• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurrry

Can anyone give me a non-spoilery hint on where I should go next? Ive been hitting dead ends all day.

I just
beat the old demon king. I got to the snow place, but I cant get in without a doll. Ive been exploring all of the smouldering lake only to end up at another dead end with a hard NPC knight by the lava that kicks my ass and taunts me.

E92 M3

All 9 flask charges gone, almost dead... tough area was tough. I thought I was going to have to homeward bone.

It's the best feeling. There been times where I was running for my life with tons of souls lost and stumbled into a bonfire. Magical moments of playing Dark Souls for sure.

Anyone have a good recommended weapon for a pyromancer? I'm fairly early in the game still (undead settlement) so my options are limited. I'm currently using the deep hand axe or whatever it's called (with the dark attribute). I don't want to waste my upgrade stuff on weapons I probably won't use.

Can anyone give me a non-spoilery hint on where I should go next? Ive been hitting dead ends all day.

I just
beat the old demon king. I got to the snow place, but I cant get in without a doll. Ive been exploring all of the smouldering lake only to end up at another dead end with a hard NPC knight by the lava that kicks my ass and taunts me.

There's a huge area you're missing back at the road of sacrifices

I just

Return to Crucifixion Woods and explore.

Jombie

I feel like I'm not playing the way I want. I like to play with some finesse in these games and parry, but enemies hit so goddamn hard that it's simply not worth whiffing on a parry. It seriously feels like I have a NG character playing in NG ++, especially once you get to Boreal Valley. I've mostly backstabbed and stunlocked my way through so far. I had a really tough time with Pontiff and Aldrich, bosses that some find really easy. I feel kind of defeated and depressed.

Late Flag

Can anyone recommend a place to get a good shield in the early parts of the game. I started with the Assassin class so all I have so far are the really small shields that dont black incoming damage completely. Also would like some help on finding some decent armor as well, where do people get the armor with the red cape that some of the harder knights are wearing in the first area?

There is a 100% physical defense shield in the area you go to after Firelink. You have to go out of your way for it a bit though.

After you cross the roof of a church with one of those tutorial-boss like black sprouting guys, you'll go down a ladder. Go into the room with the spear knight, ignoring the archer who will now be behind you. Work you way through the subsequent area, which dead ends eventually. The shield is in there someplace.

Aomber

Just beat
Deacons of the Deep on my second attempt. Had no idea those fuckers would curse you if you didn't kill them fast enough. Anyway, Pontiff's Left Eye ring is AMAZING on this fight - you can just wail on them non stop and keep healing up since there's so many of them.

squadr0n

There is a 100% physical defense shield in the area you go to after Firelink. You have to go out of your way for it a bit though.

After you cross the roof of a church with one of those tutorial-boss like black sprouting guys, you'll go down a ladder. Go into the room with the spear knight, ignoring the archer who will now be behind you. Work you way through the subsequent area, which dead ends eventually. The shield is in there someplace.

Ok awesome, Thanks. I totally sprinted through that area lol.

Also Y
oel
NPC Spoiler question:

Which Boss causes him to go away before I can finish his quest line? And once he leaves and the girl npc takes his place are there any bosses that will cause her to leave or piss her off?

jaekeem

I just

go back to the woods before farron keep there is another path u must follow

Slixshot

Banned
Holy goddamn shit the (area after forest area boss spoilers)
giant skeleton is so fucking terrible of a boss. Once you've got him to the third phase it's practically impossible to get to his bracelets to hit them. Pretty much instant kill dark spells and fucking hordes of skeletons are terrible. Easily the worst boss so far. I've tried summoning but the two guys I summon just die really easily, usually near the tail end of the battle.
Probably my favorite boss in terms of design so far as well. Guy looks great.

Forgot to ask, any tips? Seriously I'm burning through my embers like butter here. This isn't challenging, it's frustrating now.

Let him come to you. Go for his right hand only. Watch out for mist.

So I just beat the
Stray Demon
. Nice vista and all from up there, but where do I go now?

I would explore that area a bit... Then turn around and go back down and do more stuff
in the swamp

Sane_Man

Man, farming for the covenants can be a pain in the ass. I think I'm gonna re-spec to max luck at the end of the game just to farm Concords Kept and whatever it is the wolf wants.

Melchior

Quick question about a certain zone.
Is there a ring that allows you to walk in lava? similar to ds1?
Don't wanna know where it is if there is one. Just curious so I can keep my eyes peeled

Plum

Let him come to you. Go for his right hand only. Watch out for mist.

Yeah, I've tried that and it's still not working. I just got backed up to the wall and his mist spray just instantly killed me. Why only attack his right hand? Does it kill him instantly if I break that bracelet?

Sane_Man

Quick question about a certain zone.
Is there a ring that allows you to walk in lava? similar to ds1?
Don't wanna know where it is if there is one. Just curious so I can keep my eyes peeled

Pretty sure there isn't.. You just gotta suicide roll in there.

KHlover

Banned
Man, farming for the covenants can be a pain in the ass. I think I'm gonna re-spec to max luck at the end of the game just to farm Concords Kept and whatever it is the wolf wants.
Eh Wolf stuff is pretty easy to farm, imo. Within the span of an hour I got the required 10 stuff for the first level of the covenant. That area has strong enemies, all hosts I invaded so far had been pretty depleted in terms of FP and Estus.

All 9 flask charges gone, almost dead... tough area was tough. I thought I was going to have to homeward bone.

Reading a message stating "Bonfire ahead" after being out of estus flasks, killing so many enemies, unsure if you can make it further or not is one of the greatest feeling in gaming.

Slixshot

Banned
Yeah, I've tried that and it's still not working. I just got backed up to the wall and his mist spray just instantly killed me. Why only attack his right hand? Does it kill him instantly if I break that bracelet?

I wouldn't back up all the way. Let him come to you and he should swing his right arm if you're at his right side. The right side because 2 bracelets pop and do a ton of damage and his attacks on the right are easily avoidable (in comparison). He should be 2/3 of the way down after you pop both. Keep at it!

E92 M3

Eh Wolf stuff is pretty easy to farm, imo. Within the span of an hour I got the required 10 stuff for the first level of the covenant. That area has strong enemies, all hosts I invaded so far had been pretty depleted in terms of FP and Estus.

The problem is that I can't ever invade. Auto invasions don't seem to be working right or something.

What are some good weapons you can pick up early on? Something that has a low enough STR/DEX (20/20 max) requirements and will work well on an elemental upgrade path? Right now I am looking at the Claymore. What else is decent?

I am aiming for a high Stamina and HP build. Not gonna invest into STR and DEX for pure scaling. Are elemental weapons as worth in this game as it was in Dark Souls Vanilla?

Plum

I've only got two levels left until I can two-hand my main from Souls 1 and 2, the Greatsword...

iu

Plum

I wouldn't back up all the way. Let him come to you and he should swing his right arm if you're at his right side. The right side because 2 bracelets pop and do a ton of damage and his attacks on the right are easily avoidable (in comparison). He should be 2/3 of the way down after you pop both. Keep at it!

That's the thing, I do only attack the right hand side (got it mixed up, sorry). I get him down to one third left and by god I just can't get to that final bracelet, not even with 3 people. The skeleton spam and mist just fuck me up every time I try.

KHlover

Banned
What are some good weapons you can pick up early on? Something that has a low enough STR/DEX (20/20 max) requirements and will work well on an elemental upgrade path? Right now I am looking at the Claymore. What else is decent?

I am aiming for a high Stamina and HP build. Not gonna invest into STR and DEX for pure scaling. Are elemental weapons as worth in this game as it was in Dark Souls Vanilla?
If you don't plan to invest points into scaling at all, wouldn't a RAW weapon make more sense?

Alavard

Anyone have a good recommended weapon for a pyromancer? I'm fairly early in the game still (undead settlement) so my options are limited. I'm currently using the deep hand axe or whatever it's called (with the dark attribute). I don't want to waste my upgrade stuff on weapons I probably won't use.

I started as a Pyromancer as well, and have found good success with both the Deep Axe, and with a Fire Broadsword (either from starting Fire Gem gift, or from a fairly early Fire Gem you can find). Reinforce it to +3 as you find titanite shards (don't worry about wasting them super easily, you'll find plenty, just stick to one or two weapons to upgrade for now).

That should get you far enough into the game until you can find an int-scaling weapon. There's one you can get
from a somewhat early boss soul, the Crystal Sage

duhmetree

Holy goddamn shit the (area after forest area boss spoilers)
giant skeleton is so fucking terrible of a boss. Once you've got him to the third phase it's practically impossible to get to his bracelets to hit them. Pretty much instant kill dark spells and fucking hordes of skeletons are terrible. Easily the worst boss so far. I've tried summoning but the two guys I summon just die really easily, usually near the tail end of the battle.
Probably my favorite boss in terms of design so far as well. Guy looks great.

Forgot to ask, any tips? Seriously I'm burning through my embers like butter here. This isn't challenging, it's frustrating now.

Observe his movements and
anticipate where his hands will be, not where they are . I was chasing his hands at first which kept getting me killed.
I might have just been lucky but I beat him in, what felt like, under a minute.

I thought he was one of the 'easier' bosses. I'm a melee/str build

I started as a Pyromancer as well, and have found good success with both the Deep Axe, and with a Fire Broadsword (either from starting Fire Gem gift, or from a fairly early Fire Gem you can find). Reinforce it to +3 as you find titanite shards (don't worry about wasting them super easily, you'll find plenty, just stick to one or two weapons to upgrade for now).

That should get you far enough into the game until you can find an int-scaling weapon. There's one you can get
from a somewhat early boss soul, the Crystal Sage

Great, thanks for the tip! How much str or dex do I need for the fire broadsword? Or any recommendation on how high I should level my str up before doing more int? I need more pyromancy spells too actually. Still just have the fire ball.

Eumi

So I just got to
Lothric Castle
, and the basic enemies are kicking my ass. Is there somewhere else I'm supposed to be first or is this just a difficulty spike?

Plum

Observe his movements and
anticipate where his hands will be, not where they are . I was chasing his hands at first which kept getting me killed.
I might have just been lucky but I beat him in, what felt like, under a minute.

OK, will take that into account. Thanks! I'm taking a break now since I never play well under frustration, but once I get back I'll try and do it. At least we got one of the best Souls set pieces in that skeleton bridge beforehand!

Oh yeah, thanks Slixshot. Forgot to say it!

Skipped DS2, loved DS1. I sorely miss this feeling in Bloodborne. Love estus flask system so much.

Bloodborne made me feel like I was fatigued on the series, but I think I just loved Dark Souls more.

im gonna play p much for the next 8 hours if anyone wants to chat or watch, used deprived and still rocking the club with a dagger instead of a shield, the FP dodge works even if the gauge is empty, idk i haven't found a need for a shield but i do want to find the grass crest one to throw on my back

https://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme

J-Rod

That's the thing, I do only attack the right hand side (got it mixed up, sorry). I get him down to one third left and by god I just can't get to that final bracelet, not even with 3 people. The skeleton spam and mist just fuck me up every time I try.

You can avoid his mist if you get far enough to the right (his left, the side w/two bracelets). Try to avoid letting him back you into the wall by going to him and not making him come to you. Generally, the skelly spawns happen if you are taking too long to break bracelets. I prefer to get the single bracelet arm out of the way first. Especially if you have help, it's nice to go ahead and get it out of the way.

Doesn't seem to be enough twinkling titanite, or titanite scales while playing normally. My longsword has yet to be beat, due to the normal upgrade mats needed. It's partially my fault, since I used some twinkling on a shield, but it still seems there should be more available early to mid game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom