• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychotron

You're teleported immediately to that player, and you don't lose anything if you or the host die.

You just return to where you were, and in my experience the game is better now about returning you to a state where you aren't gonna be stunlocked by ten enemies if you were fighting just before you were summoned.

That sounds great actually. Now are you summoned for PVP help, co-op campaign assistance, or just bosses.

Thanks for the info!

Onemic

I just started the game today and was trying to use the Ember I found in the tutorial stage to summon my friend to play coop, but I could not use it. "Use" was grayed out. Does anybody know why? I really wanted to play coop with my friend.

You have to beat the first boss

I did feel a big nostalgia swell climbing that ladder in (area/enemy spoilers)
Farron Keep and stepping out onto that very Dark Souls wall and seeing the Stray Demon. Also, while fighting the Stray Demon, I managed to hack its legs off, which results in this really alarming and sad new animation set where it writhes around and wails.

Once you hack off it's legs you can go around to the face and stab it in the mouth like a BB visceral too.

Zocano

I actually feel odd myself seeing so much DS1 references cause (DS2 somewhat spoilers)
it was supposed that old kingdoms disapeared, ended up forgotten and new kingdoms arised.

But yet everything in DS1 is back in full force again, like nothing happened. Astora, Catarina...

Unfortunately, Dark Souls 2 lore is
more or less ignored wholesale. With maybe one or two references at all.

cyba89

Finished the C
athedral Of The Deep
. Loved how big and interconnected this area was.
Deacons Of the Deep were a bit disappointing because that boss felt like a rehash of the Celestial Emissary from Bloodborne.
I guess my only way forward now is beating the
Abyss Watchers.
That will be tough.

I tried most of the classes and I think I actually like the warrior the most, I like the big axe.

What's the main difference between a Warrior and Knight? I take it the Knight is more tanky and less agile?

aravuus

I can see why people aren't fond of invading in this one. The game definitely seems to prioritize gank squads, can't seem to be able to invade a lone dude at all.

Jobbs

Banned
In JP, I tested Greater Lightning Spear, which even with 34 faith and a +6 catalyst was utterly useless. It did negligible damage and consumed way too much mana.

Now on my new faith character I got an offensive spell called "Gnaw". It's classified as a dark miracle.

It seems to do a ton more damage on its second consecutive hit. Notice how the knight's HP drops on the second hit. It also has a lower mana cost.

This test was conducted with only 22 faith and +2 catalyst because this character is still new. I think there's promise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
In JP, I tested Greater Lightning Spear, which even with 34 faith and a +6 catalyst was utterly useless. It did negligible damage and consumed way too much mana.

Now on my new faith character I got an offensive spell called "Gnaw". It's classified as a dark miracle.

It seems to do a ton more damage on its second consecutive hit. Notice how the knight's HP drops on the second hit.

It also has a lower mana cost.

This test was conducted with only 22 faith and +2 catalyst because this character is still new. I think there's promise.
Sweet analysis, I appreciate it!

Iorv3th

Wait, can you only summon one guy?

You can summon more. I had 3 summoned last night. (or maybe it was 2 and last guy disconnected or something)

There's a fair number on weapon and item descriptions (The Set of Want, and Mirrah), and a few (one?)
NPC invasions
. Something with one of the NPCs as well according to somebody, but I haven't seen it yet.

Well the maiden that sells items in firelink shrine is one of the old ladies at the start of dark souls 2. Same character model at least.

Neoweee

Unfortunately, Dark Souls 2 lore is
more or less ignored wholesale. With maybe one or two references at all.

There's a fair number on weapon and item descriptions (The Set of Want, and Mirrah), and a few (one?)
NPC invasions
. Something with one of the NPCs as well according to somebody, but I haven't seen it yet.

Lmao holy shit. I invaded someone with a Phantom and had them both down to a sliver of health. They started to run away and jumped off a small ledge that normally wouldn't kill you.

They all died on impact.

Fuck, the share button would be so useful right about now.

Zeliard

That sounds great actually. Now are you summoned for PVP help, co-op campaign assistance, or just bosses.

Thanks for the info!

Depends. Laying down a white soapstone summons you to another player's world (once they activate it) and they'll either want you to help them with a level or with a boss. If you put your sign in a boss area, it's likely they need help with a boss fight. If you put it near a bonfire or so, they might want help with a section of the level. They can also be invaded by another player while you're in there with them.

Blue Sentinels covenant summons you to other player worlds specifically to help them when they're invaded, so that's a bit different.

J-Rod

Is there a difference between leveling up on the F
ire
k
eeper
or the L
ondor guy (turtle guy)
?

Turtle guy does it for free but it adds to your hollowing/dark sign. How often you can get him to level you for free is based on your number of deaths. You may want to get 5 levels from him if you want to progress that storyline. You will also start to look hollow from dying if you accept levels from him.

aravuus

And now I'm fighting against two guys who are floating around. Ridiculous.

Makes dueling reeeally fucking hard when you don't know what the other guy is actually doing

Jobbs

Banned
Irinia (the blind miracle npc) vanished after expressing some concern over the dark miracles tome I gave her.

I've been wondering where she was and I figured it out.

I started looking around outside firelink and down near the opening boss fight (the undex guy or whatever) was Morne. He was pissed that I made her sell me dark miracles and he aggroed me. After I killed him I got his weapon, shield, and his armor is now being sold by the merchant at firelink. I also got Irina back. <3

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I accidentally killed the first lady merchant before buying the
tower key
. How screwed am I?

Okay I just saw a weapon I think you get from a boss soul,
from abyss watchers

It's a
greatsword and small dagger dual wield combo
. Is this thing good? Someone please tell me it's a good weapon...

This game is so much better than 2 it's ridiculous. I love how tightly wound every area is, really makes exploration feel rewarding as opposed to 2's often barren and wide early zones. I've joked in the past that a perfect Souls game would be the front half of 1 and the back half of 2 bolted together; 3 sorts feels like them plus Bloodborne and DeS in a blender rather than bolted together. People commenting that it feels like a "best of" in many ways are right.

This has a couple of caveats though; I feel like the mystery is slightly lessened, for one. I bitched a lot about how 2 kept dangling references to the original game in your face going "eh? eh??" so some of the self-referential stuff in 3 is a bit eye-rolly for me. The best callbacks are the more subtle things like level design cues, or moments where the game feels like it's referencing more abstract ideas from the previous games rather than the specific events.

I did feel a big nostalgia swell climbing that ladder in (area/enemy spoilers)
Farron Keep and stepping out onto that very Dark Souls wall and seeing the Stray Demon. Also, while fighting the Stray Demon, I managed to hack its legs off, which results in this really alarming and sad new animation set where it writhes around and wails.
There's a lot of that in this game: so many enemies and characters just seem anguished, tired, and desperate. There is so much screaming and crying in this game. Everyone is goddamn done with this world. They take it out on you with wild unpredictable attacks; in the area I'm currently in, they take it out on each other -
there's even a boss fight that starts with a bunch of enemies infighting amongst piles and piles of corpses
. Where DeS and DaS felt like mournful, defeated worlds full of sorrow and evil that had settled in, 3 (so far) feels like a world that is just pissed off that this is happening again. The whole game feels a lot like an emotional second wind, or the last burst of energy before collapse.

The horror elements in this one are far more overt than they've been in the past too. There's the constant screaming, for one thing, but the imagery is even more grotesque than Bloodborne in many ways. The most common theme is bodies - there are just piles of bodies everywhere in this game. (enemy and location spoilers)
Burning bodies, mutilated bodies, bodies of fallen warriors, crucified bodies, stacked bodies, bodies in cages, ANGRY SCREAMING bodies in cages that literally fling their rancid shit at you, hanging bodies, an overstuffed ossuary full of skeletons - including literal balls of skeletons that roll around and scream
. It's like the most nightmarish realization of the cliche "hell is full" cliche possible. Every previous Souls game had an area with these ghoulish displays of mass death, but they were typically buried underneath the relatively empty and solemn rest of the world, a grim reality hidden away to be discovered. In 3, that decay is everywhere, and unavoidable.

Part of this, I'm sure, is just advances in technology allowing From to go all out filling out their game. However, it still feels thematically appropriate - this is a far more potent and shocking portrayal of apocalypse than we've seen in any of their other games. It really does feel like a grand conclusion going out with a bang rather than wallowing in the more murky, mysterious quietude of the previous games. I also can't help but feel like, whether purposeful or accidental, the imagery of untold death and fury is slightly meta. This is the third (or really fifth) and final time around, and at this point players have hurled themselves at death so many times there are just piles upon piles of corpses littering the world, and the ones who aren't dead are angry.

I dunno man. I like this game.

Yep... this is pretty much my thoughts. Right on the money!

Wiseblood

I gave the Shrine Handmaiden "Dreamcatcher's Ashes".
She seemed unimpressed but asked me where I got them and I told her. Will that bite me in the ass later?

psychotron

Depends. Laying down a white soapstone summons you to another player's world (once they activate it) and they'll either want you to help them with a level or with a boss. If you put your sign in a boss area, it's likely they need help with a boss fight. If you put it near a bonfire or so, they might want help with a section of the level. They can also be invaded by another player while you're in there with them.

Blue Sentinels covenant summons you to other player worlds specifically to help them when they're invaded, so that's a bit different.

Thank you very much for explaining that. I'll have to try it out tonight.

Zocano

NPC invasions

I'm aware but those are really minute references that don't equate to anything really.

I accidentally killed the first lady merchant before buying the
tower key
. How screwed am I?

I thought all souls games had safeguards in place in case you killed important npcs

There must be a way
Also how are so many of you guys killing the NPCs lol

J-Rod

So what's in the tower if I buy the key from the firelink shrine vendor?

Loot and snuggly the crow. Notably there is the silver covetousness ring, an estus shard, a crystal lizard, fire keepers set, and cloranthy ring. You can also get there without buying the key if you're good with jumps (Look for a white tree to parkour off of)

Soulflarz

Banned
Shame on you for striking an old lady. I think she respawns but the goods cost more for each time you kill her.
Correct.

Just wondering how some people are (move set possible spoiler)
teleporting when they're dodge rolling?

It's a ring you get a bit before halfway, I just recently got it. It makes your rolls invisible.
Invisibility=/= invincibility, you can still get maimed mid roll

rdytoroll

Yo, fuck that guy that invaded me just now. He was running away the whole time because he got his ass beaten and then he pulled every mob in the area and I had to fight against 5 at all time. Fuck off, I'm mad as hell now lol

I am inclined to agree with the other person who responded. I think it's a reference to
Stockpile Thomas, from Demon's Souls, who wore the regular leather set.
It's a joke because
Patches wears this, the black leather set.
. And he's obviously not as nice.

I think the knight starting helmet looks straight out of demon's souls- the fluted armor- it looks damn close

Late Flag

Loot and snuggly the crow. Notably there is the silver covetousness ring, an estus shard, a crystal lizard, fire keepers set, and cloranthy ring. You can also get there without buying the key if you're good with jumps (Look for a white tree to parkour off of)

Welp, looks like I'm farming souls for that key then tonight.

I need a hint on where to go next. I just finished (mid [?] game location spoiler)
Anor Londo
and I have no idea where I should be looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom