• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

After defeating a boss it said embers restored and my character was all badass glowing with fire.

Can anyone elaborate what this is or does exactly please? ^_^

More health and being able to summon people to coop, also open to invaders.

You lose it after dying and can get it back after defeating a boss (solo or coop) or using an ember.

I got the second boss's soul and there's something I want from it. Anyone know when/where/who to give the soul to in order to get the equipment from it?

Audioboxer

I'm up to tree boss and using an uchi where do I start obtaining gems to infuse this thing? I know they are lizard drops but this is after where I'm at I take it? Also is closest bonfire to tree boss
that one before that one area where you get spears tossed at you?

IIRC the sharp gem can be obtained in the area before that boss from a lizard. Assuming you want to boost dex scaling.

Impulsor

I am using a +2 Greataxe!

So far it's been really good but i am only at the fourth boss.I am pretty sure that it can take us until the end no problem.

I see GS and UGS are really popular but I kinda wanna go ahead with the great axe.

So yeah. Thanks for that!

masterkajo

Previous souls games did that, Didn't you get a flask if someone beat the boss in the area you're in or something?
In dark Souls 1 you get an Estus flask if someone Kindles a bonfire. Don't think there is something like this in the second. I have no idea about the third game since I just started.

Auctopus

Would be great if anyone could answer this. (Don't really consider it a spoiler)

The Black Leather Armor in the game has the following description...

Black dyed leather armor. Enables its wearer to hide in the shadows with silent finesse.

The wearer of this fine attire was admired by friends and enemies alike, for his skills were unmatched, and his heart was true as gold. As its new owner, you have quite the shoes to fill.

Why does this standard armor have such an embellished description? Does anyone know who the game is talking about?

black_leather_armor.png

Derpot

Fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!!!
Dancer
is such a horribly designed boss! I have wasted 20 ember on this piece of shit! Guys..please do I need to defeat this shit to progress the game? Also how do I get the doll?

I definitely think
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
will be a Marmite boss. I really thought it was cheap when I was fighting it but when I beat it I liked the atmosphere and design. But yes, some of the attacks are bullshit.

Uh, question:

Can you actually fight
very early in the game?

Because I only fought that boss after beating the 3rd Lord of Cinder
Yhorm the Giant
and I beat it on my first try. Didn't think it wasn't that terrible (but the atmosphere and design are so good).

purg3

slept with Malkin
In dark Souls 1 you get an Estus flask if someone Kindles a bonfire. Don't think there is something like this in the second. I have no idea about the third game since I just started.

That's what I was think of, couldn't remember if it was that or if they rung a bell in the area you were in.

Anybody read the manual? The "If you get frustrated" part is amazing in a sense that it runs completely contrary to the obnoxious ad campaign...That's something that should be somewhere in ads, to crack the generated "git gud try hard" reputation these games have.

I'm 7 hours in and it's fucking great, but man, it just ain't no Bloodborne. And this is coming from someone whose favourite game is unequivocally Dark Souls 1.

It just doesn't quite add up, when you assess the games chronologically. BB was such a great evolution in gameplay - such a refinement. The way it moved, the flow, the way it animated, the weapon transformations... It all came together so brilliantly.

I just can't help but think that DS3 feels like a "stepping stone", so to speak, to Bloodborne; as if BB was the game From always wanted to make. Kinda like an "oh, they've gone back to that, have they? Hmm. Okay" feeling.

I understand that all styles of Soulsborne have their place, but BB represents the finest iteration of the formula in my eyes.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone explain the upgrade system to me?

I started off with a fire gem because I thought, hey, cool, I can get a fire weapon early on. But I'm reading online that it lessens base damage of the weapon. Is it still worth it then?

Also, should I bother to do an upgrade for my straight sword? Because I am going to be moving on to the first great/ultra great sword I find. Is that super far off, or am I going to be sticking with the Straight and True for a while?

Also, how far off is the Cathedral Knight area in particular?

Anyone?

It seems largely random but any human enemy seems able to restore a charge when you kill them.

Styles

Just arrived at that area with the breathe-taking vistas. I don't know how From does it, but they've managed top to Bloodborne.

OVDRobo

Uh, question:

Can you actually fight
very early in the game?

Because I only fought that boss after beating the 3rd Lord of Cinder
Yhorm the Giant
and I beat it on my first try. Didn't think it wasn't that terrible (but the atmosphere and design are so good).

Yes, you can fight that boss early if you happen to accidentally slip your weapon into the person that it is locked behind so she drops the item to unlock it. It's a tough fight that early on.

Isn't it somehow pointless to rest at bonfires to get your weapons fixed? I mean, when I die I have to rest at respawn to repair my weapons... is a minuscule thing but can't stop thinking is pointless, it should be repaired at respawn or not at all.

The basic idea is that different type of damage scales with different stats and some types of damage serve other purpose. To make infusing more of a side grade, yes, base damage is reduced, but it comes compensated with other benefits. Basically, it depends on the build you are going for.

Dmax3901

Is the irithyll straight sword worth pumping twinkling titanite into ? Been using Butcher's Knife and Claymore so far, but i would like to try a faster weapon and i like the look of the sword.

I've just put my first lot of four twinkling titanite into it and haven't regretted it.

valkyre

I am sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I hear about patches and that said patches address the framerate issues, is that true?

Has the framerate been improved via patch? Btw PS4 version if that makes any difference.

Neoweee

What upgrades for what part of the game really depends on your build.

If you are pumping Vigor and Endurance in the early game, then somehting like a Fire gem could give you a damage burst, because your STR/DEX are negligible contributions to your damage.

Once you start pumping any of the four offensive stats, then the other Imbues are likely to be better.

Derpot

Yes, you can fight that boss early if you happen to accidentally slip your weapon into the person that it is locked behind so she drops the item to unlock it. It's a tough fight that early on.

Oh my, does it mean you can actually go to
Lothric Castle
early in the game?

Nose Master

Pretty disappointed with NPC loot in this. I usually whole hog murder everyone I meet in these games, and I haven't gotten diddly of note yet. The only people alive still are the old bitty, leveling herald, andre, and infusion kid. Annnnd the
puppy. But I'm not sure if he's technically alive.

Is it possible to kill the herald / leveling girl? I'd like to vent my frustrations on an immortal god ala Bloodborn if possible. :V

noomi

Makes you look awesome and gives mad HP boost until you die. I think it also has something to do with co-op if I'm remembering right, but I haven't done coop yet, so I can't say.

You are now kindled meaning you get a health buff and can summon help. It's like the human and hollow forms of the past Dark Souls games. You lose those perks if you die.

When you are embered, you have a hp boost, can see summoning signs to summon co-op players to help, and you can also be invaded by other players looking to pvp you.

More health and being able to summon people to coop, also open to invaders.

You lose it after dying and can get it back after defeating a boss (solo or coop) or using an ember.

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone :) Very cool!

So the only way for me to be able to summon coop help would be to first defeat a boss? Dang...

Vitten

Upgrading with a fire gem splits your weapon's damage in base damage + fire damage.

The base damage will be lower but the added fire damage will create an increase in total damage output depending on the enemy's resistance.

For instance a sword with 120 base damage will probably be split in something like 100 base dmg + 100 fire dmg. So unless the enemy is fire resistent you still gain 80 damage.

Neoweee

Lothric Castle
early in the game?

What you can do if you do that thing:

- Lothric Castle through DA
- The next zone after that is locked until you are supposed to be there.
- You can do the two short optional zones around that area as well, but goddamn are the bosses hard if your damage output hasn't taken off yet.

I played the JP version normally, and am doing this after 1 Lord is down.

zma1013

Would be great if anyone could answer this. (Don't really consider it a spoiler)

The Black Leather Armor in the game has the following description...

Why does this standard armor have such an embellished description? Does anyone know who the game is talking about?

black_leather_armor.png

I think it's a troll description. If you've played Demons or Dark 1, the character
Patches
wears this armor, and well, you already know about him...

So the only way for me to be able to summon coop help would be to first defeat a boss? Dang...

You can also use these things called embers. You find them decently often and you can buy them for about 2000 souls as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Is there something I have to do in order for my lighting setting to stay at low? Every time I boot up the game it resets and I end up crashing.

I'm 7 hours in and it's fucking great, but man, it just ain't no Bloodborne. And this is coming from someone whose favourite game is unequivocally Dark Souls 1.

It just doesn't quite add up, when you assess the games chronologically. BB was such a great evolution in gameplay - such a refinement. The way it moved, the flow, the way it animated, the weapon transformations... It all came together so brilliantly.

I just can't help but think that DS3 feels like a "stepping stone", so to speak, to Bloodborne; as if BB was the game From always wanted to make. Kinda like an "oh, they've gone back to that, have they? Hmm. Okay" feeling.

I understand that all styles of Soulsborne have their place, but BB represents the finest iteration of the formula in my eyes.

opposite for me.

DS3 is the best playing game theyve done, IMO

OVDRobo

Lothric Castle
early in the game?

I'd assume so, if you can actually beat the boss that early on. I did it the conventional way later on, but I guess the ladder would fall if you managed. Could make for some real fun times for sure.

Ferr986

No, you can use an ember item too. They drops from some mobs, you probably have some of them

zma1013

Or use an ember or put down your white sign, summon into someone else's game, and help them beat their boss.

This is going to sound stupid but where do you go after you get to the first castle area with the black smith and lady you level up with your souls? I didn't have very long to play but wandered around and couldn't find the next path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom