• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just did some testing on my Jap copy with invasion. EU based so when i had cross region play enabled i had no problems connecting with people, when i set it to restricted to region i assumed it will only connect me with players from Japan but it seems to check the region I'm located which is good, it was harder to find people for obvious reasons and anyone i found was using pretty "english" id's, oh and they quit on me... Seems about right.

The EU users quit on you? Why?

Audioboxer

Even disregarding frame pacing, the framerate drops at some points in the game on consoles. A locked 30fps would be a massive improvement in comparison.

As much as I love Souls, From really need a 2 year turnaround on the next addition. DLC will serve DS3 over the next year. Get their technical issues sorted. They need to stop getting a free pass now, considering this isn't Demons Souls and a new franchise. With all the money they've made it's time to invest in new staff to bulk up their lack of technical ability.

Their art design is top tier, but it's just not acceptable now to have all these issues from a title aiming for 30FPS. Was glad to see Jim Sterling dock the console review a point.

Been playing this since Saturday. Having a lot of fun so far. It felt really easy until I hit a snag last night with the option to fight two tough bosses who can both kick my ass quite easily.

Lethal

Neo Member
The 60fps combined with the BB engine and a next genish feel (compared to 2) has me hyped for this. I know next to nothing about the game and I intend to keep it that way.

DaS 2 disappointed me. Very much.

Melchiah

I've been looking at starting guides, like I did with Bloodborne, but haven't found an answer there. So, I wonder if anyone here could offer some advice?

I have only played BB before, and I preferred the faster skill-based weapons there. Looking at the DS3 guides, it seems like skill-based classes like Mercenary would be harder for a newcomer than Knight or Warrior. So, my question is, am I locked to a certain type of weapons and armor if I choose a class? If I choose the Knight, I wouldn't want to use only slower and heavier weapons and knight armor throughout the game.

And how more challenging the Mercenary class would be exactly?

Nuszka

The EU users quit on you? Why?

New to the game?, scared of losing their souls?...etc On other note used some
dried fingers
last night and oh god, 4v4 pvp is total mayhem, that session lasted like 30 minutes, constantly getting invaded and summoning more unaware helpers lol.

KitJ7Sa.jpg

D7pgsoN.jpg

lwost2R.jpg

kELktfi.jpg
sorry if old-exciting stuff

Anyone got a good lore/story recap of DS I, DS II + DS II DLC? Text or video, doesn't matter.
Played all but DS II DLC so I'm out of the loop for III :/

E92 M3

I've been looking at starting guides, like I did with Bloodborne, but haven't found an answer there. So, I wonder if anyone here could offer some advice?

I have only played BB before, and I preferred the faster skill-based weapons there. Looking at the DS3 guides, it seems like skill-based classes like Mercenary would be harder for a newcomer than Knight or Warrior. So, my question is, am I locked to a certain type of weapons and armor if I choose a class? If I choose the Knight, I wouldn't want to use only slower and heavier weapons and knight armor throughout the game.

You are not locked into you anything. You can choose knight and then spec into magic with the right items lol. There are a ton of fast weapons and I use them myself.

ogbg

Starting class hardly makes any difference. You can pick up all the different starting weapons and gear (plus loads more) as you go along in the world. My advice would be don't worry about it and just adapt your character and your playstyle as you go along.

Audioboxer

How terrible is the Framerate on consoles near the
swamp
?

Xbox One chugs right out the gate at the start where there are smoke smoke effects on the ground. I assume the area you mentioned will be a disaster if there is lots of stuff going on. About to test PS4 at the starting area.

Zocano

Dunno why but I'd rather get my second copy on ps4 over PC cause I feel it would be more fun to play with console players over PC and deal with a much easier susceptibility to hacking and cheating. Also performance isn't a huuuuuuge priority for me so I won't exactly feel bad for it.

Xbox One chugs right out the gate at the start where there are smoke smoke effects on the ground. I assume the area you mentioned will be a disaster if there is lots of stuff going on. About to test PS4 at the starting area.

the area he mentioned is actually fine.

its fog. fog destroys the framerate on consoles. the starting area has a bunch so it actually gets better performing as you go along

E92 M3

Dunno why but I'd rather get my second copy on ps4 over PC cause I feel it would be more fun to play with console players over PC and deal with a much easier susceptibility to hacking and cheating. Also performance isn't a huuuuuuge priority for me so I won't exactly feel bad for it.

Yeah, I'm getting the CE for PS4.

Audioboxer

PS4 will undoubtedly have the biggest player base. However if you own on XB1 already PC would be a better bet, and cheaper. This is coming from an XB1, and now PS4 owner. However I don't do much PC gaming as I prefer playing on a 55" TV with my decent audio setup.

the area he mentioned is actually fine.

its fog. fog destroys the framerate on consoles. the starting area has a bunch so it actually gets better performing as you go along

Thought as much. Maybe they should have nerfed the fog on consoles as it gives a really poor starting impression!

ACG's, a game reviewer and fellow GAFFER, review showed him playing on a 980i and it was like 17-22 fps.....so can't imagine it on PS4/XBONE.

Mogwai

No ones judging you.

Proceed.

Knuf

My collector's edition has just been shipped, and tracking system says it should be here tomorrow: thank you based Amazon!

dealer-

I'm tempted to do the same. I just lost my save on Xbox One and I was on the last boss so may start again with a dex build. Is the PS4 version that much better?

Shari

PS4 will undoubtedly have the biggest player base. However if you own on XB1 already PC would be a better bet, and cheaper. This is coming from an XB1, and now PS4 owner. However I don't do much PC gaming as I prefer playing on a 55" TV with my decent audio setup.

Bolded is not true, people keep throwing this uninformed sentence around.

Someone posted actual data a while back and the biggest playerbase for previous titles was PC.

Zocano

Someone posted actual data a while back and the biggest playerbase for previous titles was PC.

On release day? Because Yah after dozens of steam sales and the games being $5 so often, I don't see how the prior games don't always end up having the most users. But I like the opening rush a lot with a wide swath of newbies and pros alike.

Audioboxer

Maybe so then these days. For his decision making then either option will still yield a more active community than versus XB1.

Melchiah

You are not locked into you anything. You can choose knight and then spec into magic with the right items lol. There are a ton of fast weapons and I use them myself.

Starting class hardly makes any difference. You can pick up all the different starting weapons and gear (plus loads more) as you go along in the world. My advice would be don't worry about it and just adapt your character and your playstyle as you go along.

Thanks. I'll go with the Knight then, as it seems to be an easier option at the beginning.

Oh wow my PS4 controller literally had cobwebs on it! That' so crazy...

I only finished off platinuming Bloodborne a month or 2 ago, so that really says more about my housekeeping than the PS4 library, lol

Nuszka

ACG's, a game reviewer and fellow GAFFER, review showed him playing on a 980i and it was like 17-22 fps.....so can't imagine it on PS4/XBONE.

Havent noticed many drops on ps4 in this specific area, have seen his video and can confirm that its nowhere near as bad as what he showed, think he had some additional effects that are not maxed out on ps4.

Lyng

Just ordered the game for pc. Have a somewhat beefy pc that ran Witcher 3 on ultra with solid 60fps so should have no issues with this.

My very first Souls game. Scared and excited at the same time. Time to git gud

On release day? Because Yah after dozens of steam sales and the games being $5 so often, I don't see how the prior games don't always end up having the most users. But I like the opening rush a lot with a wide swath of newbies and pros alike.
Guess we can check steam spy in a couple days to see the numbers but to say ds1/2 only sold on sale is silly.

drotahorror

Multiplayer makes console framerates at times get distractingly bad. PC is the superior option here

Not surprised. I never dogged bloodborne for it's framerate and pacing issues but when I was co-oping or pvping it was awful at times. Like 20fps awful.

Hypron

On release day it won't really matter though because all 3 platforms will have way more than enough players. It's down the line that the active player base becomes more of an issue.

Not surprised. I never dogged bloodborne for it's framerate and pacing issues but when I was co-oping or pvping it was awful at times. Like 20fps awful.

There's one specific boss fight in particular in DaS3 that's got an absolute dogshit framerate in coop. It's already running below 30 in solo, but when you summon people it gets bad.

Sanctuary

This is so overblown. It also implies that it's impossible to have a modified console save.

PS4 will undoubtedly have the biggest player base.

Why do you believe this? Dark Souls 2 had a larger and more consistent player base on PC.

For the original Dark Souls, this is exactly how I look at it too. That was not the case with the second game though. There was also that month gap, and many people double-dipped.

On release day it won't really matter though because all 3 platforms will have way more than enough players. It's down the line that the active player base becomes more of an issue.
In which case the only one we'll have numbers on will be PC, and with Dark Souls 1, 2, and SotFS, there were always thousands upon thousands playing each one every day. No platform will have any shortage of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom