• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying bloodborne is unplayable is an exaggeration.

I've been called out for this a few times on GAF. Is it unplayable for like, 99% of the population? Nah. I'm sure you can get used to it, or at least push it to the back of your mind in an attempt to enjoy the game. That said, I can't. I've tried. I want to. But I obviously don't want to enough to get past it. The juddering catastrophe that is the framerate ruins an otherwise beautiful, fantastic Souls-esque game.

I'd love to play it someday, but I can't see myself getting into it again unless they patch it, release it on PC, or if there's a competent PS4 emulator in a few decades.

Audioboxer

My order with TGC was dispatched Friday morning, but unfortunately didn't arrive Saturday. Just a few hours until the postman arrives and the anticipation is killing me. Just done a 20k (exercise) bike ride, now I think I'll get the hoover out and give the living room a blast. Can't sit still!

lol, my man.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The frame issues in DS3 are not that bad. I found Blighttown unplayable in DS1. Nothing nearly that bad in DS3.

Nere

I've been called out for this a few times on GAF. Is it unplayable for like, 99% of the population? Nah. I'm sure you can get used to it, or at least push it to the back of your mind in an attempt to enjoy the game. That said, I can't. I've tried. I want to. But I obviously don't want to enough to get past it. The juddering catastrophe that is the framerate ruins an otherwise beautiful, fantastic Souls-esque game.

I'd love to play it someday, but I can't see myself getting into it again unless they patch it, release it on PC, or if there's a competent PS4 emulator in a few decades.

Then if the game is playable for 99% of the population that played it, the problem lies with you and not with the game.

Impulsor

Same, fps drops were noticeable sometimes but nothing that hindered my enjoyment with the game. Only when I checked gaf did I found out that people had such a problem with fps drops and were saying the game is unplayable due to that.
I didn't even know it was frame pacing until I came to GAF. I though it was just regular FPS stuttering.

I can't decide between Warrior or Knight for the life of me. Someone has to sway me. I don't care about magic.

Same here.

I'm really struggling with the decision and it isn't really that important in the long run.

Mafro

A question about the hub for those that have the game:
what's with the exits from Firelink Shrine sometimes having fog doors over them? It's annoying if I need to get outside and have to warp to the next closest bonfire

Then if the game is playable for 99% of the population that played it, the problem lies with you and not with the game.

The game is objectively flawed in a way that directly impacts gameplay. Whether or not you're willing to look past it is a commentary on your own patience for poor performance.

Personally, I'm not willing to ignore how stuttery it is. The game's failing is not reflective of me, nor is my standard negatively reflective of those who chose to ignore the issue and enjoy the game despite it's shortcomings.

what's with the exits from Firelink Shrine sometimes having fog doors over them? It's annoying if I need to get outside and have to warp to the next closest bonfire

I've seen it in a stream maybe the location is loading?
Or the area is off limits because you are missing something?

Auctopus

This is weird and I haven't figured it out yet, my best guess is that the area is still loading.
The devs assumed you would mainly use the hub for levelling, weapons etc.

Danny 117

It's loading the outside area. I kept thinking I was getting invaded lol

Are there many missables in this game? I like to get everything in a playthrough but I'm not gonna look at any guides first time through.
Just wondering if there is a lot of stuff like Licatial (sp?) quests in this one or if it's more like DkS1 where nothing was really missable (which I heavily preferred).

Youll have a hard time with one playthrough. There is A LOT of hidden stuff this time, Im on my third playthrough and im still seeing new stuff.

Sarcasm

I promise you with 100% conviction that the NPC quests are too obscure to do on your first playthrough. Not only are they difficult to find without being extremely vigilant, there is a correct order to do everything in and if you don't you lose the quest.

Lastly, some NPC quests cannot occur alongside others. You have to which is your priority.

So how do you even know what you missed? Lol

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

It's loading the outside area.

it cuts down loadtimes for when you just travel back for a quick level up/upgrade.

Tak3n

Banned
The game is objectively flawed in a way that directly impacts gameplay. Whether or not you're willing to look past it is a commentary on your own patience for poor performance.

Personally, I'm not willing to ignore how stuttery it is. The game's failing is not reflective of me, nor is my standard negatively reflective of those who chose to ignore the issue and enjoy the game despite it's shortcomings.

You sound like Total Biscuit, he refuses to play it because it is not 60FPS, you know the old argument

'your loss' :)

I still have two finals prior to being done with classes until the Fall but I think I'm going to pounce on this regardless.
I've been there Day 1 for all aside from Demon Souls, can't stop now.

ISee

It means that the area is loading.

how's the performance compared to bloodborne in 1.03?

Generally, worse. The problem is the framepacing.

Honestly though, those that came from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on the PS3, this is like a whole new light shining upon them. I mean those games had sub 20 fps back then WITH terrible framepacing and not to mention vertical sync issues.

Yeah, yeah it's not 60fps smooth like on the PC, so either deal with it or play it on the PC.

I'd say it's a bit better (only halfway through the game I think), but I can't really tell for sure. I haven't experienced any frame pacing issues until now though.

cool thanks. seems like 1.03 made the game playable for my standards.

i played trough bloodborne at launch before patches and remember being annoyed by the performance and i went back to it in hype for this and i found it to be perfectly fine, did they improve the performance post launch? if yes, are you comparing it to post-launch BB?

Generally, worse. The problem is the framepacing.

oh :(

Banzai

I promise you with 100% conviction that the NPC quests are too obscure to do on your first playthrough. Not only are they difficult to find without being extremely vigilant, there is a correct order to do everything in and if you don't you lose the quest.

Lastly, some NPC quests cannot occur alongside others. You have to which is your priority.

I'll do it perfectly just to prove you wrong!

...Nah okay, I will make my peace with not seeing/getting everything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Need to work on tuesday...Game unlocks around midnight, right? I guess I'll be destroyed tomorrow. Maybe I'll just make my character. I want to make him look like an exact copy of me...on the other hand a Guts look-alike would be cool.
(Sent you a pm, by the way! ;D)
Thank you!!!

Any word on whether it's possible to co-op with someone you know (i.e. someone on your friends list)? Could not seem to make that work with Bloodborne.

cool thanks. seems like 1.03 made the game playable for my standards.

i played trough bloodborne at launch before patches and remember being annoyed by the performance and i went back to it in hype for this and i found it to be perfectly fine, did they improve the performance post launch? if yes, are you comparing it to post-launch BB?

oh :(
If you can play bloodborne perfectly fine, you will be able to play Dark Souls 3 fine as well. Personally you can notice the FPS drops that does occur, but for the most part its only certain encounters from what I experienced. There is noting like Blighttown for example. I cant notice framepacing issues so that never bother me. Thus I cant comment on the framepacing issues.

Here is a link to Digital Foundry look into the fps, etc. However keep in mind this is before the current patch that "improved" things.

Daante

Waiting for a concrete analysis regarding minimum graphics card required to run the game in 1080/60, with the latest patch applied, and the most important settings maxed.

If a cheap card like gtx 960 or 380/380x (or even lower) can do this, i will probably buy the card and the pc version. If not i go with the PS4 version.

Oh i have also requested a day off from work this coming friday.

Bring it.

drotahorror

Any word on whether it's possible to co-op with someone you know (i.e. someone on your friends list)? Could not seem to make that work with Bloodborne.

It was bad at launch in BB, but now it's pretty straight forward. Just have to be in the same area as your friend (passworded of course).

I got DS3 a couple of weeks ago on XB1. I'm not really feeling it.

On my first run, I chose Knight, and played with shield and spear. That was my playstyle in Dark Souls 1, which worked for me there, but I kept getting wrecked as turtling just isn't viable here. Enemies are far too aggressive, with even the early areas throwing multiple enemies at you at once, or massive enemies who can take out your entire stamina bar with one hit. I made it to the
Road of Sacrifices
and stopped as I was getting too frustrated. I was doing far too little damage to enemies, and they would get past my shield in no time.

A friend came over, and we started a new character, and decided to go with a Pyromancer. We focused more on dodging which worked out better. Made it to the same point before stopping, as he had to leave.

I decided to start a third character on my own, and went with Warrior. Again, I decided to concentrate more on dodging than using shields. I beat
Vordt
and stopped.

I'm now undecided as to whether to continue with my Pyromancer or Warrior. I keep reading conflicting things about how viable Pyromancy is. It worked pretty well for me so far, but I've seen some people say that it becomes unfeasible in the long run due to casting time. But then I've also seen some people say it works fine against most bosses. So which is it? Is straight up melee or a pyromancer a better build?

I really think Dark Souls 3 is overly difficult for the wrong reasons; I've beat Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne (DLC for both included), and neither felt as relentless as Dark Souls 3. I feel like Dark Souls 3 was just being punishing for the sake of it, as it's incredibly common to be ganked by multiple enemies, encounter incredibly strong "sub-bosses" frequently and early in the game (such as the
guys with massive snakes coming out of their heads
, or the
ice-knight thing that guards the entrance to the Road of Sacrifices
. Then there's also the fact that you start with very few estus flasks, and each one restores a pathetic amount of HP. I know they can be upgraded, but it's going to be a long time before I feel like I have good healing potential.

Personally, I think Dark Souls 3 is a good game, but a poor "Soulsborne" game. I've only played Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, but I infinitely prefer both of them. I'm hoping I'll change my mind eventually, and that finding a playstyle that works for me makes me appreciate the game more. But I find myself unable to play it the same ways I played DS1 or Bloodborne.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I JUST GOT A TEXT THAT THE GAME HAS ARRIVED, READY TO GET PICKED UP

Robiin

I am so hyped, and I work late tonight so I get off at 11.15 pm. The game unlocks midnight (Norway) and I have two days off afterwards so everything would have worked out perfectly, if it wasn't for the fact that I for some reason ended up with insomnia or something for like one night. Slept for five minutes and woke up by a bad dream, couldn't fall asleep again. So now after work tonight I will probably be exhausted. I am already exhausted, and I don't even start my shift for a few hours :/ anyone have any tips for me to survive the day except red bull?

Sorry for rambling.

I JUST GOT A TEXT THAT THE GAME HAS ARRIVED, READY TO GET PICKED UP
I remember reading your updates regarding DS2 (or was it Bloodborne?), when you posted pictures of your street waiting for the mailman. Good times. Have fun dude, I know you've been waiting a long time (even though you played it already).

masterkajo

I got DS3 a couple of weeks ago on XB1. I'm not really feeling it.

On my first run, I chose Knight, and played with shield and spear. That was my playstyle in Dark Souls 1, which worked for me there, but I kept getting wrecked as turtling just isn't viable here. Enemies are far too aggressive, with even the early areas throwing multiple enemies at you at once, or massive enemies who can take out your entire stamina bar with one hit. I made it to the
Road of Sacrifices
and stopped as I was getting too frustrated. I was doing far too little damage to enemies, and they would get past my shield in no time.

A friend came over, and we started a new character, and decided to go with a Pyromancer. We focused more on dodging which worked out better. Made it to the same point before stopping, as he had to leave.

I decided to start a third character on my own, and went with Warrior. Again, I decided to concentrate more on dodging than using shields. I beat
Vordt
and stopped.

I'm now undecided as to whether to continue with my Pyromancer or Warrior. I keep reading conflicting things about how viable Pyromancy is. It worked pretty well for me so far, but I've seen some people say that it becomes unfeasible in the long run due to casting time. But then I've also seen some people say it works fine against most bosses. So which is it? Is straight up melee or a pyromancer a better build?

Thing is, you have to go with what works for you. In Dark Souls PvE pretty much any build is viable if it fits your playstyle. That is the beauty of Dark Souls.

I personally went with a Dex Katana into Pyro later in Dark Souls 1 (blind playthrough) and rolled with it again in Dark Souls 2. Will pick it this time as well regardless if Pyro is "good" or "not". I just love having no shield and playing fast and dodging left and right with the occasional Fireball or weapon and body buff.

Ferr986

I am so hyped, and I work late tonight so I get off at 11.15 pm. The game unlocks midnight (Norway) and I have two days off afterwards so everything would have worked out perfectly, if it wasn't for the fact that I for some reason ended up with insomnia or something for like one night. Slept for five minutes and woke up by a bad dream, couldn't fall asleep again. So now after work tonight I will probably be exhausted. I am already exhausted, and I don't even start my shift for a few hours :/ anyone have any tips for me to survive the day except red bull?

Sorry for rambling.

I remember reading your updates regarding DS2 (or was it Bloodborne?), when you posted pictures of your street waiting for the mailman. Good times. Have fun dude, I know you've been waiting a long time (even though you played it already).

You said you have 2 days off. I would just sleep. You don't really enjoy anything in that state , atleast IMO (that shit happens to me sometimes). I would rather being able to fully enjoy the first time with the game in a good state.

Shari

I have a couple of question guys.

How long into the game since we can start coop? Is there a tutorial section?

Thats all, my first playthrough is going to be with a friend and I want to setup as fast as possible with the least amount of spoilers.

This day can't go through fast enough :S

I have a couple of question guys.

How long into the game since we can start coop? Is there a tutorial section?

Thats all, my first playthrough is going to be with a friend and I want to setup as fast as possible with the least amount of spoilers.

This day can't go through fast enough :S
After the tutorial section, you can buy
the white sign soapstone from the old lady

Audioboxer

You said you have 2 days off. I would just sleep. You don't really enjoy anything in that state , atleast IMO (that shit happens to me sometimes). I would rather being able to fully enjoy the first time with the game in a good state.

Yup.

Playing a Souls game tired is a recipe for rage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Green Man Gaming ‏@GreenManGaming 2h2 hours ago
DARK SOULS III PRE-ORDER UPDATE! Keys are being processed and will be heading out over the next few hours.

Yoshichan

Sorry for rambling.

HELL YEAH I REMEMBER IT SO CLEARLY

IT WAS DARK SOULS 1

SHIT WAS SO FUCKING JYPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom