• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

Lost 1 invasion out of 30 or so today. If anyone wants to dual let me know - so happy that I can finally fight people consecutively.

Trickster

Just reached the boss
Champion Gundyr
...what were they thinking with this? Practically no moments where you can get an attack in. And god help you if you don't dodge practically everything.

Is there any bonfire in Carthus? I made it to
High Lord Wolnir
but got rocked because I was all outta estus.
Spooky af boss though.
Dude popped outta the darkness like "surprise mowfukka,
No bonfires mowfukka.

Demoskinos

Anyone know the difference between Charcoal Pine Resin and Charcoal Pine Bundles? Both seem to add fire damage but I don't want to waste items to try to find the difference.

Also does this
Giant Tree
fucker have any weakness to fire or magic?

Do you guys know how the Flynn's Ring works?

Also, should I attach a gem to my current weapon (Claymore) now or save for later?

Flynn's Ring gives your weapon more damage proportional to the combined amount of weight your currently equipped items have. Your armor, your rings, and your weapons all count for this.

The lower your weight, the more damage you'll get out of the ring. Being completely naked will net you the highest bonus damage.

BizzyBum

Lost 1 invasion out of 30 or so today. If anyone wants to dual let me know - so happy that I can finally fight people consecutively.

Any advice on a STR build with a Knight? I'm only level 30 and still using the starting armor and a +2 Broadsword but by limited time with PvP so far seems I'm no match.

Is there any bonfire in Carthus? I made it to
High Lord Wolnir
but got rocked because I was all outta estus.
Spooky af boss though.
Dude popped outta the darkness like "surprise mowfukka,
No bonfires mowfukka.
There is one, explore
those tunnels right before the cavern with the bridge. The skeleton ball will rolled back and forth past the bonfire.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
, man. I think I've hit my first brick wall in the game.

Really? I killed him in like 3 tries but wiped on
Abyss Watchers and Dancer
for like 2 hours each.

when did the second phase activate and did you have to deal with bullet hell

I got shit on in that fight about 10 times in a row, then instead of going for RT attacks, I did RB attacks. For some reason, after switching to RB, the second phase didn't trigger until the thing was about dead. I just ran in and killed it quickly. weird fight.

I just ran in 4 uchi slashes.
Rinse and repeat..that was it.
Every time it reappeared.
Rush in-4 slashes.
It was over laughably quick and no im not overleveled.
No bullet hell to speak of.
It was embarassing

UberLevi

What's everyone's ring setups? I'm using C
loranthy
Ring, H
avel's
Ring, C
arthus Blood
ring, and L
eo
Ring currently.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this is such a drag!

I don't have rivatuner set to open upon startup so I have to enable it every time to lock my frame rate at 40. But Dark Souls also resets my lighting from low which is required to even play the game. But I forget about both these things each day when I turn it on. So I always seem the game running with max lighting at 60fps when I turn it on before I remember I have to cut out the lighting and slow it down.

I feel like I'm getting really good mileage on my 680, it can keep up for the most part. But after 2 hours of fraps monitoring it does jump around too much for what I'm used to, so I made the decision to cap it pretty conservatively at 40 just to be sure it's rock solid.

E92 M3

Any advice on a STR build with a Knight? I'm only level 30 and still using the starting armor and a +2 Broadsword but by limited time with PvP so far seems I'm no match.

The most important thing: Pick a weapon with a moveset you like. Don't only choose the most popular weapons. Personally, I'm a DEX guy, but practice your parrying if you use shields. Also, don't over commit with your stamina.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

psychotron

Beat
Vordt
on my second try with the Claymore. Just got to
Undead Settlement
and holy Bloodborne!!! The game seems to be really stingy on souls. I figured I'd get a good amount from the boss, but nope. Really need to up my equip load capacity.

...I am super suspicious of this
draw out true strength
choice from the p
ilgrim
who you invite to the shrine. It
doesn't use souls
and I can't tell what it does use/take into account/change so...damn yo, this is really intriguing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh for fucks sake. Think the Anri quest-line has glitched out on me. Spoilers for the Ithiril church of Yorshka bit:

There was no assassin in there to "not kill". Wasn't in the corner as statue. Nothing :( No dark ending for me I guess!

Soulflarz

Banned
Damn this is such a drag!

I don't have rivatuner set to open upon startup so I have to enable it every time to lock my frame rate at 40. But Dark Souls also resets my lighting from low which is required to even play the game. But I forget about both these things each day when I turn it on. So I always seem the game running with max lighting at 60fps when I turn it on before I remember I have to cut out the lighting and slow it down.

I feel like I'm getting really good mileage on my 680, it can keep up for the most part. But after 2 hours of fraps monitoring it does jump around too much for what I'm used to, so I made the decision to cap it pretty conservatively at 40 just to be sure it's rock solid.

Why would you lock it at 40 though?

What's everyone's ring setups? I'm using C
loranthy
Ring, H
avel's
Ring, C
arthus Blood
ring, and L
eo
Ring currently.

chloranthy, estus, FaP, ...and I kind of forget my 4th, but I remember it was important :x

Oh for fucks sake. Think the Anri quest-line has glitched out on me. Spoilers for the Ithiril church of Yorshka bit:

There was no assassin in there to "not kill". Wasn't in the corner as statue. Nothing :( No dark ending for me I guess!

Same
You didn't find them

Carry on, because by definition, your inability to find them means you didn't trigger the killing of him
(or something. I'm saying you can totally continue off that, because I f'd up just like you)

I say inability because I have no idea how it's supposed to trigger or if we were idiots >_>

So. I just met the red Knight Slayer Tsorig and I died and you WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.
That fucker gave me a 'my thanks' emote
What kind of sick joke is this Miyazaki.
I love this game so much.

Iorv3th

I invaded and killed 20 people today for F
erron covenant
but turning in the items I turned in 10 and got one item. Then thought if I turned in another 10 I would get the next item. But do you have to turn in 20 all at once? I don't understand how that works. But I got nothing for the second 10 I turned in except strengthened my rank.

Edit: NM I just looked it up it's 30 for next.

Anyone know the difference between Charcoal Pine Resin and Charcoal Pine Bundles? Both seem to add fire damage but I don't want to waste items to try to find the difference.

Also does this
Giant Tree
fucker have any weakness to fire or magic?

The Resin lasts longer, the bundles are shorter lasting.

burgerdog

10 hours in, level 25, and four bosses down. I have killed three of those bosses on first attempt, only Vordt has managed to kill me so far. I'm taking my sweet time going through every zone trying to find every item and shortcut. Absolutely loving the game, I just hope the difficulty ramps up a bit soon cuz right now I refuse to level anymore due to the difficulty of the four bosses I've killed.

UberLevi

Anyone else get their mind blown when they saw this portrait in
Irithyll
and started putting the pieces together?

CtUDd1C.jpg

Soulsbros, I need your help. I can't figure out for the life of me, why some weapons I have, either don't show up on the weapon infusion screen. As in I click infuse weapon, and some weapons I have in my inventory (like the Pontiff Knight Curved Sword) aren't in the list. Or some weapons, like Uchigatana, I can't use my sharp stone on it?

soultron

Banned
Hey dudes, I have a really dumb question. I'm in the middle of writing a piece on the tutorial area, Cemetery of Ash, and I've played through that part of the game 4 times already to gather the necessary screenshots and find all the paths before IG.

One thing I didn't cover, however, is what happens to the player if they die before lighting the very first bonfire before IG. Do they simply get sent back to the absolute starting spot, at the sarcophagus they emerged from after they finished the create-a-character bit?

burgerdog

Hey dudes, I have a really dumb question. I'm in the middle of writing a piece on the tutorial area, Cemetery of Ash, and I've played through that part of the game 4 times already to gather the necessary screenshots and find all the paths before IG.

One thing I didn't cover, however, is what happens to the player if they die before lighting the very first bonfire before IG. Do they simply get sent back to the absolute starting spot, at the sarcophagus they emerged from after they finished the create-a-character bit?

Correct.

If you
attack the little pods/zits on his limbs they will eventually explode and deal a chunk of his health away and you just need to compete rinsing and repeating. They won't respawn so you have to hit different ones each time until they are all broken. I found it was best to focus on his back while he swings his front branches back and forth and then focus on them when he isn't attacking.

Gotcha, I'll try that. Thanks!

BizzyBum

The most important thing: Pick a weapon with a moveset you like. Don't only choose the most popular weapons. Personally, I'm a DEX guy, but practice your parrying if you use shields. Also, don't over commit with your stamina.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Most of my duels seem kinda laggy so it's hard to time my parry.

I have cross-region matchmaking turned on. Would turning this off improve the latency?

btw, what's the deal with morphing princess mononoke enemies?

Haven't seen one since the 3 at the beginning of the game if you include ibex grundy. I just finished Farron's and am a ways into Cathedral.

It seems like rolls are much more encouraged this time, enemies seem to do way more damage when you block.

I picked the class that starts with the double scimitar thing and the shield they get sort of sucks, but I upgraded to one that blocks 85% of physical damage and still get destroyed by some larger knight enemies, blocking one of their attacks almost hurts worse than taking a hit from smaller enemies.

There's one in particular right after you take the path right from the dragon near the beginning and I just can not beat him, I ended up finally just running around him. Not sure if that's expected or I'm really rusty.

I'm liking it a lot though, besides that one enemy the overall difficulty seems like a return to form to DS1 design. DS2 had so much bullshit that felt like they were making thing ridiculously hard just for the sake of it. 3 feels more smartly designed so far.

I'm only an hour in though, hopefully it keeps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom