• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about your weapon, but you should probably get higher than +2 - you're going to start getting large shards quite soon.

Also, now level 31 and 14 hours into the game. Only 3 main bosses down. This is a lot of fun.

This makes me feel slightly better after seeing pages of people who are like 25 hours in and almost done with the game. I'm level 47 and 28 hours in, but I feel super behind compared to a lot of you guys.

It's pretty solid. There's a super cool slide move that it does, but the dex requirements are kind of insane. It also requires titanite scales to reinforce, which are stupidly hard to find IMO.

Jamiaro

This makes me feel slightly better after seeing pages of people who are like 25 hours in and almost done with the game. I'm level 47 and 28 hours in, but I feel super behind compared to a lot of you guys.

You enjoy the game amd take it in slowly. The best way. The only way. The true way. The Souls way.

Is the road to farron located through the sacrificial path?

When you reach the bottom of the hill past all the
lance guys
after the second bonfire, walk straight ahead to the other side of the water, dodging
Dat giant enemy crab!
of course. There's a building with
two unique NPC enemies
loitering about outside. In that building there's a ladder going down.

Welp, I got stuck.

243ABF2DD90A838257DCACD6C8BCC62BB73E9598

gg Miyazaki, gg.

GulAtiCa

Yeah I feel the same. I'm taking my sweet ass time just exploring everywhere in great detail. If it's anything like the other ones, I'll be at least 60 hours total when I beat the game. Maybe 80. Who knows how long it'll take to platinum it.

Are there any sidequest NPC phantom summons like DS2's Mirrah or Benhart? As in to continue their story you have to summon them for a boss battle?

You guys are finishing this game already? 30 hours?

Is this shorter than the other titles? I recall spending double that time in Dark Souls 1 to get to the ending

antitrop

You guys are finishing this game already? 30 hours?

Is this shorter than the other titles? I recall spending double that time in Dark Souls 1 to get to the ending

Took me 60 for Dark Souls 1, 30 for Bloodborne, and it looks like I'm on track to finish this in 30.

I had a really hard time figuring out where to go in DS1, I spent probably 20 hours of that wandering around completely lost, where I haven't had that issue in subsequent games.

Interesting that the games have gotten shorter.

I've just gotten used to the formula, is all. If DS1 wasn't my introduction to the series, probably would have taken me 30-40. I played it when I wasn't familiar with the games and took it really slow. I think they may have gotten a tiny bit shorter, but not by much.

Yeah I feel the same. I'm taking my sweet ass time just exploring everywhere in great detail. If it's anything like the other ones, I'll be at least 60 hours total when I beat the game. Maybe 80. Who knows how long it'll take to platinum it.

i usually don't leave an area until i've explored every corner. need. loot.

Jiraiza

Wow, I was stuck on Road of Sacrifices with a pixel of HP with no flasks or anything while an invader was AFK somewhere on the map.

What a jerk, :^(.

Deacons of the Deep
is BY FAR the easiest boss fight of any Souls game, I think. It was easier than Iudex Gundyr.
It's a really cool idea, but you can clearly see that they nerfed them a lot. Probably would have been near impossible for melee builds if they were tougher.

Steel

Banned
3v3 PVP is some of the funniest stuff I've seen in Dark Souls. I think it was available for Scholar of the First Sin too, but I never bought it and I disliked the pvp in DS2 after a while. In DSIII I've actually stopped progressing my first run and just kept doing invasions with my +3 fire uchi pyro.

Here's a couple 3v3 pvp pics. Taken before Farron's Keep.
First 3v3 was against this guy and his two sunbros. All invaders survived and I killed one of the sunbros with a jump attack from the ledge next to the stairs.

Tyrone Johnson here started as a disguised box next to the middle bonfire with sunbro Motha****a Jones, and after an exchange of parries and ripostes I had to retreat to the water section with a sliver of health, where the 2v1 turned first into me+crab vs them, and after a while a second red and a Farron guy appears and suddenly Tyrone and Jones decide to book it, straight to the 2 NPC fighters, so now it's a 5v2 (the crab gave up).

Tyrone decides the best course of action is a hasty retreat down the ladder, and everyone follows him. Gay...orio next to me decided ladders are too slow...

Tyrone is smart about it and waits for me at the base of the ladder, but I decide to jump attack him and we trade damage.

Gay...orio's dismissal of the ladder proved fatal. Meanwhile everyone else is now battling it out at the bottom of the ladder, and Tyrone isn't looking so hot anymore.

And so ends Tyrone's journey from a box to a dead guy at the hands of one of the NPC's. Motha****a Jones survives to tell the tale.

Oh yeah, when I got to that area I couldn't stop pvping there.

Hell, who am I kidding, I'm still there pvping. The massive battles are so damn good.

Styles

Yikes. 20 Embers later and the D
ancer
boss is still destroying me. Its second phase is so lethal.

I honestly think it is harder than Ludwig and OoK. Think I'll just give in and summon bros for help.

I don't how people kill this thing on their first try.

Verder

the entrance after you kill
High Lord Wolnir
to boreal/
anor londor
is fucking gorgeous. i dropped my mouth.

everything maxed on pc

Roussow

The Da
ncer
has crazy fucking combo strings, up to 8 consecutive swings -- I thought P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
had long combos, this is fucking nuts. Funnily enough it's the only super lethal attack the Da
ncer
has though, that and the one-hit-kill grab, it's such a strange fight, it remains passive for extended periods for a lot of the time -- the boss is psyching me out with it's passivity.

GulAtiCa

Took me 100 hours to beat Dark Souls 2. Granted I was new to Souls and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. 50 more hours to platinum it, before DLC.

Bloodborne was at least 50 hours. 2nd half was easy and Blood currency meant nothing and given away as Candy.. Prob 70 total to platinum it. I'll have to double check my times.

DK2: SotFS took me 80 hours to platinum it and get all. Knew everything but 2 of it's last DLCs.

At current rate, I can see this taking me a month with at least 60 hours, maybe 80 to beat it.

Styles

The Da
ncer
has crazy fucking combo strings, up to 8 consecutive swings -- I thought P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
had long combos, this is fucking nuts. Funnily enough it's the only super lethal attack the Da
ncer
has though, that and the one-hit-kill grab, it's such a strange fight, it remains passive for extended periods for a lot of the time -- the boss is psyching me out with it's passivity.

Tell me about. I'm so used to rolling everywhere and this boss just throws that mindset out of the window. The thing is extremely unpredictable, for me at least.

iddqd

Black Knight Greatsword might be my new thing.

Was dissapointed with the Claymore. Even the Straight Sword was better.

But then came the Black Knight Greatsword. Wam Bam, everything dies.

Did some low level PvP vs Mount guys for 2 hours or so.

The whip class of weaponry in this game has potential, but not as a primary attack weapon, and not on its own.

Unfortunately, because this game is built on the base of DS1, you're character isn't ambidextrous. He/she holds the damn thing up like a shield when you press L1, and uses the R1 moveset when you press L2.

Meaning the whip has to go in the right, while your primary actually goes on your left. Fortunately, you can 2H your LH & RH weapon and get some functionality back, including each weapon art (depending on which one your 2Hing). It's DS2's problem with weapons like the Caestus becoming pary tools in the LH, but way worse.

Anywho - SL13, +2 Fire Whip RH, +2 Fire Axe LH

The Impact weapon art has the weirdest goddamn hitbox I've ever seen, to its benefit. It's all around you on startup and looks 5ft off the end of the whip in every direction at the end. I was able to easily hit, chip damage (fire gem), and keep my opponent on their toes with it. OK damage.

The Primary attack is absolutely bad, but good for combo chasing opponent/mixups after cutting into them with your LH weapon. OK damage.

The Heavy attack is a huge horizontal swing with excellent damage that you can chain. Good Shit, wish I didn't have to put the weapon in my RH slot to use it.

In summary:

DS1 - absolute garbage

DS2 - GODLIKE

DS3 - Jank as hell, but potential is there

ugoo18

Damm Bloodborne and my memories of Dark Souls 1 really took the edge of this game for me. Just beat my 7th boss so far and i've gotta say DS3 has been a pretty big let down boss wise so far.

Iudex
Vordt
Greatwood
Crystal Sage
Abyss Watchers
High Lord Wolnir
Stray Demon

Of the 7 i've faced, 3 (4 if i'm being brutally honest) have been mega enemy with gank squad crew. Perhaps my memory of DS1 is fuzzy but i certainly don't remember as many gank squad bosses overall (Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i remember a total of 6 or so bosses that were 2+v1 and even then i'd probably say
Nito, the Capra Demon and Pinwheel
would be the only real gank squad bosses) and considering these are just the first 7 i sure hope there aren't more like that overall. It's not quite DS2 levels but it might get there, it's even more noticeable coming straight from Bloodborne. Barring
Micolash and Laurence the First Vicar
which i intensely disliked the rest were all pretty cool, even the ones that had minions running around attacking you.

The
Abyss Watchers
has been the standout so far in terms of boss battles in this game for me.
Ludex and Vort
were pretty good also, the rest have ranged from average to borderline trash.

Plus there are some things that are just annoying for the sake of it, The
old wolf bonfire in Farron for example. Why is the ladder down right into a cluster of whatever those slug things are and mobs mobs almost everywhere.
Being a sorcerer can be.... punishing to say the least in this lol.

RedSwirl

Having an issue where my camera is constantly pointing down towards the floor.

Using an Xbox One pad on Windows 10, but I have no idea if this problem is with the game or the system or what.

Roussow

Tell me about. I'm so used to rolling everywhere and this boss just throws that mindset out of the window. The thing is extremely unpredictable, for me at least.

I'm running two handed Ultra Greatswords, so yeah, rolling is crucial, the I-frame increasing ring helps. I managed to roll through one full string once, all 6 or so swings, although that run didn't go much further.

I wonder if a shield would even help in this fight, I doubt I can block 6 swings without my defense being broken.

Can anyone spoil if there is a ring or some piece of armor that allows you to wade through deep water at normal pace? I know I left stuff in the swampy areas but I don't want to go back through it unless I know there's something to make that area easier.

I haven't found one -- but using the quickstep weapon skill on daggers lets you dash through swamps and deep water I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom