• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
someone help me kill this fucking
giant sword guy in smouldering lake
before I lose my mind? ;_;

you can set up passwords for summons now right?

reposting for new page of hope

Derpot

I focused on STR/DEX too. More STR then DEX then upgraded my broadsword to a +9 Heavy.

Nameless King
is considered one of the trickiest in the game,
Lothric
I found to be one of the easiest. That doesn't mean that I did him first time though!

You basically wanna play it safe in the first fight 'cause he's pretty easy and the only thing to look out for is the Light beam attack and the teleport. He has quite a long recovery phase after his big attacks so there's plenty of time to get a couple swings in.

In the second phase, you want to be doing all your damage on his back. That way you do more damage to his brother. As soon as the big one dies, 2h your weapon and lay the smack down on the younger brother.

Okay, so yeah,
keeping some distance in the second phase is not a good tactic knowing that little brother can throw his spells at me.

And I'll try to be more careful during the first phase.

Thanks for the advice!

I suppose there is the true final boss after this one?

It's probably true the bosses in the early part of the game aren't great. But the later game bosses are almost all exceptional, with the exception of
Yhorm.

Agree,
Yhorm
was a huge letdown to be honest, mainly
because the trailer made me believe Im gonna fight a huge, terrifying giant in this game who cannot be beaten by an overpowered sword that kicks his ass in 5 hits.

As long as you keep to the corner and out of its sightline you're fine. Second you move a bit too far forward, you get the aggro. You need to make sure you pull the first from as far away as possible because you don't want the second one to see you at all.

Ok, I'll try next time. I wonder if there is one person that managed to defeat both of them head on.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I found that if you went for his left hand (your right) first, then his second phase is quite tough (he gets a sword, and it's very hard to get attacks in). If you go for his right first, then he's a complete pushover.

I think i may have just gotten lucky if that's the case. I was super confused when it was over in like 20 seconds.

I_D

Yesterday playing with a friend in co-op, we had a bug where I could not see his animations, I just saw his character model sliding around standing still, and when enemies aggroed him I would see the enemies standign still too.

He was able to kill enemies withut suffering damage whil the enemies where aggroing me and viceversa.

This includes bosses.

Wtf is this bug? Happened twice to us already.

It's related to lag, I think. It's been happening about 50% of the time I summon somebody.

The enemies do aggro onto either players, just like normal, but they seem to be laggy which makes them easy to kill before they start moving.

Oddly, backstabs seem to work perfectly and resync the players, but the game quickly messes up again.

rdytoroll

Can someone tell me how much I have left in the game?

Found 3 bonfires in Irithyll, but havent fought a boss there yet and I cleared everything in the Smouldering Lake.

I don't want it to end

Styles

actually
aldrich ate gwyndolin

Yeah! The
moveset and sound design all sounds and feels very Gwyndolin. The second phase when hetransforms his weapon into a Scythe was definitely a callback to Nashandra Actually he doesn't do that lol. ..

I think it is my favourite boss fight thus far. <3

Vuze

Found 3 bonfires in Irithyll, but havent fought a boss there yet and I cleared everything in the Smouldering Lake.

I don't want it to end
You've got quite a lot to do still, don't worry :p

Just reached U
ntended Graves
(late game optional area,
pretty cheap they recycled the beginning area :/
) and lol, you can summon
Katana dude
there as a phantom! Let's see how this goes :D

Welp,
Champion Gundyr
certainly was underhwelming,
didn't even transform. But Katana dude didn't do anything either, expected him to pull of some cool moves
;_;

E: Actually scratch my remark about the area, once you get past the boss, it gets pretty interesting. Will definitely have to read up what the lore behind this is

bidguy

Banned

I don't want it to end

id say youre around 60% through counting all optional areas. maybe a bit more

So last night i transposed V
ordt's
soul and got the Left Pontiff Eye.

So boss souls don't work like DS1 then where they are vital for late game weapon upgrading, they're just become weapons/items instead?

Zocano

Well it no longer feels like fan fic scatter around, just a direct sequel...

Honestly, with how obscure and vague these games tend to be, the fact that it does feel like a direct sequel screams fanfic to me even more.

If people complained about "overt" connections in DS2, they'll die in a sea of annoyance from DS3. For what it's worth, I never thought the DS2 connections weren't even that direct and thought it was handled pretty well.

Auctopus

Okay, so yeah,
keeping some distance in the second phase is not a good tactic knowing that little brother can throw his spells at me.

And I'll try to be more careful during the first phase.

Thanks for the advice!

I suppose there is the true final boss after this one?

Yes (spoiler buffer)

The spells are not too bad but there's a little randomness in there. The beam you just need to roll through. He'll fire it off either when you're keeping your distance or immediately after his brother does the light beam sword attack.

The little bright light spell is harder to judge. At first I thought it was like Aldrich's spell and you would roll at the last second but it's sort of combination of Soul Mass Arrow. So, just keep rolling like mad, that's what I did, haha.

hey guys any newbie tips/tricks

im really bad at this game but its fun stuff

Just take it slow, watch and learn.

I do feel for newbies, i'm coping with the enemies fine.. well ok :D , but they are definitely harder than what previous games have offered, especially so early on as well. This game feels as though it is definitely aimed at Veterans.

Take your time to learn what items do etc, Equipment can be really useful, depending on your class etc. Look for a 100% physical shield, a good start.

And just ask questions! Souls community is great for that.

aravuus

Fanfic is such a weird complaint to make. It's a sequel. The hell did you expect?

Late post, but Im going to make some art to chronicle my playthrough of the game (as much as I can) Stayed up late to finish the first piece. Wanted to share before I went to bed and woke up for work in 5 hours, aaah

tumblr_o5m89nSB1Y1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

Yeah, so, where can I order a big-ass scan of this so I can put it on my wall? lol

Armaly

Where exactly should I go next? I am

At Anor Londo. Got to Aldritch and she one shot me with an aoe arrow spell. Went to check out Gwyndolin's old spot and it's still a long ass hallway so I noped out of there. Only other place is not Tower of Latria where the medusa just stare at me and lower my health. Am I near a place where I can farm titanite chunks?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
good bye fucking horrible zone I will hate you forever and never return

...until NG+ of course :3

Zocano

good bye fucking horrible zone I will hate you forever and never return

...until NG+ of course :3

I liked (mid-late optional area)
dead and lost izalith
probably the most of any of the zones ):

Thought it had actual fun level design rather than leaning too much on style.

MicSte79

Neo Member
I've always wondered, is it best to consume the souls that the bosses leave behind? Or save them for later in the game?

I won't f**k anything up by consuming their souls will I?

Hystzen

Jesus poise does not exist for you but for a certain familiar foe past crabs a 2H fully charged R2 Zweilhander+5 does not even make him flinch WTF.

Auctopus

Where exactly should I go next? I am

At Anor Londo. Got to Aldritch and she one shot me with an aoe arrow spell. Went to check out Gwyndolin's old spot and it's still a long ass hallway so I noped out of there. Only other place is not Tower of Latria where the medusa just stare at me and lower my health. Am I near a place where I can farm titanite chunks?

You can...

-
Beat Aldrich and get a Soul of Lord of Cinder - you will need to do this at some point. Her arrow AOE will one-shot you no matter what SL you are, more or less.
-
Carry on through the dungeon to another boss.

Styles

Ugh, From just HAD to remind us of that god-awful, well-dwelling Shark duo in Bloodborne, didn't they?

I will be left with a gaping hole after this.

Mendrox

Wow the P
rince
L
othric
boss fight is such a brutal test of your ability to dodge roll. RIP shield users

Wrong shield and rings then. I tanked that whole fight on my first playthrough - it is possible and makes the fight a bit too easy then. Still a good fight and even more fun if you try to cast your way through (2nd phase urgh...)

Whilst the level design in 2 was shit, the area themselves had so much more unique (to souls) concepts.Every area in this game is just like "now its time for the catacombs ayyy dark souls".

Derpot

Yes (spoiler buffer)

The spells are not too bad but there's a little randomness in there. The beam you just need to roll through. He'll fire it off either when you're keeping your distance or immediately after his brother does the light beam sword attack.

The little bright light spell is harder to judge. At first I thought it was like Aldrich's spell and you would roll at the last second but it's sort of combination of Soul Mass Arrow. So, just keep rolling like mad, that's what I did, haha.

Alright, and
can I also roll through big brother's light beam sword attack of death? I haven't tried that yet.

fozzy

I'm still using the Knights starting sword at +1. I found the Butcher Knife, and the thought of it giving you HP back as you fight sounds useful. Might swap.

vladdamad

Wrong shield and rings then. I tanked that whole fight on my first playthrough - it is possible and makes the fight a bit too easy then. Still a good fight and even more fun if you try to cast your way through (2nd phase urgh...)

Hmm, I'm running a Dex build and have a maxed out Crest Shield... Might try switching it up then!

Hey all question time.

I'm doing a basic strength build (sword and board) and I have yet to find a claymore or zweihander (my favorite weapon) after 4 bosses (
starting guy, volstadt, tree, crystal sage
).

Have I missed place to pick one of these up somewhere along the path I have traveled?

aravuus

ok, starting to really getting angry here..

Destroy the lone bracelet first (the one on the boss's right hand), move on to the other hand, destroy the first bracelet of that hand and then start moving back to where you spawned. When he has one bracelet left. That's always been the moment he starts moving up (and thus bringing the fog forwards) for me, and when he finally stops, the fog shouldn't be a problem anymore.

e:
no fuck, didn't realize you were talking about the breathing part. With that one, just stay around under his head/between his hands, a bit down

silva1991

Whilst the level design in 2 was shit, the area themselves had so much more unique (to souls) concepts.Every area in this game is just like "now its time for the catacombs ayyy dark souls".

I see what you mean. only one area in this game felt like something unique and new to m
Dragon peak

jrcbandit

Do I need to do stuff in Smouldering Lake before I kill the boss of the Catacombs?
Specifically, I know you need to kill Horace. But I talked to Anri already twice and I am about to kill Wolnir now that I figured out what to do. Will this prematurely end Anri/Yuria quest since I didn't kill Horace and tell Anri about it?

Faron Greatsword is cool but I still suck at parrying timing on harder mobs. So I might stick to shield/sword combo. Dark sword and estoc are my other go-to weapons right now, I just need some refined gems.

Fuck catacombs... At least first DkS 1 had a decensy to have necromancers that you can kill to stop respawning
Make a blessed long sword (or weapon of choice) just to use to finish off mobs.

Quick question about progress in
cathederal of the deep.
I got to a point last night and when i play next, curious about what i do next.

so i think my only options left are behind the giants. One has a double doors behind him. The other a stair case.

I have already explored the roofs etc and have the bonfire by the covenant lady and the short cuts back to first bonfire. I think i am meant to go up the stairs behind the giant and black slime things. Are you meant to kill the gaint here to pregress or am i missing something?

Pafnucy

Hey all question time.

I'm doing a basic strength build (sword and board) and I have yet to find a claymore or zweihander (my favorite weapon) after 4 bosses (
starting guy, volstadt, tree, crystal sage
).

Have I missed place to pick one of these up somewhere along the path I have traveled?

There is a claymore
early on high wall, where a dragon breaths fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom