• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been called out for this a few times on GAF. Is it unplayable for like, 99% of the population? Nah. I'm sure you can get used to it, or at least push it to the back of your mind in an attempt to enjoy the game. That said, I can't. I've tried. I want to. But I obviously don't want to enough to get past it. The juddering catastrophe that is the framerate ruins an otherwise beautiful, fantastic Souls-esque game.

I'd love to play it someday, but I can't see myself getting into it again unless they patch it, release it on PC, or if there's a competent PS4 emulator in a few decades.

After getting so used to 60fps, 4k gaming, it is so difficult to go back to 1080p and 30fps. Bloodborne is so great, but I'm unable to finish it or mess with the DLC due to its performance issues and PS4 exclusivity. Shame.

In which case the only one we'll have numbers on will be PC, and with Dark Souls 1, 2, and SotFS, there were always thousands upon thousands playing each one every day. No platform will have any shortage of players.
Yeah I'm just hoping they don't fragment the user base again down the line like they did with ds2/sotfs btw steam cloud save support for this anyone know? Mobile atm so can't check

Jobbs

Banned
To anyone wondering about faith, it's generally very gimpy right now, at least as of a few days ago when I last played the JP version.

This is my cleric. In this video I had 34 faith, a miracle increasing ring, a +6 upgraded catalyst, and I'm testing Greater Lightning Spear which I got by
farming 30 sunbro medals.

Behold the damage

In other words -- Useless. Useless. At 24 attunement, I only had enough mana to cast 4 of them on one bar, and they basically do miniscule damage. No practical use for GLS in its current form.

Faith is mainly useful for its heals, in particular, a chime that has a regen art on it which produces a very mana efficient heal.

There's also a buff you can get with
10 sunbro medals which gives you about a 10% increase to damage/defense (if I recall) for 60 seconds. The buff is also applied to any friendly phantoms who are standing closeby when you cast it.

I've seen enemies/npcs cast really cool miracles like lightning storm and throw what could only be described as "lightning grenades". I hope those things can be gotten and are any good.

In any case, if you insist on going for cleric, don't expect a lot, especially on the damage side (force can be situationally useful for pushing things off cliffs, but it seems to have absolutely no effect on most tougher enemies like black knights anyway)

Hopefully they rebalance it soon.

MegaMelon

So they're selling it in stores now for consoles.

PC getting screwed over again.

You say that like stores breaking release date is some sort of formal official pro to playing on a console. We're still gonna be playing the same game, and having the same great experience, only a few days later. I can understand the anger behind us getting it 3 weeks later than Japan but complaining about stores breaking release date is silly.

Kaibutsu

Oh wow, my Collector's Edition is out for delivery. Praise the Sun! That being said, I'm still in the middle of my Dark Souls 1 first time play through. Just beat the shitshow Sen's Fortress and entered Painted World of Ariamis. Looks like I won't be finishing that game before I start playing III after all.

Audioboxer

You say that like stores breaking release date is some sort of formal official pro to playing on a console. We're still gonna be playing the same game, and having the same great experience, only a few days later. I can understand the anger behind us getting it 3 weeks later than Japan but complaining about stores breaking release date is silly.

A lot of it these days tends to be online retailers shipping early for the fear of backlash that someone's post is slow and comes a day later than release. Of course some retailers online have built up a reputation of getting you stuff early and I'm sure they enjoy the additional pre-order sales that brings. They still have a genuine reason to ship a day or two early though.

No excuses for retail stores, they should be adhering to release dates (outside of mom and pop which are rare anyway).

Chorazin

I totally never realized my Amazon PS4 order didn't have release date shipping. :/ Cancelled and went digital, and it's downloading now! I can't wait those extra days to play especially when my usually busy Wednesday night is free this week.

neoism

feels.png

i just wanta play already....

Unai

On release day? Because Yah after dozens of steam sales and the games being $5 so often, I don't see how the prior games don't always end up having the most users. But I like the opening rush a lot with a wide swath of newbies and pros alike.

Maybe so then these days. For his decision making then either option will still yield a more active community than versus XB1.

The data was from the first month of Dark Souls II release, yes.

pvpq0uth.png

saunderez

Was gonna get this on PS4 but after hearing about the framerate issues (which always bugged me with Bloodborne) I said screw it and picked it up on PC and saved $12 in the process. Kudos to GMG for the instant key delivery, preloading now. Love that there's an official Steam Controller config, thanks for the jumping off point From.

Griss

Excitement is building. It's preloading on PS4 as we speak. Cost a lot of euros, dammit, (70 ffs - $80 equivalent) but this is the kind of game you want to be there on launch so you can discover the secrets along with everyone else.

I've stayed almost completely blind - something that gets easier as I get older. Haven't watched a single video, but I've been spoiled on the appearance of one specific location. That media shutdown means I'm not sure what quality to expect, though. I hope it's closer in quality to Bloodborne and DS1 than DS2, but even DS2 was a top quality game so I feel like there's little chance I get disappointed, but I really want this to be From's crowning masterpiece.

The big question is what stat to focus on. In Demon's I went magic, Dark I went Dex, BB Dex again, then DS2 strength. It might be time to try Pyromancy or Faith but neither have ever really appealed to me...

I've got two levels left in Yoshi's Wooly World and 100%'d Pikmin 3 last night, lol. If I can beat those after work I will have timed this all so perfectly.

Arkeband

Banned
So if I'm reading the OP right, there's really no downside to going Depraved?

Depraved / Waste of Skin best class. You ain't strugglin' unless you start your journey as a zombie, beating other zombies with your bare hands to take their broken weapons.

Jobbs

Banned
So if I'm reading the OP right, there's really no downside to going Depraved?

Depraved / Waste of Skin best class. You ain't strugglin' unless you start your journey as a zombie, beating other zombeis with your bare hands to take their broken weapons.

Things are a lot easier with some starting classes compared to others -- especially if you're a newb.

Knight and Herald are by far the easiest to start with for newbies.

Deprived doesn't have the best stat distribution so I wouldn't recommend it if you have a plan and want to waste no points.

Sh1ner

UK time is 10PM or 12PM I need to know goddamit!!

Pretty sure in the UK on steam it unlocks in 9 hours which makes it 22:00.

I am currently playing Dark Souls 2. I play with spear and shield / sword and shield with light armor as I prefer quick movement to dodge and roll. What is the best class to pick for me?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no preload on PS4? Bought on the webstore but it isn't showing in my download queue - only the soundtrack and dynamic theme.

Also any advice on starting setup? I think I went pyromancer with Dark Souls 1, but played a lot with bow and spear (I like hiding behind shields). Skipped DS2

I need to get my PC connected to my TV eventually. Dark Souls is a game that needs to be in my living room as it can be quite the spectator sport in my family :)

Shari

Pretty sure in the UK on steam it unlocks in 9 hours which makes it 22:00.

I am currently playing Dark Souls 2. I play with spear and shield / sword and shield with light armor as I prefer quick movement to dodge and roll. What is the best class to pick for me?

Its midnight for everyone on Steam.

Sanctuary

Reading comprehension, yo. Easier doesn't mean only. Of course you can hack consoles but it's much easier to see that on PC.

It's not a reading comprehension issue. The point is that it being "more difficult" is a dumb reason since it exists in the first place. You act as though your chance to encounter someone with a hacked file is significanlty higher on PC. Ok, I'll bite. Significantly higher, as in a .0005% chance instead of a .0001% chance. That reasoning is just pointless.

GorillaJu

Things are a lot easier with some starting classes compared to others -- especially if you're a newb.

Knight and Herald are by far the easiest to start with for newbies.

Deprived doesn't have the best stat distribution so I wouldn't recommend it if you have a plan and want to waste no points.

With respect to Soul Level, deprived will always have more stat points per SL than any other class.

The other thing is that once you get to the shrine, you get a lot of leeway as a deprived. Since your SL is 1 (the only class that starts at 1), leveling up costs damn near nothing for the first 10-15 levels.

The club isn't a bad weapon and you can replace it really quickly anyway if you don't like it.

E92 M3

Yeah that really does seem low. It's early game though, I'm only lvl 30 or something.

Still, 600 seems very, very low. They nerfed invasion farming lol.

I'm wondering if the hardcover strategy guide is worth getting?

lEhmnOd.jpg

Tempting.

Yeah, I got it for collection purposes. Have all of the other guides (still sealed). And for some reason I own 3 Dark Souls 1 guides lol.

Kaibutsu

lEhmnOd.jpg

Tempting.

In the past all of the hardcover guides for the Souls games have been really nice. I like them mostly for the artwork and some of the lore and item descriptions. I've bought every one of them.

Drewfonse

lEhmnOd.jpg

Tempting.

Mine is arriving tomorrow. They are typically beautiful and not that expensive. I always get the hardcover guides for these games, but mainly use them on subsequent play throughs.

Also, WTF is up with Amazon delivering my game on TH? I had free release day delivery. If my mom wasn't arriving on tuesday, I'd be livid.

Can't wait!

Sylas

lEhmnOd.jpg

Tempting.

If you want it for something to look at, get it. If you want something for information, the entirety of the guide will probably be posted within a day. The information inside of it will also change with patches and DLC.

Jobbs

Banned
With respect to Soul Level, deprived will always have more stat points per SL than any other class.

The other thing is that once you get to the shrine, you get a lot of leeway as a deprived. Since your SL is 1 (the only class that starts at 1), leveling up costs damn near nothing for the first 10-15 levels.

The club isn't a bad weapon and you can replace it really quickly anyway if you don't like it.

oh I didn't realize deprived got to be SL 1 with 10 in everything. That actually sounds good then.

Pro tip for the clubs/axes with warcry art (many of them do have it) -- if you have the warcry up, your charge R2 changes to a beastly new move that can really rek.

Audioboxer

I've now started on PS4 and for what it is worth the framerate at the start with the fog is definitely a bit better on PS4 than XB1. Have ran both copies one after the other.

Brohan

Just picked up the steelbook version (ps4) at my local Game Mania.

They said that they got the go from Namco to release the game a day earlier. According to them it had to do with another shop breaking the street date.

AmyS

If you want it for something to look at, get it. If you want something for information, the entirety of the guide will probably be posted within a day. The information inside of it will also change with patches and DLC.

I was thinking about that, and I know there was no guide published for Scholar of the First Sin (with all the DLC), only original DSII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom