• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimshot

Did I screw up my playthrough?

I think I killed the sorcery salesman by thinking the enemy wouldn't get the jump on me this time. Are you able to buy spells / weapons from any other sorcery npc along the way?

I also used the fire gem on the claymore, feels a bit like I wasted the gem and the sword as it removed all scaling :(

Dmax3901

Looks like I've finally hit my brick wall at the good P
ontiff
. This is the first boss that has me like the BSB or Defile Amygdala in Bloodborne.

taoofjord

Hey GAF, does the look of the areas change much? For all the talk of Bloodborne looking similar I'm not finding DS3 to be any more varied and so far these are less memorable. The levels certainly look nice (and are brilliantly designed) but nothing has really wowed me yet. Just go to the
catacombs
and I was vaguely spoiled that the area immediately after
looks amazing
but does it continue to surprise afterwards?

Freeman76

So far this game feels like a lovely blend of Demon's and Dark 1. It's so weird.

Its like they hit the perfect spot with this. I cannot logically see how there are people saying its the worst of the series, when they enjoyed the first two. Those people need to realise its not the game thats the problem, they are just bored of the mechanics by now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh wait this
IS Anor Londo
? Ok From, I take back what I said about the
archers
lol

edit LOL I cant get past the very first 2 mobs here, I keep dying what the fuck :D

daninthemix

Its like they hit the perfect spot with this. I cannot logically see how there are people saying its the worst of the series, when they enjoyed the first two. Those people need to realise its not the game thats the problem, they are just bored of the mechanics by now.

Eh, I liked being able to go almost anywhere from the start of Dark Souls. I liked being able to have poise and shields that actually had proper stability. All of those things represent choice, agency.

MicSte79

Neo Member
Can't get on co op with my friend. I am Level 25 and he is 19.

Have tried everything.

From Software really need to add a co-op mode to this.

I have found a lift that does not seem to have a lever to bring it back. I stood on it and it was travelling up, I accidentally hit r2 and my dude fell off the lift to his death. Now I am back at the lift but there is no lever to bring it back, no idea where the lift was leading too. Better not be awesome loot or shortcut up there.
it is in irythyll dungeon in a little passage next to the giants feet

Help!!!

Edit: Found it!!

CamelCloud

This is probably the most difficult final boss in the entire series. Anyone have any tips? Can't even
beat the first phase.

It's legitimately a "git gud" boss, you just need good timing on your rolls. Just try to learn the pattern of his attacks. Remember
he will change between sword, spear, staff and scimitar.

Milijango

I don't think DS3 is the worst in the series but this game's thematic callbacks are sometimes too much.

Can't get on co op with my friend. I am Level 25 and he is 19.

Have tried everything.

From Software really need to add a co-op mode to this.

It works but seems to have odd restrictions all over the place

Turn of matchmaking, set password, make sure your weapons and level are within range.

If it takes longer than 2-3 minutes reset the signs/rest at bonfire

If that fails quit and reload to refresh your server connection

Milijango

It works but seems to have odd restrictions all over the place

Turn of matchmaking, set password, make sure your weapons and level are within range.

If it takes longer than 2-3 minutes reset the signs/rest at bonfire

If that fails quit and reload to refresh your server connection

If any of your weapons are more upgraded than his it won't work. You'll have to dump them into the bottomless box.

Eh, I liked being able to go almost anywhere from the start of Dark Souls. I liked being able to have poise and shields that actually had proper stability. All of those things represent choice, agency.

I personally wouldn't have minded the relative linearity if it weren't for the warping making everything feel so disconnected and random on top of it. It makes me wonder how much they really thought about how it affects level design and everything when I have to warp to get to the first real area that has
a bonfire immediately outside when it only takes about 10 minutes of play time to discover yet another one that then lets me warp BACK to that first bonfire indiscriminately? To me that makes no sense, why can I warp within the levels?
As much as I'm enjoying the game, it just can't compete with Demon's Souls and DS1 as of now, it feels entirely too disjointed for me so far like no real thought went into the details of this whole warping/no-interconnectivity business.

The gameplay itself feels fantastic so I hope the game magically stops feeling this way later on but I don't have high hopes for that aspect.

ah I just beat them!
I found that if I kept circle strafing and stayed close then their attacks were easy to dodge besides the holy missle spam (where I ended up just dodging like crazy because they start homing on you while they teleport for a melee strikes). it doesn't really change from phase 1->2 in when they're vulnerable.every time lorian missed a melee strike i hit him once, and in the second phase when both are out I tried to dodge to the back so I was hitting both brothers at the same time, because when he revives lorian a second time he gets even more moves, so you wanna try to keep the damage between them even starting from phase 2

Thanks! Just beat him solo. Changed up my armor ..
full silver knight set with golden cresent shield and +9 dark sword. I took much less damage from the magic / flames when I did get hit, and stayed close. Ran out of flasks and he was raising his brother again when I "beat him to a pulp" but I got it!

E92 M3

I don't think DS3 is the worst in the series but this game's thematic callbacks are sometimes too much.

It's a love letter and I savored every second. A game truly made for the fans - thankfully it also makes them a lot of money as well. Very rare in this industry.

myco666

Good to know so that I won't be overleveling myself before it.

Have been enjoying the ride a lot although it has fanservice all over it. Surprised by how easy the game has been aside from select few bossfights and enemy encounters. It is also rather short game as the clock shows that I am 17hours in and almost finished. Probably missed bunch of NPC questlines and Covenants though.

Ugh just beat the A
byss watchers. It was a damn hard fight for me, but jolly cooperation took the edge off and made it feel like a fair fight with the bosses.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Irithyll
is so damn creepy, gorgeous looking zone as well.

vladdamad

It's legitimately a "git gud" boss, you just need good timing on your rolls. Just try to learn the pattern of his attacks. Remember
he will change between sword, spear, staff and scimitar.

Thanks, managed to get it! Definitely one of the most emotional fights in the series, if I understood the story/lore correctly. A fitting end to the trilogy.

CHC

A
byss Watcher
s was such a fun fight. I'm playing as a loincloth wearing barbarian, using the Greataxe. Beating them using only that was soooooo fucking satisfying, especially after trying for like 3 hours. I always use fast weapons and a shield, but something feels so good about wielding a massive and totally deadly weapon.

It's like a bolt action sniper - you're banking everything on that one shot. Feels like a good challenge because I've gotten too comfortable with the "regular" build, meaning high endurance, dex, and str, with a solid shield and straight sword. Booooooooring.

Excellent I know what I did wrong now

To add to what others have said I believe
he dies after you beat the Abyss Watchers if you haven't levelled up with him at all. That's what happened in my first play through. Although it might just be the first Lord of Cinder you beat that triggers his death.

Lakitu

st5fu
I think I got extremely lucky with the A
byss Watchers boss fight. The second phase I was just dodging his attacks constantly and getting hits in. It'll be like Bloodborne where I can beat a boss first time through and the next playthrough it'll take me 10 attempts.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think this is best souls game. N bloodbourne was the worst for me. Opposite to most on gaf but i just genuinely felt bloodbourne changed too much mechanic n combat eise

So in an article from last summer, it was said that,

"Although it has not yet been decided if the Soul Vessel item will be in Dark Souls 3, there will be a respec function that allows players to redistribute Souls to rebuild their character."

Does anyone know if this ended up being true. I just beat the game last night, and would like to redistribute my points before heading onto NG+ if possible.

Sane_Man

So in an article from last summer, it was said that,

"Although it has not yet been decided if the Soul Vessel item will be in Dark Souls 3, there will be a respec function that allows players to redistribute Souls to rebuild their character."

Does anyone know if this ended up being true. I just beat the game last night, and would like to redistribute my points before heading onto NG+ if possible.

You need to find Rosaria's Fingers covenant in the Cathedral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom