• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
Anyone have any good weapon suggestions? I like using the Claymore, but I want something a bit more... Different. Since I played Dark Souls 2 with the Claymore for a whiles. I'm thinking maybe that spike mace the fat ladies use in Undead Settlement?

KingBroly

Banned
Some. Maybe 1 or two. They're not unpredictable it's just when the AI winds up, they still have the ability to pick a target so you just have to roll at the last moment.

Hmm...I see. I'll keep that in mind whenever I pick up DS3. I'm playing through DS2 now. So I'm coming here to ask if some of the issues I'm seeing were alleviated with DS3 or not.

So, I figure I'll ask it now, and repost in the day, when you know, a lot of people who will miss this post are here

What do you guys think of a soulsborne that is much more simplified? Not bloodborne style where you get your weapons and they're all presets for each category and the armor doesn't matter, but I mean where everything has a static values.
To reword that, what do you guys think of a souls game where you cannot level up, you cannot increase stat X or Y, etc. Your HP is constant, as are many other things.

I could see it being a lot more fun than the current formula. It would also fix the inherent issue of going back to old areas and simply having too much HP/Str to care about trying vs crushing enemies via tanking and mashing attack until they drop in two hits.

If you found a boss hard, everyone had a similar experience, or a similar opportunity.
You'd overcome the boss my learning his patterns and getting better at reading and reacting, instead of your build simply being overall better throughout the whole game.

I think it has the potential to be a lot more interesting.
Souls would be dropped from levels to say, give you your armor and weapon choices, but it wouldn't be anything like it is now, where death is a loss of actual progress in the game because of a loss of levels.

I feel like Bloodborne half assed making things static, giving us a situation where some stats are semi-meaningless (bloodtinge largely) and certain weapons aren't balanced well, which leads into my only major issue I could see. They did balance defense well, as the only notable change you're making to that is your HP value- the bars draining relatively the same for everyone in the game.
Anyways, back to that major issue- they'd have to design these bosses and the balancing miles above what they do now so that we can't just pull another Ludwig Sword instance and stunlock everyone for days. On the other hand, with these set encounters, we all find it "as difficult" and such and can enjoy beating it that much more.

I want a souls game that fully requires skill, not some level and build.

sounds like a simplified character action game

Soulflarz

Banned
sounds like a simplified character action game

I mean, it's the same thing as DS without level ups on character and equipment. :x
(which isn't bad. Not even saying take weight out, it'd just create interesting builds where you can't suddenly use this build and lightroll because you grinded vit for 3hr)

myco666

Gotta say the fight with N
ameless
K
ing
is horribly designed. The camera goes insane and the
fire attack
is borderline unavoidable and insta-kills. Wow.

I agree.
That first phase is way harder than it should be just because the camera goes nuts. Times where I managed to have clear view of the boss I got it down without getting hit because the attacks are easy to dodge. But most of the time you can't see what attack is coming.

So, I figure I'll ask it now, and repost in the day, when you know, a lot of people who will miss this post are here

What do you guys think of a soulsborne that is much more simplified? Not bloodborne style where you get your weapons and they're all presets for each category and the armor doesn't matter, but I mean where everything has a static values.
To reword that, what do you guys think of a souls game where you cannot level up, you cannot increase stat X or Y, etc. Your HP is constant, as are many other things.

I could see it being a lot more fun than the current formula. It would also fix the inherent issue of going back to old areas and simply having too much HP/Str to care about trying vs crushing enemies via tanking and mashing attack until they drop in two hits.

If you found a boss hard, everyone had a similar experience, or a similar opportunity.
You'd overcome the boss my learning his patterns and getting better at reading and reacting, instead of your build simply being overall better throughout the whole game.

Souls would be dropped from levels to say, give you your armor and weapon choices, but it wouldn't be anything like it is now, where death is a loss of actual progress in the game because of a loss of levels.

I feel like Bloodborne half assed making things static, giving us a situation where some stats are semi-meaningless (bloodtinge largely) and certain weapons aren't balanced well, which leads into my only major issue I could see. They did balance defense well, as the only notable change you're making to that is your HP value- the bars draining relatively the same for everyone in the game.
Anyways, back to that major issue- they'd have to design these bosses and the balancing miles above what they do now so that we can't just pull another Ludwig Sword instance and stunlock everyone for days. On the other hand, with these set encounters, we all find it "as difficult" and such and can enjoy beating it that much more.

So you want action game and not a RPG?

This poison swamp is the worst thing I've ever played through in a Souls game

It's fucking miserable

The swamp area has a big payoff IMO. I really like the full scope of that area, and the atmosphere around that boss fight is amazing.
Dark Wraiths are attacking Farron Keep outside while you are fighting the Abyss Watchers inside. If you sprint to the fight, you can literally see and hear the mobs fighting each other outside while the watchers spar with you and each other. Very interesting take on the undying undead characters as well. They can't die, so they kill each other endlessly to train. I love how Farron Keep links back into the road of sacrifice and although the swamp desperately needs a rusted iron ring, I really felt like I had overcome something when I came out the other side.

Eww, sounds like DMC action game or like Fallout without loot. Exploration, leveling and finding cool ways to break previously insanely difficult situations is one of the main appeals for me in these games.

Soulflarz

Banned
So you want action game and not a RPG?

Yep, I'd love FROM to make an action game souls game. And by that, I mean "action game" but souls combat (action games normally don't move at the pace of souls or with...whatever the hell we describe the controls as)

I've been saying it since bloodborne that with the speed increases and such, they're inching towards that at a pretty good pace.

Eww, sounds like DMC action game or like Fallout without loot. Exploration, leveling and finding cool ways to break previously insanely difficult situations is one of the main appeals for me in these games.

You...can explore in games without level ups

I think we're overestimating how much this breaks the souls appeal, but to each their own.

I might do a level 1 run if I have the time.

Menome

PS4: Is anybody willing to trade me the armour that Y
uria
drops when killed? I may be able to swap some items from the early-game/Crow-swap if you've missed them and I've not sold them. I'm as far as having defeated the A
byss
W
atchers
boss.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm off to bed, class in 5.5hr, alarm in 4

PS4: Is anybody willing to trade me the armour that Y
uria
drops when killed? I may be able to swap some items from the early-game/Crow-swap if you've missed them and I've not sold them. I'm as far as having defeated the A
byss
W
atchers
boss.

Ask someone to back it up to cloud/usb, then give it to you
item duping 101 :p

The swamp area has a big payoff IMO. I really like the full scope of that area, and the atmosphere around that boss fight is amazing.
Dark Wraiths are attacking Farron Keep outside while you are fighting the Abyss Watchers inside. If you sprint to the fight, you can literally see and hear the mobs fighting each other outside while the watchers spar with you and each other. Very interesting take on the undying undead characters as well. They can't die, so they kill each other endlessly to train. I love how Farron Keep links back into the road of sacrifice and although the swamp desperately needs a rusted iron ring, I really felt like I had overcome something when I came out the other side.

Lord I hope I have a similar feeling when I'm done with it because as of now I'm just like I want to get past this and not think about it at all.

Jamiaro

About the Watchers:
For me it looked like one of the resurrected knight had red eyes, which would hint at some sort of possession or corruption of the Dark... only saw one with red eyes, and the third knight attacked the red-eyed one instantly. At least thats what it looked like for me?

JJD

It's fucking miserable

Just do the knife dashes. They are not slowed down on the swamp. Makes it really easy. You can run past most enemies, just look out for you mana and stamina bar.

You can probably do a full circle on the swamp before your health gets to half.

Veggy

Still gets me

Dark+souls+2+in+a+nutshell_1606bf_5196708.gif

aravuus

It would also fix the inherent issue of going back to old areas and simply having too much HP/Str to care about trying vs crushing enemies via tanking and mashing attack until they drop in two hits.

While this is inherent to RPGs, it's not an issue. The point is that your character also gets stronger.

But yeah, sounds like you just want a slower-paced, more deliberate action game.

I think we're overestimating how much this breaks the souls appeal, but to each their own.

And I think you're underestimating it. Feels like Souls games appeal to a completely different bunch than pure action games do.

e: obviously there is overlap too, in case someone takes this as me saying DMC fans won't like Souls

MUnited83

For you.
It's interesting you say that because I died like 6-7 times to them. They were tough for me.

what weapon do you use? They have ridiculously low poise and can be interrupted way to easily.

Lord I hope I have a similar feeling when I'm done with it because as of now I'm just like I want to get past this and not think about it at all.
If you're like me you will hate it even more, because the damn bosses were easier than most of the mob enemies before it. Really crappy payoff imo

Ogawa-san

Gotta say the fight with N
ameless
K
ing
is horribly designed. The camera goes insane and the
fire attack
is borderline unavoidable and insta-kills. Wow.
Yep, brawling with the camera is half of the challenge. I thought
Old Demon King
was bad about that, but this one takes the cake. Try
keeping the lock on the king instead of the dragon's head, so you can see his attacks coming. Only switch to the head when you're going to attack.

About the unavoidable part:
when it winds up to breathe run towards its back, then towards the head as it's breathing. You'll even be able to get a few attacks in.

it barely does damage. heal as necessary instead of trying to stay unpoisoned
Poison is manageable, curse is awful but fairly avoidable, but the forced walking almost everywhere is overkill.

Burt

Late game optional area that is at the top of a mountain spoiler

Dragonslayer Spear is back, baby. And not in the sense that it's present, but in that it kicks so much ass. I was really doubting my dex build, because as much as I loved my uchi and shaggy dog curved greatsword almost all the good weapons in the game seemed to have been quality or str, but damn does this make up for it. Super powerful, no faith scaling, dex scales up to B at rank 5.

And yeah, the crafting curve is absolutely borked in this game, with higher tier mats being way too rare and expensive. (Crafting spoiler)
More slabs is nice, but the fact that they get shared with the twinkling line pretty much negates that.

Furo

How can I summon another one for the High Lord Wolnir boss?
After I touch the goblet I am always alone?

There a re lots of summoning signs before the door so there should be an option shouldn`t it?

what weapon do you use? They have ridiculously low poise and can be interrupted way to easily.

If you're like me you will hate it even more, because the damn bosses were easier than most of the mob enemies before it. Really crappy payoff imo

I was using the irithyll sword. It was good for stuns only at the end of a combo. I'm about Sl 35 as well if that makes a difference. I spent a couple deaths trying to get parries down. It's a bit too hectic to parry well.

Question: Does anyone know if NG+ is something you chose to go into ala DS2, or is it automatic - like Bloodborne/DS1. If it's the latter, can someone tell me how many boss fights I have left?

I am *Late Game*
past the Dragonslayer Armor, beat the three NPC's and have gotten to the top of the giant path to what I can only assume is the throne of Lothric.

If I can get a boss count/stopping point so I can remain and grind/explore NG, I'd appreciate it.

Veggy

Question: Does anyone know if NG+ is something you chose to go into ala DS2, or is it automatic - like Bloodborne/DS1. If it's the latter, can someone tell me how many boss fights I have left?

I am *Late Game*
past the Dragonslayer Armor, beat the three NPC's and have gotten to the top of the giant path to what I can only assume is the throne of Lothric.

If I can get a boss count/stopping point so I can remain and grind/explore NG, I'd appreciate it.

You can choose

Soulflarz

Banned

Shoutout to rolling into enemies breaking half of DS3.

While this is inherent to RPGs, it's not an issue. The point is that your character also gets stronger.

But yeah, sounds like you just want a slower-paced, more deliberate action game.

Yep.
...and I know why.
It's moreso I'm hoping it's just the way I play souls, and that maybe there is still difficulty to be found for me.

I dunno, I've been suffering "souls fatigue" for almost a year and a half now, since so much of the joy in the series is overcoming a challenge, but when you're facerolling half the game...
Hoping a more simplified one would fix this issue for me. Sadly, bloodborne didn't do that.
And I know that me saying souls is easy bothers a ton of GAF-- it always will. I say it because until I get the "hell yes I beat false king allant underleveled and undergeared, what a sucess!" feeling from Demon, I'm not going to feel some amazing feeling from the series again. I'll still love it, but I feel like something in it is missing?

Anyways, night all!

edit:
And I think you're underestimating it. Feels like Souls games appeal to a completely different bunch than pure action games do.

e: obviously there is overlap too, in case someone takes this as me saying DMC fans won't like Souls
hence why I want a Feels like Souls from FROM? Because of this exact reason
I like souls a lot more than DMC.

Yep.
...and I know why.
It's moreso I'm hoping it's just the way I play souls, and that maybe there is still difficulty to be found for me.

I dunno, I've been suffering "souls fatigue" for almost a year and a half now, since so much of the joy in the series is overcoming a challenge, but when you're facerolling half the game...
Hoping a more simplified one would fix this issue for me. Sadly, bloodborne didn't do that.
And I know that me saying souls is easy bothers a ton of GAF-- it always will. I say it because until I get the "hell yes I beat false king allant underleveled and undergeared, what a sucess!" feeling from Demon, I'm not going to feel some amazing feeling from the series again. I'll still love it, but I feel like something in it is missing?

Anyways, night all!

maybe it's time for some SL1 runs. I made an Sl1 for DS1 and I really enjoy using it to invade Anor Londo.

The (optional boss) C
hampion
G
undyr
fight is now one of my favorite boss fights in Souls. No magic, no shields...just a dance with steel.

Yeah that fight was awesome. Ending was so tense. Had him down to a few swings with 6 estus left. By the time I finally got him down I was on my last one.

Kinda makes me wish they did bosses with more varied melee attacks though
The shoulder charge and back kick caught me off guard so many times.

Veggy

Yep.
...and I know why.

Anyways, night all!

edit:

I had a similar discussion with a friend a few days ago, the bosses are just way easier this time around

*sigh*

You said basically the same to me.

We know how to get through the area man, that's not the issue. It's still a shitty area that is badly designed.

it didn't really sound like you had it figured out so I offered some tips that make the area a little less miserable. so very sorry.

Mutombo

i'm 20 hours in and I think a lot of those hours were spent dying and trying.

Finally beat the dancer boss with the help of my brother. Barely made it as well. I was level 50, he was 40-ish. Now I've got to get more titanite scales to level the weapon up. Story wise, I've done the
cathedral and the Lord of Wolnir.

Bosses have been a bit easy; a bit too been there done that, die once, get the strategy, kill on second try kind of thing.

Question though; anyone know what 'hollowing' implies? I've got 99 Hollowing.

And what covenant is more popular? Blue Covenant or Blue Sentinels? They both seem to do the same. And can you get summoned if you're not Ember?

I fucking love the game man. It can't beat the majestic world of DS1 though; I loved being able to walk everywhere, the feeling of going deeper and deeper into a world. But the areas so far are, well, they're still Dark Souls. I need to check back areas when I've cleared them a bit more, to farm weapons and look for secrets and such.

MUnited83

For you.
I was using the irithyll sword. It was good for stuns only at the end of a combo. I'm about Sl 35 as well if that makes a difference. I spent a couple deaths trying to get parries down. It's a bit too hectic to parry well.
SL 36 here, so yeah, might be from the weapon.

Yep.
...and I know why.

Anyways, night all!

edit:

Oh yeah, it's ridiculous how much you can just R1 mash in the early game. Enemies have ridiculously low poise.

ExVicis

It's fucking miserable

It wasn't THAT bad. Though I will say I had a horrible time because I completely missed the one of the fires. I wandered around the whole damn thing multiple times for the better part of two hours looking for the last fire when finally I realized it was the first place I went to in the damn swamp.

MicSte79

Neo Member
A question re: Undead Settlement.

Is
that huge tree boss optional? He is kicking my arse, even when I summons we all get killed.

Menome

A question re: Undead Settlement.

Is
that huge tree boss optional? He is kicking my arse, even when I summons we all get killed.

Yes, but it gives you a very important item.

Best strategy is:
Left hand, left foot, crotch area.

Then after the transition: Lower back, crotch, then attack the centre hand if there's still a bit of health left.

If you run in and be aggressive, you can trigger the transition in about a minute, which kills off the small enemies.

aravuus

No idea why it'd have to be from FROM.

I just found it funny how you started describing a Souls game with this element that is a big part of them removed, and that element that's a big part of them removed, and this and that etc, when you could have just said you wanted an action game with Souls-like combat and difficulty.

Quick question (looking for a simple answer); also I'm going to spoil the whole thing just in case. For spoiler context I'm five bosses in:

Did I miss an arcane spell tome? I did the Cathedral but not the swamp. I found two faith tomes, a pyro tome, but nothing for arcane (which is my main source of damage). Thanks!

Edit: I actually have another question as well...

I'm still using the ice sword. Is there a better weapon for a str/int hybrid I might have missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom