• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogawa-san

I just now, at over lv80 and just past the
Dragonslayer Armour
, realized that unlike DS2 you don't have to be in ember form to leave co-op signs, only to summon people.

God dammit.

I guess I'll be starting my next playthrough from scratch.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just killed
Pontiff
in only three tries, I wasn't expecting that. At the end we were both on 1% HP, I actually thought I had killed him on the swing that took him to 1% and my brain switched into "it's over mode" for a split second which nearly cost me the fight.

The GIF if you want to see, mid - late boss spoiler.

kowhai

So at the
cleansing chapel
how do you open the left shortcut door? I've been there for hours now and still can't figure it out.

E92 M3

I feel like they really borked the crafting this time around. You can only ever have one lead weapon, and twinkling titanite is so rare that not only can you only ever have one TT-based weapon, but most the time it'll get outclassed very quickly by the more incremental upgrades of standard weapons. The game acts like giving you enough regular titanite shards to upgrade every weapon for 10 playthroughs makes up for it.

Real bummer. So many cool soul weapons, and I just can't bring myself to buy them because I know they'll just sit there.

Actually crafting has never been better - most materials can be bough infinitely. And there are a ton of slabs.

Neoweee

Is it just me or is this the hardest SoulsBorne game so far? I have played them all (including Scholar) and I'm pretty sure I have died the most with DS3 even with the experience.

What is your build? Vigor to 25, Strength, and a Shield is my general advice for the game. I actually felt like it has a very good difficulty curve that way.

yay got that amazing ring from the 2
lizardshark fuckers
in a
nor londo. you can split them by shooting the right one and fighting at the ladder, otherwise I wouldnt be able to fight both tbh

That area was tough, felt like I was meant to come back to the area later when I was stronger but I just couldn't bring myself to give them a pass. The reward for taking them out is definitely worth it though. This is how I took them out.
pull the one on the left with a bow and arrow then climb up the ladder to about the height of the statues head you are high enough to not get hit from there. Once the Croco-Wolf is under the ladder jump off and plunge attack. You can try to climb the ladder right away or bait him over to the other side of that little area and then make a break for the ladder, If you need to heal just climb to the top and go back down. From there it's just repeating until you take them out. I think it took 3-4 plunging attacks each to finish them off. Once you have one down though it's much easier to just fight him regular.

Phionoxx

Having a lot of fun with the game but can't seem to get the various blue covenants to work that should be auto summoning me in.
Blue Sentinels and Watchdogs of Farron
- have had both of their pledge items equipped for long periods of time, haven't been summoned in due to them a single time.

This was low level 40s with a +4 weapon on PC. I don't understand it as I can help others as a sunbro no problem, can summon others to my world no problem, and I can invade with red eye orb no problem. Anyone else experiencing this?

I guess I could be too high leveled / weapon upgraded too high to get matches, but I haven't been farming for souls at all, outside of earning about 15 sunbro medals to help people out with bosses.

blackw0lf

Doesn't seem to be enough twinkling titanite, or titanite scales while playing normally. My longsword has yet to be beat, due to the normal upgrade mats needed. It's partially my fault, since I used some twinkling on a shield, but it still seems there should be more available early to mid game.

You'll be able to buy it from the Shrine vendor in Firelink eventually. If you've passed Farron's Keep you should have what you need to purchase it.

fozzy

I'm having quite a tough time up on the roofs of
cathedral of the deep

Used nearly all my embers. Maybe it's time to summon some help.

Audioboxer

Damn the
Smouldering Lake
is an absolute riot. Maybe stumbled in here early, although I found it before the boss
High Lord Wolnir
(who I haven't even killed yet).

Ferr986

I just now, at over lv80 and just past the
Dragonslayer Armour
, realized that unlike DS2 you don't have to be in ember form to leave co-op signs, only to summon people.

God dammit.

I guess I'll be starting my next playthrough from scratch.

You could always put signs to be summoned in hollow mode. It's basically the method to get a free unhollow.

Having a lot of fun with the game but can't seem to get the various blue covenants to work that should be auto summoning me in.
Blue Sentinels and Watchdogs of Farron
- have had both of their pledge items equipped for long periods of time, haven't been summoned in due to them a single time.

This was low level 40s with a +4 weapon on PC. I don't understand it as I can help others as a sunbro no problem, can summon others to my world no problem, and I can invade with red eye orb no problem. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah, these auto-summon covenants don't work for me too.

Holy goddamn shit the (area after forest area boss spoilers)
giant skeleton is so fucking terrible of a boss. Once you've got him to the third phase it's practically impossible to get to his bracelets to hit them. Pretty much instant kill dark spells and fucking hordes of skeletons are terrible. Easily the worst boss so far. I've tried summoning but the two guys I summon just die really easily, usually near the tail end of the battle.
Probably my favorite boss in terms of design so far as well. Guy looks great.

Forgot to ask, any tips? Seriously I'm burning through my embers like butter here. This isn't challenging, it's frustrating now.

I agree,
mechanically the fight isn't too difficult to understand, but it does have some weird quirks like being unable to hit hands in certain positions and hard-to-gauge instant kills that make it feel artificially/unfairly difficult. I can never quite tell where the darkness gas is going to actually cover and do damage, so I ended up dying to it a lot when I thought I was safe. I ended up beating the fight on a complete fluke, sort of a last-ditch, no-Estus-left death trap -- got pushed all the way to the back of the arena with both one of the bangles on the right wrist and the whole left wrist still active... And somehow, he never gassed me or did any of his huge AOEs or summoned adds, and I was able to consistently land blows on either remaining wrist. And it was by far the most worthless run of the boss I had done so far... So, sadly I don't have any tips. I think From should at least issue a patch to make the left wrist more accessible (i.e. don't let it clip into the ground where it can't be hit).

So at the
cleansing chapel
how do you open the left shortcut door? I've been there for hours now and still can't figure it out.
When you get to the water covered floor area where the giants are, go across to the other side (closer to the sitting second Giant by the boss area). There's a hallway with a dude and a couple dog things patrolling, you can avoid them but that's the hallway. There's a passage that takes you down some stairs and over to two doors. One opens the Cleansing Chapel door, the other opens an elevator that takes you up to some area with loot and such

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
P
rofane
C
apital
. Im so scared

Zophar

Did I just fuck myself out of getting the Darkmoon Blade by
talking to Rosaria and joining the Fingers?
I did not get the gesture from Sirris. Or is there a way to undo this? I'm pissed if I did.

Audioboxer

Needing a break after dying in the
Smouldering Lake

This game is absolutely huge. Obviously play time is increased by going in blind and scouring the areas, but I'm exhausted just now, and frustrated at dying after a long stint.

I'm having quite a tough time up on the roofs of
cathedral of the deep

Used nearly all my embers. Maybe it's time to summon some help.
Don't be afraid to run through it. Will probably take you a few tries but fuck that shit. Run through and find the next bonfire

That whole section is straight out of
Anor Londo
but more obnoxious

Midgame location question:

I can see a bonfire on a balcony of a big cathedral when I stand on that spinning contraption that takes you up to
Anor Londo
. No idea how to get there tho. Did I miss something during the
Boreal Valley
?

Navy Bean

Overall, I am not a fan of weapon level being used for matching. It heavily restricts the pool.

I have the game on Xbox and PS4 (forgot to cancel pre-order lol) and can co-op so much easier on PS4 at level 35-40 than on Xbox at level 80. Not sure why but on PS4 there are summon signs everywhere compared to Xbox.

Is it just me or is this the hardest SoulsBorne game so far? I have played them all (including Scholar) and I'm pretty sure I have died the most with DS3 even with the experience.

Toughest one to me, too, and I like that a lot. I came hot off of a replay of Bloodborne, which I cooped the entire way with a friend. I beat the vanilla game 3 times last year, so I was acting sort of as an assistant/tour guide to my friend, who was doing his first playthrough. It was, however, my first-ever playthrough of the DLC, which was fantastic and surprisingly challenging...

But man, Dark Souls III has been kicking my ass and making me feel good when I actually progress. I didn't quite hit so many roadblocks in Bloodborne. Feels like when I played Demon's Souls for the first time all over again, and that's a great feeling for me.

Normally, after beating
Yhorm, there is a cutscene in which you see your character being teleported by the old priestess and she tells you to go to Lothric Castle.

Huh, I don't remember it playing. Does it open up a teleport location that otherwise would be unavailable? If so I think I might be screwed.

neoism

sooo yeah the swamp area is tooo fucking big.

enemies give shit amount of souls like what the fuck. im only level 31 and still havent found a good place for a few dozen levels or something.

pvp is laggy as fuck.. 😞

im on ps4 and there is this werid flickering or something happening in the background areas far away that wasnt in BB

the rolling animations look off... over all i prefer BB character control

still love it and this to me is the hardest DS. but my god the begining is really a slooow burn.

Audioboxer

Toughest one to me, too, and I like that a lot. I came hot off of a replay of Bloodborne, which I cooped the entire way with a friend. I beat the vanilla game 3 times last year, so I was acting sort of as an assistant/tour guide to my friend, who was doing his first playthrough. It was, however, my first-ever playthrough of the DLC, which was fantastic and surprisingly challenging...

But man, Dark Souls III has been kicking my ass and making me feel good when I actually progress. I didn't quite hit so many roadblocks in Bloodborne. Feels like when I played Demon's Souls for the first time all over again, and that's a great feeling for me.

Yeah I'm struggling at parts as well. Enemies are much more aggressive, and many more do what we've been doing for many games now (turtling, parrying, going rambo, etc).

myco666

Aaaand done. Damn this game is good. Any recommendations for Strength weapons? Used Battle Axe from start to finish but don't really want to waste a slab on it.

Auctopus

I found it the easiest. died the least and no boss really frustrated me. Might be even with BB in difficulty. But BB has some outlying bosses.

Frillen

I thought you guys said Deacons of the Deep was easy!? I'm struggling like hell. Can't beat the second phase. I have a battle axe with a dark gem. Should I change weapon? Either they heal the boss or I get a curse and die. Any tips!?

Mandelbo

Found a lot of stuff today - all late gane spoilers, I believe:

So glad the eclipse from the leaks stayed in! It's totally the darksign in the sky, isn't it? Love how it persists when you go to the areas surrounding the Undead Settlement, unlike the bloodmoon in Bloodborne, which was only in Yharnam and Yahar'gul. I'm guessing it's probably there because time is rapidly running out, and the Lords of Cinder aren't on their thrones yet?

Also killed the Consumed King - didn't realise there was a boss coming up so I went in with Hawkmoon by accident, which ruined my run of soloing all the bosses so far :( Creepy dialogue during the fight, though.

I found the Untended Graves as well, which raises a lot of questions. I'm guessing the Untended Graves are the "real" area, and the Cemetary of Ash is "fake", if that's the right way of putting it, since that's clearly the real Gundyr. It could presumably be from the future or something too - I wonder if the Hollow Ashes appear there if you never meet Yoel? I picked up the Firekeeper Eyes, which was unnerving, and handed them over. I wished for a world without flame and the Shrine music changed. I'm guessing that's sealed what ending I'm getting. Really excited to see what happens!

Finally, I got to the Archdragon Peak as well. It's very pretty, but I haven't explored too much of it yet. Just killed the Ancient Wyvern and that's it.

Is there gonna be a lore thread at some point? I need to find the answers!

Sylas

If you've done the Watchdog of The Old Lords fight in Bloodborne it's pretty similar to that

As for how a caster would fare, RIP

He was a shitload easier on my caster compared to my melee character, actually! Magic stuns the hell out of him and you can get the Bloodborne-esque Visceral Attack on it immediately after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom