• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting my arse kicked by those Lothric Knights, parrying them is a no-go for me. However, the stance charge from the Uchigatana is useful as it breaks through their shields and stuns them for a bit. I'm trying to farm them for armor and weapon drop, so I need a much more efficient strategy.

Also, what affects armor weight? Does it impact stamina usage?

Darak

High
Lord Wolnir
is such a gimmicky boss. 6/10

That boss would have been so much better without the gimmick weak points. That is also true of all other gimmick bosses in the game, IMHO. They actually look great and have decent attack patterns, you just do crap damage if you don't go for the gimmick :(

MicSte79

Neo Member
Yes, but it gives you a very important item.

Best strategy is:
Left hand, left foot, crotch area.

Then after the transition: Lower back, crotch, then attack the centre hand if there's still a bit of health left.

If you run in and be aggressive, you can trigger the transition in about a minute, which kills off the small enemies.

Thanks!

I'm getting my arse kicked by those Lothric Knights, parrying them is a no-go for me. However, the stance charge is useful as it breaks through their shields and stuns them for a bit. I'm trying to farm them for armor and weapon drop, so I need a much more efficient strategy.

Also, what affects armor weight? Does it impact stamina usage?

As long as you are under 70% you are good.

Came across this sequence of messages earlier. This community man
Ha thats awesome.

Ok, I just met Patches and now he is hanging out in Firelink. He sells some awesome stuff, including a ring that boosts your kick, and
Catarina armor
(armor spoiler).

Does he do anything to NPCs? He mentioned
Greirat, so I wonder if he will kill him

So,
Deacons of the Deep
is a joke fight, right?

They didn't actually think that was an okay bossfight to put out... Right?

It was a WORSE version of
Dark Souls II's Skeleton Lords
. At least that had different kinds of enemies...

The
Deacons of the Deep
boss fight is laughable.

same post time

you're my kind of guy

myco666

So how is the grind to all the stuff from covenants needed for the achiviements?

That boss would have been so much better without the gimmick weak points. That is also true of all other gimmick bosses in the game, IMHO. They actually look great and have decent attack patterns, you just do crap damage if you don't go for the gimmick :(

Gimmick bosses are the best. There should have been even more of those in the game.

Brakke

Banned
Ok, I just met Patches and now he is hanging out in Firelink. He sells some awesome stuff, including a ring that boosts your kick, and
Catarina armor
(armor spoiler).

Does he do anything to NPCs? He mentioned
Greirat, so I wonder if he will kill him

He stole that armor. The character is naked in a well outside Cleansing Chapel I think it's called, near the Cathedral of Deep. I merced Patches and returned the armor to its owner.

Menome

PS4: Is anybody willing to trade me the armour that Y
uria
drops when killed? I may be able to swap some items from the early-game/Crow-swap if you've missed them and I've not sold them. I'm as far as having defeated the A
byss
W
atchers
boss.

Ask someone to back it up to cloud/usb, then give it to you
item duping 101 :p

*slaps forehead* Of course!

Anybody feeling kind enough to help out with this on PS4?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I was so excited when I found out
Ornstein's
set is in the game but
Fire witch
is really hitting my fashion souls spot.

Roufianos

Really enjoying this so far, I wasn't even going to get it but I finished Quantum Break in a few days and Ratchet isn't out here for another week.

I've tried all of these games except Dark Souls 2 and the furtherest I've got is the 4th boss in Bloodborne, hopefully I'll at least be able to better that.

He stole that armor. The character is naked in a well outside Cleansing Chapel I think it's called, near the Cathedral of Deep. I merced Patches and returned the armor to its owner.

Thanks for the tip! As for the other items he sells (the consumable stuff), does Greirat or another merchant sell those if I kill Patches?

Moff

how do you kill the big giants in the cathedral of the deep?
I can hardly move in the water and they pretty much one hit me

I'd like to get the spear Saint Bident next to one of them but I can't even die my way to that location

I'd like to get the spear Saint Bident next to one of them but I can't even die my way to that location

I hugged their legs and just kept slashing with the Uchi. Bleed helped out. And don't lock on, just manually move the camera and roll away when it tries to stomp you.

Well, just moments away from fighting the final boss. Been a great journey but the majority of the boss fights have been pretty disappointing :/. Doesn't help that the ost is mostly a step down coming from Bloodborne imo.

Zocano

Smoldering Lake
labyrinth reminded me of the Chalice Dungeons, now I remember why I hate the Chalice Dungeons.

Ironically, I think that's probably the most interesting level in the whole game. At least it tries to do something with its level design rather than feeling like a corridor.

Moff

I hugged their legs and just kept slashing with the Uchi. Bleed helped out. And don't lock on, just manually move the camera and roll away when it tries to stomp you.

Stay by the right ankle and they can't hit you for shit.

drop down into the green muck

heal

roll to the door

open door

that's how i did it

help people beat bosses

I'll try all of this, thanks guys

:/ well okay then...

Made it to the end? of the(lateish game?) G
rand
A
rchives
, and uh...
I got tossed around by Lbro for a while, but managed to chop him in the knee just as he was slicing my everything in half. So then it went through a cutscene and started a whole new part of the fight, but I was already in the dying animation, because I guess the last attack really did hit me. And that was also after using all of my estus... I might bite and finally summon someone to help if things(or me) don't get better >_>

vac

Neo Member

Have you been along the middle balcony yet? The giant stands up and starts swiping at you. If you run round to the middle of the balcony there's an area that opens up a little bit backwards into the wall. You can fight him easily here. Can also hide in the left corner here and his left arm(from your perspective) will always miss you...wait for him to hit, stab arm and repeat. Just make sure to roll out of way for the right arm but the timing is easy.....alternatively arrow him

For the other Giant huddled in the back left of the room, you can arrow him and he won't move, or just roll right past him. If you keep rolling through sludge he shouldn't hit you. Once you get to the steps behind him, you can whack his leg a few times, he'll stand up at which point you back away a bit, he'll sit down again..repeat. Kinda lame but w.e, anything goes in DS

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I love this game, but the sad truth is that the camera is the toughest enemy in this entire game sometimes.

Moff

Stay by the right ankle and they can't hit you for shit.

Have you been along the middle balcony yet? The giant stands up and starts swiping at you. If you run round to the middle of the balcony there's an area that opens up a little bit backwards into the wall. You can fight him easily here. Can also hide in the left corner here and his left arm(from your perspective) will always miss you...wait for him to hit, stab arm and repeat. Just make sure to roll out of way for the right arm but the timing is easy.....alternatively arrow him

For the other Giant huddled in the back left of the room, you can arrow him and he won't move, or just roll right past him. If you keep rolling through sludge he shouldn't hit you. Once you get to the steps behind him, you can whack his leg a few times, he'll stand up at which point you back away a bit, he'll sit down again..repeat. Kinda lame but w.e, anything goes in DS
I tried that on the middle balcony, but he always hit me anyway with the left arm, maybe I need to be more careful.

what were those walls you could get up for anyway? I killed the boss but never saw any use in those

ramyeon

Wait, being invaded by multiple people at once is a thing now? I didn't summon anyone and got invaded and ganked by two people at the same time :/

Brakke

Banned
Thanks for the tip! As for the other items he sells (the consumable stuff), does Greirat or another merchant sell those if I kill Patches?

He does drop an ash, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to say for sure if everything carried over.

Oh look some
Catacombs with respawning skeletons.
So fucking original, never seen before. :sigh:

Yeah a lot of the early zones are pretty rote. The one after that one got me pretty hyped tho, looks gorgeous.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Copy pasting this from the Wiki for people who may not be aware:

Run and Roll Speed
The roll and run speed of the player will vary with the amount of equipped weight.

Equip Weight above 100% of total Equip Load leaves the player unable to roll and run.
Trying to roll or backstep at this weight will stun the character.
Equip weight above 50% and up to 100% of Equip Load gives slow movement, and causes the player to 'fat roll'.
Equip weight above 25% and up to 50% of Equip Load gives medium movement.
There are also two different speeds to medium rolls, above and below 37.5%.
Equip weight equal to and below 25% of Equip Load gives fast movement.
Equip weight below 25% also has 4 individual speeds:
The fastest speed is achieved at 0% equip. The only weapons with no weight are Dragon Body and the Pyromancy Flame.
The other speed ranges are from 0.1% to 8.3%, 8.4% to 16.6%, and 16.7% to 25%.

Seems like the real fat rolls are at 70% and up, actually. The one just below it seems to have enough speed to deal with anything without feeling vulnerable.

Shahadan

I have to say, fuck this Wolnir bullshit. Can't see shit, camera is trash, lock-on is dumb.

Also, fuck people returning home in the middle of the boss, fuck people not even doing anything, fuck this trash matchmaking system, fuck people being stuck behind the door or getting disconnected or crashing because this game is full of bugs, and fuck everything actually.

Managed to do it alone eventually but still >(

NEO0MJ

I apreciate that the
Abyss Watchers
boss fight
wasn't a horde battle. I was scared for a moment when two of them rose from the ground, only for one of them to fight with me and turn it into a two on two battle, which then shifted to a one on one battle.

McBryBry

So I'm currently in S
moldering
L
ake
and getting WRECKED by the
crabs
that I'm assumed to get passed. I haven't gone past the boss of the C
atacombs
after beating him, and I know S
moldering
L
ake
is optional. Am I supposed to tackle it later or something?

Run and Roll Speed
The roll and run speed of the player will vary with the amount of equipped weight.

Equip Weight above 100% of total Equip Load leaves the player unable to roll and run.
Equip weight above 50% and up to 100% of Equip Load gives slow movement, and causes the player to 'fat roll'.
The fastest speed is achieved at 0% equip. The only weapons with no weight are Dragon Body and the Pyromancy Flame.

Isn't it 70% and up that gives you slow movement? I don't fat roll if I'm in the 60s.

derFeef

I am having an easier time after restarting with Pyromancy, it's just my jam I remember frm DS1. Still this is much tougher for me, that first knight fucks me over real hard and I do not see any other way. I bought the leather shield which gives me much higher physical protection and put on the armor you get from the undead, have not tried again though. :-(

105.Will

Run and Roll Speed

Isn't it 70% and up that gives you slow movement? I don't fat roll if I'm in the 60s.

Yeah, i'm at 69.9 with medium roll. As soon as i go 70 or above i fat roll

So,
Deacons of the Deep
is a joke fight, right?

They didn't actually think that was an okay bossfight to put out... Right?

It was a WORSE version of
Dark Souls II's Skeleton Lords
. At least that had different kinds of enemies...

same post time

you're my kind of guy

psych-shawn-gus-fist-bumps.gif

vac

Neo Member

Run and Roll Speed

This is wrong for DS3? Think that's from 1 or 2. Here is 3:

0-30% Fastest state: very fast rolls that go the furthest, with 13 iframes. Fast Backsteps
30-70% Regular state: medium rolls with 13 iframes. Fast Backsteps
70-100% Slow state: "fat" slow and short rolls, 12 iframes Slow Backsteps.
Over 100% Overburdened: cannot roll or backstep

Any hints for
curse rotted greatwood
?

It's really hard to get in at his weak points in the second stage :/

You can always hit his arm as well. Fire seems to work well.

This is wrong for DS3? Think that's from 1 or 2. Here is 3:

0-30% Fastest state: very fast rolls that go the furthest, with 13 iframes. Fast Backsteps
30-70% Regular state: medium rolls with 13 iframes. Fast Backsteps
70-100% Slow state: "fat" slow and short rolls, 12 iframes Slow Backsteps.
Over 100% Overburdened: cannot roll or backstep
This is more true I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom