• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo this game is something else 👌👌👌
First Souls game (Bloodborne being the exception) and I already feel well adjusted to the controls and overall grand scheme of things. Glad I decided buying this for PC instead of ps4 for the 60 fps.

NZNova

Need some poison resist gear for Farron Keep. I have the Spider Shield already, is there anything else particularly useful nearby?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Just finished the third boss -
Curse-Rotted Greatwood
. Quick question about this area though... Why does the
lift
sometimes take me
to the giant throwing those projectile spears at the top
and sometime it takes me to the
bottom where the frostbite enemy is
. How do I make it go down instead of behaving randomly?

Curse-Rotted Greatwood
lift
sometimes take me

It's not random, there
are two lifts, one on top of the other
. Use one, if it goes up, roll off.
Then use the one that lifts in its place.

burgerdog

Curse-Rotted Greatwood
lift
sometimes take me

It doesn't behave randomly. Don't think too hard :lol

Manu

You can buy it from Patches in Firelink shrine, if he's there if not, you probably need to buy the tower key for the tower behind Firelink shrine

He
locked me in the tower and I died on my way out. Did I screw him going to Firelink later?

GulAtiCa

Lol. Just went into an invasion with a host & 2 summons as well as another invader! That made things easier. We won in the end. One of the summons died I guess, and the other invader did the finishing blow to the host.

Did almost attack the other invader at certain points, luckily I unfocused and looked away.

Timeaisis

Two questions regarding
hollowing
:

-
Does curing it cost me access to a questline? And if so, are the rewards worthwhile for keeping it until later (I want to cure it eventually)
- Do I need to use the
purging stone
before
curing it with the Firekeeper

UberLevi

When is
Greirat
supposed to return to Firelink? I saved
Siegward
from the
well
and encountered him later in
Irithyll
. Currently travelling around the
Irithyll Dungeon
and just beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
most recently.
Greirat
still hasn't come back to the hub, yet.

Styles

Ugh, I don't know how these bosses KNOWS when I am about to attack. Like, they would just circle around RIGHT until I'm about to press the attack button to finally do something.

The *mid-late game boss spoiler*D
ancer
is especially guilty of this. Just fuck right OFF.

Soulflarz

Banned
Two questions regarding
hollowing
:

-
Does curing it cost me access to a questline? And if so, are the rewards worthwhile for keeping it until later (I want to cure it eventually)
- Do I need to use the
purging stone
before

Only via the fire keeper I believe...
and the questline? It gets you an
ending
:V
aka damn important

When is
Greirat
supposed to return to Firelink? I saved
Siegward
from the
well
and encountered him later in
Irithyll
. Currently travelling around the
Irithyll Dungeon
and just beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
most recently.
Greirat
still hasn't come back to the hub, yet.

;_;7 we'll miss him

Ugh, I don't know how these bosses KNOWS when I am about to attack. Like, they would just circle around RIGHT until I'm about to press the attack button to finally do something.

The *mid-late game boss spoiler*D
ancer
is especially guilty of this. Just fuck right OFF.

Don't throw out attacks randomly, he has huge ending lag.

UberLevi

Two questions regarding
hollowing
:

-
- Do I need to use the
purging stone
before

It is relevant to have for one of the endings.

Once cured, you'll keep your hollowing level, so it's recommended you purge yourself first to reduce it to zero before curing.

Get'sMad

Two questions regarding
hollowing
:

-
- Do I need to use the
purging stone
before

if you get rid of it Yuria peaces out and you won't be able to complete a certain questline if you do it too soon. just use the purging stones for now

I've always found the enemies in the Souls series to have an uncanny ability to do this.

Timeaisis

Only via the fire keeper I believe...
and the questline? It gets you an
ending
:V
aka damn important

;_;7 we'll miss him

Don't throw out attacks randomly, he has huge ending lag.

Can I get a
different ending if I wait to cure it?
I don't want to lock myself into an
ending
right now.

Astral

How good are the Uchi and the Estoc this time around? I'm loving them so far but I'm not sure how much I wanna invest in them as of yet. I feel like there's going to be a better thrusting sword than the Estoc.

GulAtiCa

So regarding the hollowing/etc.
If I cure the dark sigil, it will prevent me from getting a certain ending? So basically I should likely never cure myself, is that right?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I just had the most epic night i've ever had in a dark souls game.

I summoned a person named 3dot starting around the
halfway fortress
and we went through the
crucifixion woods
, and i think the
farron keep
together. But while we were going through the
crucifixion woods
i think, we got invaded while just as we started killing one of the
huge crabs
. 3dot took care of the
big crab
while i took on the invader. We then killed the
huge crab

Then got invaded again. This time it was a magic caster with something like the Xanthous crown from DS1. We tagged teamed him with no troubles.

After more exploring in the area we were invaded yet again. This time 3dot was a spectator while he let me fight a dude with a huge sword. We each had to expend about 2-3 estus flask charges but eventually I came out the winner with a halberd.

We reached the
farron keep
where I was trying to
light the 3 fires to get to the wolf something
but when we were fighting
the stray demon
3dot took a mistep and died. We hung out for a least 45 min together killing baddies both human and computer. I wish I could get in contact with 3dot somehow but From Software wants these moments to be spread across multiple random people it seems, instead of making friends and always playing with them. It isn't like I can add him on steam as I don't know his steam name.

This will go down as one of my top 10 gaming memories. We went 5/5 against invaders and got me at least 5 bonfires. I'll miss you 3dot, you were my homie.
tears.gif

Get'sMad

If I cure the dark sigil, it will prevent me from getting a certain ending? So basically I should likely never cure myself, is that right?

This is only one I haven't done yet and I'm not sure....I just know if you cure it Yuria goes away but I don't know if it cancels out the ending if you've already done everything else thats required beforehand

So I was looking through the weapons section of the guide, kind of window-shopping for what I want to work toward. I found a nice spear and a halberd, but haven't decided on sword. Are there any swords in this game that have the same (or a similar enough) moveset to the Drangleic Sword from DS II?

Just so you know
the ending in question is triggered by possibly the most intricate questline in the game and there are multiple ways to miss it out, but yes if you want that one ending don't cure the hollowing, just be aware that you still might not get it, especially if you don't follow through on other NPC questline threads

UberLevi

What's everyone's Estus Flask values at?

Currently exploring I
rithyll
D
ungeon
and I'm sitting at 11 Flask +6. Surely I haven't missed any up to this point, right?

Not sure where to go...
I just finished off the
deacons
and now i cant go this route any further.
Did i miss an area?
I feel like i was supposed to see that farron place wasnt i?

co1onel

He
locked me in the tower and I died on my way out. Did I screw him going to Firelink later?
You were supposed to homeward bone out but I don't think it matters. He should be up by the fog door that leads to the tower.
Don't forgive him to get free stuff

Currently exploring I
rithyll
D
ungeon
and I'm sitting at 11 Flask +6. Surely I haven't missed any up to this point, right?

I am at C
athedral
of the D
eep
and also need to finish F
arron's
K
eep
, and I'm at 9 Flask +3. This is with 0 Ashen flasks.

Oh my god, found my favorite character.
Sieggy of Catarina you da bess.

My first reaction was "Oh great, another fan service character" and then I took the lift down, came back up and he was gone, figured out the lift's trick and passed by him pondering midway up and was like "...how did you get there" then managed to roll onto his platform where he was pondering how to take care of the big dude in the distance, til I hit it with an arrow and he was like "Nooooooooooooo, oh well, time to fight!" and we FUCKED that fire demon UP.

Did I mess anything up? Does he actually come up with a plan or does it always end up that way?

Takashi

Fantastic game so far.

Still pretty early in I think, but I recently beat the (4th?)
Deacons
boss fight. So disappointing.
Wasn't difficult at all, just tedious. In a Souls game you typically wanna play patiently and cautiously. See a big mob of enemies? Common sense tells you to hang back and look for an opening, lure one out, etc. Yet the second phase essentially punished me for doing just that. It wasn't so much the sheer amount of enemies, nor the dark blob thru buildings, nor the curse threat-- no-- it was when I realized that on top of all that BS, this asshole was actually healing himself because I had the audacity to play patiently and not be reckless. I ended up beating it by playing the total opposite way by going in there completely aggressively as if this were Bloodborne or something.
I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment when I beat it, but instead felt relief I got it over with to move on with the game.

I mean there's bound to be a few duds for boss fights, just hope there aren't too many more.

Currently exploring I
rithyll
D
ungeon

I'm at an area before you and I'm at 10 flasks 1 ashen and +7.

Not sure where to go...
I just finished off the
deacons
and now i cant go this route any further.
Did i miss an area?
I feel like i was supposed to see that farron place wasnt i?

From the road of sacrifice, go through the swamp.

Manu

The catacombs beneath
smouldering lake
are pure hell. At least the shield of want is pretty amazing

That's where I am right now and I'm seriously considering coming back later.

Also, apparently there was a boss at the lake I missed.

EDIT: This place is totally
Lost Izalith. With the fire and the vines and the dead Capra and Taurus demons, the fire spitting statues. Holy shit.

KHlover

Banned
I just had the most epic night i've ever had in a dark souls game.

I summoned a person named 3dot starting around the
halfway fortress
and we went through the
crucifixion woods
, and i think the
farron keep
together. But while we were going through the
crucifixion woods
i think, we got invaded while just as we started killing one of the
huge crabs
. 3dot took care of the
big crab
while i took on the invader. We then killed the
huge crab

Then got invaded again. This time it was a magic caster with something like the Xanthous crown from DS1. We tagged teamed him with no troubles.

After more exploring in the area we were invaded yet again. This time 3dot was a spectator while he let me fight a dude with a huge sword. We each had to expend about 2-3 estus flask charges but eventually I came out the winner with a halberd.

We reached the
farron keep
where I was trying to
light the 3 fires to get to the wolf something
but when we were fighting
the stray demon
3dot took a mistep and died. We hung out for a least 45 min together killing baddies both human and computer. I wish I could get in contact with 3dot somehow but From Software wants these moments to be spread across multiple random people it seems, instead of making friends and always playing with them. It isn't like I can add him on steam as I don't know his steam name.

This will go down as one of my top 10 gaming memories. We went 5/5 against invaders and got me at least 5 bonfires. I'll miss you 3dot, you were my homie.
tears.gif

Add friend -> recently played with.
EDIT: In steam hud

That's where I am right now and I'm seriously considering coming back later.

Also, apparently there was a boss at the lake I missed.

Just go left once you enter the lake area, there's a fog gate from the start so look for that. You can eventually end up there if you soldier on through the catacombs as well though.

Sarcasm

What is up with the camera control!

Also I didn't notice upping endurance didn't do anything for equip load. If my memory is correct I only equipped one new thing which is a kite shield that is 100% with no parry but power stance.

Which is me at 31.6 and the right says 51.6. Rolls are slowish..

Want more stamina but faster rolls...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sixth boss
Deacons of the Deep
down. Not to bad, though I found that area worse than the poisoness swamp.

Feeling so overwhelmed with this undead settlement place. Not liking it as much as high walls of lothric.

I'm the opposite, I found that area to be really fun. So many different paths and many cool items to pick up, including a couple of Covenants. Once you get all the bonfires it's much more manageable.

Also I didn't notice upping endurance didn't do anything for equip load. If my memory is correct I only equipped one new thing which is a kite shield that is 100% with no parry but power stance.

Gotta level up Vitality in this game to increase equip load.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Vitality helps carry weight. Endurance helps stamina for attacking, rolling etc.

Get'sMad

encountering a lot less gank squads late in the game doing invasions now but I guess thats only because theres a much lower % of people who are this far in the game right now outside of the hardcore dorks ie people like me who imported and/or had early copies and know what theyre doing etc...

Grisby

Oh man, the music that plays during the
Abyss
fight is so gooooood.
Oh my god, found my favorite character.
Sieggy of Catarina you da bess.

My first reaction was "Oh great, another fan service character" and then I took the lift down, came back up and he was gone, figured out the lift's trick and passed by him pondering midway up and was like "...how did you get there" then managed to roll onto his platform where he was pondering how to take care of the big dude in the distance, til I hit it with an arrow and he was like "Nooooooooooooo, oh well, time to fight!" and we FUCKED that fire demon UP.

Did I mess anything up? Does he actually come up with a plan or does it always end up that way?
Easily one of my favorite moments in a Souls game. I feel like the npc interaction is so rare (in my case anyways) that the moment you're talking about was extremely badass.
Feeling so overwhelmed with this undead settlement place. Not liking it as much as high walls of lothric.
Ha, wait till you get to an area or two after that. Shit gets big.

Heysoos

After defeating the
Giant Tree
boss in Undead Settlement and going into
Road of Sacrifices
, should I be going to
Cathedral
or
Farron Keep
?

Status
Not open for further replies.