• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone spoil if there is a ring or some piece of armor that allows you to wade through deep water at normal pace? I know I left stuff in the swampy areas but I don't want to go back through it unless I know there's something to make that area easier.

Skatterd

Can anyone spoil if there is a ring or some piece of armor that allows you to wade through deep water at normal pace? I know I left stuff in the swampy areas but I don't want to go back through it unless I know there's something to make that area easier.

Use the dagger weapon art

Hoooooooly crap the C
urse-rotted
G
reatwood
fight was so fucking fun. I loved every second of it.

I'm totally gonna hang around and get summoned into people's fights with it cause that was awesome.

He can be parried. Try blocking the first attack and parrying the second.

Thanks for the tip. Still, what a bad boss. It would be great if he didnt attack for fucking ever. I could see this is Bloodborne where your character has more I-frames and dodges take barely any stamina but in Souls it just feels unfair. And im rarely one to complain about boss fairness in these games.

EDIT: Take it back. Phase two redeemed the fight. lol

Hoooooooly crap the Curse-rotted G
reatwood
fight was so fucking fun. I loved every second of it.

I'm totally gonna hang around and get summoned into people's fights with it cause that was awesome.

I found it really easy. Despite dying like 5-6 times.

Although I loved that
you had to hit him in the nads to do damage.

I found it really easy. Despite dying like 5-6 times.

Although I loved that
you had to hit him in the nads to do damage.

He is quite easy but...I dunno it was just super fun to me.

And yeah his weakness the best.

I'm totes making his Soul Weapon, but which one? The
spear
fits my want if luck boosting for poison/bleed build but the
greatsword
is Dex based and fits my
Lucatiel of Mirrah
cosplay

co1onel

I'm running two handed Ultra Greatswords, so yeah, rolling is crucial, the I-frame increasing ring helps. I managed to roll through one full string once, all 6 or so swings, although that run didn't go much further.

I wonder if a shield would even help in this fight, I doubt I can block 6 swings without my defense being broken.
I didn't even bother rolling through the entire combo. Just roll backwards and avoid it altogether. Wait for the shorter attacks with big openings afterwards.
Thanks for the tip. Still, what a bad boss. It would be great if he didnt attack for fucking ever. I could see this is Bloodborne where your character has more I-frames and dodges take barely any stamina but in Souls it just feels unfair. And im rarely one to complain about boss fairness in these games.
Agreed. Some of his attacks come out so fast you basically have to keep your shield up the whole time. I mostly fumbled my way through the first phase. Second phase seems even crazier at first, but once you figure out how it works its pretty easy.
He prefers just pelting me with lava from afar.
At least he killed that mimic though.
I might've just gotten lucky then. Haven't seen anyone mention it happening to them.

Man, my last play session was a frustrating one.

I'm in U
ndead
S
ettlement
. I try to beat the C
ursed
G
reatwood
and get my ass handed to me again. I know his weakness is his
pustules
, but I can't get more than a single hit in on any of the ones in his limbs before he and/or his
endlessly respawning enemies
completely do me in. Frustrated I look him up on the Wiki and notice that I'm actually
not supposed to kill him yet, since killing it before getting into the Mound covenant makes it a harder process to get into said covenant, so I try to get into said covenant.
It says I need to
climb into the cage in the back of a specific hacksaw fatty
, I try to do that except the damn
Examine prompt
never shows up. I'm like literally touching the
cage
and it never comes up. Whatever. Apparently the covenant is kinda pointless anyway. So I go another route that leads me to the tower with the archer giant. Neat. I find the
onion guy of the elevator that only goes down
, so I go down and fight
a mini-frost boss like the one from the High Wall.
I get beaten because the damn thing will just not stop swinging. I try to get back in and try again except
the elevator is going up now??
I go
up and befriend the giant, and notice I'm supposed to jump off the elevator halfway through, so I do.
. The
onion guy
is there and points out the
fire beast, saying he doesn't know how to deal with it
. I think "well obviously the answer was to
befriend the giant, since the giant has a clear line of sight and he'll rain arrows on the beast.

Nope.
Onion guy shouts "you should've waited!" FOR WHAT?? There was no indication of what I should've done here! In fact, it even heavily implies the giant will help you! But nope, onion guy idiotically springs to action despite me not asking him to, and I get my ass kicked.

I can assume I have ruined the sidequest of
onion guy
since I'm assuming
he's dead
, but whatever. The cryptic sidequest bullshit is by far my least favorite part of all the souls games so I've never really cared if I fail them all, but it's still an annoying reminder of how bullshit they are.

I can assume that
the giant will stop shooting at me on the far side where he makes those arrows rain, or will the game "LOL NOPEZ!" that too?

Naite

I think I spent about 45 min clearing that area near the water reserve bonfire. Not sure why I was having so much trouble when I had little problem the first time I fought those guys.

Floody

Just beat the A
byss
W
atchers
, absolutely fantastic boss fight, great music, pretty different
they'll fight eachother, not just you
and ends
going full anime.
Was kinda overleveled though, which made it pretty easy.

Also there's so many summon signs, that I doubt I'll be able to try it again anytime soon. is it better to put my sign outside the room or by the Bonfire?

I had the
dancer
boss down to 10% health, i was in prefect shape, 5 flasks, then got booted to the menu because i lost connection to the server. Am i playing a fucking MMO. And of course now i can barely get it below 50%.

iddqd

Just beat the A
byss
W
atchers
, absolutely fantastic boss fight, great music, pretty different
they'll fight eachother, not just you
and ends
going full anime.
Was kinda overleveled though, which made it pretty easy.

Also there's so many summon signs, that I doubt I'll be able to try it again anytime soon. is it better to put my sign outside the room or by the Bonfire?

Yeah, I'm closing shop for the night but it took ages sometimes to get summoned.
Must be too busy there. I had more luck with
Crystal Sage and the Monks

I had the
dancer
boss down to 10% health, i was in prefect shape, 5 flasks, then got booted to the menu because i lost connection to the server. Am i playing a fucking MMO. And of course now i can barely get it below 50%.

You get booted to the menu when losing your connection?!

In DS2 you just got a "lost connection, go back to main menu and reload the game to reconnect" message but it let you keep going with no hiccups. Why would they change it for DS3? Fuuuuuuck that.

Get'sMad

nah you'll be good...I've spent this play-through helping people with bosses and I'm getting insta summoned pretty much the second I put my sign down. also it depends on the boss/that bonfires location to it.

Zomba13

Just wondering, (PC player here) I've just had my second summon where the person wasn't animating, just gliding around, and didn't take damage and constantly did damage to the boss when near. Were they hacking or just good or was it lag/conenction issues? Because both times I've got someone like that the boss just melted (not so much in a hacky, insta kill way, but just the fight was then super easy with them "tanking").

Roussow

I'm in U
ndead
S
ettlement
. I try to beat the C
ursed
G
reatwood
and get my ass handed to me again. I know his weakness is his
pustules
, but I can't get more than a single hit in on any of the ones in his limbs before he and/or his
endlessly respawning enemies
completely do me in. Frustrated I look him up on the Wiki and notice that I'm actually
not supposed to kill him yet, since killing it before getting into the Mound covenant makes it a harder process to get into said covenant, so I try to get into said covenant.
It says I need to
climb into the cage in the back of a specific hacksaw fatty
, I try to do that except the damn
Examine prompt
never shows up. I'm like literally touching the
cage
and it never comes up. Whatever. Apparently the covenant is kinda pointless anyway. So I go another route that leads me to the tower with the archer giant. Neat. I find the
onion guy of the elevator that only goes down
, so I go down and fight
a mini-frost boss like the one from the High Wall.
I get beaten because the damn thing will just not stop swinging. I try to get back in and try again except
the elevator is going up now??
I go
up and befriend the giant, and notice I'm supposed to jump off the elevator halfway through, so I do.
. The
onion guy
is there and points out the
fire beast, saying he doesn't know how to deal with it
. I think "well obviously the answer was to
befriend the giant, since the giant has a clear line of sight and he'll rain arrows on the beast.

Nope.
Onion guy shouts "you should've waited!" FOR WHAT?? There was no indication of what I should've done here! In fact, it even heavily implies the giant will help you! But nope, onion guy idiotically springs to action despite me not asking him to, and I get my ass kicked.

I can assume I have ruined the sidequest of
onion guy
since I'm assuming
he's dead
, but whatever. The cryptic sidequest bullshit is by far my least favorite part of all the souls games so I've never really cared if I fail them all, but it's still an annoying reminder of how bullshit they are.

I can assume that
the giant will stop shooting at me on the far side where he makes those arrows rain, or will the game "LOL NOPEZ!" that too?

The jumping into action to kill the Fire Demon is an call back to Dark Souls 1, except with the roles reversed, you perform the inverse action of that game (where there he'd jump in, likely sacrificing himself without help), here you jump in first, and he helps you. If you keep exploring, you'll find a solution to the Giant's arrow rain problem. Oh and the Onion lad isn't likely dead unless you saw him die in the fight, the scene resets if you go back there, I did it two or three times, each time the knight reset perched on the ledge above the Fire Demon.

Timeaisis

Is matchmaking really slow for anyone else? Seems like it's tough to place me anywhere: coop, invasion, covenant thing, etc. Anyone got any ideas? I'm
99 hollowed
, I heard that could affect it.

Just beat (7th)
High Lord Wolnir. Damn, his introduction is so awesome *^*. I kind of like the gimmicky bosses actually. It's a nice change of pace. His army of undead was pretty annoying, but hitting the last two bracelets and keeping them around the same amount of "health" proved to be the answer to not let him get too crazy.

The jumping into action to kill the Fire Demon is an call back to Dark Souls 1, except with the roles reversed, you perform the inverse action of that game (where there he'd jump in, likely sacrificing himself without help), here you jump in first, and he helps you. If you keep exploring, you'll find a solution to the Giant's arrow rain problem. Oh and the Onion lad isn't likely dead unless you saw him die in the fight, the scene resets if you go back there, I did it two or three times, each time the knight reset perched on the ledge above the Fire Demon.

He was still alive by the time I died so I guess that's not a problem.
I'll keep trying tomorrow, I'm too frustrated to go back in today :p

If you engage in the C
ursed
G
reatwood
fight but don't win, can you still
join the Mound covenant via the "easy mode"?
Because the wiki said to not
start
the fight but then says you're locked out of that route
if you beat the boss, but beating the boss and battling it are two different things.
I don't know if I should keep trying
getting into that cage.

Onion guy should be fine, he will still be on the ledge if you go back. The giant doesn't actually help you with the fire demon, it's either a solo endeavor or you kill him together with Siegward.

And yes, the giant will stop shooting at you when you've talked to him, but he will still shoot at the enemies walking there, so don't go rushing in too fast.

Noobcraft

Yeah, it's a lot better in theory
Purple phantoms should get credit for killing invaders. It's dumb that they made it a harmful role rather than a wildcard. I've actually gotten something like 20 vertebrae without directly attacking or killing the host though lol. I killed a couple phantoms, but most of the time they manage to die on their own.

MUnited83

For you.
It's the M
ound
M
akers
covenant. You can join it in the U
ndead
village. The thing is, now that people know what the goal is for purple phantoms they tend to try to kill you right away.

seems that i screwed myself out of it
until i have 3 lords of cinder souls?

Been keeping my level low so I can get summoned as a blue phantom. Is working for now, get 18 items.

Is matchmaking really slow for anyone else? Seems like it's tough to place me anywhere: coop, invasion, covenant thing, etc. Anyone got any ideas? I'm
99 hollowed
, I heard that could affect it.

Not sure if it a placebo effect,but getting summoned was indeed harder with that condition, remove it or try with a lower level weapon.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Weird clicking the left stick doesn't trigger Run?
Why can't I map that either? Seems like a strange change? I hate having to hold down O only

drotahorror

Does anyone know what weapon the phantom is using?

QosgkGB.jpg

One move that weapon did was a sweep like attack. He sort of lunged forward and then swung the sword at my legs in a nearly 360 degree arc.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So while doing early NG+ exploration i discovered that you can
beat the lords in pretty much any way you want. I killed the old lady in High Wall, fought Dancer and got access to Lothric Castle.

Floody

Yeah, I'm closing shop for the night but it took ages sometimes to get summoned.
Must be too busy there. I had more luck with
Crystal Sage and the Monks

Yeah, seems it's too packed was getting summoned in under a minute at D
eacons
of the D
eep
, been summoned twice here in about 20 minutes. Well guess I'll just wait until NG+ to face them again.

Holy hell... finished the game today with about 40 hours in it... damn.
Lot of lore-related stuff to think about. This game is about as good of a sequel to Dark Souls as I could have hoped for, even better in someways.

A certain boss seem is basically straight out of my own head cannon for Dark Souls 1's world, which makes me so very happy. I actually can't believe it exists.

I have never gotten so emotional about any game, or any piece of media, really.
This game is very well designed, and I hope that somehow the DLC will somehow be even better than than the main game. I have absolutely no clue what they could end up being about.

Also, I can't believe just how difficult some of the later bosses, optional and required, were, despite how easy I found about the first 1/3 or so of the bosses. All of the areas were pretty difficult themselves, however.

Soulflarz

Banned
They borked dual-wielding again when they finally had a good thing going in Dark Souls 2 ):

No more Large and Great great and large club club

This is beautiful and you are a good person for sharing it.

Purple phantoms should get credit for killing invaders. It's dumb that they made it a harmful role rather than a wildcard. I've actually gotten something like 20 vertebrae without directly attacking or killing the host though lol. I killed a couple phantoms, but most of the time they manage to die on their own.

Agreed, it makes no sense.

So while doing early NG+ exploration i discovered that you can
beat the lords in pretty much any way you want. I killed the old lady in High Wall, fought Dancer and got access to Lothric Castle.

Yes, but it's considerably harder to kill the dancer at the start :p

ElFly

Man, just beat my first lord of cinder. It was waaay too easy.

But goddamn, the area after that boss, it is super long. made it way deep into it, and haven't found a bonfire yet, goddamn

cheezcake

Just finished, whew. 30 hours, SL90, blind run, all bosses solo'd (except the two I missed apparently).

This is a good game. Way better than Dark 2, not sure if it's better than Dark 1. I would say Dark 1 is stronger til you finish O&S. Dark 3 more consistent, with a much stronger tail end. That said when people start figuring out the lore it might change this up, it becomes a lot of fun going through these games again knowing more about the environment around you.

As compared to Bloodborne, its a close one. All multiplayer stuff is hands down way better in Dark 3, but Bloodborne PvE was more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom