• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

It appears I can equip weapons, eventhough my stats don't meet the requirements. So, my question is, should I be using a sword that has level 12 faith requirement, eventhough I'm at level 9? Will the physical properties of the weapon still work properly?

Another question is, that is it true you should stay under 70% of your equip load (in my case, under 39,9 of 57)?

MicSte79

Neo Member
Yeah, feel like we've tried everything.

- Host is embered, or both of us are embered
- Region matchmaking on / off
- Different passwords
- Different locations
- Replacing signs
- Being in the
Sunlight
covenant
- Moving between areas
- Signs are showing

It's not that it never works, but when I only get to play for 4 hours during the evenings, and 2 hours of that is spent trying to summon eachother, it gets annoying. There were problems in 2/BB at launch, but not like this. We were in Undead Settlement yesterday, coop'd, I accidentally died falling off a ledge, spent 30 mins trying to re-find eachother and nothing.

I feel your pain. This game is impossible to enjoy with a friend. It's too unpredictable.

psychotron

It appears I can equip weapons, eventhough my stats don't meet the requirements. So, my question is, should I be using a sword that has level 12 faith requirement, eventhough I'm at level 9? Will the physical properties of the weapon still work properly?

Another question is, that is it true you should stay under 70% of your equip load (in my case, under 39,9 of 57)?

You can equip them, but you move slow and they do a lot less damage I believe. You should definitely stay under 70% or you'll roll much slower.

So I read a guide talking about getting the Uchikatana early. Haha. That guy has like 1000 HP and at the beginning of the game he breaks your guard in like 3 hits because his attacks drain so much stamina. I can't imagine it's a simple matter for the average player at the starting level.

He was quite a bitch to put down. His Achilles Heel seemed to be the whole "coming down the stairs" thing. But alternate L1/R1 strikes with the merc weapon did the trick. Took a few tries, much heartache.

Soulflarz

Banned
nice, got a massive bug:

Siegward's questline just got stopped cause Siegward's refusing to show up :( at the Cathedral, and I even had Patches show up, but no Siegward and I'm unable to buy the Catarina armor.

this sucks so bad :(
He doesn't go to that area, he goes to the church (outside it...sort of!)

So i guess i did miss out on something rather important..

I feel like im being punished for playing well or because i chose to head towards
farron keep
first instead of
Cathedral of the deep

This is pretty lame.

I went FK>CotD

What's the earliest place to farm Large Titanite Shards, Chunks and Slabs?

From the Wiki it doesnt look like slabs are farmable.

Everything else is but I couldnt tell you exactly since Im not that far

Apparently you can upgrade the Shrine Maiden shop to include Titanite and Large Titanite for purchase which will be a relief once I find the Ash

Citadel

So I joined the
Mound-Makers
Covenant which seems pretty interesting. When I'm summoned, I usually tend to help them out more as opposed to attacking the host. The only problem is that I really don't know if there are any 'real' consequences to joining certain Covenants. I'm not too familiar with the lore of Dark Souls, even though I played a little of 1 and beat 2.

Now, a question - I'm still fairly early into the game (I think?) ... I just got to the
Undead Settlement
..I went back to Firelink Shrine and killed
Uchigatana guy
with the hopes of getting a good weapon, but I've already upgraded my broadsword with a raw gem, which seems to be a lot more powerful than the katana. Are there any other weapons (straight sword preferred so I can use a shield, as I'm a Knight class) around the early levels that is good for upgrading and.. just keeping for the rest of the game? The last real boss I killed was
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
. Again, even though I've played through the games before, I haven't really been the best at retaining information from the game such as lore, stats with weapons and armor, etc.

Could use a little help:
I'm in the Cathedral of the Deep. Coming from the Rosaria's Bedchamber bonfire, I walk across the gate to the other side. Opened the double doors, and found the lift to the main altar, except it won't let me pull the lever to use the lift. How else can I get to the main altar?

MicSte79

Neo Member
Is there a website which details every enemy? I have noticed people referencing 'Crystal Lizard' - is that what you have made up or is that actually his name?

Dark Souls Trump Cards would be awesome.

Ice9

Can someone who knows please tell me how the
Butcher's Knife
HP stealing capability works?

I know that a "solid blow" is supposed to restore some HP, but I never see it happen. If I equip the Knife in 2 handed mode, and use the L2, I sharpen the knife, and then I notice some HP stealing.

Anyone know if it only steals HP when sharpened?

Otherwise I freaking love this weapons. A fast moving STR based weapon that scales A with STR out of the gate. Glorious!

E92 M3

So I read a guide talking about getting the Uchikatana early. Haha. That guy has like 1000 HP and at the beginning of the game he breaks your guard in like 3 hits because his attacks drain so much stamina. I can't imagine it's a simple matter for the average player at the starting level.

I used parry during my first encounter.

ogbg

Could use a little help:
I'm in the Cathedral of the Deep. Coming from the Rosaria's Bedchamber bonfire, I walk across the gate to the other side. Opened the double doors, and found the lift to the main altar, except it won't let me pull the lever to use the lift. How else can I get to the main altar?

From the bottom. Go past the giant who is hanging out in the sludge. The one at the same side of the room as the alter

So I bought the key to the tower in firelink shrine and
a guy locked me in the tower, I managed to go down by hopping on the tombstones but when I got to the other side of the gate he wasn't there anymore. Is he gonna show up again or is this just from's way of telling you to find another path down

Dimmle

I beat him with a Bandit's Knife at a very low level so I guess I'm #1 Souls player.

emb

He beat me up the first time (thought I almost won through attrition/estus). I tried again and it wasn't too bad. Try doing the riposte (or whatever the L2 parry with your shield is called). I was able to get three in a row, then just take a few swings and it was done.

Could have just been luck with his pattern though.

Soulflarz

Banned
I guess i simply didn't die enough then.. Which is kinda stupid cause isn't that the point in this game? Survive the challenge in front of you.

Theres actually a huge gap period if you are getting the free level ups from the start, since your hollowing speed increases each time.

So I bought the key to the tower in firelink shrine and
a guy locked me in the tower, I managed to go down by hopping on the tombstones but when I got to the other side of the gate he wasn't there anymore. Is he gonna show up again or is this just from's way of telling you to find another path down

Its a bizarre quest and it didnt trigger when I went up there

Hopefully all these quest triggers become apparent over time lol

LogicStep

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll need a new shield. I started as a starved named guy and still haven't put points into anything besides some HP and stamina. Trying to decide if I want to go magic which I'm not really fond of so far since I have to sacrifice a estus for an MP estus. Haven't tried faith. I've never done either playstyle before so I wanted to try it now. I'm hesitating on going with pyro since that's what I did in ds1.
That soul arrow doesn't seem very good I mean, I have to shoot an enemy a lot to kill them and uses too much mana to do so.

Boogdud

More like you're asking for magic and knights in Armored Core...

I made a bad example... sorry.

It's more like asking if Turpentine is the same as Charcoal Pine Resin and Fire Paper. They're all exactly the same, yet, 3 different games from From... GOSH.

Also, I wasn't asking for it, they put the item in the game. I was asking if it worked.

whats up with the entirely shitty and boring character creation music compared to the blissful experiences from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1? so generic and bad. shame on you From Software.. just yuck.

very bad first impression of the game. a total mess.

Melchiah

You can equip them, but you move slow and they do a lot less damage I believe. You should definitely stay under 70% or you'll roll much slower.

Thanks. Oh well, it would have offered a nice damage increase.

By the way, I've noticed when you rest at the bonfire in the Firelink Shrine, or return there, the fog gates take pretty long to disperse. It seems I can "force" myself through by walking towards them for a while. Does that happen to others, or is it a bug?

whats up with the entirely shitty and boring character creation music compared to the blissful experiences from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1? so generic and bad. shame on you From Software.. just yuck.

Holy crap, ahahaha.

And you're serious, aren't you?

Welp.

Chorazin

It took me 8 times to kill that guy
because I was stupid and didn't go into Firelink Shrine and level up before taking him on each time.

Just bait him and when he swings big hit him fast and hard during his recovery. Be patient and you'll get him. Even though I'm a dex build I went Raw with the Uchi because the damage output is hard to beat at low levels.

MicSte79

Neo Member

Are you serious? Please say you aren't serious.

Brohan

Theres actually a huge gap period if you are getting the free level ups from the start, since your hollowing speed increases each time.

What do you mean? I immediatly started accepting those free levels and didn't get past three by the time i beat the watchers.

So yeah, i feel like im missing out on stuff because i play too well. Which just doesn't seem right to me. Strange design decision imo.

Dimmle

the game improves quite a bit after the character creation music

Big Brett

I honestly can't tell if this is serious

Soulflarz

Banned
What do you mean? I immediatly started accepting those free levels and didn't get past three by the time i beat the watchers.

So yeah, i feel like im missing out on stuff because i play too well. Which just doesn't seem right to me. Strange design decision imo.

Maybe I didn't fight the watcher immediately? I just went back to him every two or so deaths and he was ready for more leveling >_>

lmao

Jack cw

DS3 has the best OST so far. Bloodborne was already great but this time they nailed everything so far.

Derpot

Wat.

Uh well, I guess it's your opinion.

I really don't like the shrine. It's dark, depressing, I always go in and out. The blacksmith is too far away.
Loved to let the game idle in hunters dream or Majula while doing something else.

psychotron

Thanks. Oh well, it would have offered a nice damage increase.

By the way, I've noticed when you rest at the bonfire in the Firelink Shrine, or return there, the fog gates take pretty long to disperse. It seems I can "force" myself through by walking towards them for a while. Does that happen to others, or is it a bug?

It's loading the area. If you fast traveled to the shrine, then ran outside really quick, the outside area wouldn't be fully loaded, so they used fog to mask the loading.

I guess without spoiling exactly but to save me from going nuts-- Can I access the area around the dragon from High Wall Of Lothric/the early game or will get there later on (my progress is at the Cathedral/Swamp cross roads, making my way through the swamp)

I just noticed there are items there.

RMQJUE5.png

Ferr986

Do you guys recommend me going to C
athedral of Deep
first or go against the A
byss Watchers
at F
arron?

Motherfucker has like infinite stamina in his second form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom