• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Got the game yesterday and just a quick starter question: was there really only one path to go to after the tutorial level and arriving in
Firelink shrine: the warp to the castle
?

Yes. There's some secrets scattered around the shrine but no passages to go anywhere meaningful (as in to a boss fight) that early on.

Vitten

Yes. There's some secrets scattered around the shrine but no passages to go anywhere meaningful (as in to a boss fight) that early on.

Thank, slightly disappointed then about the linear opening. Hope it opens up further on.

Castle's cool though. Heavy flashbacks from Demon's 1-1 level.

Laws00

I took a day off of work for thissss

Been trying to keep in the dark about this game but its been hard as hell.

I've seen streams. Maybe about less then 30 minutes of game play

Fuck man. Is the streaming community done with this game?

Is it just us commoners who didn't get the early access for it yet that want to play it now?

One of my friends is getting it digitally on PS4 and his preload has already finished. I think you can initiate it from the library.

Hmmm, after checking, it was already downloading something. But it's only 4.5GB in size (more or less), so that can't be the full game though :/

Brick

Hmmm, after checking, it was already downloading something. But it's only 4.5GB in size (more or less), so that can't be the full game though :/

It'll load the rest once that's done. Mine did the same, then downloaded a 20 gig (or so) file after that.

mileS

"If you own a pc get it there instead" ugh I find statements like that incredibly annoying. This is not DS2 on pc. This is not DmC on pc. Both games had beyond incredible performance and optimization. Not sure if people fully understand the cpu and gpu needed to keep a locked 60 for DS3. I'm not saying it's a garbage port or it has really really bad optimization, but come on. If your pc can handle a locked 60 in this game it should be a no brainer. This is obvious. Question is just how many people have a pc like that. Some of us (myself included) have to wait a while for a new pc. Simply don't have the funds right now for that. So you either wait or jump in with the console version. I can't really wait and I'm sure I'll enjoy it on ps4. Most of the time the technical issues people talk about are a little overblown. Take Bloodbourne for example. I consider myself very framerate sensitive but I didn't have a serious issue playing that game. It got chunky in the odd spot and the framepacing got annoying if you really focused on it. Didn't take away from it being an incredible experience overall.

RedSnake

I was ok with waiting untill tomorrow for the game to come out.
I get a call today saying I've got a meeting tomorrow.

I don't know when I'll be back home.

I need this game to come out today now or someone will perish.

"If you own a pc get it there instead" ugh I find statements like that incredibly annoying. This is not DS2 on pc. This is not DmC on pc. Both games had beyond incredible performance and optimization. Not sure if people fully understand the cpu and gpu needed to keep a locked 60 for DS3. I'm not saying it's a garbage port or it has really really bad optimization, but come on. If your pc can handle a locked 60 in this game it should be a no brainer. This is obvious. Question is just how many people have a pc like that. Some of us (myself included) have to wait a while for a new pc. Simply don't have the funds right now for that. So you either wait or jump in with the console version. I can't really wait and I'm sure I'll enjoy it on ps4. Most of the time the technical issues people talk about are a little overblown. Take Bloodbourne for example. I consider myself very framerate sensitive but I didn't have a serious issue playing that game. It got chunky in the odd spot and the framepacing got annoying if you really focused on it. Didn't take away from it being an incredible experience overall.
Don't bother about those people. I have a very good PC and still bought the PS4 version of DS3.

Shit less than twelve hours to go. Perfect timing for EST release, I can go to work and burn time while I wait.

So happy to not have to lurk and be careful of spoilers in the import OT.

aravuus

Uh, we say that because even the weaker PCs around here are most likely capable of running the game at a locked 30 fps, which, mind you, is still much better than how the game fares on consoles.

I want everyone to experience the game the best way they can, so of course I'm going to recommend PC every time someone asks. No need to take it so hard.

Decided to buy on PC. Any preorder over GMG? If so, receive your info yet?

The codes should be going out very soon, apparently. Still haven't got mine.

CHC

This'll be the first and last time I complain about the western release date but I will say that it sucks feeling late to the party on this. I'll miss the sense of discovery when playing along and reading the OT.

drotahorror

This'll be the first and last time I complain about the western release date but I will say that it sucks feeling late to the party on this. I'll miss the sense of discovery when playing along and reading the OT.

Yea it's sucked knowing people have been playing and beating the shit out of it for several weeks now.

But it also sucks that the Steam version unlocks several hours before the ps4 version hah. I go from being jealous of the asian folk, to jealous of steam buyers now. I could have gone PC but I got buddies on PS4.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone link a well made story & lore summary for both DS1 and 2? It's been a while.

CHC

Yea it's sucked knowing people have been playing and beating the shit out of it for several weeks now.

But it also sucks that the Steam version unlocks several hours before the ps4 version hah. I go from being jealous of the asian folk, to jealous of steam buyers now. I could have gone PC but I got buddies on PS4.

Oh well if it makes you feel any better I have it preloaded but I won't be playing until Wednesday! It's a tradition that I at least start these games with this friend of mine and we couldn't do it on Tuesday.

psychotron

I'm both excited and terrified for this release. I beat Bloodborne multiple times, and am currently at Sinners Rise in DaS2: SOTFS. Starting class is always a pain for me. In DaS2, I went with a Knight, and have been using a shield and Claymore for most of the game. Would a similar build be efficient in this game? If the pace is faster, more like Bloodborne, anyone have any recommendations?

artsi

Characters have weight to them yes? So it isnt just Bloodborne speed and rolls?

It's a bit faster than previous games, but not as fast as Bloodborne, I think?

I've played up until the
giant boss
on PS4, but purchased on PC just now. I need that 60fps and 1440p.

derFeef

Just ordered the collectors edition with the statue for XB1, but will play mainly on PC. It's nice to have things... *cough* I am stupid.

Hey guys, I have a question for people who have the game early;

So, people on reddit / elsewhere have said that "magic" as a whole is not as effective as it used to be, partially due to it taking a lot more stat investment to git gud and partially due to casting times being too slow to keep up with the increased combat speed.

But a lot of the criticism I see seems to be leveled at Sorcery in particular. What I want to know is how are miracles effected. I'm not on about lightning bro spam, I'm on about healing miracles. I loved healing people as a Sunbro in DS2 so the state of miracles at present is going to massively influence my build choice for both solo PVE and co-op.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jobbs

Banned
Playing on Xbox one right now. Started as assassin and kept with this concept of spells and swords. Wrecking with broad sword and magic weapon. Using broad sword makes me feel like I'm playing Bloodborne for some reason.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, though I never managed to make that work. You have any luck with it?

I cooped with friends a lot on my play through. Works really well.

So, people on reddit / elsewhere have said that "magic" as a whole is not as effective as it used to be, partially due to it taking a lot more stat investment to git gud and partially due to casting times being too slow to keep up with the increased combat speed.

But a lot of the criticism I see seems to be leveled at Sorcery in particular. What I want to know is how are miracles effected. I'm not on about lightning bro spam, I'm on about healing miracles. I loved healing people as a Sunbro in DS2 so the state of miracles at present is going to massively influence my build choice for both solo PVE and co-op.

I played a DEX/Faith build and found miracles really useful for flask use mitigation.

Also, seek guidance was a really useful spell. Miracles are fine for healing and non combat stuff, IMO.

Jobbs

Banned

I can't speak for magic but I played a faith char and went 34 faith and obtained greater lightning spear and a plus 6 catalyst and it did comically low damage . absolutely useless. If they're sane they'll buff it.

Sanctuary

I guess the assumption is that you have a PC that's still more powerful than a console? Being able to keep it locked at even 30fps would still give an overall smoother playthrough than on the consoles due to the frame pacing issues still existing. It's not about 60fps or nothing.

But if Bloodborne didn't bother you (I noticed it too, but it didn't detract from my overall experience aside from Old Yharnam, and I just got used to it), then it doesn't really matter what system you get this game for I suppose.

Nuszka

Just did some testing on my Jap copy with invasion. EU based so when i had cross region play enabled i had no problems connecting with people, when i set it to restricted to region i assumed it will only connect me with players from Japan but it seems to check the region I'm located which is good, it was harder to find people for obvious reasons and anyone i found was using pretty "english" id's, oh and they quit on me... Seems about right.

Hypron

I guess the assumption is that you have a PC that's still more powerful than a console? Being able to keep it locked at even 30fps would still give an overall smoother playthrough than on the consoles due to the frame pacing issues still existing. It's not about 60fps or nothing.

Even disregarding frame pacing, the framerate drops at some points in the game on consoles. A locked 30fps would be a massive improvement in comparison.

Carcetti

I can't speak for magic but I played a faith char and went 34 faith and obtained greater lightning spear and a plus 6 catalyst and it did comically low damage . absolutely useless. If they're sane they'll buff it.

Pyromancy with equal int/faith is as strong as STR 2-hander build when it comes to destroying stuff. Great Chaos Fireball and Black Fireballs wreck stuff.

nkarafo

Ok so what are the best stats to increase if you go for a Knight/sword+shield type? Are there any stats to ignore (like resistance in DS1)?

Sanctuary

Even disregarding frame pacing, the framerate drops at some points in the game on consoles. A locked 30fps would be a massive improvement in comparison.

Right, I wasn't speaking exclusively of the frame pacing, only that it shouldn't exist on even a low end gaming PC. That's why I underlined locked.

Decided to buy on PC. Any preorder over GMG? If so, receive your info yet?

If you haven't ordered yet, try Gamesplanet. Their price was the same as GMG (I live in NA though, so dunno) and they sent a key pretty much instantly.

Just did some testing on my Jap copy with invasion. EU based so when i had cross region play enabled i had no problems connecting with people, when i set it to restricted to region i assumed it will only connect me with players from Japan but it seems to check the region I'm located which is good, it was harder to find people for obvious reasons and anyone i found was using pretty "english" id's, oh and they quit on me... Seems about right.

LOL

Pyromancy with equal int/faith is as strong as STR 2-hander build when it comes to destroying stuff. Great Chaos Fireball and Black Fireballs wreck stuff.

Is the weapon that
returns FP on a kill
worth using? Or is the scaling not so hot for INT/FTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom