• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy

Steam dies and a million voices cry out in anguish.

That had to really suck for anyone in the middle of a boss fight or some other important thing, since being kicked from the server boots you to the main menu.
That was just me and the fucking tree man. I had two people helping me too.

Hate it when I am forced to grind. The beauty of souls games is you can power through no matter what... but ocassionally they forget about it.

Abyss watchers are impossible until I grind some more stamina. Each of them is faster than me, can do more swings than me, and I can't block them at all, cuz they insta break my shit.

I beat them at SL 16 with base stamina mate, it's not impossible!!

Mothman91

Up to the first lord of cinder spoilers:

Just defeated Abyss Watchers, and saw that there was a Crystal Sage boss before him? Anyone know where he's at exactly?

Had just helped a guy beat the (mid-game? boss spoiler)
High Lord Wolnir
boss, literally a couple of seconds after... Steam dies. Lucky guy.

Getting summoned there instantly, it's fucking crazy.

Kevyt

For anyone playing on steam, am I the only one who's PVP matches are extremely lagging?

My opponents are just like floating on space or something and I can never hit them nor can they hit me until suddenly one of us dies.

It's so annoying. I tried changing cross play settings and it didn't do anything.

Looks like pvp matches will be no fun. :(

Bros, I just arrived in
Irrythil
, having killed all bosses up to now including an optional one. I'm at level 53 with a strenth build. My best weapon is a +6 heavy claymore that does 294 damage. Am I on track or am I about to get my katana unshitted?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Just defeated Abyss Watchers, and saw that there was a Crystal Sage boss before him? Anyone know where he's at exactly?

Go back to the Crucifixion Woods bonfire, and explore the building in front of you

jonjonaug

It looks like From just pushed a Calibration patch (1.03, was at 1.02 just a bit earlier I think) which might be causing desync problems with Steam.

Lemonheap

Banned
I knew playing offline would have its benefits! Asocial Dark Souls dude wins again!

RkaBwPu.gif

Aurongel

Totally missed him before fighting AW. Head back to up to the prior area and look around by the big goofy crabs.

Plum

Go to the top left of the big forest area before Farron Keep (with the giant enemy crabs). Explore the ruins there until you find a slope going up. WEAR MAGIC RESISTANCE.

Derpot

Fuck the
Nameless King

Fuck him.

Fuck
his chicken
too.

Bullshit boss.

Yeah I'm raging.

Seriously wtf.

Moff

dark sigil quest
if I use the firekeeper soul the sorcery teacher will disappear, is that right? so should I buy everything she is selling first, or what is the best course of action? anything else I need to know?

Ogawa-san

I knew playing offline would have its benefits! Asocial Dark Souls dude wins again!
I play online but I haven't summoned a single soul, and I go visit the nearest cliff whenever I get a free ember form. I just do it for the notes and blood pools, they're (occasionally) handy.

Plus if you leave a "screw this goddamn place" note at
Farron Keep
, you'll get a full heal every 5min or so.

Well, feel free to grind to level up if you feel like this. Everyone has their weaknesses when it comes to bosses.

100% agree. In fact, every single boss' weakness is actually exactly the same.

Wanna know what it is? Breaks in their patterns. It's very easy to make an unbeatable boss. just give him really fast and powerful attacks that he keeps spamming. Talent comes in creating "stupid" moments in that moveset while still making it feel like player was the one who outplayed the enemy, instead of "did a gloryfied "press f to do damage" during this predetermined moment where the boss is vulnerable". We'd like to think there's more grace to that, but there really isn't every boss is a series of "skill challenges" (dodge,block,avoid) followed by the "reward" that is a window to attack.

The formula is thrown out whack when you have multiple enemies. Unless you specifically program instances where both of them hold back, "windows" to attack become chaotic and randomized. Every single "safe" moment can turn unsafe simply because other enemy started initiating his attack.

Everybody praises Ornstein and Smoug and such, but I found like very singel multiple enemis boss battle in Souls games to actually be fairy poorly designed, as there is no sign of any sort of synchronicity into their AI. They just act completely independently and as such you can sometimes get into entire minutes of just backpeddalling because they ai just happend to get into the rhytm where one starts his attack right as other's ends. (this actually happened to me with some o these bosses. Literally perfect synch. )
And that comes into my distaste for randomness in game design. This will sound really outrageous, but whenever you add something that is based on arandom chance into your game, you create a statistical possibility that somebody someday will not be able to do it at all. For example, if you have a piece of gear that drops with 5% chance, there's a statistical chance that there's a person for whom it will never drop... It's a statistical fact that given enough time, there will be ahuman that can never farm a certain piece of gear and he just will never get it even if he will spend every single day doing nothing but farming it. Now, this is long shot, a huge long shot, I do not claim I am one o those people, but I dislike the fact that game designers even allow that possibility to exist. Every single randomized feature should have some sort of hidden raising value that slowly builds up, eventually growing up to 100% . That way you make it so no person on the planet, no mattter how many quidrillions years will pass, will ever happend to be the unlucky sod that can't get something due to random chance.

Which is why I am always salty about multiple enemies in Souls games. They feel like a complete crapshoot, running completely contrary to deliberateness of Souls games. If I roll under a sword swing of a single enemy, I know I get a hit in. When I fight multiple enemies, that guarantee does not exist. Because second enemy can start his atack and I am forced to roll again... the other attack cancels the "window".

My problem is not that I die, as stated I died like 20 times on Gwyn, I spend zero seconds of that complaining on any forums Because there was an exact pattern to it and I knew where I messed up.

Here, I literally just had a run, where Red eyed Knight kept swinging at the fog door, trying to kill enemies outside of both area that he can't possibly reach. That's not a great design, and it completely collapsed the entire gimmick, forcing me into a fight with enemies that weren't programmed to be fought two at a time properly, due to their aggressiveness. And that's just the most extreme case of how red eyed knight is a complete crapshoot and not an actual deliberate element to the battle.

GorillaJu

Bros, I just arrived in
Irrythil
, having killed all bosses up to now including an optional one. I'm at level 53 with a strenth build. My best weapon is a +6 heavy claymore that does 294 damage. Am I on track or am I about to get my katana unshitted?

You're on track, I'd say you're over powered a little since you wouldn't have that +6 weapon without doing optional areas.

Sullichin

What the hell do I do with Dreamer's ashes (near
Wolf of Farron
bonfire)? Handmaiden won't accept it. On this playthrough I chose the other dialogue of not letting her know where I got it from. Don't think I even have it anymore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shiiiiit. Managed to finally turn off the
giant spears of doom in smouldering lake
, only to find a wall with a item behind it, clearly im supposed to
get a spear through there to break it
. oh well :(

anyone knows what it was?

The game is very good, but it has some annoying ass areas. All these gray hallways, then gray hallways with fire effects are like BB chalice dungeons or something.

blackw0lf

Looking at the armor on the wiki page, doesn't seem like there's not much difference in terms of protection. The highest physical defense for chest armor is only 17, not much more than the 12 you can find regularly.

Kind of disappointing. One thing that saved me in Dark Souls was finding really strong armor and upgrading it. If the best armor that's available isn't that much better than my own starting armor, then that takes away much of the excitement and hope for better armor.

shiiiiit. Managed to finally turn off the
giant spears of doom in smouldering lake
, only to find a wall with a item behind it, clearly im supposed to
get a spear through there to break it
. oh well :(

anyone knows what it was?

You can turn it back on.

GorillaJu

Armor in Souls games is about fashion first and foremost. If there was objectively best armor, everyone would use it and nobody would roll for swag factor.

anddo0

Coming from Scholar of The First Sin. The opening of this game is brutal in terms of FPS. It's going to take some major adjusting. I think I made a mistake :( My laptop probably couldn't do a solid 60fps throughout, but at least I'd be in the 50's most of the time.

Sullichin

Armor in Souls games is about fashion first and foremost. If there was objectively best armor, everyone would use it and nobody would roll for swag factor.

Yeah. I don't want another family mask / giant armor meta!

But it seems like the heavy armor could do with a bit more defense how things are currently.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Black Knight
shield, how I missed you since DS1 (I didnt use it in 2, I was full havel on that one)

its beastly in this one too, and since I havent found any fucking tower shields, this one will do nicely since its bigger than most anyway and fits my
ArtoriasWolf Knight
greatsword and set

Dunkley

Played some coop with my friend an hour ago or so, turned out to be a really interesting experience.

q6dH0S0.gif

SAnrzOi.gif

Not sure if it was a bug on any of our clients or something with the servers. According to him I didn't animate on his end just like he or any monsters he aggro'd didn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom