• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its like they hit the perfect spot with this. I cannot logically see how there are people saying its the worst of the series, when they enjoyed the first two. Those people need to realise its not the game thats the problem, they are just bored of the mechanics by now.

Honestly, there's no way this game was going to appease everyone. The fan base is huge but extremely divided in terms of opinions over every aspect of the gameplay, plus they needed to make it accessible to new players. I think it’s remarkable that the series has stayed as consistent as it has (and yes, I even include Dark Souls 2 in this). The only thing I think its fair to take them to task for are the myriad technical issues each game has on release, but they at least make an effort to sort out most of those through patching (frame pacing issue not withstanding).

ElFly

So in an article from last summer, it was said that,

"Although it has not yet been decided if the Soul Vessel item will be in Dark Souls 3, there will be a respec function that allows players to redistribute Souls to rebuild their character."

Does anyone know if this ended up being true. I just beat the game last night, and would like to redistribute my points before heading onto NG+ if possible.

Oooh I wanted to know that.

So you are not immediately dragged into NG+ like in BB/DS1/Demon?

brian!

Yo need some info on
undead settlement
if i beat up dat curse tree before i meet npcs am i boned? Havent freed that one guy sitting in a cell or met any of the npcs besides yoel

Thx, and
in general any info on no point of return shit is welcome

jaekeem

Finally managed to beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
. How much more difficult is the rest of the game?

from him the bosses are all decently hard barring the gimmicky ones

there are several bosses that are just as hard, or arguably harder than him

Aeana

Yo need some info on
undead settlement
if i beat up dat curse tree before i meet npcs am i boned? Havent freed that one guy sitting in a cell or met any of the npcs besides yoel

As far as I know,
beating the tree only blocks you from meeting Hodrick, since he's crushed by the action of the boss fight
. Nobody else should be affected.

Randam

you really get the impression, no one here wants to play the game a second time.

why not just do things one way in your first playthrough and then do it differently in the next?

E92 M3

End game spoilers

when phase 2 of the soul of cinder starts... oh man.... shivers everywhere. the music!

It was beautiful, wasn't it?

Finally managed to beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
. How much more difficult is the rest of the game?

It gets equally hard if not tougher. Some have more problems than others.

Where do you get Tree of Giants Seed need it for my armour set be complete

Why do you need a seed for armor. And it's found in
Untended Graves

what-ok

you really get the impression, no one here wants to play the game a second time.

why not just do things one way in your first playthrough and then do it different in the next?

I can't wait to play this until I get platinum or it breaks... and then some more.

Sylas

Was P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
really trivialized by
pyromancy
for anyone else?
Great Chaos Fireball
was doing so much damage that he basically keeled over for me. I was upset, too! Heard he was one of the harder bosses.

jaekeem

wtf at
Aldricht
:(

yea the lore behind him is so grisly shit

Was P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
really trivialized by
pyromancy
for anyone else?
Great Chaos Fireball
was doing so much damage that he basically keeled over for me. I was upset, too! Heard he was one of the harder bosses.

well he really doesn't have a gap closer until his second phase, and all his long range attacks are pretty telegraphed iirc

what-ok

Last night the
wraith
in the poison swamp area dropped its
armor
. Do you know if you can get the complete set by returning and farming it?

So I noticed in the Path of Sacrifice

When me and my friends were co op we could only summon one of us at a time

Are certain zones restricting summon capacity?

Can the Dried Finger break this limit?

Eh, I liked being able to go almost anywhere from the start of Dark Souls. I liked being able to have poise and shields that actually had proper stability. All of those things represent choice, agency.

I'm finding shield stability to be quite adequate, I just find myself needing to watch my stamina more closely, but that applies to the game in general. I've been focusing on endurance as one of my priority stats, maybe that makes the difference in whether shields are viable for you or not?

Skatterd

Well in Bloodborne they changed it so that you could be any level or gear setup and matchmake regardless

It would just scale the other players to the Host

DS3 does this too? Seems janky sometimes

I was 20-30 levels higher than a friend and with a +6 weapon when he has a +2. Used password matching. My damage seemed hugely downgraded in his world.
Only issue I've found is it takes 2-3 minutes sometime and High Wall seems to have lots of issues with summoning..I think some people aren't waiting long enough.putting your sign down (once, do not remove it) and standing still near it works well for me.

Certainly seems to work better than Bloodborne ever did. Your mileage may vary I guess.

I was 20-30 levels higher than a friend and with a +6 weapon when he has a +2. Used password matching. My damage seemed hugely downgraded in his world.
Only issue I've found is it takes 2-3 minutes sometime and High Wall seems to have lots of issues with summoning..I think some people aren't waiting long enough.putting your sign down (once, do not remove it) and standing still near it works well for me.

Thanks!

Good to know

Have any insight on summon restrictions in certain zones? We could not get 2 summons in the Path of Sacrifice. When we alternated our sign would show up instantly but never both at the same time

Im guessing certain zones restrict capacity?

Man was farming the loric Knight set last night. Sick looking armor. Just need the gloves now. BTW I think I was over leveled from farming armor set. Destroyed the second boss like nothing on my second try. First try wasn't prepared had like 2 estus left.

Nephtes

I'm approximately 45% through the game if the Achievements screen on Xbox is acurate and I'm having difficulty placing this game in the timeline of Dark Souls...

I think there is evidence that it is either before or after Dark Souls 1, but not after Dark Souls 2?

We're in agreement that Drangleic in DS2 is MANY MANY MANY generations after Lordran correct?

There are so many people in DS 3 that pop up as being from
Carim, Great Swamp, Astora, Catalina, etc.
all of which really don't appear in DS2 associated with any of the NPCs. So that leads me to believe the game is preDS2.

But then stuff from DS2 keeps appearing. Like the Shrine Maiden is clearly one of the old Firekeepees from DS2, there's a
Tree of Giants right outside Firelink
, and the Firekeeper appears to be wearing the Crown from the DS2 DLC, right?

Okay, now look at some of the places:
Demon Ruins?
Catacombs of Carthas?
Smouldering Lake (Ashen Lake?) These all seem rooted to Dark Souls 1 directly.

I hope the game spells it out by the end... I don't want to need to watch another 3 hours of Vaati videos to get the answers I desire. :p

jaekeem

What is the lore?

Thanks, I'll do that too lol.

from what I've read basically

aldrich was a saint that made a habit out of eating people. eventually, he ate so many over time that he slowly transformed into a gelatinous blob. he ends up eating gwyndolin through the help of pontiff sullyvan, whom detests the old gods. as he devoured gwyndolin aldrich had dreams of priscilla, and uses her scythe as an attack when you fight him. he also ate nito I think, you can see nito in his model right below gwyndolin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
seriosuly what am I missing on
Aldricht
? when he/she has like 25% left I cant do anything, its just
wisp / arrow / lasers spam
, there no break? I dont get it

Dimmle

Speaking of connections to DS2, I'm not sure where
Mirrah
fits into DS3's world but I'm glad their swag armor is in the game.

Arjen

Well in Bloodborne they changed it so that you could be any level or gear setup and matchmake regardless

It would just scale the other players to the Host

DS3 does this too? Seems janky sometimes

Yes, I've been Co oping a lot with my buddy who's a way lower level. Works perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom