSII, sounds really stupid.

Thanks!
Wasn't that bad in DS2, it was about not leveling VIT at all. Although it's true that probably makes more sense here, cause is not tied on what you level.

She was the boss in the beta version. I think it was awesome as fuck , although maybe they buffed/changed her in release? It was hard yeah, you really need to step up your dodges, I would advice to forget block if you're doing it, also learn her movements because they can be very erratic. And run the fuck out of her when she uses the spin2win.

Impulsor

Infuse it heavy yes. Late game if you pump dex into it, refined will get more dmg out of it. At +10 with 40 STR and 40 DEX, the CKGS is 275+219 with Heavy, 266+288 Refined, and 297+237 Normal. Essentially, early game heavy, late game refined.

For what it's worth, BKUGS +5 is 322+290 (non-infusable). I use the BKUGS.

thanks for that info.

Auctopus

I definitely think
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
will be a Marmite boss. I really thought it was cheap when I was fighting it but when I beat it I liked the atmosphere and design. But yes, some of the attacks are bullshit.

wait wait mid game again

that actually _is_ Anor Londo What!?

Yes. People who feel they are in mid-game, do not click this spoiler.

Audioboxer

His quest line starts earlier but it's hard to activate. It's INCREDIBLE though if you can find it. I <3 the DS3 quests so much.

I couldn't find it my first playthrough signed.

Thought as much, it was a bit of an abrupt intro. Hope I haven't missed any gestures/items, but as I said if so I'll clean everything up in NG+.

This is turning out to be the true DS sequel we needed, with lots of fan loving.

GorillaJu

The blue tearstone ring says it increases damage absorption. Is that just poorly worded? Why would I want to take more damage?

It increases defense. It's poorly worded.

Thought as much, it was a bit of an abrupt intro. Hope I haven't missed any gestures/items, but as I said if so I'll clean everything up in NG+.

This is turning out to be the true DS sequel we needed, with lots of fan loving.

No gestures or items missed. Just a funny scene and good dialog.

I must be doing things wrong. I'm like level 20 and some of these guys like the big asshole with the axe are just too much. I can't seem to make progress as fast as previous souls games. Even the lothric knights are whooping me.

Vuze

Is there anyway to refill your estus flasks other then resting at a bonfire? It seems doing co-op doesn't do so.
I think it is "randomly" refills after beating a certain amount of enemies or something. I haven't found any pattern though.
Also it's not a badly designed boss you just gotta roll it well. I actually love that boss myself.
Yeah, I didn't think it was bad at all. Was kinda anxious because of how badly people talked about it but once you knew how to avoid the eternal spin it wasn't a particularly bad fight imo.
So what's the go with these fucked up things stealing my health in
Irithyll Dungeon
?
Yeah, those are the worst! I fear for having to visiting the location again to get to an optional area later on...

I must be doing things wrong. I'm like level 20 and some of these guys like the big asshole with the axe are just too much. I can't seem to make progress as fast as previous souls games. Even the lothric knights are whooping me.

Individual enemies are definitely tougher and they slowed progression down with upgrades it seems

GorillaJu

Lothric knights are no joke. The big guy with the axe, try hugging him and circling to his right (your left) then rolling under his swings. When you get behind him he's open for backstabs. If he casts his spell that's another backstab opportunity

Your level isn't an indication of your ability to kill stuff so much. Your skill and knowledge through trial and error are more important. Weapon upgrades and stats help but patience and game knowledge arent stats you can level up at the fire keeper. :)

mulac

So how is the PS4 version? Do i need to hold myself for some patches or just dive in? I don't mind some minor performance issues as long as they don't hurt gameplay itself (Like AC:Unity).

Dive in. I'm playing on both PC and PS4 with PlayStation my main game...no problems yet (Although smoothly silk movement doesn't compare to 60fps).

Sylas

17 hours and I dont even know who that is. Either you already played the game, you are rushing / not exploring or you are incredible at souls games and are 1 shotting every boss I guess, and none of those applies to the majority of the player base

anyway,
Deacons
down. Kinda bummed that, as much as I loved the zone, there doesnt seem to be a purpose to it? I mean its a dead end...I guess I got this
doll
which Ill need later?

You
need the doll, yes. If you read the description for it, you'll get a hint as to why you needed it. You can get to the area that requires it before getting the doll but it's not terribly obvious.

Luigiv

Is there anyway to refill your estus flasks other then resting at a bonfire? It seems doing co-op doesn't do so.

It seems killing strong enemies will sometimes give you an additional flask but I'm not 100% sure what rule actually governs that. My hunch is that it only happens the first time you kill that particular spawn but that's just speculation.

s.

I knew someone was missing when I killed enemies!
Also does anyone know why you sometimes get random health fills? I haven't left any messages on the ground and it is a good boon but no idea why it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom