• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm where you are now. There Is a boss in the area you can find by going Back to the bonfire with the bridge and following the path forward a bit.

You can also skip and go to the next area by
going down on the elevator you used to meet the "onion" guy

I've done that
boss! I'll go down the elevator, completely forgot about that. Thanks!

So there is nothing after beating the
fire monster with Onion man?

Previous souls games did that, Didn't you get a flask if someone beat the boss in the area you're in or something?

They did? I guess have been a little bit late to the party in the past then. Never noticed it before, at least not to this extent where I'm refilling faster than I can use them.

after learning my PC cant run this game and getting a refund im thinking of getting it for xbox one. How's the performance since the latest patch? Was it improved like the PS4 version.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just downed
High Lord Wolnir
on my 3rd try, I really needed an easy boss after wiping for 2 hours on the
Abyss Watchers
yesterday.

I've done that
boss! I'll go down the elevator, completely forgot about that. Thanks!

So there is nothing after beating the
fire monster with Onion man?

There might be something, but I couldn't find anything while briefly looking around. There are some enemies and loot, but nothing substantial. I may have missed something though.

Auctopus

I gotta say, even after preparing with DS2, DS3 just feels harder. The regular enemies are harder(and smarter) than in DS2.

The main thing I noticed when going through the game was how much health everything takes off, even when you have high vigor. Despite being the easiest Souls game overall, it's probably the most unforgiving at times. Stamina also depletes insanely quickly.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Maybe you're respecting enemies too much. Sometimes it's easier to just walk around their sides than it is to try and dodge everything from head on

Strafing doesn't seem to work too well because of their shield bash.
tricking them to following you into the path of dragon fire and getting burned to death has been the most effective strategy, but that solution is really limited in scope

There might be something, but I couldn't find anything while briefly looking around. There are some enemies and loot, but nothing substantial. I may have missed something though.

Just found some really cool stuff. Do this:
After going up a building, in the area after beating the fire monster with Onion man, walk around on the rooftops. You will see a tower on your right on which you can roll on its balcony. Get the Homeward Bones, and inside, you will see that you can roll on to the opposite ledge. Roll off again and enjoy your sweet Mirrah gear and Chloranty Ring!

Nephtes

after learning my PC cant run this game and getting a refund im thinking of getting it for xbox one. How's the performance since the latest patch? Was it improved like the PS4 version.

I'm 25% in and the only area with absolutely noticible slowdown constantly is the starting area with all the fog on Xbox.

There are hitches here and there, but compared to Bloodborne's WTF crazy town frame pacing issue, I can handle the minor hitch here and there much better.

With frame pacing problems, Bloodborne seemed to lurch forward on me at random times. With Dark Souls 3, I'm not experiencing that... More like every now and then the world slows down. It's more manageable that way.

That's how I'm rationalizing it anyway.

Just found some really cool stuff. Do this:
After going up a building, in the area after beating the fire monster with Onion man, walk around on the rooftops. You will see a tower on your right on which you can roll on its balcony. Get the Homeward Bones, and inside, you will see that you can roll on to the opposite ledge. Roll off again and enjoy your sweet Mirrah gear and Chloranty Ring!

Oh damn! Thanks for telling me. I'll head back there then ^^.

Denzar

Every weapon have a special Hability?

Every class of weapons does, yes.

With axes, for exemple, you buff your attack power for a limited time. Short swords give you a two handed stance from which you can launch a devastating light and heavy attack.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Is the irithyll straight sword worth pumping twinkling titanite into ? Been using Butcher's Knife and Claymore so far, but i would like to try a faster weapon and i like the look of the sword.

Auctopus

Is the irithyll straight sword worth pumping twinkling titanite into ? Been using Butcher's Knife and Claymore so far, but i would like to try a faster weapon and i like the look of the sword.

Not really. Twinkling is best left for the better shields in the game.

Not feeling this game as much as bloodborne. Really loved bloodborne i rate it 9.5/10. This one feels a bit on the slow side for me. My first dark souls game BTW. I guess I really have to get used to the blocking mechanics. Also I miss the idea of getting a chance to get my lost life back immediately after I get hit.

GulAtiCa

I'm curious. As a Pyro, where will I find my next Pyro spell? I only have my starting one still. Want to make sure I'm not overlooking an area/etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmmm

from the top of the
spear chucking giant
tower, you can see a square with a huge
humanoid-looking dragon thing
walking around, if that is still undead settlement, how the fuck do you reach that place?

Nephtes

Not feeling this game as much as bloodborne. Really loved bloodborne i rate it 9.5/10. This one feels a bit on the slowe side for me. My first dark souls game BTW. I guess I really have to get used to the blocking mechanics. Also I miss the idea of getting a chance to get my lost life back immediately after I get hit.

In response, I'm feeling this game much more than Bloodborne.
The pace of combat is more tactile and heavy.
You have actual viable builds besides "melee guy".
Playstyle customization in Dark Souls is through the roof... In Bloodborne, you pick the starting axe and spin to win the rest of the game.

Honestly, the only thing I'm missing from Bloodborne is the character getting completely covered in blood during combat...

I certainly am not missing Bloodborne's awful frame pacing issues.

blahness

hmmm

from the top of the
spear chucking giant
walking around, if that is still undead settlement, how the fuck do you reach that place?

You can access it
from the tower elevator by jumping off onto the platform mid travel

Soulflarz

Banned
Best thing that happened last night

*sees picture, loves it, turns hud off and kneels to take screenshot*
*instantly gets a dragon arrow into my back cleaving me down to 1/3rd health with no flasks left

Baited so hard.

hmmm

from the top of the
spear chucking giant

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then
When you ride the elevator to meet up with the giant, you should hear a "hmmm" try and get off around there, there should be a platform for you to jump on.

Ok this has been bugging me for a while now. Why does my Estus Flask keep refilling without returning to the bonfire? I don't remember getting refills in the field with the other games.

I played the xb1 version so I couldn't play online and this happened to me too. So there's no way that this happened because somebody rated a message I wrote, also it's not possible either that someone lighted a bonfire I rested at previously. If someone rates one of your messages your health bar is replenished but you don't get one more estus. To me, it seems that estus replenishment is tied to time, as in every x minutes you get one more estus.

Not feeling this game as much as bloodborne. Really loved bloodborne i rate it 9.5/10. This one feels a bit on the slow side for me. My first dark souls game BTW. I guess I really have to get used to the blocking mechanics. Also I miss the idea of getting a chance to get my lost life back immediately after I get hit.

There should be a ring later in the game that does this. i could be wrong though

In response, I'm feeling this game much more than Bloodborne.
The pace of combat is more tactile and heavy.
You have actual viable builds besides "melee guy".
Playstyle customization in Dark Souls is through the roof... In Bloodborne, you pick the starting axe and spin to win the rest of the game.

Honestly, the only thing I'm missing from Bloodborne is the character getting completely covered in blood during combat...

I certainly am not missing Bloodborne's awful frame pacing issues.

Are you still playing on PS4? I'm not finding the performance to be much better in this game than in bloodborne.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then
When you ride the elevator to meet up with the giant, you should hear a "hmmm" try and get off around there, there should be a platform for you to jump on.
You can access it
from the tower elevator by jumping off onto the platform mid travel

thanks. I just tried to fight a similar looking guy at that
bridge when you go up the elevator from the wolf covenent tower
, and my god o_O

noomi

After defeating a boss it said embers restored and my character was all badass glowing with fire.

Can anyone elaborate what this is or does exactly please? ^_^

I'm playing it on Xbox and performance is pretty mediocre. It's definitely not game breaking nor does it get in the way of the fun whatsoever, it's just noticable.

Forkball

Server just went down for me. Hope it saved that Raw Gem I got.

Had my first invasion as well. A purple dude invaded but (HWOL spoilers)
he lost most of his HP to the dragon flame.

zma1013

Yeah it has s bit of different sort of focus going on. More defensive play, more observing enemy moves required, and because there is no refilling of your estus between fires, you really have to prove that you've mastered an area so you can get to the end of it and still have estus left to fight the boss.

I'm up to tree boss and using an uchi where do I start obtaining gems to infuse this thing? I know they are lizard drops but this is after where I'm at I take it? Also is closest bonfire to tree boss
that one before that one area where you get spears tossed at you?

I played the xb1 version so I couldn't play online and this happened to me too. So there's no way that this happened because somebody rated a message I wrote, also it's not possible either that someone lighted a bonfire I rested at previously. If someone rates one of your messages your health bar is replenished but you don't get one more estus. To me, it seems that estus replenishment is tied to time, as in every x minutes you get one more estus.
That's weird, first I've heard of that and I haven't noticed it in my short play time. Do you still have just the 4 flasks (or combination of 4)that you start with? Have you upgraded them at all?

After defeating a boss it said embers restored and my character was all badass glowing with fire.

Makes you look awesome and gives mad HP boost until you die. I think it also has something to do with co-op if I'm remembering right, but I haven't done coop yet, so I can't say.

Strafing doesn't seem to work too well because of their shield bash.
tricking them to following you into the path of dragon fire and getting burned to death has been the most effective strategy, but that solution is really limited in scope

Generally speaking with all those bigger guys straight sword stance light attack will go through their block and open them to one or two swings. Also just backing up and baiting an attack followed by a 2-hand thrust works well. If want to give it a try and have it the claymore stance light attack will guard break and setup riposte style counterattack if they have their shield up and aren't at full stamina themselves. In terms of the
abyss corrupted hollows
learn which one it is and just run in to kill it before it becomes a problem. If it does become problematic just back up to the ladder let it get to you and do a falling attack.

Gave up on Sorcerer and rolled a Warrior. Started out rough but once I got myself a Longsword (love quicker weapons like this) I was plowing through things. 1st 3 bosses down rather easily. Now I'm really enjoying this game.

zma1013

You are now kindled meaning you get a health buff and can summon help. It's like the human and hollow forms of the past Dark Souls games. You lose those perks if you die.

Nephtes

Are you still playing on PS4? I'm not finding the performance to be much better in this game than in bloodborne.

Absolutely not.
I play all my multiplats on Xbox (Achievements, friends, controller, etc.).

Slowdown, absolutely. It happens rarely, but 25% in, it hasn't been game breaking. Nothing approaching Blighttown in Dark Souls 1.

Wonktastic frames being thrown massively out of order like Bloodborne where time LURCHES forward? No. I haven't seen that yet. Thank God.

blahness

When you are embered, you have a hp boost, can see summoning signs to summon co-op players to help, and you can also be invaded by other players looking to pvp you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom