• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Hot tips guys!

Unable to join the covenant B
lade of the Darkmoon
because you joined the conflicting one? Still want the achievement? No problem!

Commit murder of the person who lets you in normally and you get the bage dropped!

:lol

blackw0lf

Armor in Souls games is about fashion first and foremost. If there was objectively best armor, everyone would use it and nobody would roll for swag factor.

Well Armor in Dark Souls 1 was also about trade offs in terms of mobility and poise. Super heavy armor made it far more difficult to damage you, but you couldn't roll as quickly. The reason not everyone was wearing say Black Iron or Stone Set was partly because they wanted to be more mobile.

There were definite differences in terms of how armor protected you though. Black Iron Set +5 pretty much made me able to beat the game.

Anno

Anyone played around with Reshade presets yet? I found one I think looks quite better, but whenever I add it to my folder it just fucks up my Steam controllers settings. Seems super weird, I don't know why the two would overlap at all.

So quick question

Is there any reason at all not to get the free level ups from that one guy you bring to firelink? Outside of the purely aesthetic one

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So
cathedral of the deep
Do I have to try and sneak past these giants?

no youre supposed to dodge roll your way around them >_> but apparently you can also kill them /shrug

21 hour. Ive played this videogame 21 hours in 2 days. Thats not healthy, im going to bed ;_;

Hey guys, lets put a huge swap full of poison, people love those, right? While we're at it, lets put a deeper part on it where your movement is severely restricted and you can only fat roll. To make it even more awesome, let's put a bunch of curse spewing basilisks! Genius!

Meh, just accept that you'll be poisoned, chug as needed, and fat roll through the deep parts. The basilisks have to stop to spew and dont have physical attacks so you can safely outrun them even in the deep end.

GorillaJu

So quick question

Is there any reason at all not to get the free level ups from that one guy you bring to firelink? Outside of the purely aesthetic one

Story reasons. There is no permanent downside to it but if you want to get rid of the
hollowing curse
later, you'll be paying for those levels you got for free earlier, only it'll cost you many more souls than those free levels would have in early game.

Soulflarz

Banned
Meh, just accept that you'll be poisoned, chug as needed, and fat roll through the deep parts. The basilisks have to stop to spew and dont have physical attacks so you can safely outrun them even in the deep end.

The poison is so slow that I didn't even note it really.

Sullichin

When will I be good enough to stop this lol. Also is there a good early game farming spot for souls?

Whenever you feel like moving on!

Some tips
- You can break their guard with a kick
- They'll try to punish you for backstab attempts with a shield bash. If your weapon is fast enough, you can hit them during the shield bash animation before they can pull it off
- The ones with the sword are easier to parry imo. They like to do 3-4 hit combos. Easier to do a "setup" parry than try to parry the first hit. Block the first one, and then press L2 when the second swing is about to hit you.
- You can also get them in a parried-like state. If you break their guard and they appear stunned, walk up and press R1 (don't press any direction) and you'll do a riposte-stye attack.

You can get through the whole game without using parry/riposte if it's not your thing, but these guys are good practice

GorillaJu

Vaati's video on the gameplay tips has changed the game for me. Charged R2 and no FP dodges are massive.

I use charged R2 a lot in PVP to throw off people trying to parry. Also with my weapon a charged R2 sends players flying upward vertically 😂😂😂

blackw0lf

Thinking about the difference in armor sets though, maybe DS3 calculates how damage is reduced differently than DS1? Like maybe the difference between 17 and 12 resistant is far greater than it was in DS1.

Teknoman

How do you kick again if you have jump/run set to O? Also whats with shadows looking like they are lower framerate at times on PS4?

Derpot

Played some coop with my friend an hour ago or so, turned out to be a really interesting experience.

q6dH0S0.gif

SAnrzOi.gif

Not sure if it was a bug on any of our clients or something with the servers. According to him I didn't animate on his end just like he or any monsters he aggro'd didn't for me.

Omg, thanks for these, I needed it after the rage x')

Time to go to bed. Have to get up in 5 hours for an exam.

Didn't get very far. Created my character. He's a warrior, so following the class description I made an old but strong bald dude. Beat the first boss after a few attempts and then was. Stuck on a katana welding guy until I figured out to
push him off a cliff. Reloaded to get the uchigatana which seems pretty early. My dex is currently to low to be using it, but I was planning to level dex and strength both, so maybe down the line.

Game seems pretty good so far!

wrongway

Played some coop with my friend an hour ago or so, turned out to be a really interesting experience.

Not sure if it was a bug on any of our clients or something with the servers. According to him I didn't animate on his end just like he or any monsters he aggro'd didn't for me.

Haha, I had this same experience last night. Made the fight with (boss) V
ordt
pretty silly as he just slid around doing no damage. Looked like Electric Football - Dark Souls Edition

Mupod

is it true that if you invade while a sunbro it prioritizes worlds where there's already an invader?

JOLLY COOPERATION

twisteh

Fuck sake. Knew everything was going too well. I just put my controller down there and it ended up killing the merchant lady NPC. Have i just screwed myself badly?

Fuz

Banned
Anyone playing with mouse+keyboard can tell me if this control scheme is properly done AND all the keys are redefinable?

Whenever you feel like moving on!

Some tips
- You can break their guard with a kick
- They'll try to punish you for backstab attempts with a shield bash. If your weapon is fast enough, you can hit them during the shield bash animation before they can pull it off
- The ones with the sword are easier to parry imo. They like to do 3-4 hit combos. Easier to do a "setup" parry than try to parry the first hit. Block the first one, and then press L2 when the second swing is about to hit you.
- You can also get them in a parried-like state. If you break their guard and they appear stunned, walk up and press R1 (don't press any direction) and you'll do a riposte-stye attack.

You can get through the whole game without using parry/riposte if it's not your thing, but these guys are good practice
Thanks for the tip! I still don't know how to kick on the PS4 though. The instruction wasn't that clear

GorillaJu

I thought it dark souls 1 you could double tap a button or something and it would consume an estus regardless of which item you currently had highlighted ie firebomb in item slot double tap down and you would just auto consume an estus

Wow, really? I never knew that... I don't think there is that feature in DS3 but i didn't know it was in DS1 either so...

Sullichin

Thanks for the tip! I still don't know how to kick on the PS4 though. The instruction wasn't that clear

Press forward + R1 at the same time. It's a little clunky honestly.

I'm farming them again now for some titanite shards. I realized that if you break their guard with a kick, you can immediately get off a critical attack. Once they're stunned, go neutral on the dpad and press R1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought it dark souls 1 you could double tap a button or something and it would consume an estus regardless of which item you currently had highlighted ie firebomb in item slot double tap down and you would just auto consume an estus

You can hold down to instantly equip the estus but that's it afaik.

ThEoRy...

Anyone else having issues initiating jolly cooperation? I'm on xbox one and keep getting the "failed to summon phantom" message. I've only been summoned once myself as well. Most of the time I just get a similar message "summoning failed" or something like that. This is all in the High Wall of Lothric first bonfire area so it's right at the beginning of the game.

This really sucks. My friend and I want to play co op and even with passwords we are unable to summon.

Is this happening with anyone else? Is it just the area is bugged? Please help.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm Warrior class with two Titanite Shard's and my standard Battle Axe that I got to start the game. I'm at
Tower on the Wall
early in the game. Should I use my two Shard's on the Axe or get a better weapon in game?

Santiako

I only had an hour to play today so I went on and killed the A
bbys
W
atchers
first try no summons, they seemed really easy. Now to bed and to work in 4 hours ;_;

GorillaJu

I'm Warrior class with two Titanite Shard's and my standard Battle Axe that I got to start the game. I'm at
Tower on the Wall
early in the game. Should I use my two Shard's on the Axe or get a better weapon in game?

Do you want to use the axe? Therein lies the answer. It's not a shit weapon, there aren't any shit weapons.

Sarcasm

So reading, people who pirated the game can play online with legit owners with a patch.

Its like borderlands 1 all over again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom