• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

The enemies with the pot seem to have pretty alright drop rates for Titanite Shards. That or I got extremely lucky.

Btw where does Onion Bro chill after you talk to him on that elevator? I talked to him a couple times but it seems I didn't do it quite right. Now he's gone and he didn't take me demon hunting :(

If you only met him on the elevator platform...

Start going up the elevator. Keep your sound on.

taybul

The enemies with the pot seem to have pretty alright drop rates for Titanite Shards. That or I got extremely lucky.

Btw where does Onion Bro chill after you talk to him on that elevator? I talked to him a couple times but it seems I didn't do it quite right. Now he's gone and he didn't take me demon hunting :(

Did you already talk to the giant? He moves after that but not on an elevator stop...

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm equipping blade of darkmoon currently and just beat the host and again got a tongue

don't know what caused the bug in my game.

I have like 50 tongues and nothing else as far as covenant items go lol.
You only get Darkmoon covenant items if you're summoned as a Darkmoon specifically.

Sullichin

Speaking of doors and stuff I am so glad you are invincible while opening doors/pulling levers in this game again. Was so annoying in DS2.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
oh so I need to be summoned for that and not invade with my red orb? then what a bout mound makers?

They're invaders, so you get vertebrae when invading as mound maker. The weird thing is you get sun medallions for invading as a sunbro, but they didn't do that for darkmoons.

Audioboxer

I love how From put a little ledge down to go and farm what I think is the first
Black Knight
. Used up coins and nothing :(

Anyone know where the ring for
item find
is?

Noticed something really awesome in High wall of lothric. I was using a bow on the buffed up guy around the fountain while standing on a little roof and I got a call so I was idling. He took the stairs and dropped down on me, never saw that happening in previous games.

Freeman76

If you only met him on the elevator platform...

Start going up the elevator. Keep your sound on.

I only managed to get the elevator to go up once. I spoke to the giant, and on the way down noticed there was a spot you could roll out to halfway down, so I tried and fell to my death. Now when I go to the lift it only goes down.

I only managed to get the elevator to go up once. I spoke to the giant, and on the way down noticed there was a spot you could roll out to halfway down, so I tried and fell to my death. Now when I go to the lift it only goes down.

It's a double lift. Roll across it to make it go down, then jump on the upper cart.

This game is so much better than 2 it's ridiculous. I love how tightly wound every area is, really makes exploration feel rewarding as opposed to 2's often barren and wide early zones. I've joked in the past that a perfect Souls game would be the front half of 1 and the back half of 2 bolted together; 3 sorts feels like them plus Bloodborne and DeS in a blender rather than bolted together. People commenting that it feels like a "best of" in many ways are right.

This has a couple of caveats though; I feel like the mystery is slightly lessened, for one. I bitched a lot about how 2 kept dangling references to the original game in your face going "eh? eh??" so some of the self-referential stuff in 3 is a bit eye-rolly for me. The best callbacks are the more subtle things like level design cues, or moments where the game feels like it's referencing more abstract ideas from the previous games rather than the specific events.

I did feel a big nostalgia swell climbing that ladder in (area/enemy spoilers)
Farron Keep and stepping out onto that very Dark Souls wall and seeing the Stray Demon. Also, while fighting the Stray Demon, I managed to hack its legs off, which results in this really alarming and sad new animation set where it writhes around and wails.
There's a lot of that in this game: so many enemies and characters just seem anguished, tired, and desperate. There is so much screaming and crying in this game. Everyone is goddamn done with this world. They take it out on you with wild unpredictable attacks; in the area I'm currently in, they take it out on each other -
there's even a boss fight that starts with a bunch of enemies infighting amongst piles and piles of corpses
. Where DeS and DaS felt like mournful, defeated worlds full of sorrow and evil that had settled in, 3 (so far) feels like a world that is just pissed off that this is happening again. The whole game feels a lot like an emotional second wind, or the last burst of energy before collapse.

The horror elements in this one are far more overt than they've been in the past too. There's the constant screaming, for one thing, but the imagery is even more grotesque than Bloodborne in many ways. The most common theme is bodies - there are just piles of bodies everywhere in this game. (enemy and location spoilers)
Burning bodies, mutilated bodies, bodies of fallen warriors, crucified bodies, stacked bodies, bodies in cages, ANGRY SCREAMING bodies in cages that literally fling their rancid shit at you, hanging bodies, an overstuffed ossuary full of skeletons - including literal balls of skeletons that roll around and scream
. It's like the most nightmarish realization of the cliche "hell is full" cliche possible. Every previous Souls game had an area with these ghoulish displays of mass death, but they were typically buried underneath the relatively empty and solemn rest of the world, a grim reality hidden away to be discovered. In 3, that decay is everywhere, and unavoidable.

Part of this, I'm sure, is just advances in technology allowing From to go all out filling out their game. However, it still feels thematically appropriate - this is a far more potent and shocking portrayal of apocalypse than we've seen in any of their other games. It really does feel like a grand conclusion going out with a bang rather than wallowing in the more murky, mysterious quietude of the previous games. I also can't help but feel like, whether purposeful or accidental, the imagery of untold death and fury is slightly meta. This is the third (or really fifth) and final time around, and at this point players have hurled themselves at death so many times there are just piles upon piles of corpses littering the world, and the ones who aren't dead are angry.

I dunno man. I like this game.

Without spoilers how far into the game until you get an item that increases item discovery? The fashion is calling me.

You can find the
symbol of avarice
(item name only) at the high wall of Lothric if you run past the
dragon
(enemy type) and into a room. Not sure what you constitute as a spoiler :p

One thing I've always hated were fucking dogs. In Bloodborne and now DD3 dogs stagger you so much and it's the dumbest thing when they're in a group. The player is essentially stunlocked and that pisses me off.

Question for the swamp area

So there are 3 towers where I can turn the light off to open a big door. I turned off two of them, but the third one seems to be very far away Is it still in that area or will I get to it naturally?

Freeman76

So what level were people when they got to Farron Keep? Im 35 right now.

Around 36 when I beat it, farmed the bosses for a bit and was level 39 by the time I went to the next area. Didn't beat the optional Stray Demon though, he kicked my arse I'm coming back for him.

aravuus

One thing I've always hated were fucking dogs. In Bloodborne and now DD3 dogs stagger you so much and it's he dumbest thing when they're in a group. The player is essentially stunlocked and that pisses me off.

Yeah, fuck dogs. Can't imagine how annoying they'd be without a shield lol

Sane_Man

Man, getting to rank 30 in Blade of the Darkmoon covenant is gonna be in a pain in the arse. I've had it equipped since I got it a few hours ago and I've not been summoned once. It was the same with the Blue Sentinels.

I read you can farm the knights in the area and I tried that for a while with rusted coins but got zero.

Around 36 when I beat it, farmed the bosses for a bit and was level 39 by the time I went to the next area. Didn't beat the optional Stray Demon though, he kicked my arse I'm coming back for him.

Cool im 37 right now and just found the covenant. Dont wanna out level the community and not find any online action.

usp84

So there are 3 towers where I can turn the light off to open a big door. I turned off two of them, but the third one seems to be very far away Is it still in that area or will I get to it naturally?

All 3 are in the same large area

J-Rod

Can you spoil the optional area and where it is please?:D

Right before Wolnir's boss room you cross a wooden bridge. Attack the bridge and it collapses into a ladder. After descending the ladder, either run past the electric worm or bait the trebuchet thingy into breaking the floor near the center of the map. You can also bait it into destroying a hidden wall with a ring and the worm monster.

Vuze

Yeah one is a bit further away, iirc close to a certain ladder and bonfire, but all are in the swamp area.

taybul

One thing I've always hated were fucking dogs. In Bloodborne and now DD3 dogs stagger you so much and it's the dumbest thing when they're in a group. The player is essentially stunlocked and that pisses me off.

If it makes you feel any better, so can the rats. The dogs are less predictable here than in BB.

I'm loving the new moveset on some of these returning enemies.

ymgve

I'm putting my sunbro sign down at the entrance to the AW boss, but it always takes a long time before I'm summoned. Am I overleveled, or do I need to do some specific network configuration? I'm level 51.

Zeliard

Heh, I wish I realized beforehand that you can choose to "protect" whichever messages you lay down to keep them from disappearing. If that mechanic was in the previous games I totally missed it.

I've had a couple popular ones I would have liked to keep.

This game is so much better than 2 it's ridiculous. I love how tightly wound every area is, really makes exploration feel rewarding as opposed to 2's often barren and wide early zones. I've joked in the past that a perfect Souls game would be the front half of 1 and the back half of 2 bolted together; 3 sorts feels like them plus Bloodborne and DeS in a blender rather than bolted together. People commenting that it feels like a "best of" in many ways are right.

This has a couple of caveats though; I feel like the mystery is slightly lessened, for one. I bitched a lot about how 2 kept dangling references to the original game in your face going "eh? eh??" so some of the self-referential stuff in 3 is a bit eye-rolly for me. The best callbacks are the more subtle things like level design cues, or moments where the game feels like it's referencing more abstract ideas from the previous games rather than the specific events.

Farron Keep and stepping out onto that very Dark Souls wall and seeing the Stray Demon. Also, while fighting the Stray Demon, I managed to hack its legs off, which results in this really alarming and sad new animation set where it writhes around and wails.
There's a lot of that in this game: so many enemies and characters just seem anguished, tired, and desperate. There is so much screaming and crying in this game. Everyone is goddamn done with this world. They take it out on you with wild unpredictable attacks; in the area I'm currently in, they take it out on each other -
there's even a boss fight that starts with a bunch of enemies infighting amongst piles and piles of corpses
. Where DeS and DaS felt like mournful, defeated worlds full of sorrow and evil that had settled in, 3 (so far) feels like a world that is just pissed off that this is happening again. The whole game feels a lot like an emotional second wind, or the last burst of energy before collapse.

The horror elements in this one are far more overt than they've been in the past too. There's the constant screaming, for one thing, but the imagery is even more grotesque than Bloodborne in many ways. The most common theme is bodies - there are just piles of bodies everywhere in this game. (enemy and location spoilers)
Burning bodies, mutilated bodies, bodies of fallen warriors, crucified bodies, stacked bodies, bodies in cages, ANGRY SCREAMING bodies in cages that literally fling their rancid shit at you, hanging bodies, an overstuffed ossuary full of skeletons - including literal balls of skeletons that roll around and scream
. It's like the most nightmarish realization of the cliche "hell is full" cliche possible. Every previous Souls game had an area with these ghoulish displays of mass death, but they were typically buried underneath the relatively empty and solemn rest of the world, a grim reality hidden away to be discovered. In 3, that decay is everywhere, and unavoidable.

Part of this, I'm sure, is just advances in technology allowing From to go all out filling out their game. However, it still feels thematically appropriate - this is a far more potent and shocking portrayal of apocalypse than we've seen in any of their other games. It really does feel like a grand conclusion going out with a bang rather than wallowing in the more murky, mysterious quietude of the previous games. I also can't help but feel like, whether purposeful or accidental, the imagery of untold death and fury is slightly meta. This is the third (or really fifth) and final time around, and at this point players have hurled themselves at death so many times there are just piles upon piles of corpses littering the world, and the ones who aren't dead are angry.

Nice write up, almost every area has some air iof defeat about it. Especially as you get to the last couple of levels, it's so sad

Nere

Right before Wolnir's boss room you cross a wooden bridge. Attack the bridge and it collapses into a ladder. After descending the ladder, either run past the electric worm or bait the trebuchet thingy into breaking the floor near the center of the map. You can also bait it into destroying a hidden wall with a ring and the worm monster.

So that's why the messages were saying ladder here but I was seeing no ladder.....

What the fuck is that
Giant dog demon thing
in the swamp.

I noped out of that area. It's in an area that is too deep to run, so fighting it seems pointless. Is it worth taking down?

rdytoroll

Lmao. Just invaded a guy called Guts and his companion and to my surprise there was another dark spirit. The other invader died after 2 seconds, so I got my Ass kicked. Almost killed Guts though, that was awesome

Edit. So I got the same guys again, they must hate me now lol

I'm putting my sunbro sign down at the entrance to the AW boss, but it always takes a long time before I'm summoned. Am I overleveled, or do I need to do some specific network configuration? I'm level 51.

Probably not too many people there yet. Deacons still has a Shit ton of summons around, the wave is just a behind you.

Nice post. I agree the game does a good job of paying homage to the previous Souls games. The level design and enemy design is so on point this time around, it's like the entire team really pulled all of their own experiences with the series to mould together this great game that thankfully doesn't feel like a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth" at all and if anything is the complete opposite, the game having three directors (one of which is new to the series) just means they creatively put together some really ingenuity on the aesthetics side as well the actual design side of things. The game just comes together so beautifully the more you play too. So glad to hear off folks in here that it justs stays this amazing throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom