• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

A compromise? What do you think this is? Bargaining?
No. They're similar but different games. Get over it. Why can't you just enjoy them for what they are?

Bloodborne isn't my cup of tea compared to Dark Souls, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it or finish it 3 times for all the endings.

I swear... Just enjoy the ride.

Edit: I opined about Bloodborne's lack of defensive abilities before it came out, but then I played it and realized that it's different and I got over it. It's not hard to do.

How about you chill the fuck out? I was asking about a specific item in DS3 that seemed to offer a very similar effect to a key feature from Bloodborne, a game that was also developed by From Software. The item was obviously a hint from bb by the developer.

It's no different than asking if overboost is possible in different iterations of armored core games.

Get over yourself.

So I read a guide talking about getting the Uchikatana early. Haha. That guy has like 1000 HP and at the beginning of the game he breaks your guard in like 3 hits because his attacks drain so much stamina. I can't imagine it's a simple matter for the average player at the starting level.

I just picked up a better shield and pushed him off the cliff

:/

Steel

Banned
How do you get that?

Get the 5 cracked red eye orbs from the guy who leans on the top throne. Then use them. Talk to him again. He'll give you a key to a lift beneath the 2nd bonfire on the high wall. Murder the person at the bottom of the lift.
(early game, minor procedural spoilers)

Just kinda stumbled into it, honestly. Well, my playstyle kind of made me stumble into it.

Soulflarz

Banned
So I read a guide talking about getting the Uchikatana early. Haha. That guy has like 1000 HP and at the beginning of the game he breaks your guard in like 3 hits because his attacks drain so much stamina. I can't imagine it's a simple matter for the average player at the starting level.

Guy at the start? Hes by a cliff, same tactics of kick off the edge always apply :p

mileS

Reposting for a new crowd, it was super late last night!

During my Dark Souls III playthrough I'll be doing a semi daily sketch, based on how my experience is going! I'll have to manage playing the game with taking a couple of hours per drawing, but it should be fun!

tumblr_o5m89nSB1Y1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

awesome! I look forward to more!

Neoweee

Does anyone else feel like DS3 is more...accessible (not to use another 4-letter word)? Bonfires are far more frequent and bosses aren't as difficult as previous iterations this early in the game. Also I'm running around in barely any armor (using a ring that increases atk with less equip load) and I can still take quite a few hits.

I think it is more accessible, but not really for the reasons that you list.

- More NPCs and Vendors from the start.
- More Linear, less likely to find areas that are over your level.
- Simpler weight mechanics (Like, 90% of builds will land in the flat 30%-70% zone, and the bonus for being lighter than that is pretty small.
- Blacksmith in the main town, using the simpler mechanics from DS2 relative to DS1, and moving the ember usage to that one BS as well.

Enemies will hit like a truck later, and there's not much you can do about it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Well that sucks.. I feel hè was rather important..

Hate stuff like this.

You were very unlikely to complete that whole questline on the first playthrough anyway, worry about that stuff in NG+

Baliis

Idk I thought he was kinda easy as long as you play carefully. He seemed super easy to bair into attacks and then get a hit or two in and just repeat that over and over. If I'd known you could get the uchi so quickly I would made a dex char, next time I guess though.

Tak3n

Banned

he is actually reasonably easy, firstly magic can kill him without direct fighting, but he comes down and does 3 strikes, wait for the 3rd strike then hot him a couple of times, and then back away.... dont attack when he just does 1 hit, wait for the 3 strikes, hit and retreat

... wait

I didn't kill him (almost got him down to like 1/4 total health) and I died to him, I came back and he was gone with some loot on the ground and it was a Uchikatana

Did my game glitch?

I have a quick question. How to join sunbro convent? I just got the warrior of sunlight thingy in undead settlement. How do i equip it? I dont see it anywhere

3rd session video dump. Got through 4 more bosses, but goddamnit I'm missing the video off one of them because a cutscene started the moment the fight ended, so I didn't want to hit the Share button, and then I totally forgot to after the scene ended. Boss spoilers up to the S
mouldering
L
ake
area.

Deacons of the Deep
(This boss is pathetic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W3gyDCydKQ

Abyss Watchers
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NchvfJoY8

Next should've been the missing video :(
High Lord Wolnir

Old Demon King
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaPpUpT0hE

And finally, a random video from part of an npc quest I stumbled upon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znwrCXIKgJM

I have a quick question. How to join sunbro convent? I just got the warrior of sunlight thingy in undead settlement. How do i equip it? I dont see it anywhere

Its tricky lol

There is a Diamond Slot selectable next to your equipment and Item slots for setting the covenant flags

Its nice that a lot of them can be gotten early so you can start earning. The altars are a bit further into the game for turning in medals and such

Shifty

More like you're asking for magic and knights in Armored Core...

Come on now, you did kind of jump down the guy's throat. It's okay for people to want different game mechanics.

On the topic of that ring, the wiki claims that it restores health after six consecutive hits, and can sometimes restore a whole bunch if you're in the middle of a big melee.

Soulflarz

Banned
You were very unlikely to complete that whole questline on the first playthrough anyway, worry about that stuff in NG+

FWIW, it's extremely lenient, I stumbled upon it towards the end of my playthrough. Not much of "if you pass point X without doing ___, you're locked out!"

Equipment, it's in the right slot that has it's own section.

Moff

as a pyro it's pretty easy, I am not a good player, I use summons on every boss and I like to play the game that way. but I beat the katana guy on the first try with the power of the flame.

And it's all very much deserved. They consistently make my favorite games.
absolutely it's deserved. and although it doesn't do cod or gta numbers (those games are juggernauts in their own right), the souls series definitely had a positive impact on the industry and will be remembered. to date it's sold 10 million copies, which is still an impressive feat.

Raxious

nice, got a massive bug:

Siegward's questline just got stopped cause Siegward's refusing to show up :( at the Cathedral, and I even had Patches show up, but no Siegward and I'm unable to buy the Catarina armor.

this sucks so bad :(

Get the 5 cracked red eye orbs from the guy who leans on the top throne. Then use them. Talk to him again. He'll give you a key to a lift beneath the 2nd bonfire on the high wall. Murder the person at the bottom of the lift.
(early game, minor procedural spoilers)

Just kinda stumbled into it, honestly. Well, my playstyle kind of made me stumble into it.

The guy who gave me those is gone from Firelink. Does he return if I use the cracked orbs?

Brohan

FWIW, it's extremely lenient, I stumbled upon it towards the end of my playthrough. Not much of "if you pass point X without doing ___, you're locked out!"

So i guess i did miss out on something rather important..

I feel like im being punished for playing well or because i chose to head towards
farron keep
first instead of
Cathedral of the deep

This is pretty lame.

Neoweee

nice, got a massive bug:

Siegward's questline just got stopped cause Siegward's refusing to show up :( at the Cathedral, and I even had Patches show up, but no Siegward and I'm unable to buy the Catarina armor.

I doubt it is a bug. Just byzantine NPC quests being byzantine NPC quest.

Cat Party

I took him out around level 15. I used the stairs where those two undead are chilling to slow him down and get a few back stabs. Then I finished him off with firebombs. It took ten tries but it was so satisfying to pull off. You have to make sure you don't roll too early when he starts laying into you.

ogbg

So, is it just me or does the ring that "gains hp during consecutive slashes" do absolutely nothing? I've tried to watch my health during attacks and it doesn't seem to work at all.

I was hoping it would be the compromise to give us a bloodborne rally.

It only really works with super quick weapons like the thief blade. You need like 4 consecutive attacks in quick succession. Then you get a kind of red glow around your body and it restores HP for a few seconds after that.

LogicStep

So I bought a wooden shield and a short sword and noticed I couldn't parry anymore? My character goes into that art stance. Am I missing something?

Wth why does a knocking sound play after beating the c
rystal sage
? I'm helping people and every time we beat him I think someone else is inside the house lol.

Rurunaki

nice, got a massive bug:

Not a bug.. Took me a while for him to show up.. Almost cleared the whole level before he randomly showed up.. Just go about your business, but don't kill the boss of the area just yet..

Shifty

So I bought a wooden shield and a short sword and noticed I couldn't parry anymore? My character goes into that art stance. Am I missing something?

Different shields have different L2 abilities. Parry and Weapon Art are two of them.

You have a battle shield that doesnt parry but instead lets you instantly go into battle stance instead of having to switch to 2 handed

That quarter/half second improvement in response its likely a PVP consideration

Cob32

Some shields have a special ability that lets you do the weapon Art of the right hand instead of parrying.

ogbg

So i guess i did miss out on something rather important..

I feel like im being punished for playing well or because i chose to head towards
farron keep
first instead of
Cathedral of the deep

This is pretty lame.

You aren't really being punished. It's just a different state of the world than it would have been had you done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom