• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOz

Short bus special
So I have a question about
Greirat. When he says he'll go out and steal shit, does he mean from other NPCs in firelink shrine? If I say yes, what happens? I haven't done it and haven't really talked to him a long time, so I'm just curious. Should I go back and say yes?

NPC spoilers.

Not from other people no.

He scavenges places you unlock in the game. So yeah, you should say yes. Specially because the inventory updates after he's been out.

I thought you guys said Deacons of the Deep was easy!? I'm struggling like hell. Can't beat the second phase. I have a battle axe with a dark gem. Should I change weapon? Either they heal the boss or I get a curse and die. Any tips!?
It's not "easy" but it's very straightforward. I haven't beaten it yet, I switched to HSGS and upgraded it a bit, now I'm destroying with every swing

Don't know if you've noticed but curses are caused by the tall dudes "polluting" the air. Kill them (easy backstabs) and the curse meter goes down. I haven't experienced the healing, but yeah seriously just keep swinging. The only struggle is that it's easy to get stuck in a pinball scenario

Tiamant

Man, I knew this game would be not for the weak of heart, but sheesh, I'm constantly stressing out, lol.

I'm the type of gamer that likes to analyse situations and take time for choices. It's why I like games like Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham games, in which you often have the possibility to monitor your enemies, sneak up on them, strike and hide. I used Eagle Vision and Detective Mode all the time :p

That sort of thing kind of hard to do in DS3 so far, but I'm learning. I beat the first boss in one go, so I guess I don't completely suck at it. I did have just a tiny, tiny little bit of health left though..

I'm finding the atmosphere and graphics overwhelmingly good, by the way. It's oozing dedication.

Sounds like ypu should have started as an Assassin. They have a spell that allows you to sneak up into enemies, it's very useful.

Ferrio

Banned
I should really write down those places I intend to revisit. Always forget about some path I told myself I'd come down and check out after I get done with another path.

Soulflarz

Banned
I should really write down those places I intend to revisit. Always forget about some path I told myself I'd come down and check out after I get done with another path.

heey you're here

Was it really a year ago that we did a bloodborne OT thing?

Most of the regulars from that aren't really here :<

So absolutely no one knows what a shattered covenant icon means? Clearly it must mean I can't use the covenant anymore. So anyone with way of the blue and is hollow is it shattered too?

deoee

Any thing I can do against
the Jailor "curse"? It's insane how fast I loose everything and there is so much of them o.o

Menome

PS4: Is anybody willing to trade me the armour that Y
uria
drops when killed? I may be able to swap some items from the early-game/Crow-swap if you've missed them and I've not sold them. I'm as far as having defeated the A
byss
W
atchers
boss.

J-Rod

So I have a question about
Greirat. When he says he'll go out and steal shit, does he mean from other NPCs in firelink shrine? If I say yes, what happens? I haven't done it and haven't really talked to him a long time, so I'm just curious. Should I go back and say yes?

NPC spoilers.

He wants to go to areas to find loot. He won't bother other npcs. You should let him go the first time as I think he always comes back. The second time will require some conditions to be met for him to survive and come back. The third time he always dies, or the conditions to prevent him from dying are unknown. If he does die on the 2nd or 3rd trip, you can find his ashes in the zone he went to scour. The ashes can be given to the handmaiden for his items.

Brick

There's an item in the Crucifixion Woods, left to the stairs where you drop to Farron Keep. It's on a stupid ledge, can't jump on it. There's nothing quite around it. How do I get it?

Go into the keep behind you in the water. There is a path that leads above the item, where you can drop down.

Slixshot

Banned
Wait, what do you mean by that? I tried not hitting the bracelets and it was so slow I knew I'd die to something.

Dark Souls bro! You gotta be patient. It chips away and he'll keep swinging away and doing the same things. You just gotta be careful about the mist and his left arm slamming down some magic AOE attack. But it's ALL the right side. (at least for me)

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
Please help.... NPC in Firelink spoiler:

I sent that pilgrim to Firelink. I think he offered to teach me magic or something. Since I don't need that I visited him some hours later.... and he seems to be dead! But there is no loot whatsoever. Is there again a NPC in the hub murdering my friends?!

vladdamad

After giving it some thought, I have to say I would rank this towards the lower end of the Souls series. That still means that it is a great game, obviously, but it moves just a bit too much away from what I love about the series. If you are only playing through this game once, you will have a great time, but on replays, since you are completely limited in terms of area progression (except for some very minor exceptions such as choosing to tackle one of two areas first) it is a lot less exciting. Honestly, it's kind of shocking how linear the overall progression is - I'm not talking about each individual area, obviously, I'm talking about the world design. There's no longer any moments like in the first Dark Souls where you can run to the Catacombs to get the Great Scythe within the first 15 minutes, or the Great Club in Lower Blighttown with the Master Key. This sort of sequence breaking was absolutely ingenious, and it's a shame that they've been slowly removing this aspect from the series.

I'm also really not a fan of the story/lore, which struggles from the same problems as The Force Awakens - it seems like there is a really strong attempt to pay homage to the original, but obviously the second time around there is a lot less impact. Thankfully, the art is absolutely spectacular, as well as the soundtrack.

END GAME SPOILERS, do not read unless you have beaten the game:
so if I understand correctly, does this mean that Anor Londo sank over the centuries in between these games, becoming a valley in the process? Because if the Grand Archives are in fact Duke's Archives (which seems likely, due to the Seath related items and the general look of the area), then they seem way too high up above the Cathedral. Also, the Demon Ruins are extremely close to Boreal Valley, which makes it seem that this is the case.

If I understand correctly, the final boss is every person who has linked the flame, including your character from DS1 (which is why they can use all the different types of abilities from the series). Very cool, especially when the piano music kicks in that is similar to Gwyn's theme.

Plum

Dark Souls bro! You gotta be patient. It chips away and he'll keep swinging away and doing the same things. You just gotta be careful about the mist and his left arm slamming down some magic AOE attack. But it's ALL the right side. (at least for me)

Ah, I see. But what about the skeletons he summons? He spawns them even in the first phase and they're the thing tripping me up. If I keep attacking him can I just stop that from happening?

antitrop

Well, the giant wolf on the bridge at the entrance to
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
just surpassed Ornstein and Smough as the most amount of times I've died to any one single encounter in any game of the series.

I have to be well over 20 deaths to it right now.

Ferr986

I think I'm gonna like this game OST way more than Souls 1.

There seems to be more dark-slow paced boss themes, and that's my jam for boss battles. Seems like there's more Kimatuna this time.

pablito

Early covenant question

I beat the tree boss before joining the Mound Makers covenant. I read something about having to join it later on now. How much later, exactly? I want that katana :(

J-Rod

Please help.... NPC in Firelink spoiler:

I sent that pilgrim to Firelink. I think he offered to teach me magic or something. Since I don't need that I visited him some hours later.... and he seems to be dead! But there is no loot whatsoever. Is there again a NPC in the hub murdering my friends?!

He always dies after a certain point of game progression. Don't remember exactly when, but after a particular boss.

Further info/spoils:

If you accept his gift (free levels) 5 times before he dies another npc will show up in his place.

just surpassed Ornstein and Smough as the most amount of times I've died to any one single encounter in any game of the series.

Yeah after 3 attempts I just ran....

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Third boss down. Having a great time. I'm loving all the callbacks so far.

In particular, S
iegward doing the role reversal is hilarious.

The easiest way to beat him is to keep your distance at all times and hope that he goes for the lightning attack and then rush in and back off. You can easily take out a quarter of his health during his channeling.

Those gargoyle enemies in RoS are annoying as hell when there's more than one at a time. There's a group of about half a dozen of them right before the second bonfire. I'd usually draw one a two off to deal separately and to thin the heard with a bow but don't have the stats for one. They seemed to spring from nowhere. Got gangbanged repeatedly by about 4 of them when I thought there was only a couple left and lost a ton of souls in the process.

I noticed the little mushroom guys from DS2 just past that, seems like another huge area just after Undead Settlement which was also huge.

The tree boss I killed first time, but I thought it was a cool boss and is probably what Bed Of Chaos should have been before it was made in to Dragon God mk2.

Alucrid

Banned
i've been using the estoc because it's too good, but i want to get back to using ultra greatswords. what's the most comparable one to ludwigs moveset?

J-Rod

Early covenant question

I beat the tree boss before joining the Mound Makers covenant. I read something about having to join it later on now. How much later, exactly? I want that katana :(

After you kill 3 lords of cinder. Just make sure you don't join Rosetta's fingers and stay on Yuria's good side until then.

Doop

Not from other people no.

He scavenges places you unlock in the game. So yeah, you should say yes. Specially because the inventory updates after he's been out.

He wants to go to areas to find loot. He won't bother other npcs. You should let him go the first time as I think he always comes back. The second time will require some conditions to be met for him to survive and come back. The third time he always dies, or the conditions to prevent him from dying are unknown. If he does die on the 2nd or 3rd trip, you can find his ashes in the zone he went to scour. The ashes can be given to the handmaiden for his items.

Thanks guys. I was a bit too paranoid I guess.

Mandelbo

So absolutely no one knows what a shattered covenant icon means? Clearly it must mean I can't use the covenant anymore. So anyone with way of the blue and is hollow is it shattered too?

Are you embered? The cracks in the icon show when you're embered. It has nothing to do with covenants.

Armaly

Anyone mind explaining how the
wardens work? Is it as long as they have line of site on me my health cap lowers? I have to play with low lighting so I can't see fog or smoke while in the dark. The skeleton boss was a bitch due to this.

Go into the keep behind you in the water. There is a path that leads above the item, where you can drop down.

Thanks, got it.

There's another item on top of the wall, in the castle just before you reach the third boss
Crystal Sage
. Anyone have any idea how to get to that upper level of the castle?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone mind explaining how the
wardens work? Is it as long as they have line of site on me my health cap lowers? I have to play with low lighting so I can't see fog or smoke while in the dark. The skeleton boss was a bitch due to this.

They have to have lit their lantern and are targeting you. Just hustle and kill.

Auctopus

Said earlier in the thread that it's the hardest enemy in the game, including bosses. The snap/bite attack is brutal.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I held off on these games as I never got one around release and thus would miss out when they're at their prime in terms of the multiplayer features, but as a Dark Souls virgin what's some good beginner's advice to keep in mind? And more specifically, what are some good tips for Dark Souls III specifically?

usp84

Uhh so i am stuck.

I've killed 5 bosses 1st one,
Vordt,Tree, Sage and Deacons.Did i miss something in the Cathedral?I even killed the two Giants and the one big door led to nowhere.Also i still havent figured out how to open one of the doors next to the Bonfire.What do the levers at the giants even do?

Any help?

J-Rod

I ran away from that giant wolf. You eventually go through a magic barrier that stops him and he despawns. I went back to kill him, but I guess he does not respawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom