• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtes

Part 2 is becaus SSD fucked up so re recording but he is right with that scepticism and eye rolling over the fan service it something that bugs me in the game it so busy throwing references in your face that it doesn't feel like it has its own identity. Granted I not finished only down upto Crystal Sage the non stop DS references and call back does make your eyes roll

My eyes don't roll... I'm all like "EEEEEEEEEE! Call backs to a game I love! /fangirl"

I'm just waiting for the lore reason WHY all the call backs are there. :/
Don't let me down From. I need a bad guy to come out and wax poetic why all this Dark Souls 1 stuff is reappearing that makes sense with the lore.

Finished the game.
Final Boss was a bit of a pushover after Nameless King, but I think he was still really fun and a good finale to the game. I really enjoyed the game, I feel like I need to let it settle and ruminate a bit, try out some other playthroughs with different weapons (I went Uchigatana with no shield, no spells and light armor for this one, purely dodging attacks) and see what optional content I may have missed before fully forming an opinion on the game. But it was very fun, I think it looks better than Bloodborne on a technical level and has some amazing effects, though I don't personally like the aesthetic as much as that game's.

As I said earlier in the thread though I feel like there doesn't need to be any more games in this setting, and there really didn't need to be more than one. I'm much more interested in seeing From continue to make games of this type but to create new worlds within them, so unless they somehow radically shake it up, I wouldn't be too excited for a Dark Souls 4, though I would still play it. I also feel like this game didn't feel like much of an 'end' to the series, it really just felt like another Souls game, which isn't a bad thing, but considering how this had been billed as the grand finale for the series I was expecting a little bit more.

Iorv3th

How does scaling for items that have a gem in them like the Deep Battle Axe work?

There is none. If it has no letter and just - it has no scaling.

Does anyone else feel like DS3 is more...accessible (not to use another 4-letter word)? Bonfires are far more frequent and bosses aren't as difficult as previous iterations this early in the game. Also I'm running around in barely any armor (using a ring that increases atk with less equip load) and I can still take quite a few hits.

Maybe? I like the fact that I know where to go next in the game. I am liking this a lot better than DS1 or 2 just for that reason alone.

J-Rod

I think I have messed up. Mid game spoilers (I think):
I killed a maggot dude in the cathetral near Rosaria's Chamber, who I now think was actually a npc because he didn't respawn and he dropped Red soapstone.

So, how bad I dun goofed?

I don't think there are any repercussions. I saw that guy too, and even though it doesn't attack, I couldn't seem to interact with him at all. I think some speculate he is a certain npc that was transformed? Killing him is probably all you can do.

(Mid-ish game location spoiler)
Irrythal Of the Boreal Valley(I think it's called)
is absolutely fucking beautiful. Looks better than central Yarnham.

Kinda getting sick of the performance issues with the latest games I've played (XCOM2 & DkS3). 60% CPU and GPU utilization on a 970@1080p, and the framerate drops under 60. It was near perfect for most of the early game, but now that I'm in mid to later areas, there are more drops. Adjusting advanced settings does very little.

zewone

So do the properties remain and can gems stack? Or is there a limit to how many gems can be infused in a weapon

It's just one infusion.

If you have a Long Sword +2 and infuse with a Fire gem it will be a Fire Long Sword +2.

If you decide to infuse your Fire Long Sword +2 with a Sharp gem, it will lose it's fire properties and become a Sharp Long Sword +2.

Infusing is a commitment, there's enough to play around a bit, but don't waste them too much.

How do you use weapon arts?

Two hand your weapon and press L2. Some weapons like Uchigatana or Claymore have you hold L2 to enter a special stance and R1/R2 to do the weapon at attacks. Some shields allow you to perform the weapon arts without having to two hand your weapon, again it's L2. Read the descriptions of each weapon and shield and it will describe the weapon art.

Boogdud

So, is it just me or does the ring that "gains hp during consecutive slashes" do absolutely nothing? I've tried to watch my health during attacks and it doesn't seem to work at all.

I was hoping it would be the compromise to give us a bloodborne rally.

Iorv3th

So, is it just me or does the ring that "gains hp during consecutive slashes" do absolutely nothing? I've tried to watch my health during attacks and it doesn't seem to work at all.

It's probably a troll item. Think everyone here has said it hasn't done anything and is a waste. Maybe consecutive is like 5 hits, but I don't have the stamina for that.

It restores some health after getting off several consecutive attacks, apparently it's good for dual weapons, but I never got it to activate when I used it, so this is just going off of what others have said. I thought the same thing as you when I read the description but it doesn't work like rally.

Boogdud

It's probably a troll item. Think everyone here has said it hasn't done anything and is a waste. Maybe consecutive is like 5 hits, but I don't have the stamina for that.

Well that's a damn shame, I actually cheered when I read the description. What a bummer.

Dimmle

Also befuddled by this thing.

Arjen

Doesn't seem to work for me, never noticed any health regain.

Nephtes

A compromise? What do you think this is? Bargaining?
No. They're similar but different games. Get over it. Why can't you just enjoy them for what they are?

Bloodborne isn't my cup of tea compared to Dark Souls, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it or finish it 3 times for all the endings.

I swear... Just enjoy the ride.

Edit: I opined about Bloodborne's lack of defensive abilities before it came out, but then I played it and realized that it's different and I got over it. It's not hard to do.

I found this enemy the hardest in the game. I'm yet to actually kill one.
The design is so similar to the Watchdog of the Old Lords in the defiled chalice dungeon, which is (imo) the hardest boss in the entire series. I had to run past that thing. I dies more times on it that any single boss I have yet to face.

daninthemix

Greatshield of Glory looks amazing. Is it actually feasible to have the str (40) and vit to wield that by Profaned Capital without also completely neglecting Vigor and End?

Soulflarz

Banned
awake and

tbh right now Dark 3 feels like the fanfic, in a sense that there's fanservice everywhere it seems like a DS1 fan did it.

But I'm still really early so....

the other way around, 3 seems much more like a fanfic than 2 lol

Oh,I meant 2 is fanfic where you have to include old stuff vaguely.

3 feels like shamelessly abusing the previous games lore for sales :p

DS2 feels much more like a proper sequel from a plot aspect compared to 3 making it feel like a normal games sequel.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just let out the most visceral gut wrenching groan,
irithyll dungeon
needs more bonfires goddamn it >_<

these fucking games man...

Sifl

Question about a questline in a very spoiler area
Anri isn't at the bonfire in the church. The lady said she was on her way to the Boreal valley, so I looked up the next part of the quest and read she was supposed to be here. Anyone know why she isn't?

Big Brett

A compromise? What do you think this is? Bargaining?
No. They're similar but different games. Get over it. Why can't you just enjoy them for what they are?

Bloodborne isn't my cup of tea compared to Dark Souls, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it or finish it 3 times for all the endings.

I swear... Just enjoy the ride.

I don't think he was insinuating he wants it to be more Bloodborne. There's clearly some Bloodborne inspired methods of approaching this game, like dual blades.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Part 2 is becaus SSD fucked up so re recording but he is right with that scepticism and eye rolling over the fan service it something that bugs me in the game it so busy throwing references in your face that it doesn't feel like it has its own identity. Granted I not finished only done upto Crystal Sage the non stop DS references and call back does make your eyes roll

Having finished it I can only say all of ENBs scepticism is completely warranted and I think he's gonna be bummed out about the story and references for references sake.

Neoweee

Greatshield of Glory looks amazing. Is it actually feasible to have the str (40) and vit to wield that by Profaned Capital without also completely neglecting Vigor and End?

Yes. You can always sacrifice wearing any heavy armor, because the diminishing returns on armor absorption are super steep and easy to forego.

There's a decent amount of stuff you can have done before then, as well. How many bosses have you killed?

Does anyone else feel like DS3 is more...accessible (not to use another 4-letter word)? Bonfires are far more frequent and bosses aren't as difficult as previous iterations this early in the game. Also I'm running around in barely any armor (using a ring that increases atk with less equip load) and I can still take quite a few hits.

for the first couple areas, yea. once i hit
farron keep and the catacombs of carthus
it got plenty hard

daninthemix

Yes. You can always sacrifice wearing any heavy armor, because the diminishing returns on armor absorption are super steep and easy to forego.

There's a decent amount of stuff you can have done before then, as well. How many bosses have you killed?

Um, I've killed the frosty dog. Think I'm level 18. All I want for Christmas is a shield with 80 stability.

Fhtagn

THIS GAME

HAS THE SPOOKIEST AND SCARIEST
SKELETON BOSS
I HAVE EVER SEEN

My wife kinda wrecked the mood by making me laugh very hard... She walked in just as that showed up on screen and said:

I don't think you're ready, for that skelly!

lol

So I read a guide talking about getting the Uchikatana early. Haha. That guy has like 1000 HP and at the beginning of the game he breaks your guard in like 3 hits because his attacks drain so much stamina. I can't imagine it's a simple matter for the average player at the starting level.

Nephtes

yoel of londor
died for no reason... Didn't even gain more than 3 levels through him.

Apparently that happens if you progress too far without utilizing him...

So I read a guide talking about getting the Uchikatana early. Haha. That guy has like 1000 HP and at the beginning of the game he breaks your guard in like 3 hits because his attacks drain so much stamina. I can't imagine it's a simple matter for the average player at the starting level.

Roll pyromancer. Charge in, back away and kite him down the hill. He'll keep going at you then backing off... When he backs off, toss a fireball at him. Rinse and repeat till you gave that sweet sweet loin cloth ... ^_^

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
yoel of londor
died for no reason... Didn't even gain more than 3 levels through him.

you got good,
didn't die enough for him to spare you dem free levelz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom