• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

My rolls don't travel far enough to escape the combos and I don't have enough stamina to roll 3 times, meaining I get hit by the 3rd hit simply due to lack o the Stamina as a resource. ergo me saying about needing to level it up.

Roll forward not back.

Also parry.

Hypron

My rolls don't travel far enough to escape the combos and I don't have enough stamina to roll 3 times, meaining I get hit by the 3rd hit simply due to lack o the Stamina as a resource. ergo me saying about needing to level it up.

Wear less armour and roll towards the boss to end up in its back.

Ogawa-san

I always hoped "downvoting" a note enough would cause it to be removed, so the community would eventually get rid of fake illusion wall notes even if some people find it "hilarious".

So, after most bosses so far taking me really, really few tries (some of them 1),
Pontiff Sulyvahn
might just make me ragequit the game.
For me it's the second boss with most deaths to, first being
Old Demon King but only because of camera issues

I want to say it's an epic fight, but
the whole thing with 360 slashes and how he could goddamn combo with them got old almost instantly. And then he split and everything goes to hell
. Unasked advice:
I could kill the split image while it was being summoned if I had full stamina. Trying to fight both at once never went well.

I could pay to watch someone killing it without a shield. Boss is relentless.

I'm level 52 near the end of the catacombs. I just...never lose souls. I always get back to my souls, and I always use the boss souls for more levels. The theee free levels from whatshisnoface helped, too bad he died when I killed the abyss watchers before I got the last two levels

Edit yea the biggest tip I could give is rolling forward or around the bosses, not back. Otherwise it takes too long to close the distance and attack when they're recovering

Zocano

I'm level 52 near the end of the catacombs. I just...never lose souls. I always get back to my souls, and I always use the boss souls for more levels. The theee free levels from whatshisnoface helped, too bad he died when I killed the abyss watchers before I got the last two levels

The unfortunate side effect of gettin gud.

I deliberately avoid leveling too much to try and counteract this.

I've been hesitant to use the boss souls. I don't want to rule out any boss weapon I may want to forge later.

Mandelbo

Wearing lighter armour will help with both of those things. Levelling stamina up to the point where it's no longer a problem will take far too long and essentially waste levels, so I wouldn't recommend it.

For the record I die plenty of times. But I always get back to my souls, even if that means running past every single enemy to get there. Having high stamina with the stamina regen ring definitely helps

I'm still on my first playthrough, and am 37 at Cathedral right now.

Overleveled definitely. Unfortunately I was in the same situation :/

Too easy to overlevel when you partake in PvP and coop.

I think it's more for 30s

Seems a little high. I'm mid 30s and I've been taking my time.

Damnit I had a feeling too. Im going for a straight faith build and have been spreading my stats pretty evenly but I guess dying so much and killing enemies over and over pushed me a bit too far. Will definitely slow down on the leveling then thanks!

Roll forward not back.

Also parry.

Pls not parry. It took me about 20 tries on Gwyn because I can't parry anything even remotely delayed. Too much DMC, I instantly press the button the moment they move.

Rolling forward is useless if there's another dude spinning like Sanic right behind the enemy. I played enough souls, when I fight a single enemy I always roll towards them under their weapons. But when it's multiple weapons, there's a "danger zone" that no i-frames will save me though.

I can only summon 1 partner in co-op now? Is it to do with
hollowing?

You have to use the Dried Fingers item (sold by Shrine Handmaid) to be able to summon an extra co-op partner. But beware, this puts you at the top of the invasion list and you WILL get invaded very soon (and frequently) after using it. It also makes you get invaded by more than 1 player as well!

Mandelbo

I want to say it's an epic fight, but
the whole thing with 360 slashes and how he could goddamn combo with them got old almost instantly. And then he split and everything goes to hell
. Unasked advice:
I could kill the split image while it was being summoned if I had full stamina. Trying to fight both at once never went well.

I could pay to watch someone killing it without a shield. Boss is relentless.

To be fair,
the clone isn't that bad because
- it hasn't got much health, as you said
- it can be killed as it's being created
- it always does the same move the real Pontiff is about to do, so you can use it to help dodge his attacks, and you're unlikely to get into a scenario where both attacks are impossible to dodge.

Damnit I had a feeling too. Im going for a straight faith build and have been spreading my stats pretty evenly but I guess dying so much and killing enemies over and over pushed me a bit too far. Will definitely slow down on the leveling then thanks!

At level 37, I have Vigor at 23,Strength at 14, Dex at 24, and Endurance at 12 (started as Deprived) and maybe 2 points into Vitality. I feel I'm doing well healthwise.

Hypron

Won;'t be my build. I am very particular about these things. To the point of being insufferable.

Even while wearing heavy armour you can still roll towards, unless you are roleplaying a guy who can't roll forward for some reason.

Pls not parry. It took me about 20 tries on Gwyn because I can't parry anything even remotely delayed. Too much DMC, I instantly press the button the moment they move.

Rolling forward is useless if there's another dude spinning like Sanic right behind the enemy. I played enough souls, when I fight a single enemy I always roll towards them under their weapons. But when it's multiple weapons, there's a "danger zone" that no i-frames will save me though.

There's only a short period of time where you need to face 2 of them at once, after that the hostile guy should join in.

At level 37, I have Vigor at 23, Dex at 24, and Endurance at 12 (started as Deprived) and maybe 2 points into Vitality. I feel I'm doing well healthwise.

Yea I got 21 Vigor(heal spell and 7 +3 estus is OP) 25 faith and pretty much 15 in everything else give or take a couple points.

Really the things thats surprising me the most is how viable a Raw +4 Astora's Straight Sword is. Been doing great damage since the beginning of the game with it.

Mr Moose

The Leonhard guy in the Firelink shrine, I want his outfit... Should I kill him in there or later? I'm not all that far into the game
(killed the big tree thing, also got the red eye orb from Leonhards side quest but gone no further into that), how long would it take to finish his side quest from where I am now? If its too long I'll just kill him in the shrine.

How do I turn in boss souls? Do I just sell them to the lady?

Look at
the thrones near the bonfire, someone is sitting in one of them.
You also need an item for the NPC so you can get weapons/items in exchange for the boss souls.
You get this item from the Tree boss in Undead Settlement

Zackat

Is the runback from the
Undead Village to the big tree boss really the only way? I mean I can do it without taking damage, but come on. So far lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You're on
abyss watchers
, right?

That one helps to just hang back.
In the first phase just keep walking back in a circle around the room as the other ones spawn and the main boss starts fighting one, while another is likely coming to you. Kill that one off and watch the other two fight, and attack the boss after he commits to doing moves to kill one off(or try to help the other one fight him). Then just do the walk back thing again until they spawn.
It's a super easy way to get through the first phase.

Then how?

I did beat the tree by smashing his balls and got the trans soul.

Talk to Ludleth of Courland (small dude sitting on one of the thrones in Firelink Shrine, give him the Trans. Soul. item you got from killing the tree boss. Now you can buy boss items

Talka

I'm not very far, maybe halfway through
Undead Settlement

It's mostly been fun.

I do find the framerate stutters extreeeemely distracting, though (PS4 version). Especially during combat when I'm whipping the camera around really fast. I've heard From games are always like that, but I don't remember being so distracted by it in Bloodborne.

And now my controller's R1 button has started sticking, which makes it all but impossible to play. Gotta try to fix that before I can continue.

There's only a short period of time where you need to face 2 of them at once, after that the hostile guy should join in.

I know. He is of absolutely no help though. he gets stomped in about 3 seconds and I can't even contribute and try to hit the target in the meantime, cuz they just all spin to win covering entire area of their rave party in active damage hitboxes.

All of this has to do with one problem really. Their attacks have no sycnh between them. Basically, it mean the existence of safe moment to attack is not a pattern, it's purely randomized. And I have terrible luck with those. Everytime I fight multiple bosses, they just do their most obnoxious attacks all right after another... I geniunely believe I am cursed like that. People beat Ornstein and Smoug at SL 1 somehow, everytime I fight them it's always constant active attacking hitbox I need to dodge.

Mid game, possibly major spoilers.
This is all Dark Souls huh? like the original game. I've found a covenant that seems to draw gwynevere comparisons, a lot of similar architecture and now a beast in the Boreal Valley is clearly a callback to Gaping Dragon. At this point I'm half expecting to end up in Anor Londo.

MUnited83

For you.
Hey guys, lets put a huge swap full of poison, people love those, right? While we're at it, lets put a deeper part on it where your movement is severely restricted and you can only fat roll. To make it even more awesome, let's put a bunch of curse spewing basilisks! Genius!

Zackat

Closest Bonfire is
near the ramp before the area where the guy is shooting arrows

I missed one?! nooooo. That makes a lot more sense, because this one is way too far for a runback in my experience of these games. I opened the big door right in front of the boss and have been running back that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom